ADVERTISEMENT

Starting 5

I’d like to see us go “old” for a stretch with Goldy, AOC, Baker, White and Jav. I bet the defense is pretty good with that group and they could just toss up 3 balls.
This lineup would be awfully easy to defend. Unless something has changed no one can put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket.
Only 3 of them can shoot 3’s.

Reactions: DukeDenver
I’d like to see us go “old” for a stretch with Goldy, AOC, Baker, White and Jav. I bet the defense is pretty good with that group and they could just toss up 3 balls.

if we're up bout 25. this lineup isn't a top 50 starting lineup in the country. idk who would even score

If Hurt and Baker are hitting 3’s that lineup will keep Carey or Moore from being doubled
in Pick and Roll with Jones.

Reactions: christophero
Only locks to start Jones and Carey. Other 3 slots are up for grabs imo.

I agree with this.

I think Stanley will get a good shot as well because of his explosive athleticism on offense and defense.

Stanley and Moore will arguably be the best defenders other than Tre - and K loves him some defense. Moore is viewed as a really solid defender.

Here's a quote on Moore from ESPN:

"He's a high level defender ... as he moves well laterally and also uses his length and stays wide with his arms while sliding his feet. He's also verbal on that end and potentially capable of defending 1-4."

I actually think we may see early on and mid-season several players getting some burn - more than in the past - largely b/c the freshmen are not quite as highly rated (only one top 10) as in some years past, and because the upper classmen are mostly Jrs and Srs and also got PT last year - Jack, Javin, Alex (slumped a bit but I expect he'll improve), and Goldwire (who could get some PG burn at times). And then there's Baker.

I still think K will go to 7, maybe 8, come tourney time but if those upper classmen are playing well at times they'll get some PT which would be good.

I also like that it's possible some of these freshmen may stay to year two for once which would be great.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Jones
Stanley
Moore
DeLaurier
Carey

Goldwire
AOC
White
Hurt

Losing Bolden was a big blow. We will have almost no depth in the post. I like the starting 5 though, it has good leadership mixed with good skill and athleticism.

That 9 could be really great. I’m not worried about depth in the post at all. IMO the ideal Duke lineup should be three rangy guards, a long wing and one versatile big. Get me 5 confident guys that can all shoot.

I think Javin, at 6'10, will get some post D, and be a good sub at the position (there's not a lot of 7 footers in college that we have to worry about); and K has often played without a pure post player.

So, I'm not really that worried about losing Bolden. In fact, I'm actually glad he's going to the NBA. I think we'd see up and down passivity and inconsistency. But, the sooner he gets in the NBA the better for him b/c they won't let him play passive. They will challenge him and he's not a big recruit.

I think Javin, at 6'10, will get some post D, and be a good sub at the position (there's not a lot of 7 footers in college that we have to worry about); and K has often played without a pure post player.

So, I'm not really that worried about losing Bolden. In fact, I'm actually glad he's going to the NBA. I think we'd see up and down passivity and inconsistency. But, the sooner he gets in the NBA the better for him b/c they won't let him play passive. They will challenge him and he's not a big recruit.
Where I think we’re thin is at ball control guard. If Tre gets hurt, we will struggle. I feel like there is a 4 star like Quinn Cook out there every year. We should be bagging one every other year IMO.

Reactions: AlanInNJ
If we're talking about weight Moore has 30 pounds on Stanley. That alone gives him the edge going in and is why I think Moore will be one and done and Stanley might stay a few years. Assuming similar skill sets. Also makes Moore more likely to contribute early. Having both is nice.

If we're talking about weight Moore has 30 pounds on Stanley. That alone gives him the edge going in and is why I think Moore will be one and done and Stanley might stay a few years. Assuming similar skill sets. Also makes Moore more likely to contribute early. Having both is nice.
If Stanley continues to improve his shot and plays hard on D, his athleticism is NBA ready.

If Stanley continues to improve his shot and plays hard on D, his athleticism is NBA ready.

It’ll be interesting to see who goes pro from this group. Because of size and skill set, it seems Carey and Hurt are locked into that mold. After that, it’s a crap shoot and will really depend on how well guys do this season. You’re both not wrong. Either guy could go, neither could go, or both could go because of what you mentioned.

The beauty of both players is that they are not exclusive. They compliment each other very well and will be a big part of what makes this team so versatile.

It’ll be interesting to see who goes pro from this group. Because of size and skill set, it seems Carey and Hurt are locked into that mold. After that, it’s a crap shoot and will really depend on how well guys do this season. You’re both not wrong. Either guy could go, neither could go, or both could go because of what you mentioned.

The beauty of both players is that they are not exclusive. They compliment each other very well and will be a big part of what makes this team so versatile.
I'd lean towards a better chance of Moore being a OAD than Hurt. Carey is 100% gone after one year. I'd say Moore is like 90% and Hurt around 75%.

I love Moore's game, fans are gonna really like him. He has soooo much Winslow in his game it's crazy. And just like Winslow, Moore continues to rise up the rankings and will soon skyrocket up draft boards.

I wouldn't be stunned to see Hurt at Duke a 2nd year, just to get stronger and work on the physicality of big-time basketball.

Reactions: SoCal_Dukie3
I'd lean towards a better chance of Moore being a OAD than Hurt. Carey is 100% gone after one year. I'd say Moore is like 90% and Hurt around 75%.

I love Moore's game, fans are gonna really like him. He has soooo much Winslow in his game it's crazy. And just like Winslow, Moore continues to rise up the rankings and will soon skyrocket up draft boards.

I wouldn't be stunned to see Hurt at Duke a 2nd year, just to get stronger and work on the physicality of big-time basketball.

Personally, I just don't see how we keep Wendell out of starting line--up. I know Tre and Vernon are automatic....OFC

My only concern would be against teams like Kansas (our first game of the year). They have both Azubuike and De Sousa, two big, strong, physical post players and they have McCormack off the bench. I am not sold on the idea of Hurt being able to battle players like that. White can battle physically but is a little undersized. Javin has a tendency to get into foul trouble.

Against most teams I don't think it will be a problem but there could be a few out there that can exploit our lack of post depth.

Kansas will be interesting. Maybe a loss will take the pressure off. I think it will be close.

I wouldn’t either (regarding Hurt), especially considering K hasn’t recruited another PF for this class or next. Maybe he’s banking on Joey, but I doubt it.

I don’t think Wendell is a lock for OAD and it isn’t because I don’t think he’s going to be awesome. I’ve stated that multiple times on here before.

You’re not off on the Winslow comp, but height and less vertical athleticism may not draw those exact comparisons on draft night. I want him to be OAD capable, because that means a great season for Duke. But I’m just not totally sold on that status yet.

This class in general is pretty down. For instance, Cole Anthony’s ceiling may be Austin Rivers IMO. Not that it’s a bad thing, but the expectations of a legendary season may be overstated.

Reactions: jwill133
I hope I'm not the only one who can't necessarily recall everything about every incoming and returning Duke player. I took a couple of minutes and put together this list, which I think is every player on our roster next year, including position and ranking (from Rivals).

I find rankings interesting, but they don't ultimately mean a lot. For example... Luke Kennard was ranked lower than both Derryck Thornton and Chase Jeter in the 2015 class.

• Trey Jones (PG, #14)
• Vernon Carey (C, #5)
• Matthew Hurt (PF, #9)
• Joey Baker (PF, 48 in 2018, formerly #15 in 2019)
• Wendell Moore (SF, #23)
• Cassius Stanley (SG, #39)
• Alex O (SG, #58)
• Javin D (PF, #39)
• Jack White (F)
• Jordan Goldwire (G)
• Justin Robinson (F)
• Mike Buckmire (G)

Reactions: dukehokie
This is off topic. I'm watching the 92 Duke Michigan championship game. Thomas Hill and Grant Hill are the difference makers in this game. No way we win without them.

If Jack White can get his shot back he will see a lot of playing time. I realize this is a very big if. He probably is in the rotation.

With Marques off the roster, there's almost no way that Jack isn't playing a pretty vital role. And I know, they're not the same position, but I think his leaving makes an obvious shift in the rotation. A lot of Javin's minutes now become as a pure post player, like the end of last season. It makes Jack now primarily a 4/3, or 3/4....however you wish to label.

That makes perfect sense. Those guys have the 4 and the 5 spots backed up, and can fill in nicely if there is foul trouble or an injury. Or if we just need experience.

Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT