ADVERTISEMENT

The Bond Between Sports and Family

bleediteveryday30

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 24, 2013
No matter who you want to win next Sunday or what you think of Brady this story made this fella get misty eyed. I have such a strong bond with my parents on sports teams. My dad and I are rabid Raiders fans. Still waiting on that Super Bowl celebration together one day. Although, technically when I was a child he was holding me watching them beat the Skins at the '84 Super Bowl. He counts it, I don't, haha The Super Bowl loss to the Bucs in'03 is one of only five times I have ever heard my dad curse in my life. The last 18 years since have been rough, haha Gruden and Carr have us feeling positive for the future though.

My mom and I are the crazy Dukies in our family. I still remember her letting me stay up on championship Monday for the first title in '91. One of the most precious memories I have related to sports. The Monday night of the '15 title win, we called each other to celebrate the win and recall the best moments from the year. One of my all time conversations with her about Duke. I would add that my youngest brother is an avid Carolina fan and I have the most fun watching games with him, even though we're coming at it from 8 miles apart. He knows, loves, and appreciates the game. So, we can actually discuss it beyond just the heated rivalry. Can't get enough of it. Not having the tourney last season eliminated our usual yearly watch party. Our favorite sports time of the year.

I get my love of sports and my teams from them. Reading this story just brought all that to the forefront. So, I was wondering if any of you guys/ladies have similar experiences with siblings or parents or both.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT