ADVERTISEMENT

Remembering the 2009-2010 season.

skysdad

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 3, 2006
One of my favorite to be honest about it. Had a solid team but at the time wasn't sure we had the team to win it all. Things just came together. Had some young talent but some great vets that took up roles to take us all the way. Scheyer, Thomas, Big Z , Nolan and Kyle plus Dawkins MP1, MP2 and Kelly were part of it. It just jelled didn't it. I think it was the most surprising natty we have won. I remember unc winning it all in 2009 and how cocky their fans became after that win. The thr regulars posters here started changing then and after our 2010 natty their countenance changed and what had been somewhat civil discussions was gone forever. Talking about a melt down season for thr. As far as unc' season went they couldn't even win the nitty although the rafters in the dean dome has a 2nd place banner hanging high. Maybe history repeats itself this year. OFC

One of my favorite to be honest about it. Had a solid team but at the time wasn't sure we had the team to win it all. Things just came together. Had some young talent but some great vets that took up roles to take us all the way. Scheyer, Thomas, Big Z , Nolan and Kyle plus Dawkins MP1, MP2 and Kelly were part of it. It just jelled didn't it. I think it was the most surprising natty we have won. I remember unc winning it all in 2009 and how cocky their fans became after that win. The thr regulars posters here started changing then and after our 2010 natty their countenance changed and what had been somewhat civil discussions was gone forever. Talking about a melt down season for thr. As far as unc' season went they couldn't even win the nitty although the rafters in the dean dome has a 2nd place banner hanging high. Maybe history repeats itself this year. OFC
That was an amazing season. I'll never forget that season! That season showed u don't need NBA talent to win a Natty! U just need five guys with heart, courage, communication, determination, and the wil to win!

My daughters freshman year at Duke and my introduction to basketball really (I am from the U.K.). Very special to me. I have been a fanatic ever since!!

I sincerely hope for this. Coach K must be hungry for it. He's not just doing this for fun, he's on a mission.

I certainly agree. Its gotta be tough on him after all the preseason hype last year. I think he cannot wait to get started! OFC

Man those boys wanted it. They had gone through 3 years of hell that made them ready for this season.

Getting whipped by UNC
Early knockouts
Embarrassing losses
And so on.

It built them into something that would not be denied that year.

Btw, hang # 12.

Reactions: Quavarius
That was an amazing season. I'll never forget that season! That season showed u don't need NBA talent to win a Natty! U just need five guys with heart, courage, communication, determination, and the wil to win!

You had NBA talent and plenty of it. 4 of those players will collect a nice NBA pension and make good money for the next 5 to 10 years, Lance, Miles, Mason and Kyle. Great role players who have become great professionals. You may be able to add Kelly since the league operates off a stretch 4!

You had NBA talent and plenty of it. 4 of those players will collect a nice NBA pension and make good money for the next 5 to 10 years, Lance, Miles, Mason and Kyle. Great role players who have become great professionals. You may be able to add Kelly since the league operates off a stretch 4!
Correct! My apologies. I should have been more clear. Miles and Mason were low end round one draft picks and Singler went in round two. That season proved you didn't need one and dones, or a bunch of high end draft picks(top ten picks) to win a national championship.

Last edited:
7 of the 9 guys played in the NBA. Dawkins even got in a few games. Zoubek was on the Nets Pre-Season roster in October - and Scheyer was 2nd Team All-American. All the guys were pretty solid.

The most unexpected of our national title teams. Gerald and Elliot were gone, we were "alarmingly unathletic," Scheyer wasn't a true point guard, and Zoubek was the center. Yet somehow this team rolled through the season with only a few bad games, played great team ball on offense and killed teams on defense. They were greater than the sum of their parts, and destroyed unc in embarrassing fashion for the heels, who ran to the NIT with their tails between their legs. Kentucky was unbeatable, but we pasted the team that beat them. Probably would have cheered for Butler if we weren't playing them; what a great game between two quality teams...

All in all, probably my favorite title team.

That season was really the definition of what K always talks about when he says a team becomes a fist. Everyone checked their egos at the door and came together to do something special. What I always remember most is what Jon Scheyer said at the senior dinner prior to the NCAAT that season. Coach K goes around and asks each senior to talk about their best memory of their four years at Duke. Jon's response was priceless, when he said, "it hasn't happened yet." Still gets me every time. That team didn't run a race....they ran a marathon with obstacles for four years.

If it were not for that injury Jon would be in the league holding his own. Jon's IQ is off the charts, during the run he showed great leadership, ball handling, and decision making at the point. Jon is one of my all time favorite players, will be a great head coach one day.

I'm from WV. All I heard here was how They were going to beat Duke just like 2008. I've never never a more cocky team after they beat UK the week before. Whipping them by nearly 20 points in the Final Four will always be one of the most satisfying Duke wins!

Love this team. What changed that team's fortunes in my mind were Zoubek finally playing out of his mind and Lance starting to kick out the offensive rebounds to the 3 point shooters. What a great team and season that was!

Reactions: hart2chesson
The most unexpected of our national title teams. Gerald and Elliot were gone, we were "alarmingly unathletic," Scheyer wasn't a true point guard, and Zoubek was the center. Yet somehow this team rolled through the season with only a few bad games, played great team ball on offense and killed teams on defense. They were greater than the sum of their parts, and destroyed unc in embarrassing fashion for the heels, who ran to the NIT with their tails between their legs. Kentucky was unbeatable, but we pasted the team that beat them. Probably would have cheered for Butler if we weren't playing them; what a great game between two quality teams...

Great coached teams. OFC

Zoubek got a lot of crap for three years, almost four, but honestly he was never fully healthy until his senior year. Don't forget, it wasn't hansbrough that killed us, it was lawson for the couple of years before that.

Most gratifying for me. It wasn't too long after unc won the 2009 natty and Henderson and both Williams said they were gone when a tar heel fan stuck his head in my office door and told me "Duke's gonna suck this year." Well Duke sucked up a national title and unc sucked up a runner up nitty banner. OFC

Most gratifying for me. It wasn't too long after unc won the 2009 natty and Henderson and both Williams said they were gone when a tar heel fan stuck his head in my office door and told me "Duke's gonna suck this year." Well Duke sucked up a national title and unc sucked up a runner up nitty banner. OFC

Pal thats LIVING!!! OFC

Reactions: skysdad
Love this team. Anyone know where to find the full game? Had it on my DVR for a while, but it crashed a few years ago and I lost it :(

One of my favorite things about that team was Scheyer's start to the season. He had something like 26 straight assists before committing a turnover, and then proceeded to only commit 65 turnovers to 194 assists on the season. 3:1 ratio. That was beautiful to see.

The UConn game stood out as well, because they were just supposed to run us out of the gym. No such luck.

One of my favorite things about that team was Scheyer's start to the season. He had something like 26 straight assists before committing a turnover, and then proceeded to only commit 65 turnovers to 194 assists on the season. 3:1 ratio. That was beautiful to see.

The UConn game stood out as well, because they were just supposed to run us out of the gym. No such luck.
I also remember how Coach K talked about limiting Smith, Scheyer, and Singler during practice and as far as games were they purposely used some of shot clock to keep possessions down. Underrated team and one of K's best seasons as coach

Reactions: dukehokie
I also remember how Coach K talked about limiting Smith, Scheyer, and Singler during practice and as far as games were they purposely used some of shot clock to keep possessions down. Underrated team and one of K's best seasons as coach

Having 4 bigs and Ryan Kelly was so crucial. They got a lot of individual work in practice which paid off. I remember the start of the season people begging for the Plumlees to start together and Lance and Zoubs spelling them off the bench.

Plumlee Bros. Dunking Company!!

Reactions: Mac9192

I love Juniors and seniors!!!!

I love Juniors and seniors!!!!

Me too and kind of get irritated when they receive unwarranted criticism. They are giving us 3 and 4 years and for the most part the reason they are there 3 to 4 years is because they became backups or role players because of the great and better younger talent that comes in each year. They could have transferred to get more playing time out but they stick it out and just about most of the time when we are really successful such as winning natty's they play a big role in it. OFC

2010 was a great year for me. Duke wins the championship, new job, got married, and found out my wife was expecting our first kid. In no particular order of course :)

This team was the first Duke team I had ever seen live after being a Duke fan for 20 years. I went to the sweet 16 and Elite 8 games in Houston. Felt like the only Duke fan there where I was sitting (tons of Baylor fans). Lost my voice too. In fact, my profile picture is of the Baylor game. I took tons of pictures of Duke cutting down the nets.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT