ADVERTISEMENT

R.J. Barrett's been working on his 3

He said he was a little sore after the game,first time playing against grown men,they played again yesterday.R.J. has 21 points...Florida 4 star recruit Andrew Nembhard had 18 points as well

Reactions: Quavarius
I have said it before, but great move working with Drew Hanlen. Guy was a gym rat in HS, a great shooter, and now he is a sought after shooting coach/trainer. Would love to see Zion, Cam, Tre and others enlist his services. Duke will run a 4 around 1 and at times no true post, so they need to be able to knock down the perimeter shots!

Who should we compare him to, to make @Mac9192 angry? ;) I kid. I kid.

He’s seriously going to live at the free throw line in college. He has something a lot of guys in college (forget his age group) don’t have. He is straight up poised.

Watch when he attacks. It never looks difficult, or hurried or forced. Don’t let the smoothness fool you. What he’s doing isn’t because of lack of competition or superior athletic ability. He has an innate court sense that most people can only dream of.

Some of our greats had an “it”. Jason Williams had his intensity. Christian had his fire and talent. Bobby was smarter than everyone else. Kyrie could finish from anywhere. Shane was a textbook leader. RJ is going to look like a pro among college players, because he has poise beyond belief. I can’t wait.

***Edit***Barring injury of course.

China losses to every team they play just about, they are as good as a rank d H.S team. RJ still has a good amount of work to do on his jumper, struggled with it today Vs the Dom Republic team but still dropped 14 because he’s almost unstoppable in the open court and moves well in the half court Vs man to man. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t drop 20 a game this upcoming year unless everyvtwam plays zone

China losses to every team they play just about, they are as good as a rank d H.S team. RJ still has a good amount of work to do on his jumper, struggled with it today Vs the Dom Republic team but still dropped 14 because he’s almost unstoppable in the open court and moves well in the half court Vs man to man. I’d be shocked if he doesn’t drop 20 a game this upcoming year unless everyvtwam plays zone

But if he went to UK, he’d have Malik Monk like accuracy right?

Who should we compare him to, to make @Mac9192 angry? ;) I kid. I kid.

He’s seriously going to live at the free throw line in college. He has something a lot of guys in college (forget his age group) don’t have. He is straight up poised.

Watch when he attacks. It never looks difficult, or hurried or forced. Don’t let the smoothness fool you. What he’s doing isn’t because of lack of competition or superior athletic ability. He has an innate court sense that most people can only dream of.

Some of our greats had an “it”. Jason Williams had his intensity. Christian had his fire and talent. Bobby was smarter than everyone else. Kyrie could finish from anywhere. Shane was a textbook leader. RJ is going to look like a pro among college players, because he has poise beyond belief. I can’t wait.

***Edit***Barring injury of course.
You're alright Hokie. I have no doubt, from everyone that's seen Barrett play, that he will be special.
My only hope is by April we're comparing this team to one of our many great ones before them, and not just where each individual will be drafted, and by which team.

As Hokie hit on, he's going to build a house at the free throw line. He's very good at drawing a foul, and the most exciting part about it is the amount of rage UNC is going to feel when he fouls half their team out at the Dumb dome. There will be monumental complaints. This kid is so great at attacking.

As Hokie hit on, he's going to build a house at the free throw line. He's very good at drawing a foul, and the most exciting part about it is the amount of rage UNC is going to feel when he fouls half their team out at the Dumb dome. There will be monumental complaints. This kid is so great at attacking.
We will be flooded with the cliche box score readers that tell you how the game went when they see the FTAs.

Reactions: dukehokie
You're alright Hokie. I have no doubt, from everyone that's seen Barrett play, that he will be special.
My only hope is by April we're comparing this team to one of our many great ones before them, and not just where each individual will be drafted, and by which team.

That’s the hope. This team has to gain an identity. The very best Duke teams had a distinguishable identity that they could rely on.

1991 & 1992 - Ball Movement and turnover creation

2001 - Spread the floor & turnover creation

2010 - Rebounding, shot efficiency & slow pace for defensive stops

2015 - Inside out offensive spread & good defense eventually

Not saying our other teams didn’t have identities, but some of our past squads would score 90 one day and score 60 the next. Allow 95 points to Vermont, but hold Wake to 60.

You can see when a team is going to struggle because it doesn’t seem like they have something to lean on, on both sides of the ball. As good as last year was, outside of Marvin, the offense was different every game and we couldn’t decide on a D to save our lives. That’s all hindsight, but still as it’s happening you can tell something is off. I really want this squad to maintain an identity.

Nope, that’s dumb fan logic like saying so and so is underranked just because he comes to the school you like or overrated because he goes to a rival. I don’t use dumb fan logic I use facts and my eyes. Example is how some UK fans loved Zion before he committed then after he is no longer that good just a dunker. My opinion stayed the same that he is very skilled, quick, good passer and will punish guys in college and beyond. Another dumb fan logic was some Duke fans saying how Julius Randle was good before he picked a college but once he did he was undersized, wouldn’t be able to do the same things in college and was overrated.

What ever I thought about a player before he picked a college is the same I thought after they picked a college. Only players that I may overrate at times due to biasness are those who commit to Maryland :)

But if he went to UK, he’d have Malik Monk like accuracy right?

Nope, that’s dumb fan logic like saying so and so is underranked just because he comes to the school you like or overrated because he goes to a rival. I don’t use dumb fan logic I use facts and my eyes. Example is how some UK fans loved Zion before he committed then after he is no longer that good just a dunker. My opinion stayed the same that he is very skilled, quick, good passer and will punish guys in college and beyond. Another dumb fan logic was some Duke fans saying how Julius Randle was good before he picked a college but once he did he was undersized, wouldn’t be able to do the same things in college and was overrated.

What ever I thought about a player before he picked a college is the same I thought after they picked a college. Only players that I may overrate at times due to biasness are those who commit to Maryland :)

Good post.

I’m not sure what Duke fans you talked to about Julius though. Dude was a man in college. Plus, Duke is the land of undersized bigs.

Bro I am big cat fan, got to be honest Barrett is a stud, He will have bigger impact then even Bagley.

Bro, I always give Jakarii a hard time.

But to say he’ll have a bigger impact than maybe the best freshman we’ve ever had is tough to sign in one without him playing a game. The potential for a good season is high though.

He’s just one example there are many more of Duke, UK, Kansas fans all of a sudden saying a player isn’t good when they pick or are rumored to be leaning towards a rival school

Good post.

I’m not sure what Duke fans you talked to about Julius though. Dude was a man in college. Plus, Duke is the land of undersized bigs.

He’s just one example there are many more of Duke, UK, Kansas fans all of a sudden saying a player isn’t good when they pick or are rumored to be leaning towards a rival school

Very true.

That’s the hope. This team has to gain an identity. The very best Duke teams had a distinguishable identity that they could rely on.

1991 & 1992 - Ball Movement and turnover creation

2001 - Spread the floor & turnover creation

2010 - Rebounding, shot efficiency & slow pace for defensive stops

2015 - Inside out offensive spread & good defense eventually

Not saying our other teams didn’t have identifies, but some of or past squads would score 90 one day and score 60 the next. Allow 95 points to Vermont, but hold Wake to 60.

You can see when a team is going to struggle because it doesn’t seem like they have something to lean on, on both sides of the ball. As good as last year was, outside of Marvin, the offense was different every game and we couldn’t decide on a D to save our lives. That’s all hindsight, but still as it’s happening you can tell something is off. I really want this squad to maintain an identity.
I wish I could remember like you....lol 2015 is pretty clear; but other then that . I got 2010 Jon? And Butler? 2001 Is shady. And 91 I was born ....sucks...been a Duke fan all my life and remember crying after every loss, but my memory is really cloudy now:( Literally would cry like a baby (into my teens) lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: dukehokie
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT