ADVERTISEMENT

Roy desperately pulling strings.....

I want argue that point, but thats simply not the way it is.....If you tried to change it you would have a firestorm of controversy amongst the nations coaches. Besides there are more pressing issues for the NCAA to consider and rule on; The UNC scandal is one for instance....lol OFC
I agree there are more pressing issues. I, personally, would like to see some kid (perhaps this one) challenge the NCAA on these issues. If the NCAA doesn't want to resolve these things, the courts can make them.
And the firestorm among the coaches is precisely the problem. The people making the decisions (ADs) have their employees (the coaches) in mind when making rules. This whole thing is SUPPOSED to be about the kids. The best rules for the kids may not be the rules for coaches would prefer. But like so often happens with decision makers with lots of money on the line, the powerful exploit the powerless.

Maybe I don't understand. The kid graduated did he not? Shouldn't he be able to go wherever he wants?

Well right now that is the rule and it shouldn't be changed just because hof coach roy williams and unc wants it to be so. Never heard a thing about it until unc wanted Johnson. If the rule changes make the change in the off season to come in effect the following season not to just the advantage of unc. They are getting by with enough junk down there as it is. Maybe he will just go somewhere else and that be it. OFC

Well right now that is the rule and it shouldn't be changed just because hof coach roy williams and unc wants it to be so. Never heard a thing about it until unc wanted Johnson. If the rule changes make the change in the off season to come in effect the following season not to just the advantage of unc. They are getting by with enough junk down there as it is. Maybe he will just go somewhere else and that be it. OFC

Right on Sky, Johnson is getting an outpouring of "sympathy" now from folks who simply dont comprehend a longtime understanding in conferences nationally.

However your point is so well taken because Ol Roy is after the kid and UNC folks are crying foul. I just wish our board would understand the backlash against Coach K if he was trying to pull off a similar move.

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Right on Sky, Johnson is getting an outpouring of "sympathy" now from folks who simply dont comprehend a longtime understanding in conferences nationally.

However your point is so well taken because Ol Roy is after the kid and UNC folks are crying foul. I just wish our board would understand the backlash against Coach K if he was trying to pull off a similar move.

OFC

Oh yea, Coach K would be Satin and Hitler again. OFC

Reactions: hart2chesson
I don't disagree with the rule at all. Leave it to unc to turn everything into a media deal. There are still a ton of schools he can go to and not sit out. So not sure why there should be sympathy

While I agree it is the rule in place and Ol Roy shouldn't be able to find a way around it but it is a stupid rule. This kid graduated and as far as I know exhausted his eligibility at Pitt. He couldn't play at Pitt if he wanted to. To tell him hey you can't go back to Pitt but you can't go here either just seems stupid, IMO.

Reactions: sheyduke
While I agree it is the rule in place and Ol Roy shouldn't be able to find a way around it but it is a stupid rule. This kid graduated and as far as I know exhausted his eligibility at Pitt. He couldn't play at Pitt if he wanted to. To tell him hey you can't go back to Pitt but you can't go here either just seems stupid, IMO.

Flipside Pitt is allowing him to go to UNC and be eligible for financial aid immediately. He just has to sit. Roy wants the kid because he put up 24 on him (5 3's in the nosedome last year). These kids KNOW when they enroll transfers within conferences are frowned upon. Swofford can expect an earful from the ACC coaching fraternity if this is overturned....(they dont look upon it as a "stupid" rule).

I am sure Roy has tried telling Pitt coach Kevin Stallings (longtime buddies) he'll cut a deal w/him if Stallings lifts the 1 yr "sit" clause. Maybe an asst job if Stallings gets fired....lol OFC

I can completely understand the sentiment that student-athletes who have graduated should be able to pick their next destination with no restrictions beyond the existing ones - primarily that their new school has a masters program their previous school didn't. But even so, I don't think an in-conference restriction is unreasonable. That is another program that you see 2 to 3 times on an annual basis. Adding that one restriction isn't overly stifling. Even if you wanted to go from one P5 school to another, an in-conference restriction only removes 1/5th of your options. You still have plenty to choose from.

I can completely understand the sentiment that student-athletes who have graduated should be able to pick their next destination with no restrictions beyond the existing ones - primarily that their new school has a masters program their previous school didn't. But even so, I don't think an in-conference restriction is unreasonable. That is another program that you see 2 to 3 times on an annual basis. Adding that one restriction isn't overly stifling. Even if you wanted to go from one P5 school to another, an in-conference restriction only removes 1/5th of your options. You still have plenty to choose from.

THIS

OFC

Yes about Obi, hence he is choosing to transfer. The kid from Pitt has graduated and can not play for Pitt next year correct? I'm not arguing from the perspective of schools, I understand not wanting a kid to go to another school in conference. But he graduated, he fulfilled his obligation to Pitt, he should be able to choose where he wants to go.

Yes about Obi, hence he is choosing to transfer. The kid from Pitt has graduated and can not play for Pitt next year correct? I'm not arguing from the perspective of schools, I understand not wanting a kid to go to another school in conference. But he graduated, he fulfilled his obligation to Pitt, he should be able to choose where he wants to go.

But he can CHOOSE UNC, he just has to sit out a year...

OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
The kid from Pitt has graduated and can not play for Pitt next year correct?
He CAN play for Pitt. He would have to enroll in a grad program there. Lots of people graduate and continue to play for their team, as grad students. Marshall Plumlee was a grad student his "senior" year if I remember correctly. And I think Grayson will be next year?

Flipside Pitt is allowing him to go to UNC and be eligible for financial aid immediately. He just has to sit. Roy wants the kid because he put up 24 on him (5 3's in the nosedome last year). These kids KNOW when they enroll transfers within conferences are frowned upon. Swofford can expect an earful from the ACC coaching fraternity if this is overturned....(they dont look upon it as a "stupid" rule

I am sure Roy has tried telling Pitt coach Kevin Stallings (longtime buddies) he'll cut a deal w/him if Stallings lifts the 1 yr "sit" clause. Maybe an asst job if Stallings gets fired....lol OFC

Bottom line guys is the only reason hof coach wants this guy is because needs him because he's not landing the players he was before the cheating scandal came out. hof coach wouldn't have given him the time of day if the situation were different. That shows the true character of the man. I'm beginning to believe the only slimier coach out there is Cal and hof coach roy williams is overcoming him at a fast pace. OFC

Bottom line guys is the only reason hof coach wants this guy is because needs him because he's not landing the players he was before the cheating scandal came out. hof coach wouldn't have given him the time of day if the situation were different. That shows the true character of the man. I'm beginning to believe the only slimier coach out there is Cal and hof coach roy williams is overcoming him at a fast pace. OFC

I think hes caught Cal with this latest move Sky, OFC

Reactions: skysdad
He CAN play for Pitt. He would have to enroll in a grad program there. Lots of people graduate and continue to play for their team, as grad students. Marshall Plumlee was a grad student his "senior" year if I remember correctly. And I think Grayson will be next year?
Ok that's where I was confused. I thought he had to do his grad year at a different school.

Flipside Pitt is allowing him to go to UNC and be eligible for financial aid immediately. He just has to sit. Roy wants the kid because he put up 24 on him (5 3's in the nosedome last year). These kids KNOW when they enroll transfers within conferences are frowned upon. Swofford can expect an earful from the ACC coaching fraternity if this is overturned....(they dont look upon it as a "stupid" rule).

It's done and there ain't nothing Roy can do about it. Eric Bossi was weighting in on the outcome tonight. He will not be going to UNC unless he wants to sit a year.

Ain'tt over yet gang, hold tight.

Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass…............ It’s about learning to dance in the rain.
183 mikeirbyusa, Yesterday at 7:27 PM

What does mike know that we don't know. Has a deal been cut. Is mike nifong and john edwards be using their fame to influence Pitt. Lot's of respected power in those two unc alumni. After all edwards could have well been our VPOTUS and who know even the POTUS someday and nifong in his cabinet. Big things may be going on behind closed doors we aren't allowed to see. Whatever it is mikeirbyusa is keeping it close to his chest which makes me think he may be a major player in all this. Sounds like the family may be in a desperate situation and are willing to do anything to get what they want. Hang on to your hats and until I hear that Johnson is going elsewhere I believe hof coach roy williams has pulled it off. OFC

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
No way Cam Johnson commits to UNC without Pitt lifting the restriction. I imagine Cam will want to make a decision relatively soon; the longer this contentious dispute about the restriction is still in effect, the more likely Cam will lose patience and decide to go elsewhere. Arizona was presumed to be the early leader for his services, but I don't see that as an option. Rawle Alkins recently announced that he's returning to school; their starting wings are pretty much set with Alonzo Trier and Alkins. Also, 5-star recruit Emmanuel Akot has reclassified and will join Arizona for the 2017-2018 season.

Not sure who the leader is at this point (maybe Kentucky), but getting 2 quality years from an experienced player would be a huge boost for any program... On a side note, Pittsburgh is going to be laughably bad next year. They have 2 returning players to go along with a bunch of incoming 3-star recruits.

I can just hear this conversation now. hof coach roy williams talking to Pitts coach. "Look Kevin if you will allow Cameron to be eligible right away I will never play him against you guys. I'll figure out something to keep him out of the lineup. I got to have everything possible to beat dook. Mike just grinds my rear end. Just can't beat him like I do everyone else. I'll tell you what. If Cameron comes to unc and he will if I tell him he can I will give you wanda's recipe for " nanner puddin." You got any idea how much that thing is worth. How to you think I got kennedy meeks to stay 4 years when he could have been a OAD. Now are you with me on this. I can make it good for Pitt. or make it a little irritating. You know I close I am with swofford don't you. Remember Clemson. Now what's it going to be. OFC

What would be the problem with him sitting when the Heels play Pitt. He can't burn them if he's not playing. It's not like their going to be great next year.

206 HeelzLover, 43 minutes ago

You just can't make these things up. I'll guarantee that heelzlover really believes that is possible to pull off. I hope every one knows I was being sarcastic with my comment but apparently there are people that think hof coach roy williams really should make this part of the deal. OFC

Well, one thing is for DAMN sure. If a rule CAN be broken, that's the frigging National Rule Breaking Headquarters over there so anything is possible. UNC has already figured out, you throw enough money at something it can sure disappear. Case in point, that 20 million dollar banner going up.

They can always start a petition or there can be an unc fan march on Pitt. Can you imagine millions of tar heel fans from all over the country marching in protest into Pittsburg. It's a family thing you know. OFC

They can always start a petition or there can be an unc fan march on Pitt. Can you imagine millions of tar heel fans from all over the country marching in protest into Pittsburg. It's a family thing you know. OFC

The "Pitt Parade" w/ol Huckleberry himself leading the march.....

"We Want Cam, Our Classes Are SHAM!"

Oops forgot to give RW the old Sky intro in my modified way, Hall of Shame Coach Roy.

OFC

He has two years of eligibility left and could play at Pitt

Jay Bilas (no surprise) has made a big deal about it because UNC is the affected party. (Jay's never ranted about the transfer rule before now). He's even gone to the EXTREME of going after Coach Cutcliffe and Duke football....Come on Jay, Come on man- there were absolutely ZERO FIREWORKS between Duke and Thomas Sirk over Sirk's transfer.....

OFC

Reactions: dukedevilz
Jay Bilas (no surprise) has made a big deal about it because UNC is the affected party. (Jay's never ranted about the transfer rule before now). He's even gone to the EXTREME of going after Coach Cutcliffe and Duke football....Come on Jay, Come on man- there were absolutely ZERO FIREWORKS between Duke and Thomas Sirk over Sirk's transfer.....

OFC

He whines an awful lot. No surprise that he has found something else to gripe about. I still enjoy hearing from him, but I could do without the, "that's a terrible call!" every three minutes of a game.

This is a good piece here criticizing Bilas from Adam Bittner (granted, bias at the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette), but I think he's right. I'd say the same if the kid were wanting to come to Duke.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-carolina-jay-bilas-espn/stories/201705220133

While I do think that Bilas is right about players getting paid, and the NCAA is a disastrous org for not doing that, I also think that there is something to be said about competitive balance - especially in leagues (ACC, SEC, etc.).

Kids should get funds for their contributions (especially if their likeness is used to promote a school). But, NCAA athletics is not just about individuals; it's also about teams and programs. And, allowing immediate transfers to competitive rivals undermines the competitive balance. Sure, recruit all you want before they sign; and, let kids transfer. But, I think that it can damage that school and the players there if kids are transferring to in conference rivals. Imagine if every kid at a less successful program who became a quality player after a year or two, decided to go to Duke or UNC - the game would be too skewed in their favor. It's not asking for parity; but just providing a rule that protects some level of competition on the court or field. And, it's not like there aren't a hundred other schools who would take the player.

A note on Bilas. I like a lot of things about his views on the NCAA. But, he is a whiner and he's also arrogant. And quite often a jerk to people. I've never interacted with him for that reason. If you follow him on Twitter a) he's pretty full of himself and his work ethic is legendary in his own mind. I mean, who tweets about how early they get up and go to work? And, b) he often treats people who disagree with him with disdain; it just exposes that he's not a humble, genuinely good guy. When he does act self-deprecating on TV, it's typically a way of making himself look good as opposed to a genuine humility about himself.

He certainly doesn't exude a lot of the good human qualities that other former Duke players do - like Grant Hill, Battier, JJ, or Chris Collins. Too bad.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT