ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Hampton’s comments

Don’t think Coach is going to wait til August to see what a kid decides. If Hurt commits next week Hampton may change his timetable.
If Watford signs w Memphis I think Hampton will follow.

Don’t think Coach is going to wait til August to see what a kid decides. If Hurt commits next week Hampton may change his timetable.
If Watford signs w Memphis I think Hampton will follow.
Yeah, RJ might have said he wants to do the AAU season and then decide but I can’t see the staff going that route in this situation.

What’s a hedge move?

Essentially bring a recruit in and show not only them that you have interest, but show someone else you want who might be balking that you are willing to move on with their spot. RJ has a spot if he wants it. But Cassius can have that spot if there’s no movement. We have a week to see how this goes.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I wish he’d stay in 2020 but again If he’s intent on reclassifying than might as well go to duke.

Reactions: dukehokie
If either sign with Duke then next year’s team is going to have a great ball hounding defense. Ellis, Moore, Jones , Jordan and either Stanley or Hampton will give Duke a great backcourt. Alex and Joey are going to have to get better to get off the bench.
Add Carey, Hurt, Javin, White and hopefully Bolden up front and Duke will have a
solid team.

Essentially bring a recruit in and show not only them that you have interest, but show someone else you want who might be balking that you are willing to move on with their spot. RJ has a spot if he wants it. But Cassius can have that spot if there’s no movement. We have a week to see how this goes.
Got it. Thanks. I figured it was something along those lines but wasn’t still 100% sure. I feel like if Hampton reclassifies, he won’t be at Duke.

I was going to be slightly worried if you didn’t get the hedge reference being that you’re a hoops fan lmao.

Reactions: dukehokie
I wish he’d stay in 2020 but again If he’s intent on reclassifying than might as well go to duke.
Yea I said it earlier but him and BJ Boston would make a fun backcourt to watch, but it looks like he is dead set on reclassifying

I think it would very difficult to tell a kid who already has the idea of reclassifying that he would be better suited to stay in his current class. Once you hear these rumors I believe the vast majority reclassify.

I believe he knows Coach K will not wait on him. If Hurts signs w Duke next week or Watford signs w Memphis I think he will move up his decision. Would love to have 2 point guards but there will be more minutes for Boogie if Stanley signs w Duke.

Reactions: christophero
Duval had a great 1st half and pretty decent/good 2nd half. Most of his buckets came in transition. He did make a couple great drives but let’s not pretend he was running the half-court set all game and responsible for all of our offense. He’s a talented player in terms of attacking the basket, but he got lucky a couple times against good defense. He’s still a freshman, he still had a 25% turnover rate on the season which is beyond horrific. A couple plays before the final one, he was standing out of bounds and received a pass. That’s just inexcusable. My biggest point is that he is a freshman. You do not give the ball to a freshman on the final play when you have a senior leader of Grayson’s caliber.

You got your wish in OT.
In the final minute or 2 (tie game) he attacked the basket going head-down into a double team and turned it over. With 30ish seconds left we had the ball down 3 and Duval took a 3pt shot and missed. Which led to having to foul Kansas and ultimately losing.

Point is Grayson didn’t give us much of anything that game. He should’ve been a decoy. Bagley or Carter should’ve been involved in the play. Coach K should have drawn up a play in that situation. He’s trying to let freshmen make decisions in a high stakes game. That’s just not smart. Draw up a play and at least attempt to get your best player the ball.

If either sign with Duke then next year’s team is going to have a great ball hounding defense. Ellis, Moore, Jones , Jordan and either Stanley or Hampton will give Duke a great backcourt. Alex and Joey are going to have to get better to get off the bench.
Add Carey, Hurt, Javin, White and hopefully Bolden up front and Duke will have a
solid team.

Alex may transfer out this summer. I don’t know why he would stay if we sign another guard. Hell next year will be almost as bad. Most of our top targets are perimeter guys. Might just be time for Alex to move on to get more playing time unless he just cares about graduating from Duke and not really playing ball after college

I think even if we get RJ or Stanley, Alex is back. For those who follow him on social media, the guy bleeds DUKE.
I'm in the camp of wanting RJ Hampton the most, think he could be a real game changer, but Alex isn't going anywhere.

Guys rarely transfer this late anyway, there would already be real rumblings if so, just my opinion.

Hope you're right. If no one leaves, then I like adding Cassius for depth. I just think we need upperclassmen. Plus he might stay 2 years.

Point is Grayson didn’t give us much of anything that game. He should’ve been a decoy. Bagley or Carter should’ve been involved in the play. Coach K should have drawn up a play in that situation. He’s trying to let freshmen make decisions in a high stakes game. That’s just not smart. Draw up a play and at least attempt to get your best player the ball.

Game should have never gone to OT. Allen hits 4 free throws in 1:30 to give Duke 72-69 lead. Carter air balls one of Bolden’s left handed hooks w 36 seconds to go. All he had to do was drive it to the basket or feed a wide open Bagley. Allen did have a poor shooting game but he had twice the rebounds of Carter, half as many turnovers, 4 times the assists and did not miss a free throw. It was a team effort finding a way to lose . Still cannot believe Duval left the shooter wide open for the trying 3 pointer.

Game should have never gone to OT. Allen hits 4 free throws in 1:30 to give Duke 72-69 lead. Carter air balls one of Bolden’s left handed hooks w 36 seconds to go. All he had to do was drive it to the basket or feed a wide open Bagley. Allen did have a poor shooting game but he had twice the rebounds of Carter, half as many turnovers, 4 times the assists and did not miss a free throw. It was a team effort finding a way to lose . Still cannot believe Duval left the shooter wide open for the trying 3 pointer.

You’re right. We should have never been in zone defense up 3 in the final seconds of a game. It’s pretty easy to get a 3 up against a zone defense. We had only 4 fouls at this point in the game. Why aren’t we playing aggressive defense? We should be playing super aggressive on defense and if they drive don’t help or foul. It’s simple. All of this should’ve been planned out. Then we come back down and hold the ball for 25 seconds just to get a contested midrange shot. Come on now. Coach K is most to blame. He trust in freshmen too much to make decisions in crunch time of NCAA tournament games. Sometimes it may work because they are just talented but you can’t get comfortable with it. They’re still freshmen at the end of the day

Had fouls to give in last game versus Spartans. Could not believe we did not give them.

The more I think about it Hurt and Cassius seem like a good fit. Something about RJ seems like it wouldn't be. I'm sure he's a great player.

I would love to have RJ but I want Jones to lead the team. Either way I think we see a better passing team and not as much one on one . I expect Duke to have more assists and more steals than in years past.

Me personally, I don't want Stanley. Hes athletic, can jump, but to me he is just a highlight reel player. And I do not want another OAD type player to be the factor to push away, one of the multi year players we have. Baker, Alex O, Goldwire, all will improve and IMO will have seasons that will show their strengths, because they will actually we called upon to play, and be needed. And I believe Boogie will be really good, and be fine with spot minuteshis first year, and will be a breakout player for this program in his 2nd and 3rd year... so I'll due without Stanley. RJ would be a great pickup, but to let him control the situation, I can honestly say I will be alright if he didnt come too... let's just get Hurt and start practice already.

Me personally, I don't want Stanley. Hes athletic, can jump, but to me he is just a highlight reel player. And I do not want another OAD type player to be the factor to push away, one of the multi year players we have. Baker, Alex O, Goldwire, all will improve and IMO will have seasons that will show their strengths, because they will actually we called upon to play, and be needed. And I believe Boogie will be really good, and be fine with spot minuteshis first year, and will be a breakout player for this program in his 2nd and 3rd year... so I'll due without Stanley. RJ would be a great pickup, but to let him control the situation, I can honestly say I will be alright if he didnt come too... let's just get Hurt and start practice already.
This.

Do you think Alex is someone that can give you 20+ minutes consistently and be productive?

Do you think Alex is someone that can give you 20+ minutes consistently and be productive?

Definitely not this past season. By next year, I would hope so.

I do. Scrubs don't put 20 on Syracuse.

I wouldn't call Alex a scrub, just like I wouldn't count on him to consistently give me 20 minutes/night. He had one or two really nice games this past season....he had many more where he was a complete non-factor and it wasn't because of no playing time.

Like I said, I wouldn't mind rolling with Alex next year, either....but if I'm being completely honest with myself, I wouldn't be overly confident right now. It takes more than one or two games to make me a believer....and this isn't considering defense.

Both of Alex's game highs were 20 points and 16 points against Syracuse. The 16 point game in Cameron was a joke though, go back and watch the game, he gave up 40 points to Syracuse, literally all Syracuse did was play 1 on 1 with whoever Alex was guarding.
The game in Cuse, without Zion, Alex did step up, probably one of my favorite wins of the year.

The way I see it...if your gonna be the starting SG for Duke. You need to be more than a "zone-buster," which was literally all Alex was this year.

Definitely not this past season. By next year, I would hope so.

If Alex is a starter next year and playing over 20 minutes I don't think that's a good look for the players behind him. I would really be worried. I would rather start Boogie and Tre. Both are defenders and Boogie is an elite shooter. Alex just doesn't have the game to play that many valuable minutes

Thank you for posting this because this is exactly what I mean when I say people are bashing Coach K who do not understand basketball. You couldn’t have made my example more clear with your post. You’re just rattling off a bunch of junk. Not only do you have 0 idea of what you’re talking about, but this is so nonsensical that you contradict yourself.

Bagley was involved in the situation. Carter too. This was a play that we not only ran all year, but we ran it twice in the final 2 minutes (resulting in 2 trips to the line for Grayson.) — I don’t think you have the right to say what’s smart and not smart if you can’t recognize the same play 3 times in 2 minutes.

“Bagley or Carter should have been involved. He’s trying to let freshmen make decisions in a high stake game.” — So you think that 2 freshmen should have been involved but it’s not right for freshmen to make decisions in a high stake game. What??? That doesn’t make sense, but since we’re already discussing your imaginary recollection of events, I have a question. What freshmen made the decision on the final play?

You’re right. We should have never been in zone defense up 3 in the final seconds of a game. It’s pretty easy to get a 3 up against a zone defense. We had only 4 fouls at this point in the game. Why aren’t we playing aggressive defense? We should be playing super aggressive on defense and if they drive don’t help or foul. It’s simple. All of this should’ve been planned out. Then we come back down and hold the ball for 25 seconds just to get a contested midrange shot. Come on now. Coach K is most to blame. He trust in freshmen too much to make decisions in crunch time of NCAA tournament games. Sometimes it may work because they are just talented but you can’t get comfortable with it. They’re still freshmen at the end of the day

Just when I thought you gave me the perfect example, you somehow manage to make my point even more crystal clear. Dude... Did you even watch the game? Wow hahaha

You asked why we weren’t playing aggressive defensive. Did you know that they were virtually wide open because Duval aggressively tried to steal the ball, failed and was put out of position. That was why they had a good look at the 3pt shot that knotted the score.

I can’t believe you said we should play aggressively because we only have 4 fouls then two sentences later follow it up with: “if they drive don’t foul it’s that simple.” Wtf lol.....

Yes we held the ball for 25 seconds because we wanted the very final shot since the shot clock was turned off. What Coach in the history of basketball would suggest leaving time on the clock?

I saved my favorite part for last:
Coach K trusts too much in freshmen says the guy that thought our one and only non-freshman on the dang floor should have been a decoy so that a freshmen (Bagley / Carter) could have taken the last shots.

Jesus take the wheel.

If Alex is a starter next year and playing over 20 minutes I don't think that's a good look for the players behind him. I would really be worried. I would rather start Boogie and Tre. Both are defenders and Boogie is an elite shooter. Alex just doesn't have the game to play that many valuable minutes

Like I said, right now, you're right. But that's completely ignoring the next six months.

The biggest obstacle for Alex to overcome right now is his size. I don't mean height. I mean size. He's just so slender....his body doesn't equate in ACC play for the minutes many of us would like to see. In addition to that, his defense isn't very good, and he doesn't have the kind of skill set that can even out playing him 20 to 25 minutes right now. But, I'm not giving up on him. We know he can score, and that alone adds some value. It's whether or not he can continue to grow, both literally and figuratively.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
Thank you for posting this because this is exactly what I mean when I say people are bashing Coach K who do not understand basketball. You couldn’t have made my example more clear with your post. You’re just rattling off a bunch of junk. Not only do you have 0 idea of what you’re talking about, but this is so nonsensical that you contradict yourself.

Bagley was involved in the situation. Carter too. This was a play that we not only ran all year, but we ran it twice in the final 2 minutes (resulting in 2 trips to the line for Grayson.) — I don’t think you have the right to say what’s smart and not smart if you can’t recognize the same play 3 times in 2 minutes.

“Bagley or Carter should have been involved. He’s trying to let freshmen make decisions in a high stake game.” — So you think that 2 freshmen should have been involved but it’s not right for freshmen to make decisions in a high stake game. What??? That doesn’t make sense, but since we’re already discussing your imaginary recollection of events, I have a question. What freshmen made the decision on the final play?

Just when I thought you gave me the perfect example, you somehow manage to make my point even more crystal clear. Dude... Did you even watch the game? Wow hahaha

You asked why we weren’t playing aggressive defensive. Did you know that they were virtually wide open because Duval aggressively tried to steal the ball, failed and was put out of position. That was why they had a good look at the 3pt shot that knotted the score.

I can’t believe you said we should play aggressively because we only have 4 fouls then two sentences later follow it up with: “if they drive don’t foul it’s that simple.” Wtf lol.....

Yes we held the ball for 25 seconds because we wanted the very final shot since the shot clock was turned off. What Coach in the history of basketball would suggest leaving time on the clock?

Coach K trusts too much in freshmen says the guy that thought our one and only non-freshman on the dang floor should have been a decoy so that a freshmen (Bagley / Carter) could have taken the last shots.

Jesus take the wheel.
Hahaha dude just nod at him. Trust me.

Hahaha dude just nod at him. Trust me.

Lmao he reminds me of this guy I work with that wants to discuss basketball but has no idea what he’s talking about. His sincere analysis one time was (and I quote): “I don’t know man, I think whoever scores the most is going to win.”

At least my co-worker was accurate I guess

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
Lmao he reminds me of this guy I work with that wants to discuss basketball but has no idea what he’s talking about. His sincere analysis one time was (and I quote): “I don’t know man, I think whoever scores the most is going to win.”

I’m trying to learn the “roll your eyes stay quiet” technique here. I get myself in trouble calling out the few here like him lol

Jesus take the wheel.

Lets start the breakdown then... we were in zone defense. which means no one had a man. that left the Kansas player wide open. if we're in man then that guy would've had someone on him. looking back at the play Gary Trent was out of place anyway. He and Duval were damn near in the exact same spot. That's why Duval attempted the steal. Graham went behind the back and Duval figured he could get that steal. If we're manned up Duval wouldn't have even been there to go for the steal because he would be spaced out to #10. We had two timeouts. Why not call timeout before the side out of bounds with 1:15 left and say "this is the plan if they miss and this is the plan if they make the shot". How smart is it to end a close game with 2 timeouts? The GOAT dropped the ball.

Play aggressive defense on the perimeter. Have you ever heard a coach say "don't give up a 3"? That means play aggressive defense but if the ball handler gets by you don't foul him because he only gets 2 points and we're still up 1. Hopefully you get this one

Like I said it was dumb to hold the ball for 25 seconds with no plan but to get a bad contested 2 pointer. We could've called timeout and set a play. We have a young team. Call timeout, calm them down and set up a legitimate play. That's what you call coaching. Hell even coaches with experienced teams call timeout and run a play. Marvin Bagley is our best player. He should've touched the ball at some point in that possession because like you said they were triple teaming him which means someone(s) will be open for a good shot GENIUS

You're right I should've broken it down for you. That's my bad. I ASSUMED it would be easy to catch on to the first time. I gave you too much credit. I take the charge on that one

just because you type long articles that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. an effective speaker/teacher can get his point across with few words. plus there's mpre than one way to skin a cat. Your way isn't the only way. And the @IPSYCHOSIS guy is just a yes man. He goes around just liking other people posts and repeating the same thing someone said above him. And roll his eyes and flip his hair when he doesn't like what you say

Reactions: pisgah101
just because you type long articles that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. an effective speaker/teacher can get his point across with few words. plus there's mpre than one way to skin a cat. Your way isn't the only way. And the @IPSYCHOSIS guy is just a yes man. He goes around just liking other people posts and repeating the same thing someone said above him. And roll his eyes and flip his hair when he doesn't like what you say
You’re a walking contradiction on steroids haha

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT