ADVERTISEMENT

Sports phrases or cliche’s you hate

DukefanKY

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jan 4, 2011
Central Ky
i got the idea for this while reading another board that I apparently have lost the priveledge to post on!!

Anyway, what are some sports phrases or cliche’s that you hate or think is overused?
This one is constant over there, and actually, the very first time it was used, I think was pretty clever, but I hate:

***Insert name*** isn’t walking through that door!

Reactions: dukehokie
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard some variation of "I just took what the defense gave me" I would have a house on Figure-8 Island.

And "next man up" may have outlived its usefulness.

But my biggest pet peeve is hearing that someone always gives 110 percent. Which is literally impossible. It's like filling a glass at 110 percent of its capacity.

Another for me is when someone thinks they have made a really clever statement and says “I’ll just leave this right here”......really? Ohhhhhh I hope I can sleep.....you really tore me up with that one!!

If God is not tar heel why is the sky carolina blue? I had an issue even writing this. I'm sure God is not a tar heel. He has a lot of more important things to take care of. OFC

Reactions: Showenuff
Letting the game come to you. The special players go out and make the game theirs.

I always liked Bobby Knight's position on the "game face".

Reactions: skysdad
Live by the three, die by the three.

you live by whatever is your best thing. In 2015 at Notre Dame, when Duke couldn’t make a layup or shots in the paint to save their life, I didn’t here “live by the layup, die by the layup”

Reactions: Quavarius
As a baseball player I hit leadoff. No matter what level I played, at the beginning of the game somebody was bound to tell me "you go, we go." I'm like...damn if I don't get a hit these sorry mf'ers are gonna K. Get your own hit aholes lol. I always thought it put extra pressure in a situation that is tense enough. Hated it.

"He can really score the basketball". That makes no sense. I mean, no one ever said "I'm gonna go to the playground and score some basketballs". Unless, of course, you were going to steal some.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I absolutely hate any line in football less than the 1 yard line:

1 foot line
1 inch line

No such lines exist! Why are we inventing imaginary lines?

#nonsense

Reactions: skysdad
This baseball game is flying by.

he touched it, it’s an error or they didn’t touch it, no error.

when i scored baseball, this got you thrown out of my pressbox...

My sons had a football coach and after a close loss his postgame statement was “we got some teachin to be learnin!” Literally no words...I was like WTF!?!?!? Almost every game he plays now I’ll say this at the end.

Freshman/rookie mistake....good grief these kids have played at least a decade of basketball/football and been coached since they were in elementary school....simple errors are not freshman mistakes, they are from lack of concentration...get off my lawn!

Freshman/rookie mistake....good grief these kids have played at least a decade of basketball/football and been coached since they were in elementary school....simple errors are not freshman mistakes, they are from lack of concentration...get off my lawn!
Finally!!!!!

I don't like when players say its a War or it's going to be a War out there,i know they are only saying it in context to a game,but I find it disrespectfull to the men and women of the armed forces who have fought and died in real Wars...just my opinion

I’ve heard this a lot with high school sports pre-game. “They May have more talent but we have more heart”

Reactions: QC Dukie
One that kills me

team down 90 points at half time ( or whatever large amount.)

team comes back but still loses anyways by small amount.

“ boy you have to really give them a lot of credit!”

1. no I don’t have to do anything.

2. Give them credit for what, they still lost!

another is “ they have to punt” they don’t have to do anything, they can run the ball on 4th down if they want to.

I don't like when players say its a War or it's going to be a War out there,i know they are only saying it in context to a game,but I find it disrespectfull to the men and women of the armed forces who have fought and died in real Wars...just my opinion

I used to fall into this category too, but as I've aged I've mellowed a bit on it. I mean, like you said, we know the context they're speaking in at the moment. I don't think anyone who has ever said it truly means it's a war. Maybe it's just because the world, especially our nation, has made it a point to be offended by everything.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT