ADVERTISEMENT

Roy turns down another recruit.

Well, the good thing is that it's the weekend, so the village idiot Gary is with the "Coach Mafia" gathering his "intel". I'm sure he will be able to break down as to why Roy decided at the last minute to stop recruiting the beast Markkanen. Stay tuned...

Reactions: topps coach
Steat and Gary missed another lock but they will say somewhere that its not a big miss as he was likely one and done anyway and Roy only wants student athletes who want a 4 year education. Speaking of Roy, he and Asst. Coach Robinson did get a nice European vacation out of this.

A note from Steat before the announcement:

"Dave, I agree that the Heels will get Lauri. I think he may be a more crucial recruit than Bradley. And if a Lauri signing leads to the start of a Euro pipeline that would be a brilliant coup by Roy. On the other hand, if Duke wins back-to-back titles with essentially the same strategy as last year the natives will get more and more restless. If K signs Giles, that gives him Giles, Tatum and Jackson for next year with the same strategy in 3 consecutive years. IMO, this is why the Heels need to win the NCAA title this year to even things out and change the "perception" that many have that you must have several one-in-dones to win titles. This year may be the Heels best chance in the next few years to win the NCAA title. They just need to get it done this season."

What a clown.

"Dave, I agree that the Heels will get Lauri. I think he may be a more crucial recruit than Bradley. And if a Lauri signing leads to the start of a Euro pipeline that would be a brilliant coup by Roy. On the other hand, if Duke wins back-to-back titles with essentially the same strategy as last year the natives will get more and more restless. If K signs Giles, that gives him Giles, Tatum and Jackson for next year with the same strategy in 3 consecutive years. IMO, this is why the Heels need to win the NCAA title this year to even things out and change the "perception" that many have that you must have several one-in-dones to win titles. This year may be the Heels best chance in the next few years to win the NCAA title. They just need to get it done this season."

What a clown.
He doesn't get the fact that OAD recruits have figured out that they can't and won't thrive in Roy's system. It has never happened and won't ever happen. Wright was not featured in Roy's system. Williams, like weight, came off the bench. Barnes was turned into a 2 year player and really didn't improve much during his tenure at UNC. And then there is JMM... What more needs to be said. Carolina's recruiting is what it is. They might start to land top 15-25 guys one the NCAA is done with them, but they will never land a OAD caliber player ever again as long as Roy is there

Blame is being put on TSA. Roy tried to take a gallon of the Nanner Pudding to Finland but hungry TSA agents at JFK ate it all.
Next time Roy will get Tami to handle transportation details for a private flight.

It must be tough on guys like Tatum , Okafor, Jones, Jeter, Parker, Winslow, Ingram, Kennard, Allen, Thorton , Frank Jackson and others to be told by HOF Coach Williams that they are not Tar Heel material. Just happy we get a shot at them coming to Duke. OFC

Last edited:
Reactions: mbdfan and dbav

What a clown.

Obviously he's a clown....but we've known that for years.

But I'm sick of the perception that Duke recruited three one-and-done's last year. With Okafor there was little doubt he was a one-year player, but partly it was K's system that allowed Tyus and Justise to not only thrive, but to showcase themselves at the same time. Those two did not arrive at Duke with the expectation of being one-year players.

In the same token, of our freshmen class this year only Brandon Ingram is viewed as one-and-done.

But I'm sick of the perception that Duke recruited three one-and-done's last year. With Okafor there was little doubt he was a one-year player, but partly it was K's system that allowed Tyus and Justise to not only thrive, but to showcase themselves at the same time. Those two did not arrive at Duke with the expectation of being one-year players.

In the same token, of our freshmen class this year only Brandon Ingram is viewed as one-and-done.

Everyone who actually follows recruiting and follows Duke knows this. But the "Coach K is changing with the times and challenging Calipari OAD supremacy" is the far more interesting narrative. Its also the better angle for anyone who wants to knock K/Duke.

Honestly, I don't really care anymore. I firmly believe that the guys that choose Duke do so for the right reasons. Yeah, some of them (Rivers, Jabari, Oak, probably Ingram) never had any intention of staying a 2nd year. But I'm pretty comfortable that they all went to Duke with the intention of having an actual college experience. As you said, Justise and Tyus earned their way into the first round through their play and made the (correct) decision to leave. Compare that to guys like the Harrisons, Dakari Johnson and several others who have chosen Kentucky, not developed and left with their tails between their legs either because Cal forced them out or because they were tired of playing school.

From what I remember, Justin Jackson was rated higher than Justise, and while Tyus was a top-5 recruit, no one was talking about him leaving until after his sophomore year at the earliest. Now, Jackson's the one returning and Justise and Tyus are about to start at the next level. Great job, Roy!

From what I remember, Justin Jackson was rated higher than Justise, and while Tyus was a top-5 recruit, no one was talking about him leaving until after his sophomore year at the earliest. Now, Jackson's the one returning and Justise and Tyus are about to start at the next level. Great job, Roy!
There isn't a better coach than Roy at Turning top ten OAD into multiple year role players

5timestheking hit the nail on the head. UNCheat is where exceptional basketball recruits used to go ripen for a few years before going to the next level. Exceptional recruits no longer want to ripen, instead they want to get the money and glory of the NBA. Cheating scandal or not, Roy's just not getting it done anymore and they don't improve enough even if staying two or three seasons. If Heel fans had the choice between choosing Roy's or Coach K's development we know they would choose K. Interesting that so many of the Holes fans say they are so glad that Roy is the UNC Coach. Its pretty hard not to laugh at a fool.

Last edited:
Interesting that so many of the Holes fans say they are so glad that Roy is the UNC Coach.

Something both fanbases can agree on. We're glad he's their coach too. Look , when ya got middlin' talents like JP Tokoto sayin' ya gotta leave unx ( Roy ) if ya wanna have a shot at the league , the writing's on the wall. NCAA sanctions or no NCAA sanctions...none of that accounts for why Roy is missin' on these kids. Developing pros ain't his particular area of expertise and there was a time when that was fine. Critics used to dog K because of it too. I thought it was unfair. K's job is to win games at Duke NOT be a minor league coach. For better or worse , things have changed. Elite players wanna go where they can win big AND develop. K's adapted. Roy? Uhhh , not so much. Tryin' to sell these kids on "2 and 3 year plans" is pure ego-maniacal selfishness and the word's out. If unx fans wanna blame the NCAA , fine. Let 'em have at it. But it's Roy. 4+ years of NCAA scrutiny has very little to do with his recruiting whiffs.

Ahh, what a pity...say it ain't so, Moe. The recruiting trail has been a little rocky for Roy lately.

Another One Bites the Dust

O'l Roy walks warily down the street
With his head hanging way down low
Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet
Machine guns ready to go
Are you ready? Hey are you ready for this?
Are you hanging on the edge Steat?
Out of his hand recruits slip
To the sound of a cheat

Another recruitment bites the dust
Another one bites the dust
And another one gone, and another one gone
Another one cites no trust
Hey, Roy's gonna lose too

How do you think Roy's going to string 'em along
Without AFAM, they're all gone
Heels used the suckers for everything they had
Left them illiterate and on their own
Are you happy, are you satisfied?
How long can Roy stand the heat
To the sound of a cheat

OFC

Last edited:
Something both fanbases can agree on. We're glad he's their coach too. Look , when ya got middlin' talents like JP Tokoto sayin' ya gotta leave unx ( Roy ) if ya wanna have a shot at the league , the writing's on the wall. NCAA sanctions or no NCAA sanctions...none of that accounts for why Roy is missin' on these kids. Developing pros ain't his particular area of expertise and there was a time when that was fine. Critics used to dog K because of it too. I thought it was unfair. K's job is to win games at Duke NOT be a minor league coach. For better or worse , things have changed. Elite players wanna go where they can win big AND develop. K's adapted. Roy? Uhhh , not so much. Tryin' to sell these kids on "2 and 3 year plans" is pure ego-maniacal selfishness and the word's out. If unx fans wanna blame the NCAA , fine. Let 'em have at it. But it's Roy. 4+ years of NCAA scrutiny has very little to do with his recruiting whiffs.
THIS!!!!!!

Is the UNC faithful screaming "$hananigans" or can they deal with the possibility that the kid liked Miller and Arizona better? I mean, no one turns down UNC, there is always an explanation!

Is the UNC faithful screaming "$hananigans" or can they deal with the possibility that the kid liked Miller and Arizona better? I mean, no one turns down UNC, there is always an explanation!
I blame it on good taste. Good thing Luke Maye doesn't have a discriminating palate.

Ahh, what a pity...say it ain't so, Moe. The recruiting trail has been a little rocky for Roy lately.

Another One Bites the Dust

O'l Roy walks warily down the street
With his head hanging way down low
Ain't no sound but the sound of his feet
Machine guns ready to go
Are you ready? Hey are you ready for this?
Are you hanging on the edge Steat?
To the sound of a cheat

How do you think Roy's going to string 'em along
Without AFAM, they're all gone
Heels used the suckers for everything they had
Left them illiterate and on their own
Are you happy, are you satisfied?
How long can Roy stand the heat
To the sound of a cheat

OFC

You are gifted. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil

I've tried to explain that to a number of "fans" since all 3 announced. I've learned (a long time ago) that people are exceptional at selective hearing and revisionist history.

This was a huge miss for UNC. He probably was there top recruit they actually had a chance of getting. If they miss on Woods they are screwed.

Roy pulls off the hat trick...

Adam Zagoria‏@AdamZagoria

Harry Giles won't visit North carolina, per @ohacoachsmith, so Duke will be the last visit over Halloween.

Ultimately I think Woods chooses UNC, but it sure would be a hoot if he didn't.

And while it's hardly noteworthy news that Giles won't visit UNC, it's still quite telling when the top recruit in your state doesn't even drop in to say hello.

Reactions: skysdad
Wasn't Pinson rated higher than Winslow in a couple of the rankings? Even without the injury, Pinson wasn't starting on an inferior team.

Ultimately I think Woods chooses UNC, but it sure would be a hoot if he didn't.

And while it's hardly noteworthy news that Giles won't visit UNC, it's still quite telling when the top recruit in your state doesn't even drop in to say hello.

If Woods does choose UNC will this make him a lock for one of the top 50 NBA players of all time.:rolleyes: OFC

If Woods does choose UNC will this make him a lock for one of the top 50 NBA players of all time.

They're already hyping Luke Maye fer cryin' out loud. Tells ya all ya need to know about their opinion of Woods...unless , of course , he decides NOT to play for Roy.

Reactions: skysdad
Wasn't Pinson rated higher than Winslow in a couple of the rankings? Even without the injury, Pinson wasn't starting on an inferior team.
Which is exactly why Roy Williams will never sign a top 10, potential OAD player again in his career. Justin Jackson was a monumental disappointment. Pinsom wasn't good... At all and berry was best out by Nate Britt for minutes... Nate Britt. Who was the last freshman that was really a star and didn't struggle at Carolina under Roy??

They're already hyping Luke Maye fer cryin' out loud. Tells ya all ya need to know about their opinion of Woods...unless , of course , he decides NOT to play for Roy.

It's really got to be tough to be a Tar Heel fan this year. If they don't win the NC this year we may see the meltdown of all meltdowns. That's all they have to look positive to. This season. They have put all their chips into the pot and hoping no one has a better hand. OFC

Which is exactly why Roy Williams will never sign a top 10, potential OAD player again in his career. Justin Jackson was a monumental disappointment. Pinsom wasn't good... At all and berry was best out by Nate Britt for minutes... Nate Britt. Who was the last freshman that was really a star and didn't struggle at Carolina under Roy??

Jackson was hardly a monumental disappointment. He's good. And he's going to be really good this season. Besides, he was never thought of as a one-and-done talent.

Pinson is a great athlete. But he can't shoot. At all. He battled injuries last season and it set him back, but even had he been healthy he's wasn't going to get much run. As for this season? The Heels don't need him for them to be good.

Berry is the wildcard, though. If he's good, which I think he can be, then UNC will have a shot. But based on what I saw last season I'm still not ready to say he's a guy to lead a team to the title. That opinion can change though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT