ADVERTISEMENT

Quit the Comparisons - Zion Article

This story is very well done. It isn't saying that Zion is the best player in X number of years. Just that he's unique in a way that RJ and Cam aren't.

Reactions: OldasdirtDevil
I like the article that compared Zion to William Perry (The Refrigerator).
The Fridge was 6'3 330 pounds and could dunk a basketball. I read some where that for every inch of height, you could add 10 pounds to a person's frame. That means if you took Perry's height 6'3, (4 inches shorter than Zion) that would be 40 pounds. That means if Zion was 6'3 you could add 40 pounds to his weight and he would be 325, about like the Fridge. I'm trying to make sense out of all this. Lol

Great article. It's fun to make comparisons so we can gauge how someone might fare with a particular team - or what sort of trajectory they might have in the pro game. But his size and athleticism are something we've never seen before. He's a special player and I'm glad to have him for his one year of college.

I actually got Mike DeCourcy to respond to an e-mail of mine back in the fall of 1998. I gave him flak for dropping Duke too far in his top 25 poll after they lost to Cincinnati in the Alaskian Shooutout (I think he may have written an article about it?). He was insistent on putting several of the undefeated teams ahead of Duke in his poll. I'd say he was probably wrong on his assessment, but I appreciate his willingness to at least engage me on that subject.

I like the article that compared Zion to William Perry (The Refrigerator).
The Fridge was 6'3 330 pounds and could dunk a basketball. I read some where that for every inch of height, you could add 10 pounds to a person's frame. That means if you took Perry's height 6'3, (4 inches shorter than Zion) that would be 40 pounds. That means if Zion was 6'3 you could add 40 pounds to his weight and he would be 325, about like the Fridge. I'm trying to make sense out of all this. Lol
I could be wrong but it seems like it should be the opposite. Meaning you add 10 pounds for inch of added height, so with William Perry being 6’3 and 330 pounds, if he was 4 inches taller at 6’7 you’d add 10 pounds per inch, so at 4 inches taller you’d add 40 pounds which would be 370 pounds but like I said I could be wrong.

Mike DeCourcy has written an interesting article but, there are inconsistencies. In the title, he exhorts the reader to stop making comparisons of Zion to other outstanding players but then, himself, makes several compelling ones. The Lebron James comparison is particularly odd. He quotes a few sources saying that it is unfair to Zion to compare to Lebron James, but then references the coach of the world champion Golden State Warriors (who knows a thing or 2 about basketball), who clearly compares the two.

Indeed, the best comparison of Zion IS to Lebron simply because both are extremely large, athletic men with tremendous basketball skills. They are both able to play all 5 positions on the court against the highest of competition. They simply and uniquely do what people their size should not be able to do.

I think it’s so awesome why his mom named him like she did.
It’s like he was destined for greatness.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT