ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Hampton

tp394

All Conference
Oct 26, 2018
Could definitely use him now. I feel like we need another solid shooter. Cut us from his list but does anyone think it’s a possibility we go after him again now? Seemed like he wanted to go to duke at one point. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get involved with him again.

Could definitely use him now. I feel like we need another solid shooter. Cut us from his list but does anyone think it’s a possibility we go after him again now? Seemed like he wanted to go to duke at one point. I wouldn’t be shocked if we get involved with him again.
He’s not coming to Duke.

Does anyone think Boogie Ellis' decommitment was a mutual thing? Hate to think that way but who knows?

I really think that K told him they want him but not for 2019 out of respect for boogie and other guards. I don’t think RJ cut us because he doesn’t want to come to duke. I think we made it clear when we wanted him. But now with changes i think we could get back in. All really depends on how RJ takes it

Reactions: hart2chesson
Keep hope alive. That ship has sailed. He’s not coming to Duke. We stopped recruiting him after Tre decided to come back. His dad doesn’t seem like the type that’s very fond of his son being an emergency option.

Why is he needed all of the sudden. Tre is the PG either way. AOC and Baker are the shooting. If they can't get it done then we won't have much shooting. RJ doesnt strike me as a pure shooter, more of a Kyrie type scorer. He can shoot, but maybe wouldnt be happy spotting up, needs the ball. Well you cant play Tre off the ball much because he doesn't shoot it well enough. Run the thing around Tre, play good defense, let the big boys bang, and hopefully one of our wings (Alex or Joey or both) can have a good year shooting the ball.

Keep hope alive. That ship has sailed. He’s not coming to Duke. We stopped recruiting him after Tre decided to come back. His dad doesn’t seem like the type that’s very fond of his son being an emergency option.

You know K was watching Hampton last week. Not sure where you’re getting your facts from.

From what I've read...Hampton cutting us DID have a lot to do with Tre coming back. I can say with certainty he was ours had Tre gone pro.
I don't think he was worried about us recruiting other guards, because frankly, Hampton would have started over any of them anyway.

I'd still bet against us landing him, I'm sure K is reaching out again, I'd love to land him, think he's a game changer.

Reactions: Quavarius
I don't see how this changes anything for RJ Hampton. He wouldn't be competing for playing time with Boogie anyway.

Reactions: jwill133
I don't see how this changes anything for RJ Hampton. He wouldn't be competing for playing time with Boogie anyway.
I agree with that but i don’t think he cut us because of that. I think we made it clear to him that we want him in 2020 out of respect i guess you would say for the other guards instead of “ recruiting over” them. At many times Rj seemed like he really wanted to be at duke. Now with boogie gone i think we can add another guard without “recruiting over” anyone. So I’m saying we told him we’d take him 2020 but not 2019. But with this change i think it’s possible we can get back in

So if we stopped recruiting him, what were we watching him for?

Because he had not made the decision to reclassify yet. I thought you would know this. We still wanted him for 2020. We stopped recruiting him for 2019. I’m sure it was made pretty clear to the staff that RJ wanted the ball in his hands and once Tre came back that was out.

If Duke can’t have him, I’m cool with no other school getting him. I do think he comes to Duke had Tre Jones went pro or stayed in 2020, but whatever. I wanted that kid, but I’m happy with a sophomore Jones + Hampton playing overseas.

NZ not really known for its quality basketball so interesting choice to prepare for the NBA by playing there.

Not a great look for college basketball.....

He was a Duke lock had he wanted to wait another year. Oh well, I feel like Duke is the winners here, we keep Tre and don't lose RJ to another school.
RJ's stock is skyrocketing, he should be a top 3 pick in the 2020 draft.

Reactions: Quavarius
I would’ve loved for him to come to Duke where it was in 2019 or 2020 but but if he didn’t want to have to go to college for a year before being able to play in the NBA and he found a way to play professionally now then I can’t really blame him even if I wish he would’ve come to Duke.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT