ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Stewart

I also think that is a good point that we are not really relying on the freshman. They are providing depth, and can help us. But a team with Flip, Young, Mitchell, Roach, Proctor, Reeves, Schutt and Blakes is probably a sweet 16 team. The freshman can put us over the top, but we don't NEED them to be studs the way we needed Zion, RJ, Bagley, Carey, Banchero, Lively, Keels, etc. Looking glass half empty, Power may struggle with speed, Stewart with being raw/fouls, Foster has not shown much of an outside game yet. But I imagine they will all get there, maybe McCain is the most ready right now. The other 3 can ease in with not much pressure. If Foster and McCain are as good as Roach and Proctor by years end look out. And if Stewart is a stud then Ryan doesn't need to play big minutes. My hot take prediction is we end the year starting Flip, Mitchell, Foster, McCain and Proctor, and Roach is our super 6th man.

Last edited:
Roach isn’t coming off the bench . He didn’t stay at Duke to do that . It will be either Foster or McCain I can agree with you on that as the fifth starter.
Blakes and Schutt I can’t really say are reliable . Blakes maybe on defense but like stated he did fall off after the injury and Schutt only received mop up minutes . It’s going to be a a good season to watch .

I also think that is a good point that we are not really relying on the freshman. They are providing depth, and can help us. But a team with Flip, Young, Mitchell, Roach, Proctor, Reeves, Schutt and Blakes is probably a sweet 16 team. The freshman can put us over the top, but we don't NEED them to be studs the way we needed Zion, RJ, Bagley, Carey, Banchero, Lively, Keels, etc. Looking glass half empty, Power may struggle with speed, Stewart with being raw/fouls, Foster has not shown much of an outside game yet. But I imagine they will all get there, maybe McCain is the most ready right now. The other 3 can ease in with not much pressure. If Foster and McCain are as good as Roach and Proctor by years end look out. And if Stewart is a stud then Ryan doesn't need to play big minutes. My hot take prediction is we end the year starting Flip, Mitchell, Foster, McCain and Proctor, and Roach is our super 6th man.

That's an interesting concept but I think Foster fits that role and Roach is going to get as many minutes as he can handle.

Reactions: christophero
... Foster has not shown much of an outside game yet...
Is this true? I Googled "caleb foster scouting report" and found sites indicating that he's a good 3pt shooter:

"The ability to shoot from range is important at all levels of basketball, and Foster is consistent from the three-point stripe and beyond. At the NBAPA camp in August of this year, he continually would make three-point shots from the NBA three-point line."

"UNDENIABLE SKILL: Shooting
STRENGTHS: Foster shoots the cover off the ball. Great Balance. Wide base gives him consistency on his jumpshot."

"He’s a very good mid-range and three-point shooter and he does an excellent job of making shots around the rim despite not being a supreme athlete."

Etc.

Reactions: hart2chesson
In high school maybe. I am just going by what I have seen. If he is a deadeye shooter this year all the better. I did say the kid would start for us later in the year. With his size and driving ability, if he is a good 3 point shooter he is probably OAD.

Last edited:
Reactions: hart2chesson
Roach is a starter. Now the question is, will his scoring, assist and steal averages change with this roster?
Jam it's exceedingly early I know, but from what I saw @CTC, I really don't foresee much drop-off. Like I said it's way, way early but McCain and Foster look a CLEAR tier beneath Jeremy and Tyrese. Of course that's to be expected at this point.

Speaking of guards, I know Schutt only had the one three pointer Friday, but he has such a silky smooth shot. I would love to see him in a three, perhaps even four guard set on occasion, with our other guards driving and kicking it to him.

OFC

Reactions: jamsession2
Jam it's exceedingly early I know, but from what I saw @CTC, I really don't foresee much drop-off. Like I said it's way, way early but McCain and Foster look a CLEAR tier beneath Jeremy and Tyrese. Of course that's to be expected at this point.

Speaking of guards, I know Schutt only had the one three pointer Friday, but he has such a silky smooth shot. I would love to see him in a three, perhaps even four guard set on occasion, with our other guards driving and kicking it to him.

OFC
Problem is he’s just not a good defender so it’ll be hard for him to get much PT.

This is going to be a year where Scheyer and staff are going to really have to role the dice . You will need Reeves and Stewart in the front court for depth and rebounding . Play them early in the season and let them grow . Another year of Reeves or Schutt on the bench I don’t know how that will sit with them . Going to be very interesting watching lineups in games .

Reactions: jamsession2
Another year of Reeves or Schutt on the bench I don’t know how that will sit with them .
Actually I agree with you. Both need legit chances. Despite the raves about McCain and Foster(and I think both will be really good for us), Schutt is a PURE SHOOTER. He's not Joey Baker 2.0 sitting on the pine. Also, get him the ball, others seem reticent to pass him the rock.(It all goes back to what @Mac9192 has said, Jon must get the chemistry right!!).

Reeves must get some burn. Young is fine in stretches, but Reeves is the legit potential rim protector. We don't want Flip fouling out. Reeves can score too.

OFC

No one is implying they leave but I’ve always been in the camp that you can only do or learn so much in practice .
For Schutt it’s clear it might be his defense but Reeves , he looks good in scrimmages and CTC . Now in these exhibition and lower level games he needs some burn . The freshman will play like freshman and have that early season learning curve .

I think guys like Schutt and Power can both hit the three. I know defense is obviously a huge component, but if we're struggling offensively on perimeter, their usage is needed. So far amongst our top seven or so, Jeremy is only one proven to be a capable three baller. OFC

Finally watched CTC. We didn’t shoot the ball well, but I’m not yet ready to call this team a “bad” shooting team after one scrimmage.
Proctor shot 32% from 3 last year. But if you take out his horrid start to the season, I bet that number is 38-40%.
Mitchell shot 35% from 3 but seemed to always make a big one when we needed it.
Flip’s stroke looks great and I’m not at all worried about his percentages. He will make plenty of 3’s this year.
McCain projects as a solid 3 point shooter, he will be fine.

As others have said. Schutt didn’t see the floor much last year due to his defense. We are much deeper this year so it’s hard for me to envision a scenario where he plays much. If we get zoned (RIP the Syracuse zone) than I could see Schutt coming in and contributing.

Injuries happen. I wouldn’t write off Schutt, Blakes, and Power yet. But I’d be highly surprised if they are in our March rotation.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT