ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the 2019 Class

Check all players you think will commit to Duke.

• Total voters
Barnes turned down millions of dollars...only to sign a contract that when it ages out, he will have made over $100 million. Yeah, what a moron.
Would have signed the $100 million dollar contract a year earlier had he left after 1 year, so yes, he definitely cost himself money.

The Barnes example is funny, #1 recruit and will make a fraction of what guys like Kyrie, Tatum, Bagley, etc. end up making. But sure, he's the UNC big money guy, and is a 2nd option on a terrible NBA team, lol.

Reactions: Duke937
Would have signed the $100 million dollar contract a year earlier had he left after 1 year, so yes, he definitely cost himself money.

So you mean he could have $108 million instead of just $100 million? Damn fool, if you ask me.

The Barnes example is funny, #1 recruit and will make a fraction of what guys like Kyrie, Tatum, Bagley, etc. end up making. But sure, he's the UNC big money guy, and is a 2nd option on a terrible NBA team, lol.

Thank you for your petty and irrelevant comments on Barnes. And for the record, Jordan made a fraction of what Bagley will make. And I bet Bagley will make a fraction of what the 23rd pick in the 2033 draft will make.

So you mean he could have $108 million instead of just $100 million? Damn fool, if you ask me.

Thank you for your petty and irrelevant comments on Barnes. And for the record, Jordan made a fraction of what Bagley will make. And I bet Bagley will make a fraction of what the 23rd pick in the 2033 draft will make.

If you look at the top 15 recruits over Roy's tenure at UNC compared to other schools, you will notice how many top players stayed at UNC for 3-4 years. There's no comparison when comparing other college coaches. Jawaad Williams, McCants, Felton, May, Hansbrough, Green, Lawson, Ellington, Ed Davis, Henson, Harrison Barnes, Reggie Bullock, McAdoo, PJ Hairston, Hicks, Justin Jackson, and Theo Pinson were all top 15 recruits who stayed multiple years (majority 3-4 years). If K could pull this off, Duke would probably have 10+ titles.

Reactions: Duke937
If you look at the top 15 recruits over Roy's tenure at UNC compared to other schools, you will notice how many top players stayed at UNC for 3-4 years. There's no comparison when comparing other college coaches. Jawaad Williams, McCants, Felton, May, Hansbrough, Green, Lawson, Ellington, Ed Davis, Henson, Harrison Barnes, Reggie Bullock, McAdoo, PJ Hairston, Hicks, Justin Jackson, and Theo Pinson were all top 15 recruits who stayed multiple years (majority 3-4 years). If K could pull this off, Duke would probably have 10+ titles.

And if Roy could pull in the top ranked recruiting class every year, UNC would probably have 10+ titles. It’s obviously a trade off.

As for your list, many of those names were before the OAD became a viable option for players outside of the top 3-5 recruits. Also, not all classes are created equal.

And we may be able to regain it, but as usual, the question will be “who is staying?” Vernon is most likely a spring commit anyway. And of course, there’s chatter if he and Anthony exploring the overseas and or G-League thing.

I was interested to see if Darius Bazely skipping to G-League might create a new trend, but now it sounds like he’s skipping the G-League too. He might take the Mitchell Robinson private trainer route.

Hokie, do you know why things seem to have changed with Carey? Like someone else said, I thought we were leading for him pretty strongly until some of the things I've read this week.

And if Roy could pull in the top ranked recruiting class every year, UNC would probably have 10+ titles. It’s obviously a trade off.

As for your list, many of those names were before the OAD became a viable option for players outside of the top 3-5 recruits. Also, not all classes are created equal.

Hahahaha hahahha at Roy winning championships with freshman! The man has to have several 5 stars who stay 3-4 years just to win it.

Terror Beard, you are starting to act like a child. Please find a way to stop yourself from acting like that.

I want you to rationally explain how I'm acting like a child. I am posting in the exact same manner as those with which I am corresponding. Are they also acting like a child?

Wrong argument. We're arguing recruiting here. Stay on topic please.

You indicated K recruits players who attend classes for just one semester, hence, you opening the argument for school attendance. I don't blame you for wanting to restrict the argument to recruiting with the history UNC has with scandals. With that said, K has outclassed Roy on the recruiting trail, while flooding the NBA market with marketable/productive players. Keep in mind, K is doing this in 1 season and maintaining a top 10 team on top of that.

You indicated K recruits players who attend classes for just one semester, hence, you opening the argument for school attendance. I don't blame you for wanting to restrict the argument to recruiting with the history UNC has with scandals. With that said, K has outclassed Roy on the recruiting trail, while flooding the NBA market with marketable/productive players. Keep in mind, K is doing this in 1 season and maintaining a top 10 team on top of that.

You initially made the comment that Roy can only win when he has guys stick around (as if that's something to be embarrassed by, but whatever). I simply then made a similar comment stating that K has to recruit top classes every year (because he does). Tit for tat, you know? It's two different styles and philosophies. I don't care how duke does it and I'm not really sure why you would care how UNC does it. Good for K and I'm glad his method is working for you. Just like I'm glad Roy's method is working for us.

As to your comments on "flooding the NBA market with productive players", I'm sure you remember how well UNC did that in the 70s, 80s and 90s. It was cool to me then because I was younger and cared about the NBA. But it never brought UNC any more wins or titles. But I guess it was neat because I watched a lot of NBA then and I liked seeing how our guys were doing. So I don't begrudge you that enjoyment at all. It's just that I personally don't care because I don't follow the NBA.

I'm going to jump in here against my better judgement. Roy didn't recruit all the players you listed and almost all of them were considered multi year players, not OAD.

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
Just picked up a CB pick for Duke for Bacot from Slater. Could mean something because he’s set to announce in like 9 minutes.

Dukes record against unc since (deans final year at unc) 1997 duke is 33-19. So what's working for unc again?

Dukes record against unc since (deans final year at unc) 1997 duke is 33-19. So what's working for unc again?

Well, for one, since Roy arrived in Chapel Hill, they've won more national championships than we have.

I get no joy out of saying that, but the facts are the facts. And I would trade our head-to-head record in a nanosecond to have that extra title.

Terror Beard, you are starting to act like a child. Please find a way to stop yourself from acting like that.
Those 2 posts you made where you literally just took what somebody said and tried to apply “the opposite” of that to Duke. Considering the venue here, and then also the tone of your posts, yeah you sounded like a child. Just you, nobody else.

Anyways Terror Beard, it doesn’t really matter to me. You are just going to end up getting yourself banned if you keep acting like that. I guess that was my way of cautioning you, after I got in an annoyed mood after reading your posts.

Hokie, do you know why things seem to have changed with Carey? Like someone else said, I thought we were leading for him pretty strongly until some of the things I've read this week.

The joys of recruiting. Recruiting analysts get good info at times and sometimes they can only read the tea leaves. The Carey recruitment is definitely a tea leaves scenario.

Some high-ranked kids are more ready than others.

Everybody agrees with you about McAdoo. He probably wouldn't have made it in the NBA any better as OAD, but he would have made big bucks. In retrospect, he should have gone.

Half of the rest of the guys you mention were before or early in the OAD era, so it doesn't make sense to count them. A couple of the later guys were injured.

But the main thing is that top recruits who recognize that they need time to develop tend to like Roy, whereas top recruits who think they are already good enough for the NBA tend to like K or Cal. While at the same time, Roy tends to go after the top recruits he thinks will come along over time, whereas K and (especially) Cal tend to go after top recruits who can be whipped into shape over the course of a single season.

There's nothing wrong with either of those strategies. But they lead to signing different kinds of players - even among the top recruits.

K used to recruit more like Roy. But you could argue that he adapted to the OAD era better than Roy (who doesn't seem to have changed his strategy much).

Reactions: FactCheckerUSA
Some high-ranked kids are more ready than others.

Everybody agrees with you about McAdoo. He probably wouldn't have made it in the NBA any better as OAD, but he would have made big bucks. In retrospect, he should have gone.

Half of the rest of the guys you mention were before or early in the OAD era, so it doesn't make sense to count them. A couple of the later guys were injured.

But the main thing is that top recruits who recognize that they need time to develop tend to like Roy, whereas top recruits who think they are already good enough for the NBA tend to like K or Cal. While at the same time, Roy tends to go after the top recruits he thinks will come along over time, whereas K and (especially) Cal tend to go after top recruits who can be whipped into shape over the course of a single season.

There's nothing wrong with either of those strategies. But they lead to signing different kinds of players - even among the top recruits.

K used to recruit more like Roy. But you could argue that he adapted to the OAD era better than Roy (who doesn't seem to have changed his strategy much).

The OAD rule has been active since 06 and Roy was keeping players longer than usual. Just review the top 15 players since Roy arrived at UNC and you will see Roy's players have stayed in college much longer than any player ranked that high coming out of HS. I'm comparing this to every coach who's had this type of talent.

If you guys could have only 1, would you rather have James or Anthony?

James because he can play on the wing at "6"7 210. Anthony more of a CG looking for his shot. Tre more than likely will be back for his soph year. Think dukes top backcourt options for 2019 are james, Bryan and wendell. That's already pushing it white, baker, AOC and probably tre.

Well, the Bacot thing came as a surprise to me the other day (I thought he was going to be here in my first post ITT), but I don't get the sense Duke is too concerned, or there would be more backup options. Not offering Timme or Liddell is telling.

My new class projection:

James, Antoine, Moore, and Stewart

THEN

Anthony or Hampton
Carey or Hurt

I would lean toward Hampton and Carey if I had to pick which will be at Duke.

The crappy thing is UNC has turned the corner officially in recruiting. They will have a really nice class.

After the 2018 class (mainly Zion), I won't believe that any elite recruit will be going to UK over Duke until it is actually signed and written in ink.

With that said, I REALLY hope Carey comes to Duke.
Really? You think no top prospect will come to UK after 2018?

I understand there’s a battle every year between Duke and UK for the top players. But to say we want get a elite player after 2018 is just plain asinine.

I think your college fandom card should be revoked for that comment alone.

Looks like Cole Anthony will not be a Blue Devil. What's guru gary-7 saying though? It all goes through him.

This comes from the highest levels of the Carolina ecosystem. Cole Anthony will likely go through the recruiting process, but the decision has already been made.

1 unc1012, Friday at 11:35 AM

Looks like Cole Anthony will not be a Blue Devil. What's guru gary-7 saying though? It all goes through him.

This comes from the highest levels of the Carolina ecosystem. Cole Anthony will likely go through the recruiting process, but the decision has already been made.

1 unc1012, Friday at 11:35 AM

We had someone troll us for months saying Zion was going to unc. Could be the same thing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT