ADVERTISEMENT

Schutt questions

Jon is just following the analytics. What are the alternatives? No one can hit mid range anymore and no one has post moves except for Young which will work out great if Young’s defender also has a three inch vertical leap

I'm glad you mentioned the mid range jumpers. Banchero was an amazing mid range jump shooter. No one could play zone against us because he hit those 12-15 footers all the time. This team can't make that shot to save its life. My non-analytical mind says Flip would be averaging 20 ppg if he could hit that shot regularly. Pitt and Clemson absolutely killed us on that shot.

Reactions: KDSTONE
I read that article and had the same questions. All his responses just made me doubt his competence even more.

Scheyer made himself look weak and incompetent with those comments. A simple Schutt is developing well in practice compliments Schutt but tells the press he may not be ready for prime time.

Scheyers responses look like a coach that does not know what they are doing.
First yr coach will get better at responses like that hopefully. If Shutt is playing well in practice and Jon acts like he’s not that will piss him off and in this day and age the portal would tear its ugly head. If he’s not playing well then his confidence is already fragile. Dealing with players harder than it’s ever been and probably hard for us to imagine the amount of bs involved. I’m not saying we should feel sorry for him based on the money they’re making but mistakes are going to be made

Reactions: Mac9192
Should Schutt play some now? By the dismal shooting we've shown, an argument can be made that he should. It can't hurt.

My only guess is that Schutt and Reeves must be way behind the other rotation players in practice to never get a shot. Cathings is another guy I thought would get a few minutes but hasn't played at all except for garbage time, and sometimes not even then. There seem to be 9 players Jon trusts, and that is it.

Last edited:
Reactions: KDSTONE
Catchings is a practice player. We're in big trouble if he sees any significant time other than in blowouts. With the limited time we've seen Reeves and Schutt, I am not sure why everyone is lamenting why the two aren't seeing more time. Schutt, I can at least understand concerning his shooting prowess. Neither of them looks steady on the defensive end at all. I do wish Jon would play them more just to get everyone to let it go, though, haha

Last edited:
Catchings is a practice player. We're in big trouble if he sees any significant time other than in blowouts. With the limited time we've seen Reeves and Schutt, I am not sure why everyone is lamenting why the two aren't seeing more time. Schutt, I can at least understand concerning his shooting prowess. Neither of them looks steady on the defensive end at all. I do wish Jon would play them more just to get everyone to let it go, though, haha
Actually Reeves did look good in the games he’s gotten in once he settles down . But I get your point .

Actually Reeves did look good in the games he’s gotten in once he settles down . But I get your point .
Hey, I would love to see them both come off the bench and be the answers. I don't believe they are. I hope I am wrong and Schutt gets his opportunity on Saturday. Doubtful that we will see Reeves get much burn.

Reactions: sheyduke
Hey, I would love to see them both come off the bench and be the answers. I don't believe they are. I hope I am wrong and Schutt gets his opportunity on Saturday. Doubtful that we will see Reeves get much burn.
I agree. Don’t see either as the answer and think the staff see’s more of them . Hope he does get burn Saturday because Duke will need all guards on deck .

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
We have one of the biggest teams in the country. Three
7 footers. We should be using our size more, including Reeves. We should be wearing teams down with our size. But instead we launch 20 3s a game.

Last edited:
Reactions: dukesince91
We have one of the biggest teams in the country. Three
7 footers. We should be using our size more, including Reeves. We should be wearing teams down with our size. But instead we launch 20 3s a game.
That’s because two of our 7 footers are weak and one is turnover machine when he dribbled and the other lacks the foot work to attack the basket with authority.

Reactions: Devilinside
From today's article,

"That’s become a growing area of concern. Duke is 300th in the country in 3-point percentage (31%) and 182nd in 2-point percentage (49.9%). It’s been trending in the wrong direction: The Blue Devils’ effective field goal percentage (same as FG percentage, just with more weight for made 3s) has been sub-50% in each of the last four games.It was under 50% in only four of the first 14 games (and two of those were wins)."

If only there was a sharpshooter on the bench...

I think John Scheyer was one of Duke's all-time great players. Coach K hand-picked him to take over upon his retirement. I am vey surprised to say that I am beginning to have my doubts about Cock Scheyer. So far I am just not seeing it. Sad.

Reactions: christophero
Scheyer was really, really, good. I remember he didn't have a turnover until January his senior year. They made a big deal of it. He wasn't flashy but he was so efficient.

Reactions: kingbluedevil
I think John Scheyer was one of Duke's all-time great players. Coach K hand-picked him to take over upon his retirement. I am vey surprised to say that I am beginning to have my doubts about Cock Scheyer. So far I am just not seeing it. Sad.
Hope he doesn’t read the board. He might get sad when he sees you called him Cock Scheyer.

Scheyer was really, really, good. I remember he didn't have a turnover until January his senior year. They made a big deal of it. He wasn't flashy but he was so efficient.
Was at the ACC tournament that year and this was one of our better TEAMS. We had no standout players but everyone knew their role and our substitution patterns were the same every game. When the Plumlees came in we usually got a lift. Scheyer was not a true point guard but was efficient.

Just looked up the roster for Duke 2010 take my comment back about no stars we had Nolan Seth Curry and Singler to go along with Kelly the Plumlees,Andre Dawson. That team would smoke us now.

Reactions: christophero
Just looked up the roster for Duke 2010 take my comment back about no stars we had Nolan Seth Curry and Singler to go along with Kelly the Plumlees,Andre Dawson. That team would smoke us now.
Scheyer was first-team All-ACC and second-team AP All-America in 2010. Runner-up—to Vasquez—for ACC POY. That qualifies as star for me. Singler was first-team All-ACC, Smith second-team. Zoubek, Thomas, Plumlee, Plumlee and Dawkins were complementary players, Zoubek maybe better than that down the stretch. Kelly barely played and Curry sat out the year after transferring from Liberty.

Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas were seniors, Singler and Smith juniors and none transferred in. Until the recruiting philosophy changes Duke simply isn't going to have that kind of experience and cohesion.

Scheyer was first-team All-ACC and second-team AP All-America in 2010. Runner-up—to Vasquez—for ACC POY. That qualifies as star for me. Singler was first-team All-ACC, Smith second-team. Zoubek, Thomas, Plumlee, Plumlee and Dawkins were complementary players, Zoubek maybe better than that down the stretch. Kelly barely played and Curry sat out the year after transferring from Liberty.

Scheyer, Zoubek, and Thomas were seniors, Singler and Smith juniors and none transferred in. Until the recruiting philosophy changes Duke simply isn't going to have that kind of experience and cohesion.
Zoubek really came on strong 2nd half of season and the Plumlees we're athletic coming off the bench

One thing I noticed, and Dickie V talks about this a lot, is that Schutt catches the ball in shooting position ready to shoot. It is kind of a lost art. Langdon was good at that. I was impressed by his driving ability. It was GT, but still an ACC game.

I know we can read too much into things, but is it possible that Coach S talking about Schutt needing to be ready to play lit a fire under Grandison? Grandison played well on Saturday.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I know we can read too much into things, but is it possible that Coach S talking about Schutt needing to be ready to play lit a fire under Grandison? Grandison played well on Saturday.
Lift I think you make a great point. Grandison played with as much poise as I have ever seen him play Saturday. He not only scored the ball, but his passing was razor sharp.I thought he shared the ball beautifully, particularly with some terrific entry passes.

I think you will find the ultimate diagnosis as the competition steps up considerably. This is a big week for our Blue Devils. We will find out if Jacob is able
to SUSTAIN his solid play from Saturday. It's certainly needed as we enter a brutal stretch.OFC

Reactions: Liftee

I had the misfortune of going to Chapel Hill for that 2011 game. Every other tool there had a Black Falcon shirt on lol but that 2011 was talented but didn’t have the grit wo the seniors you mentioned

If Shutt is worse than Grandison we could have another recruiting misfire on our hands. I know the age makes a big difference but damn

Watch all Grandison’s games this season . He always plays well to lesser opponents. Schutt played because no one knew how many minutes Roach and Blakes could go for and Whitehead is out . The score showed how bad GT is .

Watch all Grandison’s games this season . He always plays well to lesser opponents. Schutt played because no one knew how many minutes Roach and Blakes could go for and Whitehead is out . The score showed how bad GT is .
We had Proctor, Blakes, and Roach. They are pretty much interchangeable. So, I do not think Scheyer played Schutt because he had to, but because he wanted to reward Schutt for his improvement during practices. I think we will see more of Schutt even after Whitehead returns.

OFC

We had Proctor, Blakes, and Roach. They are pretty much interchangeable. So, I do not think Scheyer played Schutt because he had to, but because he wanted to reward Schutt for his improvement during practices. I think we will see more of Schutt even after Whitehead returns.

OFC
Jon spoke highly of Schutt following the game Saturday.

OFC

Grandison doesn’t handle the ball well, and is below average on being able to create his own shot. He is a role player. Any higher expectations of him are unfair.

His game is dependent on either an inside/out set, or penetrating by the guards with him in a ready position. He might be our best shooter, but doesn’t have a quick release. The better our guards are, the better chance he has of contributing.

In regards to Schutt, he has great form, and it looks like he will be a good shooter for Duke. Grandison provides a little better defense. I think Schutt's time will come.

Last edited:
Reactions: kingbluedevil
Schutt and Grandison both provide something this offense needs: spacing. Just having 1 of them on the court gives guys like Mitchell and Flip more room to operate.

Hard to take anything anyway from the GT game in regards to Schutt. He missed his only shot (wide open 3) when the game was competitive. Personally I don’t see a need to play both Grandison and Schutt with all the other guards we have. So I’d only play Schutt for emergency purposes (injuries, foul trouble, desperation). Definitely think next year and years to come Schutt will be an impact player though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT