ADVERTISEMENT

RJ Hampton’s comments

Would rather have him next year. If he is dead set on reclassification then bring him on. Someone will be left out if he comes and I’m thinking it would be boogie. Which sucks as I really like his game.

Do we need him?

He’d be very helpful. Shooter, slasher, defender with length. He shores up what is a potential weak spot for this team which is the 2 spot.

That said, he’d be just as helpful in 2020 with Jeremy Roach.

I’d take him. But at the same time i want boogie playing. Most places it wouldn’t even be a problem. Boogie would be one of the first people off the bench but with K you just never know. Wonder how he’d feel about 10-15 minutes his first year

Reactions: Dukie_4_life
they look very similar on paper - Hampton just a bit taller right now. So either with Tre is a great pairing.

Just saw he was 42% from 3. I want him now lol

If Alex can take some strides toward maturity this summer, I’d rather RJ stay in his class and come up next season.

The reclass guys have it rough. Barrett was an anomaly. Still can’t believe we were supposed to have him this coming season.

Reactions: dbav
If Alex can take some strides toward maturity this summer, I’d rather RJ stay in his class and come up next season.

The reclass guys have it rough. Barrett was an anomaly. Still can’t believe we were supposed to have him this coming season.

I agree what’s boogies numbers look like? And do we believe he’ll get burn?

He’ll play. I don’t pay much attention to high school stats, cause things change so much, but he’s a really capable scorer and already is at the very least as strong as AOC. Still pretty slight.

He won’t be as much of a slasher in his first year, but he’ll stretch the floor. He scored 50 and in the 40’s a few times this season on a good team.

Reactions: pisgah101
I’d love to have him and it could potentially make our squad even deeper. But when k is the coach you have to worry about transfers when we have this many people expecting to play.

Reactions: youngman42
LOL WHUT. If we add RJ and Hurt to this class I will legitimately cry tears of joy. It could be glorious.

I’d rather have RJ in 2020 for program continuity, but in the era of win now, he makes it easier to think title for Duke next season.

Not if Hampton reclasses and winds up at Duke. His dad is also not shy talking about his son.

Boogie would get minutes Hampton or not.

Goldwire and AOC would be the ones looking for scraps.

Bagley was also a reclass.

Bagley was also a reclass.

Yep. Also an anomaly. Imagine him with Zion and RJ. Good lord. He actually probably would’ve been a better defender because the defense Duke played was infectious.

Yep. Also an anomaly. Imagine him with Zion and RJ. Good lord. He actually probably would’ve been a better defender because the defense Duke played was infectious.

I read that was the original plan... Jones, Reddish, Williamson, Barrett, and Bagley.

That would've been obscene.

Reactions: Quavarius
I read that was the original plan... Jones, Reddish, Williamson, Barrett, and Bagley.

That would've been obscene.

It was. And then some things changed with what was needed in that 17-18 season in terms of depth and the Bagley family initiated the reclass. They were coming to college early regardless of where it was. K didn’t want to pass up coaching Marvin and the rest is history.

Reactions: Quavarius
How was that the plan when Zion was in question so long? Just curious to know

Zion was hosted at CTC as a junior. He was very much a part of Duke’s plans for this class long before he committed.

Would rather have him next year. If he is dead set on reclassification then bring him on. Someone will be left out if he comes and I’m thinking it would be boogie. Which sucks as I really like his game.

Have him for what? That team isn’t set with an elite defensive pg who’s experienced or an elite center. We could use a scorer, and quite honestly I’m not exactly betting that O’Connell or white will develop into something consistent. Boogie was never a type of player that comes in and starts right away. If Hampton comes, I can see Alex, jack or baker transfer. I’m even wondering if Marques comes back. Our bench needs more burn to develop but if Hampton comes I’m not sure if that even happens

I’d rather have RJ in 2020 for program continuity, but in the era of win now, he makes it easier to think title for Duke next season.

Yeah but Tre most likely will leave after next year and like you said up-thread, always great to pair two strong ball handlers. Plus, we already know the post will be strong for us next year. The biggest question mark is at the 2 and RJ would be a perfect fit. And there's still other good SG's in 2020 including BJ Boston.

This year’s roster might of had the greatest player, but we learned this year more than ever that it takes more than 1 to tango.

Imagine using Virginia’s blocker-mover offense with next year’s lineup if we are lucky enough to snag Matt Hurt and this guy. We could seriously be looking at one of the best Duke teams in history. Getting both of these guys is not just a possibility but a high percentage possibility. I know one thing, if we snag these kids there will be no excuse for stalled half-court offense next year.

Yeah but Tre most likely will leave after next year and like you said up-thread, always great to pair two strong ball handlers. Plus, we already know the post will be strong for us next year. The biggest question mark is at the 2 and RJ would be a perfect fit. And there's still other good SG's in 2020 including BJ Boston.

I agree with that no doubt.

RJ makes us better this season, I just think with the 2 guards coming up in 2020, he’d make that team better than he would this one if that makes sense. The 2 spot will be the weakest spot this year and next. But which team needs it more is where my evaluation would lie. And from the outside, it looks like 2020 could use his services more.

This year’s roster might of had the greatest player, but we learned this year more than ever that it takes more than 1 to tango.

Imagine using Virginia’s blocker-mover offense with next year’s lineup if we are lucky enough to snag Matt Hurt and this guy. We could seriously be looking at one of the best Duke teams in history. Getting both of these guys is not just a possibility but a high percentage possibility. I know one thing, if we snag these kids there will be no excuse for stalled half-court offense next year.

K employed his own version of blocker-mover in the past. As recently as the 13-14 Jabari squad and all throughout the 2000’s. I hope he goes a version of that again. It worked well and it would showcase Tre especially.

Reactions: BeerPoisoning
K employed his own version of blocker-mover in the past. As recently as the 13-14 Jabari squad and all throughout the 2000’s. I hope he goes a version of that again. It worked well and it would showcase Tre especially.

The past 2 years our offense has been too simplified by our players. Which is why I partially defend Coach K’s strategy this season. I don’t think it was a bad offensive style for this team, but poor choreography. Like against MSU when we bolted out to a 30-18 lead, boy did we look alive in the half-court. Mostly seems as if the squads last year and this year just weren’t executing. We had our own variation of blocker motion in ‘06 too with JJ as our screening center-piece.

Tre, Hampton, Moore, Hurt, Carey lineup would be filthy good lookin’ with a wide set blocker-mover offense. We’d be virtually be un-scoutable because of the offensive variety this set would provide especially with flare screens. Everything from pick and roll, to pick and pop, back-cuts, penetration leading to baseline screens for wrap around cuts. Imagine a guy like Matt Hurt setting a back screen for Moore and popping out. With Carey setting a delayed off-ball screen and cut for Hampton on the other side of the court. Ball is in Tre’s hands with endless options. Best thing about the wide set is that it’s loosely scripted and screening / cutting / popping choices are freestyle options based on defender reaction.

It’s fun to dream.

So is there a chance we get RJ Hampton, Hurt AND Watford on next year’s squad?

I may have it added up wrong in my head but I believe we only have 2 available scholarships after accounting for returning players and current committed recruits.

Reactions: dukehokie

Boogie absolutely will be in the rotation. I can't find his HS Stats, but here are his AAU stats from last summer (EYBL/Peach Jam):

23 games
17.2 ppg
4.5 reb
2.1 ast
1.1 stl
0.3 blk
1.2 turnovers
44.6% fg (125 for 280)
45.8% 3-pt (66 for 144)
80.4% ft (80 for 97)

The shooting percentages, especially from three, are the most encouraging.

Reactions: youngman42
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT