ADVERTISEMENT

Roy desperately pulling strings.....

Well I guess hof coach roy williams knows which strings to pull because he seems to get his way. OFC

Well it helps when you have John Swofford as conference czar, plus you're the old veteran HOF coach dealing w/your ex-assistant. Then you also have public opinion in your corner with the media singing your song..Pretty easy power play for ol Roy...

OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Oh, and I will admit freely that the fact that a program that has cheated for 20 years, and a coach that is a blatant cheater is attempting to do something (that they wouldn't ever allow) galls my ass.

THIS^^^^. Roy and his employer are unabashed unrepentant cheaters and while this may be the best thing for the student athlete involved , it's just a damn shame that Roy and unx should be the beneficiaries...especially since the holes have little to no interest whatsoever in what's best for the student athlete. Bilas jumped in an' all of of a sudden this becomes all about the mean ol' NCAA's archaic and unfair rules instead of here's yet another example of Roy and his employer tryin' to work the system...which is EXACTLY what they're doin.' At the end of the day , this is probably the right thing to do but there's no reason whatsoever for Roy and unx to be a part of it. Just speakin' for myself but that would be my only beef with any of it.

Reactions: Devilinside
THIS^^^^. Roy and his employer are unabashed unrepentant cheaters and while this may be the best thing for the student athlete involved , it's just a damn shame that Roy and unx should be the beneficiaries...especially since the holes have little to no interest whatsoever in what's best for the student athlete. Bilas jumped in an' all of of a sudden this becomes all about the mean ol' NCAA's archaic and unfair rules instead of here's yet another example of Roy and his employer tryin' to work the system...which is EXACTLY what they're doin.' At the end of the day , this is probably the right thing to do but there's no reason whatsoever for Roy and unx to be a part of it. Just speakin' for myself but that would be my only beef with any of it.

You speak for more than yourself, both about the cheating "beneficiaries," and the role of Bilas.

OFC

Reactions: QC Dukie
WTF is your point? DevilDJ did not state or imply that Bilas did have a hand in it. We are sure he did not, thankfully.

Read his post again. I think he was clearly implying Bilas played a part. If he wasn't, then my reading comprehension is obviously lacking.

IMO Bilas played a role.....He's a nationally respected college basketball analyst hailed by many as the best. Thats quite the bully pulpit he has on ESPN, considering hes their lead analyst, and really expert (remember he's also a lawyer)on issues of the sport per the NCAA....He even did an internship w/the NCAA while a Duke student-athlete.

He ELEVATED the topic of the Johnson intra-conference transfer on his twitter site, was quoted in national stories, etc on what he deemed to be unfair. I think the attention he brought to it only HELPED apply media attention swelling in Johnson's favor.

Furthermore, I think Bilas would probably agree and be glad to diagram it on the "Bilastrator!" Lol OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
I disagree.

Lost in all this, though, is that Cam Johnson finally gets to play where, and for who, he wants. I'm happy for the kid, but would have preferred he wanted to go elsewhere. He'll help them next season.

Ive got no problem with this kid going on to play somewhere immediately. Personally I think this is bad. Go anywhere you want young man, just not within the same conference. I agree about the influence Bilas has. He's not some hack sitting on a barstool saying this isn't right. He's a highly respected, highly intelligent former player, who happens to have a law degree from a prestigious college. His views and opinions are heard by many, including the NCAA top brass, and it's naive to think he's just another opinion. Bilas, whether we like him or not, knows his voice is heard. No one cares what Seth Greenberg says

Reactions: hart2chesson
I disagree with y'all. Bilas may influence the dialogue in the media, but that is as far as it goes. Decision makers on boards do not rely on the media for their decisions, for obvious reasons. Besides, Bilas' reasoning hardly constitutes a consensus on the issue and is far from infallible If and when the courts ever adopt the "pay for play" union rationale, things may change. Until then, coaches, AD's, and college presidents are the only ones with real influence over decisions. I do not see Bilas having much, if any, sway over them and/or the NCAA bras. Naïve to believe otherwise.

Ive got no problem with this kid going on to play somewhere immediately. Personally I think this is bad. Go anywhere you want young man, just not within the same conference. I agree about the influence Bilas has. He's not some hack sitting on a barstool saying this isn't right. He's a highly respected, highly intelligent former player, who happens to have a law degree from a prestigious college. His views and opinions are heard by many, including the NCAA top brass, and it's naive to think he's just another opinion. Bilas, whether we like him or not, knows his voice is heard. No one cares what Seth Greenberg says

Amen, preach brother....When the same tune gets trumpeted OVER AND OVER from the top dog at "the worldwide leader" its BOUND to influence others views. OFC

I disagree with y'all. Bilas may influence the dialogue in the media, but that is as far as it goes. Decision makers on boards do not rely on the media for their decisions, for obvious reasons. Besides, Bilas' reasoning hardly constitutes a consensus on the issue and is far from infallible If and when the courts ever adopt the "pay for play" union rationale, things may change. Until then, coaches, AD's, and college presidents are the only ones with real influence over decisions. I do not see Bilas having much, if any, sway over them and/or the NCAA bras. Naïve to believe otherwise.

Well said.

No one is saying Bilas changed the rule. He is the most powerful voice, outside of the great coaches, regarding college basketball. An example of his power is to go to the premium site of DI. Clint Jackson and Coach are very respected, as they should be. Both give great posts on recruits, and occasionally dish out their opinions on Duke and current play by the team. When they give their opinions, guess what, nobody criticizes them or questions them. That's because everyone knows they're smart. Same goes for Bilas.

No one is saying Bilas changed the rule. He is the most powerful voice, outside of the great coaches, regarding college basketball. An example of his power is to go to the premium site of DI. Clint Jackson and Coach are very respected, as they should be. Both give great posts on recruits, and occasionally dish out their opinions on Duke and current play by the team. When they give their opinions, guess what, nobody criticizes them or questions them. That's because everyone knows they're smart. Same goes for Bilas.
Well said

OFC

I don't disagree, although Bilas is criticized ad nauseaum on this site....because he has his own opinions and is perceived as being in UNC's back pocket, as ridiculous as that sounds. Bilas is criticized here because he's not a blind homer. Some people really don't like that.

Jay raises millions of dollars for Duke every year through various charities and organizations, and Coach K is a confidant and mentor to him. So sure, he's a guy doing dirty work for UNC. That doesn't even make a little bit of sense, does it?

I don't disagree, although Bilas is criticized ad nauseaum on this site....because he has his own opinions and is perceived as being in UNC's back pocket, as ridiculous as that sounds. Bilas is criticized here because he's not a blind homer. Some people really don't like that.

Jay raises millions of dollars for Duke every year through various charities and organizations, and Coach K is a confidant and mentor to him. So sure, he's a guy doing dirty work for UNC. That doesn't even make a little bit of sense, does it?

I dont criticize Bilas because he's not a "blind homer." I call my Blue Devil sports like I see 'em just like G-Man or Grant Hill. Those guys call things right down the middle. I do have a problem w/his arrogance as perceived by others I have talked to in the Duke community, even though I respect many of his strategies/insights.

He's a lawyer in a Carolina town (Charlotte) and I do think he leans a little bit toward the Heels too much not only for his UNC alumnus ESPN boss, but tips the scales a bit overboard to the point of sounding anti-Duke at times.....Most here have agreed and others would be in the minority....OFC

Reactions: Devilinside
I dont criticize Bilas because he's not a "blind homer." I call my Blue Devil sports like I see 'em just like G-Man or Grant Hill. Those guys call things right down the middle. I do have a problem w/his arrogance as perceived by others I have talked to in the Duke community, even though I respect many of his strategies/insights.

He's a lawyer in a Carolina town (Charlotte) and I do think he leans a little bit toward the Heels too much not only for his UNC alumnus ESPN boss, but tips the scales a bit overboard to the point of sounding anti-Duke at times.....Most here have agreed and others would be in the minority....OFC
Well said

Reactions: hart2chesson
Driving to work this morning, I suffered through another Bilas sermon on Mike and Mike. This time he took the untenable position that the NCAA unfairly and improperly sanctioned Pitino by suspending him for 5 games as a result of the hooker fiasco. Bilas did not think a finding that Pitino knew or should have known about the incident was enough to justify the sanction. This conclusion causes me to question Bilas' ability as a lawyer. If Pitino actually knew what was going on, 5 games was not enough. A finding that Pitino should have known, is a finding that, at the least, Pitino was negligent or grossly negligent in supervising the program, in which case 5 games was lenient.
During the same interview, Bilas exhibited his pro-UNC bent by giving an as yet unsupportable legal opinion that the NCAA has no business investigating UNC because the scandal was unrelated to athletics and involved only academic issues. This view, from what I have read, constitutes the minority view among the media. Bilas' proclamation that any sanctions would definitely be overturned in court without him having any knowledge of the facts relied upon by the NCAA reveals Bilas for what he really is, a sanctimonious know-it-all. Finally, Bilas' bias against the NCAA could not be more evident. I cannot recall the last time that Bilas ever agreed with the NCAA, or even objectively presented both sides of an issue.

Last edited:
Driving to work this morning, I suffered through another Bilas sermon on Mike and Mike. This time he took the untenable position that the NCAA unfairly and improperly sanctioned Pitino by suspending him for 5 games as a result of the hooker fiasco. Bilas did not think a finding that Pitino knew or should have known about the incident was enough to justify the sanction. This conclusion causes me to question Bilas' ability as a lawyer. If Pitino actually knew what was going on, 5 games was not enough. A finding that Pitino should have known, is a finding that, at the least, Pitino was negligent or grossly negligent in supervising the program, in which case 5 games was lenient.
During the same interview, Bilas exhibited his pro-UNC bent by giving an as yet unsupportable legal opinion that the NCAA has no business investigating UNC because the scandal was unrelated to athletics and involved only academic issues. This view, from what I have read, constitutes the minority view among the media. Bilas' proclamation that any sanctions would definitely be overturned in court without him having any knowledge of the facts relied upon by the NCAA reveals Bilas for what he really is, a sanctimonious know-it-all. Finally, Bilas' bias against the NCAA could not be more evident. I cannot recall the last time that Bilas ever agreed with the NCAA, or even objectively presented both sides of an issue.
BRAVO!!!

OFC

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT