ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Stewart

What, no McCain?
Can McCain rotate over on defense to block shots, rebound and defend multiple positions as well as play above the rim?

McCain will get plenty of minutes and start plenty of games I am sure, depending on the matchup, but this is the lineup i am “currently” interested in seeing the most. I think its good to have a role player on the floor that can do a lot of different things for you, especially on the defensive end.

Don’t be surprised to see McCain start in three guard line ups . I would say at this point McCain would start over Stewart .
That’s my thought to start the season, but it could change if we need more post defense and rebounding then could see Stewart/Young start at PF or Center with Flip at the other spot & Mitchell being able to help at both SF or defending a very good SG.

Reactions: BlueBlackNWhite
McCain is getting alot of hype for a while now so I'd be shocked to not see him in the starting lineup. As someone mentioned, maybe Young for the very beginning of the season, but he isn't among our best 5 players.

I love the flexibility this team has.
Can go traditional with Young at the 5 and then hopefully Stewart is starting by conference play.
Can go small with McCain in the lineup and Flip at the 5. We have options, unlike last year where we were essentially locked into playing a big lineup.

People are sleeping on Foster too, I think he’s gonna make an impact on this team.

I love the flexibility this team has.
Can go traditional with Young at the 5 and then hopefully Stewart is starting by conference play.
Can go small with McCain in the lineup and Flip at the 5. We have options, unlike last year where we were essentially locked into playing a big lineup.

People are sleeping on Foster too, I think he’s gonna make an impact on this team.
I think Foster is going to be awesome and tough to keep off the floor.

Sounds like a lot of incoming talent blending with returning talent. If McCain and Foster are as good as advertised, and hard to keep off the floor, what does that do to Proctor, Roach, Blakes and Schutt?
Then you have Mitchell, Flip, Young, Stewart, Reeves and Powers.
Of the players, who’s making the most money?

Lot of talent, only 5 spots on the floor, and only 1 basketball.

Good luck Jon. No pressure.

Last edited:
Sounds like a lot of incoming talent blending with returning talent. If McCain and Foster are as good as advertised, and hard to keep off the floor, what does that do to Proctor, Roach, Blakes and Schutt?
Then you have Mitchell, Flip, Young, Stewart, Reeves and Powers.
Of the players, who’s making the most money?

Lot of talent, only 5 spots on the floor, and only 1 basketball.

Good luck Jon. No pressure.
Poor take here Mac. This team has complimentary parts where not all of them need the ball. Guys like Mitchell, Stewart, Young, reeves and even Powers don’t need the ball. Guys like Schutt and Blake’s don’t need the ball nor will they see the court much. Reality is that the main players like Flip, Proctor and Roach all play well together and we will see how well McCain and Foster fit in. Which I think will be seamlessly. This is a dream scenario for Jon. This team will run, it’s athletic and it’s elite. No pressure.

Poor take here Mac. This team has complimentary parts where not all of them need the ball. Guys like Mitchell, Stewart, Young, reeves and even Powers don’t need the ball. Guys like Schutt and Blake’s don’t need the ball nor will they see the court much. Reality is that the main players like Flip, Proctor and Roach all play well together and we will see how well McCain and Foster fit in. Which I think will be seamlessly. This is a dream scenario for Jon. This team will run, it’s athletic and it’s elite. No pressure.
Well we all think Blakes, Schutt, Young, and Powers won’t need, or get major minutes. Probably Reeves too. But that puts Flip as the main big, and playing the 5. Many here don’t like that. But, our 3 newcomers, 2 of them guards, throw a wrinkle into a conventional lineup.
Personally, I don’t have a problem with Flip as the “5.” Our best lineup may be that.
But we can’t put our heads in the sand in terms of minutes and who gets the majority. Unless quite a few guys really put the team first and don’t mind playing less. This is if Foster and McCain are as good as many are saying.

Last edited:
I think if we see Flip at the 5 we are going to see a 5 out type offense instead of a traditional post-up 5. Ryan Young is more of a traditional 5, and I like his game and his experience. Our other bigs will develop thru the season and will provide us more options at the 5.

It seems to me we have a LOT of weapons this year, and we should be match up nightmare for our whatever our opponents throw at us. It's all speculation at this point, but it sure seems like we are the most complete, 10 deep team Duke has seen in a long time.

Will Jon run 10 deep or will he follow the K model and tighten it up to 7?? Curious minds want to know.

Brendan Marks from The Athletic says he believes the 5th starter will either be Jared McCain or TJ Power and mentioned that those two at this point have put themselves ahead of Foster and Stewart, although things can change.. Also said he's fairly certain it won't be Ryan Young based on what he has seen and heard.

We may have written off Power a little too early.

With our returning 4 starters, plus Young, if all 4 freshmen are the real deal this team is going to be special. If this team gels we could run people out of the gym. Not sure I'd write Young off either though. Enjoyed the video the kid did a good job.

Last edited:
With our returning 4 starters, plus Young, if all 4 freshmen are the real deal this team is going to be special. If this team gels we could run people out of the gym. Not sure I'd write Young off either though. Enjoyed the video the kid did a good job.
Something tells me Young's CONFIDENCE METER is going to be off the charts this season! He may not see over 10-12 mpg this season, but I look for a solid contribution. OFC

I think McCain starts most games and we can bring in Young/Stewart/Reeves off the bench. Unless we are playing a big team like Purdue or UCLA, then we could need more size.

Last edited:
I hope not. That is a lineup that’ll get abused on the boards with 6’2, 6’2, 6’5 wirey guards leaving mark and flip having to clean up.
Yeah thats a good point and would for sure be a weakness with that lineup. However, no way Young is in that starting lineup as he's no where near one of our top 5, let alone top 7 players on the roster.

I dont disagree maybe Young for the first handful of games, but no way we make a final four run with him in the starting 5

It depends on the jumps Flip and Mitchell make. If those two make big jumps, particularly Mitchell, then small ball could work for us.

It depends on the jumps Flip and Mitchell make. If those two make big jumps, particularly Mitchell, then small ball could work for us.
True. We will find out soon enough, but it seems like Jon has options. My concern is keeping everyone happy. Unless the team has Ryan Young’s attitude.

Yeah thats a good point and would for sure be a weakness with that lineup. However, no way Young is in that starting lineup as he's no where near one of our top 5, let alone top 7 players on the roster.

I dont disagree maybe Young for the first handful of games, but no way we make a final four run with him in the starting 5
Agreed there my man

Let us not assume just because Duke starts with a certain lineup, that Duke will finish games with the same lineup.

Duke will have some tests in the non conference to tinker with lineups, relax and enjoy the journey of the season. Don’t overreact to every win and/or loss.

The 2015 team made a big change to the starting lineup midway through the season. Took out Amile and entered in Matt Jones, which moved Winslow up to the 4 position. This gave us more spacing and allowed Okafor more space to dominate the paint.

I foresee something similar this year. It worked so well in 2015 because Amile was an amazing teammate who cared more about the team than his stats. Let’s hope it works out this year too. My money would be on taking out Young and inserting McCain, very similar to 2015.

Let us not assume just because Duke starts with a certain lineup, that Duke will finish games with the same lineup.

Duke will have some tests in the non conference to tinker with lineups, relax and enjoy the journey of the season. Don’t overreact to every win and/or loss.
Good luck with that one lol. We are wired to overreact.

Reactions: Willcampbell
The 2015 team made a big change to the starting lineup midway through the season. Took out Amile and entered in Matt Jones, which moved Winslow up to the 4 position. This gave us more spacing and allowed Okafor more space to dominate the paint.

I foresee something similar this year. It worked so well in 2015 because Amile was an amazing teammate who cared more about the team than his stats. Let’s hope it works out this year too. My money would be on taking out Young and inserting McCain, very similar to 2015.

I think a lot depends on our interior defense and ability to rebound with a smaller lineup. Winslow was an amazing player for Duke, and we will have to see if Mitchell can be the same kind of player. I hope he will rise to the occasion.

The biggest (and best) thing that happened to the 15 team was losing Sulaimon.
Addition by subtraction.

Plus, it really helped that our highest rated freshmen, Okafor, was team oriented.

It will be a while before we know the true character of this team. Hope it ends like 15 did.

Good luck with that one lol. We are wired to overreact.

Oh believe me, I know it’s a lot to ask of from some on here. A lot of posters on here wanted the freshmen last season to be playing like seasoned upper classmen in November and December last season, were putting down the freshmen, and wanted to mail in the season after the losses to Purdue, NC State, and Miami, instead of paying attention to the growth and development of the team and coaching staff throughout the course of every game.

Reactions: Mac9192
Oh believe me, I know it’s a lot to ask of from some on here. A lot of posters on here wanted the freshmen last season to be playing like seasoned upper classmen in November and December last season, were putting down the freshmen, and wanted to mail in the season after the losses to Purdue, NC State, and Miami, instead of paying attention to the growth and development of the team and coaching staff throughout the course of every game.
To be honest, you can’t get on a lot of those posters because they were going off multiple posters saying the kids were ready prior to one college game being played . I won’t hold back , I thought Flip played soft and he did the beginning of the season and Mitchell settled way to much for jumpers and three point shots instead of playing to his strength of attacking the basket like a bull dog being let off his leash !
It’s why it’s college sports

Reactions: jeffrey236
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT