ADVERTISEMENT

Stay at home choice/mandatory, "working from home" people. What are you doing to pass the time?

LetsGoDuke301

Cameron Crazy
Apr 4, 2009
Wilmington, NC
We have recently had a privacy fence installed. Vinyl for anyone who cares. Because we flood and wood and water are not good bed fellas. So now we have about 160 feet worth of barriers to put in and landscape. I must say, it is more work than I gave it credit for. Cutting out the grass and digging out about 2 inches of dirt and replacing it with soil and mulch. I spend about 2 or 3 hours "working from home" a day working in the yard. Sad to say, only a 30 foot section took me probably 6 hours all together. This is the one section so far.

20200329-110025.jpg

Elephant ears and banana trees. They multiply yearly, so it will eventually fill out.

Going to be planting more perennials along the other sections. Will probably keep me busy for at least two weeks unless I decide to do it on the weekends too.

What are some of the things you guys are doing to keep busy?

They haven't closed the lake where I work part time yet but my boss because of my age and a couple of health issues ask me to stay home for a while.The last couple of days that I worked there I haven't ever seen it so busy and that's because of sll the people coming in that have never been there before. We have a park there also and Sat. the loonies came out. There are signs everywhere about no skate boarding and a lot of them had to be ran off. People where fishing in unrestricted areas, there were way too many fishing boats for the lake and despite the constant disinfecting we just couldn't keep up. There were people both in the park and the lake that paid no attention to the rules and regulations. It was kaos to put it mildly. I need the income but decided to take off a while. I know it's gonna get worse as the weather gets better and I don't know how the current staff is going to be able to handle it. I'm hoping soon they just shut it down for the saftey of my co-workers. Most of the time the people that come out take care of the lake but with the mass of the inconsiderate people now coming the lake and park is a mess. Sooo with this dsouth post I guess I will posting more, creating off the wall threads and watching classic television. I'm home and going crazy. You all are going to have to deal with me. OFC

I’m still working out of my office, but it’s just me and all of my on-air guys. The best part? Dressing down. When I left for work the other day my six-year-old wondered where I was going. Don’t think she had ever saw dad go to work in jeans. That’s about the only good thing.

We have recently had a privacy fence installed. Vinyl for anyone who cares. Because we flood and wood and water are not good bed fellas. So now we have about 160 feet worth of barriers to put in and landscape. I must say, it is more work than I gave it credit for. Cutting out the grass and digging out about 2 inches of dirt and replacing it with soil and mulch. I spend about 2 or 3 hours "working from home" a day working in the yard. Sad to say, only a 30 foot section took me probably 6 hours all together. This is the one section so far.

20200329-110025.jpg

Elephant ears and banana trees. They multiply yearly, so it will eventually fill out.

Going to be planting more perennials along the other sections. Will probably keep me busy for at least two weeks unless I decide to do it on the weekends too.

What are some of the things you guys are doing to keep busy?
That looks nice and should stay without much upkeep. I've been rebuilding mowing deck on my twenty year old mower and working on the honey do list.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I believe that I’ve mentioned on here before that I’m disabled and in a wheelchair and I also believe that I’ve mentioned that I’ve been dealing with some medical/health issues on and off for the last several years. The medical/health issues that I’ve been dealing with are related to my disability and although they’re not really serious because of those medical/health issues that I’ve been dealing with I have to monitor how much I go out which is why I only go out on Friday nights for the most part and since all bars in North Carolina are closed for the foreseeable future I pretty much just lay around the house watching tv other than going out to ride around for a little while to get some exercise which really isn’t that often because even though it’s starting to warm up, it’s still not consistently warm enough for me to go out riding around for exercise.

I believe that I’ve mentioned on here before that I’m disabled and in a wheelchair and I also believe that I’ve mentioned that I’ve been dealing with some medical/health issues on and off for the last several years. The medical/health issues that I’ve been dealing with are related to my disability and although they’re not really serious because of those medical/health issues that I’ve been dealing with I have to monitor how much I go out which is why I only go out on Friday nights for the most part and since all bars in North Carolina are closed for the foreseeable future I pretty much just lay around the house watching tv other than going out to ride around for a little while to get some exercise which really isn’t that often because even though it’s starting to warm up, it’s still not consistently warm enough for me to go out riding around for exercise.

You uplift me my friend. My admiration for you grows. Hang i there and stay strong. OFC

You uplift me my friend. My admiration for you grows. Hang i there and stay strong. OFC
Thanks sky. It’s only been a little over 2 weeks since I’ve been able to go out on Friday night and I’m already starting to go stir crazy and considering that by the time all of this coronavirus stuff has passed it’s probably going to be at last 2 months that I will have not been able to go out on Friday nights, so I’m probably going to be flipping crazy by then. The only good thing about not being able to go out on Friday nights is that I’m going to have a lot of money saved up for when I go to the next gun and knife show whenever that might be because there’s supposed to be one at the beginning of May but I’m expecting that one to get cancelled because of the stay at home order because I’m expecting that the stay at home order to get extended if things with the coronavirus aren’t over by then. So it’s probably going to be at least August before they have another gun and knife show.

I keep hoping for mandatory at home work for a couple of weeks, but so far we're still having to show up, but the public is banned.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Still working it’s only me and one more person so I work Monday through Friday lol. Been on the road in SC so I have plenty of yard work and house work to catch up on during the weekends.

Reactions: LetsGoDuke301
Been working remote for a while now. I have a home gym so when I’m not into my work I turn the swell on, run the neighborhood. Rinse and repeat.

When my kid is here it changes the dynamic some.

Spending more time in the mountains. At least up there , i can get out and roam around on the 4 wheeler without running into other people . Turkey season coming up, in fact, might open it early , anyone know if the NC wildlife people are still working? lol

Working and teaching my kid. It's actually really nice, to teach my own son... we did a fun little poetry lesson today, and it ended with an enthusiastic fist bump over how great poetry was:)
You know, with the schools closed and a lot of parents doing home schooling, the cases of teachers having sex with students has to be down to zero.

God, I hope so anyways

Last night a couple of friends were over (shhhhhh) and we decided to start a betting game. Each pick your own ball on the pool table, place it where you want and start the Roomba in the middle of the pool table and whoever's ball is last on the table wins the money. It does a good job cleaning the table too.

You know, with the schools closed and a lot of parents doing home schooling, the cases of teachers having sex with students has to be down to zero.

God, I hope so anyways

Good luck with that.

(Id have put a winking face, but it feels gross to wink about incest.)

You get the posting handled on the national board? I posted in the mod thread.

Working and teaching my kid. It's actually really nice, to teach my own son... we did a fun little poetry lesson today, and it ended with an enthusiastic fist bump over how great poetry was:)
I’ve had these experiences with science and math with my kids the last few weeks, but when it comes to poetry we are fist bumping the computer screen in anger. I don’t handle subjectivity very well.

Reactions: TheDude1 and hpnole
Been working remote for a while now. I have a home gym so when I’m not into my work I turn the swell on, run the neighborhood. Rinse and repeat.

When my kid is here it changes the dynamic some.
What are your max numbers these days?

Working from home since March 13th. Isn't that difficult of an adjustment as most of our clients are all over the country or international (Hong Kong, Japan) and we meet with them virtually everyday. Still, trying to manage working while also taking care of a 2 1/2 year old who misses his daycare friends has been challenging. My clients get to hear occasional requests for Paw Patrol, Elmo or fruit snacks and/or bananas. Additionally, my wife works in Radiology at a DC area hospital and has been working mandatory overtime hours, almost doubling her normal hrs per week. Our garage has been transformed into a decontamination unit for when she gets home. According to her, the worst is yet to come and MD / DC are going to be bad...Stay safe my friends.

I’ve had these experiences with science and math with my kids the last few weeks, but when it comes to poetry we are fist bumping the computer screen in anger. I don’t handle subjectivity very well.
If I would have needed a math to graduate, I would still be at HPU, was HPC back then. Fortunately , we could take 2 lab sciences instead of one math course.

What are your max numbers these days?

Hell honestly I don't know. I haven't maxed out in a couple of years. When I lift I mainly focus on time under tension and progressive overload with good form

Last summer I experienced some shoulder pain and like an idiot "tried to work through it" and it got worse. In October I went to the Ortho and got an X-Ray and I had bruised my AC joint. I took two months off from compound lifts and cut the shit out of my calories because I didn't want to get fat (kept the protein high). I also started running more. I did isolation workouts to take the tension off of my shoulder till I started healing.

Been doing compound lifts again since January and I am close to a normal lifting routine again but my strength has dropped because of it. I am getting close to back to where I was I think.

It sucks I got hurt but the positive is I have lost around 20 lbs (muscle too though) but I am about as "ripped" as I was in my 20s. I am pushing for 47 and have a 6-pack so that's pretty cool.

I’ve been working from home which is new for me. This new job working with a political org has its perks but also it can be a pain. All in all I’m home with the fam

My work load has increased exponentially.

We are feeding a couple hundred people a day through my facility, plus providing shopping, in-home aide services and calling all our clients just to give the shut-in clients some socialization since our meal delivery has to be done with minimal contact.

Most clients have a basket/cooler outside for meals some are disabled enough we have to take it in to them.

Now I have been appointed County Coordinator for food services by Emergency Management so have to coordinate all the food banks as well.

I will be glad when the quarantine is over so I can rest.

I'm a manager for a grocery store. My hours, and hours of my employees, have went up exponentially in the last few weeks. Working long days and six-seven day weeks now. People are mostly behaving well working in the store and coming into it. Though we've had a few unruly customers as things have become harder to come by. Prayers for all who are out having to work in this. It's dangerous and scary.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I'm a manager for a grocery store. My hours, and hours of my employees, have went up exponentially in the last few weeks. Working long days and six-seven day weeks now. People are mostly behaving well working in the store and coming into it. Though we've had a few unruly customers as things have become harder to come by. Prayers for all who are out having to work in this. It's dangerous and scary.
Have you implemented the limit to how many of certain items you can buy?

Have you implemented the limit to how many of certain items you can buy?

Oh yeah, two on certain items. The first day we limited toilet paper I thought a man was going to fight me because he couldn't buy 4 24pks of TP. Told him that only 2 were allowed per purchase each day. He asked when the next truck would arrive and I said, "In two days". He put the other two back and said, "I'll see you in two days." My response was, "You're planning on using 48 rolls in two days?" At that moment, not gonna lie, kind of feared for my safety. The look in his eyes....woah.

Oh yeah, two on certain items. The first day we limited toilet paper I thought a man was going to fight me because he couldn't buy 4 24pks of TP. Told him that only 2 were allowed per purchase each day. He asked when the next truck would arrive and I said, "In two days". He put the other two back and said, "I'll see you in two days." My response was, "You're planning on using 48 rolls in two days?" At that moment, not gonna lie, kind of feared for my safety. The look in his eyes....woah.
Unreal. People have lost it.

Does your store have a limit of essentials products they can buy such as t.p. baby wipes and sanitizer? I found my 1st. pack of t.p. in three weeks this morning. I was allowed to buy only one and that's the way it should be. OFC

Reactions: hpnole
Does your store have a limit of essentials products they can buy such as t.p. baby wipes and sanitizer? I found my 1st. pack of t.p. in three weeks this morning. I was allowed to buy only one and that's the way it should be. OFC

We're limiting two on toilet paper, medicines, canned goods, milk, eggs, bread, water, paper towels, meat items, etc. It's tough to enforce on some because we've seen some push back at the registers with customers getting loud and passive aggressive. This has been increasing over the last week. Hopefully it begins to die down some with the stay at home order in place here in NC. But, who knows? I'm just worried about the safety of my employees and other customers when we have unruly people come in the store. Also, i'd like to see a one shopper per family rule put in place within our company. Though I doubt that happens any time soon. Limiting the amount of people entering the building obviously limits the potential exposure to an infected person working or shopping in the store. To me, right now it's all about staying safe. Some just aren't taking this seriously at all. Which is extremely concerning to me. I take care of elderly my grandparents throughout the week. I've had to limit my access to them drastically because of my exposure to so many people. Breaks my heart that I can't hug my grandparents and spend time with them right now, other than to drop off supplies at the front door. But, it's the only safe option available. So many of our senior customers have voiced their concerns to me abut the lack of product we have in supply. Which again, breaks my heart. We've actually set aside time for them to shop in the mornings in the hope that they could get out and avoid contact with a large amount of people. Sadly, some aren't able to get out that early at times. So I see so many in the store at peak sales times. Then we have a few employees who have stated it's all a hoax and walk around acting like jackasses. So those people have been sat down and spoken with. Some responded respectively, others I've actually sent home. Listen, it's one thing to have your own thoughts, beliefs, and such. It's another to endanger the lives of those around you with said beliefs. My approach has been serious from the start. I don't mess around with lives of those who work in or shop in the store. Life is too fragile, special, and important to behave in such a way. Sorry, for stepping up onto the soapbox. The last few days have just left me a bit rattled. Stressful times. I'd just ask for those who pray or send positive thoughts to please send them out to all those having to work during this crisis.

We're limiting two on toilet paper, medicines, canned goods, milk, eggs, bread, water, paper towels, meat items, etc. It's tough to enforce on some because we've seen some push back at the registers with customers getting loud and passive aggressive. This has been increasing over the last week. Hopefully it begins to die down some with the stay at home order in place here in NC. But, who knows? I'm just worried about the safety of my employees and other customers when we have unruly people come in the store. Also, i'd like to see a one shopper per family rule put in place within our company. Though I doubt that happens any time soon. Limiting the amount of people entering the building obviously limits the potential exposure to an infected person working or shopping in the store. To me, right now it's all about staying safe. Some just aren't taking this seriously at all. Which is extremely concerning to me. I take care of elderly my grandparents throughout the week. I've had to limit my access to them drastically because of my exposure to so many people. Breaks my heart that I can't hug my grandparents and spend time with them right now, other than to drop off supplies at the front door. But, it's the only safe option available. So many of our senior customers have voiced their concerns to me abut the lack of product we have in supply. Which again, breaks my heart. We've actually set aside time for them to shop in the mornings in the hope that they could get out and avoid contact with a large amount of people. Sadly, some aren't able to get out that early at times. So I see so many in the store at peak sales times. Then we have a few employees who have stated it's all a hoax and walk around acting like jackasses. So those people have been sat down and spoken with. Some responded respectively, others I've actually sent home. Listen, it's one thing to have your own thoughts, beliefs, and such. It's another to endanger the lives of those around you with said beliefs. My approach has been serious from the start. I don't mess around with lives of those who work in or shop in the store. Life is too fragile, special, and important to behave in such a way. Sorry, for stepping up onto the soapbox. The last few days have just left me a bit rattled. Stressful times. I'd just ask for those who pray or send positive thoughts to please send them out to all those having to work during this crisis.

I appreciate you getting up onto the soapbox. It needed to be heard and it needs to go out to a lot of people other than here at DI. I've been hanging at the house mostly but last weekI saw a lot of fools at the lake I work at. My boss told me that over the weekend it got worse and gave me the option of staying at home. I am retired and have that fixed income you hear all about and really need the extra income but after discussing it with my dear wife I decided to some time off and feel that we just need to tighten up some and everything will be fine in due time. I did not know you were in the grocery store business and I want to thank you for hanging in there. Someone who is in supply chain said if people from the beginning would just buy what they do regulary that when they went bsck to the store it still be plenty for all because of the way the system works. Now because of the hoarding and greed the system is all out of whack. OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
I have a mixed bag of work from home and having to go to work. Depends on the day. My wife went back to KS bc her parents work from home so she won’t be potentially exposed to the virus as much (she has preexisting conditions). So, I’m living the bachelor life for now. I have enjoyed watching the price is right more.

Reactions: skysdad
Working from home. Sometimes I just look at the elliptical machine and say, "yeah I gonna start using that thing soon". Soon never manages to come though.

Hell honestly I don't know. I haven't maxed out in a couple of years. When I lift I mainly focus on time under tension and progressive overload with good form

Last summer I experienced some shoulder pain and like an idiot "tried to work through it" and it got worse. In October I went to the Ortho and got an X-Ray and I had bruised my AC joint. I took two months off from compound lifts and cut the shit out of my calories because I didn't want to get fat (kept the protein high). I also started running more. I did isolation workouts to take the tension off of my shoulder till I started healing.

Been doing compound lifts again since January and I am close to a normal lifting routine again but my strength has dropped because of it. I am getting close to back to where I was I think.

It sucks I got hurt but the positive is I have lost around 20 lbs (muscle too though) but I am about as "ripped" as I was in my 20s. I am pushing for 47 and have a 6-pack so that's pretty cool.
That's great for your health. I want to try and do the same some day when my kids are older. I am in decent shape right now just jogging, playing soccer and doing yard work, but if I counted calories better, laid off the beer and got back to lifting a few times per week, I could return to form like you have. Thanks for the inspiration.

Reactions: HonkeyT
Okay. In retrospect, it was pretty selfish to start a thread like this.

Thank you to all of you who are sacrificing your own time with your families whether it be you are in the medical field, grocery stores, delivery services and any other services that you have had to increase your hours to accommodate the added needs of our communities. I imagine that it is tough and sometimes it seems like a thankless job. I hope it comes back to you guys in the form of good fortune and blessings.

I have been going to Walmart at 6 am on tuesdays, they open early that day for us "old folks". They had a limited amount of tp last tuesday and today . One per customer. I still saw several people try to get through the checkout with more than one, but, had to take all but one out. Problem was, that stores did not limit the number of certain items that each person could buy until there was a shortage. Actually , Walmart had most items that had been short- hand sanitizer , meat, bread , etc. Is nice to be able to go in with seniors. They don't run over you with carts, etc. Publix also opens and hour early on Tues. and Wed. Went there for a few things. They did not have tp, but , had most every thing else. We will all get through this thing, I hope. People just have to stay calm and quit buying tons of stuff that they likely will never use , in some cases before it goes bad.

Business as usual here. Two jobs and both are considered “essential” so off to work I go. FedEx air cargo here reduced operations by about 90% during this but we still get paid our guaranteed hours. I’m working one day this week, maybe 2 hours total and get paid for 18.5 hours. You can stop twisting my arm now.

There are at least 15-20 Alaska Air aircraft parked at PTI. Grounded until this virus issue has passed. It almost has a 9/11 look to it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT