ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Hampton’s comments

So is RJ Hampton coming to Duke or not. OFC

Doesn't look like it with us going this hard at Stanley unless someone else is leaving. I don't think we have 3 available scholarships. We're losing 3 to the draft and 1 senior. Plus Robinson scholarhip. We've signed 3 and looking to sign Hurt and Stanley

Do you think Alex is someone that can give you 20+ minutes consistently and be productive?
I do think he can. Whenever he plays he does good. Spaces the floor, provides good energy. He just needs to work of defense, if he can improve that, I will take him. He shoots the 3 very well.

Lets start the breakdown then... we were in zone defense. which means no one had a man. that left the Kansas player wide open. if we're in man then that guy would've had someone on him.
slk3tl.jpg

Boeheim would have an aneurysm reading that

looking back at the play Gary Trent was out of place anyway. He and Duval were damn near in the exact same spot. That's why Duval attempted the steal. Graham went behind the back and Duval figured he could get that steal. If we're manned up Duval wouldn't have even been there to go for the steal because he would be spaced out to #10. We had two timeouts.
“I don’t use a traditional 2-3 zone. Jim doesn’t either. We both extend and morph to the way an offense sets ups. Jim has his special way and so do I. Everyone rotates towards pressuring the ball. We trapped well and our great length caused some turnovers. We weren’t a good communicating team and the zone helped us to communicate better.” — Coach K

That explains that Trent Jr. was not out of place according to the system. Or do you know K’s zone defense better than he knows it himself?

Why not call timeout before the side out of bounds with 1:15 left and say "this is the plan if they miss and this is the plan if they make the shot". How smart is it to end a close game with 2 timeouts? The GOAT dropped the ball.
In basketball, coaches and players use code language and hand signals to communicate a play that needs to be ran. Did you know what calling a timeout also gives the defense opportunity to communicate and set-up too?

Watch the final play and look at the players walking up the court and K giving direction.

Play aggressive defense on the perimeter. Have you ever heard a coach say "don't give up a 3"? That means play aggressive defense but if the ball handler gets by you don't foul him because he only gets 2 points and we're still up 1. Hopefully you get this one
Trevon should not have completely committed to going for the steal. That was costly. Like you said yourself earlier “freshmen are still freshmen at the end of the day.” — I’m sure Coach K didn’t suggest he take such a high risk. Not sure why you’d assume that. Hopefully you get that.

Like I said it was dumb to hold the ball for 25 seconds with no plan but to get a bad contested 2 pointer. We could've called timeout and set a play. We have a young team. Call timeout, calm them down and set up a legitimate play. That's what you call coaching. Hell even coaches with experienced teams call timeout and run a play. Marvin Bagley is our best player. He should've touched the ball at some point in that possession because like you said they were triple teaming him which means someone(s) will be open for a good shot GENIUS
2jb8kzs.jpg

Post-Game Coach K above.
Weird... I said that earlier..... It’s almost like I watch Duke basketball and comprehend what’s going on.

You're right I should've broken it down for you. That's my bad. I ASSUMED it would be easy to catch on to the first time. I gave you too much credit. I take the charge on that one

If you want to keep entertaining me at the expense of your dignity, who am I to stop you? I’m cracking up over here, break it down some more... I still don’t get it

just because you type long articles that doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. an effective speaker/teacher can get his point across with few words.
2 months ago I said our offense was stalled / bad shooting / relying on offensive rebounds. I said we needed change. You wrote me back and said that we would never lose a tournament because of our offense. Scoring would never be a problem for this team. You said we don’t need shooting because our offense is good enough. We could shoot horrible from 3pt and beat anyone because we’re the best rebounding team in the country and we get most of those possessions back.

I’m ok with you thinking I don’t know what I’m talking about ;)

And the @IPSYCHOSIS guy is just a yes man. He goes around just liking other people posts and repeating the same thing someone said above him. And roll his eyes and flip his hair when he doesn't like what you say
Cool story.

slk3tl.jpg

Boeheim would have an aneurysm reading that

“I don’t use a traditional 2-3 zone. Jim doesn’t either. We both extend and morph to the way an offense sets ups. Jim has his special way and so do I. Everyone rotates towards pressuring the ball. We trapped well and our great length caused some turnovers. We weren’t a good communicating team and the zone helped us to communicate better.” — Coach K

That explains that Trent Jr. was not out of place according to the system. Or do you know K’s zone defense better than he knows it himself?

In basketball, coaches and players use code language and hand signals to communicate a play that needs to be ran. Did you know what calling a timeout also gives the defense opportunity to communicate and set-up too?

Watch the final play and look at the players walking up the court and K giving direction.

Trevon should not have completely committed to going for the steal. That was costly. Like you said yourself earlier “freshmen are still freshmen at the end of the day.” — I’m sure Coach K didn’t suggest he take such a high risk. Not sure why you’d assume that. Hopefully you get that.

2jb8kzs.jpg

Post-Game Coach K above.
Weird... I said that earlier..... It’s almost like I watch Duke basketball and comprehend what’s going on.

If you want to keep entertaining me at the expense of your dignity, who am I to stop you? I’m cracking up over here, break it down some more... I still don’t get it

2 months ago I said our offense was stalled / bad shooting / relying on offensive rebounds. I said we needed change. You wrote me back and said that we would never lose a tournament because of our offense. Scoring would never be a problem for this team. You said we don’t need shooting because our offense is good enough. We could shoot horrible from 3pt and beat anyone because we’re the best rebounding team in the country and we get most of those possessions back.

I’m ok with you thinking I don’t know what I’m talking about ;)

Cool story.

So pretty much what you do is listen to Coach K interviews and then come back and act like you made a great discovery hahaha. Gotcha. That’s all the proved. You act like nobody noticed our offense stalled and it was harder for us to score because people slowed the game down. It was obvious. Forget all of those hand signals. You have two timeouts. Use it! You’ll get more in overtime if you don’t make the shot. I’ve never seen a 2-3 with 3 players at the top of the key within 2 feet of each other. Such an innovative defense. 2-3 zone defense is pure trash. I don’t care who play it. Playing it periodically throughout a game is cool but making it your primary defense is a recipe for disaster.

So pretty much what you do is listen to Coach K interviews and then come back and act like you made a great discovery hahaha. Gotcha. That’s all the proved. You act like nobody noticed our offense stalled and it was harder for us to score because people slowed the game down. It was obvious. Forget all of those hand signals. You have two timeouts. Use it! You’ll get more in overtime if you don’t make the shot. I’ve never seen a 2-3 with 3 players at the top of the key within 2 feet of each other. Such an innovative defense. 2-3 zone defense is pure trash. I don’t care who play it. Playing it periodically throughout a game is cool but making it your primary defense is a recipe for disaster.
Yep, I listen to most of Coach K’s press conferences after games. Is there something wrong with that? A lot of people on here do too. I searched a couple of them to post because you thought I was full of it. What’s better than facts? “Acting like I made a discovery.” What are you even talking about? Discovery? Tf? Noticing the same play that we’ve ran multiple times is a discovery? You (clearly) don’t pay attention so you’re just slingin’ BS lmao...... Of course everyone noticed our offense stalled in the half-court. It was stalling when we had that conversation. But you knew best, didn’t you? There’s arguments both ways about the time-out thing. Grayson was a centimeter off from you shutting your mouth and having a different perspective.

This is what our zone looked like that play, rotating to the ball and covering everyone.
2pqwck9.jpg

If we ran the zone your “traditional” and correct way, Bagley would be in the center of the court and Grayson would be in Bagley’s spot. Which leaves Newman wide open for 3. He had 30+ points that game. Great coaching correction, you have a brilliant basketball mind.

PS - We saved our season and won a national championship in 2015 using zone defense. That banner we hung is pure trash, huh? Lmao gtfo

Reactions: Showenuff
Yep, I listen to most of Coach K’s press conferences after games. Is there something wrong with that? A lot of people on here do too. I searched a couple of them to post because you thought I was full of it. What’s better than facts? “Acting like I made a discovery.” What are you even talking about? Discovery? Tf? Noticing the same play that we’ve ran multiple times is a discovery? You (clearly) don’t pay attention so you’re just slingin’ BS lmao...... Of course everyone noticed our offense stalled in the half-court. It was stalling when we had that conversation. But you knew best, didn’t you? There’s arguments both ways about the time-out thing. Grayson was a centimeter off from you shutting your mouth and having a different perspective.

This is what our zone looked like that play, rotating to the ball and covering everyone.
2pqwck9.jpg

If we ran the zone your “traditional” and correct way, Bagley would be in the center of the court and Grayson would be in Bagley’s spot. Which leaves Newman wide open for 3. He had 30+ points that game. Great coaching correction, you have a brilliant basketball mind.

PS - We saved our season and won a national championship in 2015 using zone defense. That banner we hung is pure trash, huh? Lmao gtfo

That’s a lie. We did not play zone in the tournament at all unless we were up real big. Go back and watch every game. We got better at man. We really only used zone in that Louisville game because we knew they couldn’t shoot. I don’t know why people keep saying zone saved us. Watch the tape of every NCAAT game and we did not play zone.

My point is you watch press conferences then come here acting like those are your words. You just say what he said in the press conference. You act like you saying we stalled was something you noticed and pointed out. We all noticed it and commented on it. Majority of us just said we will figure out how to score enough to win because of the individual talent. That’s exactly what we did. Against Michigan state we just uncharacteristically turn the ball over and they uncharacteristically didn’t.

Even if he made it it still wouldn’t have been a good play. He just got “lucky” like you say Duval did when he made LAYUPS. Something he practiced doing everyday against taller players or broomsticks. We could’ve gotten a better shot than that. That’s all I’m saying.

You’re looking at still shots of that play. There was no rotation. Gary Trent was acting like it was man and Grayson and Duval were at the top in their zones. They don’t know what defense they were in. And on the last shot we took that was not a play we had run all night. He gave the ball to Grayson and we ran iso. Why? I have no idea. Time out should’ve been called and a play drawn up

@dachampishere2
Ok I’m done arguing because we’re going in circles. I’m tired of repeating myself, I love a good debate but only with knowledgeable fans. You don’t know anything, full of smoke. You’re just twisting things and branching out because you have no valid argument.

You just ended the debate by saying:
“That’s a lie. We did not play zone in the tournament at all unless we were up real big. Go back and watch every game.”
I was at the Final Four in Indianapolis, I saw the zone defense live with my own two eyes. MSU stormed out to an 8pt early lead vs our man defense. We switched to zone, erased deficit forcing like 4 straight turnovers. Gained a 10point advantage and never looked back. We also played zone against Wisconsin in the Championship game last part of the 1st half. In the 2nd half we dabbled with zone a few times to protect foul trouble.

You go watch the tape. You’re 100% wrong. What kind of fan are you? Coming on here bashing K’s strategy senselessly. You don’t even know how we played in the NCAA tournament the year we won a national title. I don’t think you even know the difference between man and zone. How can anyone take you seriously?

That’s just pathetic dude. Learn some basketball before you run your mouth.

Reactions: Showenuff
@dachampishere2
Ok I’m done arguing because we’re going in circles. I’m tired of repeating myself, I love a good debate but only with knowledgeable fans. You don’t know anything, full of smoke. You’re just twisting things and branching out because you have no valid argument.

You just ended the debate by saying:
“That’s a lie. We did not play zone in the tournament at all unless we were up real big. Go back and watch every game.”
I was at the Final Four in Indianapolis, I saw the zone defense live with my own two eyes. MSU stormed out to an 8pt early lead vs our man defense. We switched to zone, erased deficit forcing like 4 straight turnovers. Gained a 10point advantage and never looked back. We also played zone against Wisconsin in the Championship game last part of the 1st half. In the 2nd half we dabbled with zone a few times to protect foul trouble.

You go watch the tape. You’re 100% wrong. What kind of fan are you? Coming on here bashing K’s strategy senselessly. You don’t even know how we played in the NCAA tournament the year we won a national title. I don’t think you even know the difference between man and zone. How can anyone take you seriously?

That’s just pathetic dude. Learn some basketball before you run your mouth.

Wrong. We played primarily man in the tournament. Just because you were at the game that doesn’t mean you know what you were looking at. That’s what you tell me when I say I watch the game. You do a lot of talking to try to drown someone out to make it seem like your knowledgeable. You’re not.

Wrong. We played primarily man in the tournament. Just because you were at the game that doesn’t mean you know what you were looking at. That’s what you tell me when I say I watch the game. You do a lot of talking to try to drown someone out to make it seem like your knowledgeable. You’re not.
More knowledgeable than you by a landslide lol :)

Can we get a breakdown on why we lost to LSU in 2006? We couldn't even get out of the 50's in that game and I want to know how RJ Hampton is going to change that.

While we're at it. Lets do the 1993 Cal game. I wear my "I still hate Jason Kid" T-shirt daily. I want to know how RJ Hampton is going to change that too.

Could you imagine having an internet message board after a year like 1993? Holy hell there would be so many bickering losers. I bet that 6 out of 7 FF's and championships the previous two years would have been completely forgotten by some of the people who post here.

I'm good. Tre, Boogie and Goldwire works for me.

Same here. Boogie can score. He's got quickness and a nice shot (he reminds me of the Auburn guards).

I think if we keep over-recruiting too many OADs we lose the opportunity to develop players coming in (and that veteran development of at least 2-3 players is huge to being able to win a title).

Tre should shoot better and I think with Boogie, perhaps Baker, but also there will be improvement with O'Connell and White.

Reactions: christophero

I didn’t say we played only zone the whole tournament. I agree that we played a little more man than zone, but that’s not what you said. You said we never played zone in the tournament unless we were up big. That’s not true. Now you’re changing your story because you’re wrong. First you twisted my words in attempt to validate yourself, now you’re changing your own words to do it.

Can we get a breakdown on why we lost to LSU in 2006? We couldn't even get out of the 50's in that game and I want to know how RJ Hampton is going to change that.

While we're at it. Lets do the 1993 Cal game. I wear my "I still hate Jason Kid" T-shirt daily. I want to know how RJ Hampton is going to change that too.

Could you imagine having an internet message board after a year like 1993? Holy hell there would be so many bickering losers. I bet that 6 out of 7 FF's and championships the previous two years would have been completely forgotten by some of the people who post here.

Hahah... I ain’t trying to discuss the X’s and O’s of why we lost. He just bashed K’s coaching decisions with substance that makes zero sense so I chimed in to correct him. I guess it spiraled out of control.

Hahah... I ain’t trying to discuss the X’s and O’s of why we lost. He just bashed K’s coaching decisions with substance that makes zero sense so I chimed in to correct him. I guess it spiraled out of control.

You can’t correct me. I said what I said. We should’ve called timeout on the last possession and got a better shot by putting the ball in our best player’s hands. That’s two years in a row our best player hasn’t taking a shot in the last 2 minutes of a game. That’s unacceptable. And we didn’t win in 2015 because of zone. We became a really good man to man defense in the tournament. Against Wisconsin we did a lot of 1-5 switching. Again you don’t breakdown anything. You just listen to Coach K press conference and say what he says. Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you quote the guy

Same here. Boogie can score. He's got quickness and a nice shot (he reminds me of the Auburn guards).

I think if we keep over-recruiting too many OADs we lose the opportunity to develop players coming in (and that veteran development of at least 2-3 players is huge to being able to win a title).

Tre should shoot better and I think with Boogie, perhaps Baker, but also there will be improvement with O'Connell and White.

Stanley, Hurt and Moore aren’t sure fire OAD candidates. They’re more in the possible range. This high school class is pretty slim when it comes to high impact talent. I’d bet by season’s end, those guys will be in hard decision mode, not sitting courtside with Klutch Sports mode.

Reactions: christophero
You can’t correct me. I said what I said. We should’ve called timeout on the last possession and got a better shot by putting the ball in our best player’s hands. That’s two years in a row our best player hasn’t taking a shot in the last 2 minutes of a game. That’s unacceptable. And we didn’t win in 2015 because of zone. We became a really good man to man defense in the tournament. Against Wisconsin we did a lot of 1-5 switching. Again you don’t breakdown anything. You just listen to Coach K press conference and say what he says. Nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you quote the guy

I feel like I’m arguing with a woman, no matter what I say you will twist it to your advantage. Then change your own words to win the argument. So I’ll treat you just like I treat my girl - “Ok you’re right, I’m sorry.”

Have a nice day continuously beating off to the illusion that my opinions are purely press conference based.

I feel like I’m arguing with a woman, no matter what I say you will twist it to your advantage. Then change your own words to win the argument. So I’ll treat you just like I treat my girl - “Ok you’re right, I’m sorry.”

Have a nice day continuously beating off to the illusion that my opinions are purely press conference based.

Purely press conference. Women get upset when someone has a different opinion than them. Like you. This should’ve been a two message response. Don’t agree then don’t reply. It’s easy.

Are you guys gonna be arguing on the bench when you step in after K retires? That would be s bad look haha.

He’ll be the head coach because he knows the recipe to success unlike Coach K and I’ll be the water boy because I stand behind K’s losing mentality.

.... don’t worry though, I promise to be a great backseat driver.

Reactions: QC Dukie
I thought this thread was supposed to be about RJ Hampton and his comments? Wtf are some of you arguing and bitching about the 2017-18 season?

Be hard to imagine him coming if he reclassified. Have to hope he’s staying in 2020 but tweets like that clearly suggest he’s moving it up.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT