ADVERTISEMENT

Real Quick, starting 5

Duke Blu

All Conference
Nov 7, 2017
Hey guys not meant to be some long drawn out thread. I am just genuinely curious what many of you see as the starting 5 we settle into, once Whitehead and Lively are playing at 100% including conditioning. I dont think either are quite there yet. It appears Lively has already supplanted Young as expected. Who is the odd man out once Whitehead is back to himself.

I am thinking Filipowski has been a pleasant surprise and to some degree Mark Mitchell too. Proctor was struggling but appears to be coming along.

Roach
Proctor
Whitehead
Filipowski
Lively
————————-
Mitchell

Is what i am thinking

Hey guys not meant to be some long drawn out thread. I am just genuinely curious what many of you see as the starting 5 we settle into, once Whitehead and Lively are playing at 100% including conditioning. I dont think either are quite there yet. It appears Lively has already supplanted Young as expected. Who is the odd man out once Whitehead is back to himself.

I am thinking Filipowski has been a pleasant surprise and to some degree Mark Mitchell too. Proctor was struggling but appears to be coming along.

Roach
Proctor
Whitehead
Filipowski
Lively
————————-
Mitchell

Is what i am thinking
Could very well be. OFC

Roach
Proctor
Whitehead
Filipowski
Lively
————————-
Mitchell

Is what i am thinking
I think that’s right. And Mitchell would be a super 6th man for us. Blake’s really showing he’s got a place in the rotation too so 9 is right for this team.

Seems like we rarely had a rotation of 9 late in the season under K. Yall think Jon departs from that model or am i having false memories

Seems like we rarely had a rotation of 9 late in the season under K. Yall think Jon departs from that model or am i having false memories
So to me it’s a false equivalency thing more than a memory lapse. Very few coaches have rotations more than 7-8 guys. But for some reason fans get it in their head that every other program does. There are a lot of minuses to having a huge rotation. Many times it means that you just don’t have any studs, and everyone is about the same. Sometimes it means that you’re just that talented. For us, it falls closer to the former this season.

I agree with all line ups mentioned . Think Proctor and Flip are finding their groove , Whitehead and Lively just need to get healthy and back up to speed . Mitchell is an excellent sixth man and him , Blakes, Grandison and Young coming off the bench is not bad .

Reactions: jamsession3
Is it crazy if me to say roach goes to the bench eventually as 6th man?? I just think proctor will be better…..
I was just thinking this when considering my line up. But only if Roach doesn't improve his play. Obviously he would still get minutes. I do think, based on what we have seen, that he should not play more than 30 minutes. Blakes can get minutes, and Proctor is more of a PG. It's early, and Roach will probably play better, but he looks a bit like early season Roach from last year so far.

Reactions: pisgah101
Lively and Dariq still not 100% certainly plays a role for the next week or two. By the time December rolls around...Roach, Proctor, Dariq, Flip, Lively with Mitchell getting starter type of minutes.

It's certainly a small sample, with only one game so far against top talent, but I wonder if Roach is feeling too much pressure to be the floor leader and captain? Maybe as our freshman settle into their roles, IE: Proctor recently, he will feel less pressure to be the go to guy. Either way, I see Roach starting every game this year barring injury.

K always had a sweet spot of his upperclassmen, see Matt Jones for example. It will be interesting to see how Jon handles these sorts of things.

Reactions: christophero
Roach will be okay. Like I said before, he's not the type of player to take over a game. He hit some big shots in the tournament and played great, but he's more of a complimentary piece. He kind of took teams by surprise last year. Proctor and Whitehead emerging should help with this.

I think Mitchell goes to the bench, just makes the lineup fit better. I do think Mitchell is 1 of our 5 best players, but it’s all about making the pieces fit.
If Mitchell does come off the bench, than he has to be the best player to come off the bench for Duke in quite some time. He brings more to the table than Keels did off the bench last year. And most years recently, had to cross your fingers and say a prayer when any bench guys played.

I think Mitchell should start until Whitehead surpasses him. They are both 5 stars.
I agree in a vacuum at this day right now. However, if Whitehead never does get to 100% and reaches his ceiling which would be surpassing Mitchell, then it doesn’t matter because this team won’t be making the final four.

Reactions: christophero
Nice article in USA Today about Blakes, bucking the trend of being one and done at Duke. Sounds like he worked out with a trainer and put in a lot of work during the summer. Good for him. He's they guy I wanted Henry Coleman to be, at least for Duke.

Last edited:
Nice article in USA Today about Blakes, bucking the trend of being one and done at Duke. Sounds like he worked out with a trainer and put in a lot of work during the summer. Good for him. He's they guy I wanted Henry Coleman to be, at least for Duke.
His improvement has been so refreshing. He's only a sophomore, but I catch myself in the moment thinking he's an upperclassmen. Him staying all 4 years is high on my Christmas list.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT