ADVERTISEMENT

Sports phrases or cliche’s you hate

I used to fall into this category too, but as I've aged I've mellowed a bit on it. I mean, like you said, we know the context they're speaking in at the moment. I don't think anyone who has ever said it truly means it's a war. Maybe it's just because the world, especially our nation, has made it a point to be offended by everything.
I get what your saying,and I agree that it's not being used in a literal sense,but being from a military family I don't like use of the word War being used to describe a sporting event...Just my opinion

Any game analyst it seems these days on a basketball player who can't hit his shots....

"He just needs to see one go thru the basket!"

OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: skysdad
The Olympic games and an athlete who is favored to win an event and does poorley says "it just wasn't my day"..Well you've been training for 4 years and it wasn't your day??

Reactions: skysdad
This is just a personal quote dislike. I score keep slow pitch softball and we have some average players who couldn't cut it baseball or any other sport that think they are Mr. Softball. There's this one guy who pitches that thinks every ball he throws goes right where he intended it go. When he throws what he thinks is a strike and the umpire calls it a ball he will call out. " Where's my pitch at ? " He does this constantly and the blue is right about it about 95 per cent of the time. The ump will sometimes show him where the ball lands but one game this pitcher just kept on asking " where's my pitch at? " Finally this ump just calls time, walks toward the pitcher and says something like this. " It was a ball. It was out of the strike zone. If it's in the strike zone I will call it a strike or the batter will swing at the ball. Then you will know whether it is a strike or a ball. " He stopped questioning that umpire that game. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
"It's a make or miss league."

umm...yeah that's the entire point of basketball, either the ball goes in or it doesn't and that's what determines who wins.

"Team A has x% chance of winning" (while the game is being played)
Well, yeah, that's just a function of the scoring margin and the time left in the game. I don't need someone to say Duke has a 62% or 64% chance of winning at halftime when we are up 40 - 32 at halftime on the road. Or that Duke has a 99% chance of winning with a 20 point lead and 2 minutes remaining in the game. Or that Duke has a 50% chance of winning when it's tied at halftime.

The reason these exist is because sports are actually pretty simple when it comes down to it and yet there is a massive industry built solely around just talking about sports. The game itself doesn't change much over the decades, sure there are rule changes and style/strategy changes but the overall goal of the games stays the same. There's only so many ways to describe what is happening in a game and what a player is doing. And there is such a glut of sports discussion and so many message boards, online articles, sports shows, and podcasts to fill that we have taken analytics to an unnecessary, over the top level because otherwise if we just stuck to the fact that sports are pretty simple there wouldn't be much to talk about. Analytics are great and all but ultimately it still comes down to who scores more points during a 40 minute game on one day. If the champion was crowned based on their average efficiency margin over the course of an entire season, similar to how professional soccer leagues around the world crown a champion by overall points accumulated throught the entire season, then it would make sense to place analytics on a much higher pedestal. But as it is, it's just another way to fill air time (and yes, can be used by coaches and players to prep for games.) And I do realize that the boom in analytics (from the fan side) is due in part to the insatiable appetite people have for gambling and a desire to have some sort of secret formula to predict outcomes of games. It's a fools errand, you're going to win some and you're going to lose some. You can't predict it, that's why we love it.

Last edited:
Used for 99% of Caucasian athletes:

"he's a real lunch pail type of player"
"deceptively fast/athletic"
"coach on the field"
"a real heady player"

"coach on the field"
"a real heady player"

Dead on the head. Also, he’s “competitive” when he shows emotion. But isn’t he a competitor? Aren’t all athletes competitive?

"coach on the field"
"a real heady player"

OK, OK, I'm guilty. I'm watching Pitt v. UNX, Pitt has a white guard with a bald spot, I say to myself, "he better be a good 3 point shooter". I'm clearly a basketball racist, especially since i greatly resemble that player.

OK, OK, I'm guilty. I'm watching Pitt v. UNX, Pitt has a white guard with a bald spot, I say to myself, "he better be a good 3 point shooter". I'm clearly a basketball racist, especially since i greatly resemble that player.
Unfortunately that’s normal. No different than when we were getting ready to play Michigan St earlier and a poster on this site said Carey should have his way with that big white kid that wears the face mask.
It’s a black guy dominated sport, and we aren’t used to white guys being as athletic. We called Scheyer a savvy player, we didn’t go wild over his athleticism.
It’s why Mac McClung gets the attention he does.

Unfortunately that’s normal. No different than when we were getting ready to play Michigan St earlier and a poster on this site said Carey should have his way with that big white kid that wears the face mask.
It’s a black guy dominated sport, and we aren’t used to white guys being as athletic. We called Scheyer a savvy player, we didn’t go wild over his athleticism.
It’s why Mac McClung gets the attention he does.

Or black athletes are considered *articulate* because they’re not speaking slang in interviews.

“Yo yo yo we rollin’ up in dis press conference thang bout to kick it like dis. Now who gonna ask me dese boring ass questions?”

I’ll piggy back on this one. A team is down by 6-8 with a minute to go. They hit a 3 and the announcers are like “that was a huge 3 they needed that to stay in the game!” No shit Sherlock!!!!

Right, lol

Reactions: Dad2ze
"I promise you we are going to be alright"

also

"This loss will make us a better team."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT