ADVERTISEMENT

Sean Stewart

Shey, I just like to compare the freshmen getting acclimated to the college game to any of us starting a new job or starting out in a new position after getting a promotion at work. When one starts the new job or position, I find it hard to believe they are going to be stellar and impeccable at it without first going through some hiccups/failures. So why should we expect the same thing from 18/19 year olds, just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlanInNJ and GAAP
Shey, I just like to compare the freshmen getting acclimated to the college game to any of us starting a new job or starting out in a new position after getting a promotion at work. When one starts the new job or position, I find it hard to believe they are going to be stellar and impeccable at it without first going through some hiccups/failures. So why should be expect the same thing from 18/19 year olds, just my 2 cents.
The one thing that has changed ! Money ! I don’t really think you can call them student athletes anymore . Also don’t forget college sport scouts and analytics also hype a lot of these players up .

The 2015 team made a big change to the starting lineup midway through the season. Took out Amile and entered in Matt Jones, which moved Winslow up to the 4 position. This gave us more spacing and allowed Okafor more space to dominate the paint.

I foresee something similar this year. It worked so well in 2015 because Amile was an amazing teammate who cared more about the team than his stats. Let’s hope it works out this year too. My money would be on taking out Young and inserting McCain, very similar to 2015.
I love Amile. Enough cannot be said about the way he shut down "Frank The Tank" in Okafor's place (foul trouble, on bench), in the '15 title game....

OFC

Wonder why Mitchell didn’t play? Hope nothing to worry about.
He sounded confident when we talked to him on Friday that he wouldn't miss more than a couple of days.

I've lost track of when the video was posted but I'm pretty sure the scrimmage was that day (so it's not like he told us he'd be fine, then they scrimmaged 3 days later and he was still out).

He sounded confident when we talked to him on Friday that he wouldn't miss more than a couple of days.

I've lost track of when the video was posted but I'm pretty sure the scrimmage was that day (so it's not like he told us he'd be fine, then they scrimmaged 3 days later and he was still out).
Yea I believe this was a week ago or so….

We always shoot lights out in that gym
I remember Baker raining 3s. We should play home games there.

And some read over the fact what else is said after that statement like , “ if we don’t fix the rebounding and shooting woes !” Or if we don’t create better ball movement or open up lanes .

Reactions: christophero
I have no complaints this year. 4 starters back, great freshman class. Deep team, experienced. I wanted another experienced big but you can't have everything. (there are some big teams out there) Our best chance to win it all since Banchero's year, maybe even Zion's year. We are the least experienced team in the top 25, but that is a little deceptive, as our 3 big returning sophs are studs and logged major minutes. Similar to 2001. Our depth could be unreal. Keeping Flip healthy is the key; looking at our roster he is the one guy we can't afford to lose.

Last edited:
We are the least experienced team in the top 25, but that is a little deceptive, as our 3 big returning sophs are studs and logged major minutes. Similar to 2001. Our depth could be unreal. Keeping Flip healthy is the key; looking at our roster he is the one guy we can't afford to lose.
UK is going to start 3 or 4 freshman this year, we are definitely not the least experienced team in the top 25.
On top of that, we may have as much cohesion as any team in the top 25. Sure, we have a lot of sophomores and only 1 senior, but we are the only team that didn’t lose a transfer/add a transfer. And all of our guys have played together minus the freshman.
Basketball is all about chemistry, and even if your team is old, adding a new guy (or for many teams: guys) it can take a little while to get adjusted. The transfer portal was bananas this year.

UK is going to start 3 or 4 freshman this year, we are definitely not the least experienced team in the top 25.
On top of that, we may have as much cohesion as any team in the top 25. Sure, we have a lot of sophomores and only 1 senior, but we are the only team that didn’t lose a transfer/add a transfer. And all of our guys have played together minus the freshman.
Basketball is all about chemistry, and even if your team is old, adding a new guy (or for many teams: guys) it can take a little while to get adjusted. The transfer portal was bananas this year.
2 “seniors”.

Someone on the Duke Basketball Report forum watched a recent practice and scrimmage. Flip sat out as a precaution. Small sample size but as of now the starting 5 are Flip, Mitchell, McCain, Roach and Proctor. First 3 off the bench Young, Foster and Stewart, and then TJ Power. Could change of course, and I imagine it will. McCain and Young stood out in the scrimmage.

Last edited:
I must admit Reeves looked good. I still don't think he's going to get big minutes but I think you have to play him a bit this year. He would start for quite a few schools and he's not going to wait forever if he's buried on the bench again.
I think Reeves plays some sizable minutes early on during our easier schedule, and I doubt he plays much more after conference play starts, unless he just really amazes in the start of the season. Hopefully he sticks around cause I see him as being an impact player as a junior

Someone on the Duke Basketball Report forum watched a recent practice and scrimmage. Flip sat out as a precaution. Small sample size but as of now the starting 5 are Flip, Mitchell, McCain, Roach and Proctor. First 3 off the bench Young, Foster and Stewart, and then TJ Power. Could change of course, and I imagine it will. McCain and Young stood out in the scrimmage.
I really like that lineup, we should be very versatile on D and have the ability to stretch the floor on the offense. I think defending against this team will be a tough task, especially when Power comes in for (I assume) whoever is in the 3 spot

I think Young will have a good year. I still think he can improve. He's got a year in the system. He probably won't play more than 20 minutes, but I think he can be effective. He has limitations I know. Him and Stewart and occasionally Reeves off the bench should be solid.

I agree with Chris, but I would amend his statement to be: "Stewart and a BIG DOSE OF REEVES off the bench should be solid."

I am sticking with my prediction that we will see more and more of Reeves after the New Year. He's just too long and seems to be able to finish inside well.

The DBR podcast said Ryan would be up top, sometimes with his back to the basket, and initiate the offense. Yes please. Draw the big out and open up driving lanes for Proctor, Flip, and Roach. Did we see how Roach drove to the basket at the end of the game and dare the cheats to stop him last year.

And I heard Flip had some hip problems since HS and pretty much instantly felt better range of movement (if anything, Duke medical is a big reason he returned). When everyone was worried about not adding a big man, I was on the "who is going to outrun us" wagon. And my god, if Stewart can just play D, block shots, and rebound so Flip can get out in transition...

I would almost argue the first one off the bench is more important than the fifth starter. And I have total faith in a HC that won a national championship as a player that had to adjust his senior year and slide more into the PG role.

We know who will be four of the starters. Let us stop worrying who that fifth starter is enjoy the fact that by conference play, we can keep opposing teams on their toes and 3-4 different guys can be that fifth starter.

Starting is overrated anyways. The fallacy someone is better because they start. Remember Hill did not start when he came back from injury in 1992. Sanders started over Boozer in the 2001 championship game.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
If young gets 20 minutes a game I expect Reeves to leave after this season for greener pastures .

I’m not against Roach , Proctor , McCain, Mitchell and Flip starting as long as all rebound and defend if not your giving up a lot of size in the backcourt and rim protection .

I think Reeves plays some sizable minutes early on during our easier schedule, and I doubt he plays much more after conference play starts, unless he just really amazes in the start of the season. Hopefully he sticks around cause I see him as being an impact player as a junior
The kid will play. No way we put Flip in a position to play heavy minutes at the 5.

If this is the starting, and consistent, lineup Duke will get beat handily on the boards.

Reactions: sheyduke
Maybe, but that line up will score a lot of points. We also have Young, Stewart, Reeves and Power as back ups. And Foster at guard.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT