ADVERTISEMENT

Skunks and dogs

FearTheBeard

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 28, 2010
My dogs were sprayed by a skunk the night before last. I was starting the fire pit for my wife and I to sit by and enjoy a drink when my two German Shepherds came running towards me. The male (Duke) was foaming at the mouth. Apparently he took a direct hit bc I grabbed his head trying to figure out what happened and got skunk juice on me. The dogs and I ended up sleeping in a tent in the yard that night. My wife wasn’t outside yet so she was spared. Neither dog was bit, so no rabies concerns (they’re up to date on shots anyways).

Yesterday I tried the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap bath, but it didn’t help much. Today I’m gonna try the tomato juice method. Anyone know of any other tricks? Google pretty much has the two methods I’m trying and a few others but if someone has experience with something that worked for them I’d appreciate the advice.

My spoiled rotten dogs who are used to sleeping on their plush dog beds would greatly appreciate any help that results in them being allowed back in the house.

My next concern is figuring out how to get rid of the skunk without getting sprayed again. I ordered a trap and bait. Cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.

Believe it or not, when our digs were sprayed we used Johnson's baby shampoo. It may take more than one bath, but it was effective in getting it off the dog.

Reactions: FearTheBeard
Believe it or not, when our digs were sprayed we used Johnson's baby shampoo. It may take more than one bath, but it was effective in getting it off the dog.
Thanks! I’ll pick some up when I get the tomatoe juice.

Tomato juice is where it's at. Been down that road a few times. Tomato juice works like a charm every time.

Go buy several cans (about 5) of that fart spray. Use two cans each on the dogs and one on yourself. Should neutralize the skunk smell. OFC

Bourbon works well. Not on the dogs you drink it and it helps you sleep in the tent.
That’s exactly what I did (scotch/whiskey blend). No joke. The dogs knocked over my glass as I was watching The Ranch on my phone. I was gonna clean it up but it smelled better than anything else in the tent so I just left it and poured another glass.

Reactions: Showenuff
Just finished their second bath after a tomato juice soak. They smell less skunky but they’ll be spending another night outside still. Trying more tomorrow. If they still stink I’m shaving them except for their tails and head. Not to solve the problem but to shame them.

Reactions: dbav
Just finished their second bath after a tomato juice soak. They smell less skunky but they’ll be spending another night outside still. Trying more tomorrow. If they still stink I’m shaving them except for their tails and head. Not to solve the problem but to shame them.

I've been sprayed once.....tried everything Google had to offer, but the only only full cure was time....it's awful

Damn FTB I hate you’re having to deal with that crap.

My dogs were sprayed by a skunk the night before last. I was starting the fire pit for my wife and I to sit by and enjoy a drink when my two German Shepherds came running towards me. The male (Duke) was foaming at the mouth. Apparently he took a direct hit bc I grabbed his head trying to figure out what happened and got skunk juice on me. The dogs and I ended up sleeping in a tent in the yard that night. My wife wasn’t outside yet so she was spared. Neither dog was bit, so no rabies concerns (they’re up to date on shots anyways).

Yesterday I tried the hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and dish soap bath, but it didn’t help much. Today I’m gonna try the tomato juice method. Anyone know of any other tricks? Google pretty much has the two methods I’m trying and a few others but if someone has experience with something that worked for them I’d appreciate the advice.

My spoiled rotten dogs who are used to sleeping on their plush dog beds would greatly appreciate any help that results in them being allowed back in the house.

My next concern is figuring out how to get rid of the skunk without getting sprayed again. I ordered a trap and bait. Cross that bridge when I get to it I guess.
go with the tomato juice, i have heard that one works. Skunk spray is hard to get rid of. Used to have a lot of them at the mountains place. Since coyotes moved in , twenty years or so ago, we don't see skunks anymore. Would 10 times rather have the skunks. Be sure the trap is small enough that the skunk can't raise his tail..

Reactions: FearTheBeard
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT