ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5

I have only watched YouTube highlights , but some of you all that have watched more is Vernon really that good?
I just dont see him being that great, I hope he is, but just dont see it.

I have only watched YouTube highlights , but some of you all that have watched more is Vernon really that good?
I just dont see him being that great, I hope he is, but just dont see it.
He seems about as good as Wendell Carter to me.

Wish Baker would beef up to 210 pounds and become a better rebounder like
Pat Connaughton who played w the Irish and is now with the Bucks. At 6ft 4 and 210 pounds he is a beast under the boards and can shoot the 3.

Hoops, Pat is one of my all time fave NON-BLUE DEVILS. Quite an athlete- could have played MLB too, and he has bulked up! OFC

Everyone is discounting the big senior Aussie here. I think Jack’s experience, leadership, and energy could earn him a starting spot, especially early on. I expect he’ll take another big step in the off-season and be ready to contribute big to this team, in many ways.

But other than Tre and Vernon, no clue who starts. Think it’ll be a lot like 2016 (hopefully without the injuries) where it changes game to game.

Good call. While Javin is extremely limited offensively, his defensive athleticism/intensity provides a lot of flexibility on the defensive end.
I would still be shocked if we ever see the "3 big" lineup of Hurt, Carey, and Jav. Especially with the way modern basketball is going, more spacing and shooting is always needed.

Our best shooters on this team are taller than 6’6 though. So the positionless thing still works, just not in the typical sense of the guys being shorter than 6’5.

Let’s take this a step further.

What would be your sub patterns?

Who would end games (typically)?

How many players do you think legitimately will play off the bench?

IMO Tre is the only guy at the moment who will be in that 30 mpg realm, at least until the end of conference play heading into the tournament season.

What do you all think?

Who plays the most minutes?
1. Jones
2. Moore
3. Carey
4. Hurt
5. Javin
6. Stanley
7. White
8. Baker
9. Jordan
10. AOC
11. Justin

I predict that Baker, White or AOC may surprise us and be solid contributors averaging double digit minutes.

Reactions: dukehokie
Minutes Range:
1. Tre Jones, 35+
2. Matthew Hurt, 27-34
3. Wendell Moore, 26-33
4. Vernon Carey, 23-30
5. Cassius Stanley, 15-30
6. Javin DeLaurier, 15-25
7. Jack White, 12-24
8. Alex O'Connell, 10-22
9. Joey Baker, spot-minutes-15
10. Jordan Goldwire, spot-minutes-12

Agree that we need either Jack or Javin in the starting line up. If Jack is first semester Jack that is. Or close to it.

Give me an early 2018/19 Jack and a late 2018/19 Javin in the starting line up. Add in a driving and dishing Tre at the point - liked him best in 18/19 when he was looking to drive. Give me the best 2 shooters left on the bench. Sub as needed. Final 4 bound!

Yes, it's great to have incoming talent, and we continue to be blessed recently, but I really want to see some experienced guys develop. Either way, it's pretty darn likely that by mid ACC play it will be a 7 man rotation with spot minutes for the rest.

One concern is obviously injury. And I purposely didn't use it in the plural text. Vernon Carey has a bit of history with injuries. The main thing is going to be keeping him healthy. It's vital. If he doesn't get hurt, then I'm not worried about depth underneath.

by my accounts, we have:
3 guys that can play pg
5 guys sg
5 guys sf
5 guys pf
2 guys C

The minutes per game won't be accurate. The better the game, don't look for Tre to sit hardly at all. Hurt, if he's as advertised, will probably play at least 30 minutes a game. Carey too, unless foul trouble is an issue. I think Javin will see about 25 minutes. After these 4, I think minutes are up for grabs.

Reactions: skysdad
One concern is obviously injury. And I purposely didn't use it in the plural text. Vernon Carey has a bit of history with injuries. The main thing is going to be keeping him healthy. It's vital. If he doesn't get hurt, then I'm not worried about depth underneath.
This is spot on. If no one gets injured up front for long we are fine. But if Javin or Carey go down, we will miss Bolden.

The only issue I see is that with 2020 around the corner one would hope the bench players( Baker, Alex and Goldwire develope more because beyond them and the walk ons Duke will be thin with experienced players at every position.

Hurt and Carey -OAD
Moore and Stanley - possibly OAD
Javin and White - graduate
Tre- possibly nba bound

That only leaves the three mentioned baring a transfer returning.

My guess for starting lineup
Tre
Stanley
Moore
Hurt( don’t think he comes to Duke if he thought he’d come off the bench)
Carey.

Javin, White, Baker first three off the bench followed by Alex and Goldwire.

Reactions: christophero
I sure hope Javin is what everyone think he’s going to be. I’m not sure Javin can stay on the floor that long. He’s ummmm a foul-aholic. Plus I’m not sure Coach K will go with Hurt-Carey-Javin often. Guess we will see though

Count me in the crowd that doesn't think a lineup that includes Hurt, Carey, and Javin together is very likely. I think that lineup would have some trouble guarding people, and they would be using virtually all of their post depth at once.

I think we see:
Tre
O'Connell or Stanley
Moore
Hurt
Carey

Whichever wing doesn't start, along with Jav and Jack, are the first guys off the bench.

Current players pro/regress different than expected. Not every blue chip recruit is a baller in college. Miscellaneous things (injury, lineup chemistry, etc.) All of those factors make predictions impossible. My lineup is purely based on last yr’s performance (+Baker love) for those returning and scouting/hype for incoming.
Tre - guarantee
Stanley - IMO
Jack - IMO
Hurt - probable
Carey - probable

Let’s take this a step further. What would be your sub patterns?
Tre is playing 38-40 barring blowout. I would sub Moore/Baker in at 2 if Jack was 3 or use AOC at 2 if Moore/Baker/Hurt were playing that 3 spot. The constant perimeter experience of Jones+Jack/AOC will keep communication and movement flowing. When using Jav, which I’d do frequently he would always play 5. That slides Carey or Hurt to 4. Noting Hurt’s mobility, I’m also good with him playing the 3 with Carey/Jav at 4/5. If foul trouble erupted in the front court including Jav, I’d feel good going 5-out on offense and letting Jack do his best guarding 5 spot. Everything is just really situational.

Who would end games (typically)?
I won’t say that Tre should take final shot. I will say that I would put the set-up and decisioning in his hands. For example, if I had to run a final play right now...

Tre at the top of the key
Carey sets pick on Tre’s right
Tre drives off the screen right
Carey rolls left to basket
Hurt sets an up-screen for Carey’s roll
Then Hurt flares to high-wing perimeter
Meanwhile Jack and Moore are in each corner
— Now Tre is making the decision. Is Carey open under basket? Is he(Tre) open for middie? Is Hurt open on perimeter? Lastly, if the D-collapses in and someone is still covering Hurt then Jack and/or Moore are open in the corners.

How many players do you think legitimately will play off the bench?
Going off of my lineup, I’m blindly predicting a heavy 6th man role for Javin around 25mpg. I think AOC/Baker/JG collectively share 12-15mpg. You used the word “legitimately” and 3 guys sharing 15mins isn’t legitimate PT so my direct answer to your question is 1 player as of right now. I think it’s possible that AOC or Baker break out and independently hog those minutes so potentially 2 players.

IMO Tre is the only guy at the moment who will be in that 30 mpg realm, at least until the end of conference play heading into the tournament season.
I think that statement is all we can predict with certainty at the moment. Otherwise, I disagree a little. I think most will have opportunity until conference begins (rather than ends) and then we will be pretty set. K will always be K and therefore it won’t be Thanksgiving with everyone grabbing a slice of pie.

Current players pro/regress different than expected. Not every blue chip recruit is a baller in college. Miscellaneous things (injury, lineup chemistry, etc.) All of those factors make predictions impossible. My lineup is purely based on last yr’s performance (+Baker love) for those returning and scouting/hype for incoming.
Tre - guarantee
Stanley - IMO
Jack - IMO
Hurt - probable
Carey - probable

Tre is playing 38-40 barring blowout. I would sub Moore/Baker in at 2 if Jack was 3 or use AOC at 2 if Moore/Baker/Hurt were playing that 3 spot. The constant perimeter experience of Jones+Jack/AOC will keep communication and movement flowing. When using Jav, which I’d do frequently he would always play 5. That slides Carey or Hurt to 4. Noting Hurt’s mobility, I’m also good with him playing the 3 with Carey/Jav at 4/5. If foul trouble erupted in the front court including Jav, I’d feel good going 5-out on offense and letting Jack do his best guarding 5 spot. Everything is just really situational.

I won’t say that Tre should take final shot. I will say that I would put the set-up and decisioning in his hands. For example, if I had to run a final play right now...

Tre at the top of the key
Carey sets pick on Tre’s right
Tre drives off the screen right
Carey rolls left to basket
Hurt sets an up-screen for Carey’s roll
Then Hurt flares to high-wing perimeter
Meanwhile Jack and Moore are in each corner
— Now Tre is making the decision. Is Carey open under basket? Is he(Tre) open for middie? Is Hurt open on perimeter? Lastly, if the D-collapses in and someone is still covering Hurt then Jack and/or Moore are open in the corners.

Going off of my lineup, I’m blindly predicting a heavy 6th man role for Javin around 25mpg. I think AOC/Baker/JG collectively share 12-15mpg. You used the word “legitimately” and 3 guys sharing 15mins isn’t legitimate PT so my direct answer to your question is 1 player as of right now. I think it’s possible that AOC or Baker break out and independently hog those minutes so potentially 2 players.

I think that statement is all we can predict with certainty at the moment. Otherwise, I disagree a little. I think most will have opportunity until conference begins (rather than ends) and then we will be pretty set. K will always be K and therefore it won’t be Thanksgiving with everyone grabbing a slice of pie.

Interesting thoughts.

In regards to the number of guys used, you don’t think Wendell will see the floor much? If so, I think (and hope ) you’ll be pleasantly surprised. He’s going to be an indispensable player by season’s end and may be one of those guys that approaches that 30 mpg window.

I think I’m a little confused by your last comment. You think the lineup will be pretty set prior to conference play? Or after? You mentioned K’s M.O., but it’s been my observation that he’s willing to adjust lineups and play more players before the conference season and mid-conference season (between UNC 1 and 2, and then he begins to “trim the fat.” At least in the last decade or so. Other surprise entrants to the lineup have been generated by loss (injuries, etc) typically. That’s why my statement included the caveat of pre-conference season ending.

Interesting thoughts.

In regards to the number of guys used, you don’t think Wendell will see the floor much? If so, I think (and hope ) you’ll be pleasantly surprised. He’s going to be an indispensable player by season’s end and may be one of those guys that approaches that 30 mpg window.

I think I’m a little confused by your last comment. You think the lineup will be pretty set prior to conference play? Or after? You mentioned K’s M.O., but it’s been my observation that he’s willing to adjust lineups and play more players before the conference season and mid-conference season (between UNC 1 and 2, and then he begins to “trim the fat.” At least in the last decade or so. Other surprise entrants to the lineup have been generated by loss (injuries, etc) typically. That’s why my statement included the caveat of pre-conference season ending.

Dude... I worked all day and been up all night. I lost my mind halfway through my reply lmao. My lineup + substitutions are what I meant, but the rest of it is error filled.

Allow me to correct myself—
My reply to the final play (play call) replace Moore with Stanley. I meant to make that with my starting line-up. In regards to minutes, I also intended to pencil in Moore with roughly 15-20mpg by himself and separate AOC/Baker/JG collective 12-15mpg. I guess I forgot Moore’s existence for 5 minutes. Stating that, I directly answered your question about bench usage wrongly. The correct answer I meant was legitimately “2” and potentially “3” - Sorry for confusion.

- - - Now in response to your post

After explaining that brain fart you can see that I do agree Wendell Moore will get a good share of minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he started over Stanley, it’s just really tough to make predictions right now. He’s likely more talented than Jack, but I do think K will have Jack on the floor a lot playing a big leadership role. He’s an excellent vocal leader.

By start conference play the lineups and rotations are mostly figured. The “experimental” stage is over. There’s some tinkering and situational adjustments made throughout the first half of conference play if need be. By time we play the first UNC game things are pretty well set in stone and not much changes barring injury. I stated that I disagreed a bit because I thought you were implying that everyone shared lots of PT until tournament time then suddenly the fat was trimmed. I think we are in agreeance on this but misunderstood each other.

Dude... I worked all day and been up all night. I lost my mind halfway through my reply lmao. My lineup + substitutions are what I meant, but the rest of it is error filled.

My reply to the final play (play call) replace Moore with Stanley. I meant to make that with my starting line-up. In regards to minutes, I also intended to pencil in Moore with roughly 15-20mpg by himself and separate AOC/Baker/JG collective 12-15mpg. I guess I forgot Moore’s existence for 5 minutes. Stating that, I directly answered your question about bench usage wrongly. The correct answer I meant was legitimately “2” and potentially “3” - Sorry for confusion.

After explaining that brain fart you can see that I do agree Wendell Moore will get a good share of minutes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he started over Stanley, it’s just really tough to make predictions right now. He’s likely more talented than Jack, but I do think K will have Jack on the floor a lot playing a big leadership role. He’s an excellent vocal leader.

By start conference play the lineups and rotations are mostly figured. The “experimental” stage is over. There’s some tinkering and situational adjustments made throughout the first half of conference play if need be. By time we play the first UNC game things are pretty well set in stone and not much changes barring injury. I stated that I disagreed a bit because I thought you were implying that everyone shared lots of PT until tournament time then suddenly the fat was trimmed. I think we are in agreeance on this but misunderstood each other.

Go easy on the “lmao”, ipsychosis will lose his mind. That’s his phrase.

Minutes Range:
1. Tre Jones, 35+
2. Matthew Hurt, 27-34
3. Wendell Moore, 26-33
4. Vernon Carey, 23-30
5. Cassius Stanley, 15-30
6. Javin DeLaurier, 15-25
7. Jack White, 12-24
8. Alex O'Connell, 10-22
9. Joey Baker, spot-minutes-15
10. Jordan Goldwire, spot-minutes-12

Not to challenge you in particular, but your post was so clear I think it will help me make my point.

I think a lot of people are discounting Joey Baker. Before he reclassified he was the #15 recruit for the class of 2019. Ahead of Wendell Moore. Solidly ahead of Cassius Stanley. And he's now had a year in the Duke system, practicing against Duke players while Moore and Stanley have been dunking on outmatched high school kids.

Now, none of that means he'll end up getting more minutes than those Moore and Stanley but... don't be shocked if he's in the mix for a starting spot rather than getting just spot minutes.

Hahaha no more posting before 6 a.m. much better post hahah.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
@DukeJim99 - I don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying in regards to Baker. Progression wise having some experience under his belt will only help his cause. At the same time, we’ve seen a lot of highly ranked players bust in terms of expectations / hype. I don’t think that’s the case with Joey, but I can’t be so certain that it’s not either. We can only hope for the best but realistically it’s a toss up at this point. I think @dukedevilz allocating him a potential 15 minutes is fair.

It's hard picking line ups because no one knows how good the freshman will be or who will improve. Jack and Javin bring experience so that guarantees them minutes. I'm guessing coach will want one of those two on the floor as much as possible while he sorts out the rest. I'm going to guess Jack begins the year starting, and may be replaced at the 3 by Baker or Stanley at some point. Javin filling in for both freshman bigs down low. I still like Moore at the 2.

Reactions: hart2chesson
@DukeJim99 - I don’t necessarily disagree with what you’re saying in regards to Baker. Progression wise having some experience under his belt will only help his cause. At the same time, we’ve seen a lot of highly ranked players bust in terms of expectations / hype. I don’t think that’s the case with Joey, but I can’t be so certain that it’s not either. We can only hope for the best but realistically it’s a toss up at this point. I think @dukedevilz allocating him a potential 15 minutes is fair.

Agreed on highly-ranked players having the potential on being busts. That's always a possibility.

But is there a reason that's more of a possibility with Baker than with Moore and/or Stanley? Why aren't we giving them potentially spot minutes next year in light of the fact they may be busts? When we're *guessing* about next year's minutes, why the huge disparity between what we're guessing for Moore/Stanley and what we're guessing for Baker?

I've not seen any of these kids play meaningful minutes against good competition, so I don't have any particular insights. But the people who are paid to watch and evaluate high school kids think Baker is every bit as good as Moore and Stanley. So I'm going to trust them until I have a chance to reach my own conclusions. I think a lot of us are forgetting how well regarded Baker was/is simply because Baker rode the bench last year.

I’d like to see us go “old” for a stretch with Goldy, AOC, Baker, White and Jav. I bet the defense is pretty good with that group and they could just toss up 3 balls.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT