ADVERTISEMENT

Predict the 2019 Class

Check all players you think will commit to Duke.

• Total voters
Duke isn't getting Hurt and Timme didn't include Duke in his final 10.

Bacot will much more likely than not be at Duke.

I agree with parts of your statement as of today. There are other parts, that could change based on commitments and the like. You’re always pretty plugged in. Keep posting, it’s good stuff.

I think it's very realistic with the way K has been recruiting. Preferably, I hope we land Bacot to pair up with Stewart (to have multi-year players). However, I won't complain with landing Carey if this happens.

Bacot looks less and less like a multi-year player every time out. Closer to a OAD every time out, which is why there is less talk of him being a UNC "lock." He's still a UNC lean, but if he entertains OAD ideas, then UNC is less of a landing spot.

Bacot looks less and less like a multi-year player every time out. Closer to a OAD every time out, which is why there is less talk of him being a UNC "lock." He's still a UNC lean, but if he entertains OAD ideas, then UNC is less of a landing spot.
He’s a big Duke fan from what I have heard

Honestly, Stewart is the kid I want most, long term. That kid will be a solid player for 3+ years. He can contribute at a high level, while still not being highly desired by the NBA.
Stewart more than likely will be OAD. Bacot is more than likely the multi year player.

Why any OAD prospect would consider unc is beyond me. Roy’s track record with OADs are Terrible!

Because of extenuating circumstances. Their absence was explained and accepted. Whatever beef Greg had with Duke was strictly inmaturity and happened almost 30 years ago now. Greg has since come out in interviews and talked about how much he respects Duke and K in particular.

In terms of explaining my earlier post, it’s pretty obvious. Cole is bound to be a potential perennial all star in the NBA. If he’s going to college for a year, it ain’t going to be at Mount St. Mary’s.

I suppose I should have worded my initial post better. The fact that he has been unofficially visiting schools that have consistently watched him shows a sense of loyalty. And I just found it odd to differentiate his recruitment as one in which he's asking, "what can you do for me," when I feel like every kid should have that mindset when they choose a school.

Hopefully things will play out in Duke's favor.

I suppose I should have worded my initial post better. The fact that he has been unofficially visiting schools that have consistently watched him shows a sense of loyalty. And I just found it odd to differentiate his recruitment as one in which he's asking, "what can you do for me," when I feel like every kid should have that mindset when they choose a school.

Hopefully things will play out in Duke's favor.

That is true. Every kid should have that mindset. But when you are THE top kid in the class, you get to be a little choosey, and brand recognition starts in high school anymore. So the blue bloods (and that includes Nova right now) will get the first, second, and third chances at Cole. It is what it is.

Stewart more than likely will be OAD. Bacot is more than likely the multi year player.

Disagree. Bacot has near ideal size and athleticism, and a developing skillset. He's more raw offensively, but is a solid defender and plus rebounder now. He's looked good this summer, and I expect that to carry over during the upcoming year. That is the trajectory of a OAD, and is, imho, why UNC is no longer quite the lock it once seemed to be.
Stewart, at less than 6-9, lacks the ideal NBA measurements. He's a great rebounder and defender, but he can't play face up at all. I could see him as a guy that plays 2-3 years in college, at a high level, while lacking a few attributes that the NBA really desires in players.

Reactions: Crimby
I bet Duke lands James, Antoine, Moore, Stewart, Carey, and Anthony.

This would be ideal...Duke will definitely lose RJ/Zion/Cam/Vrank and most likely Bolden and Tre, thats a lot to replace. All 5 starters again plus a big.

I hope Duke lands 2 bigs in this class bc right now Duke is looking at just Jav as a Sr which would be great but thats in. I guess MRobinson too as a Sr. 4

Duke will need to land at least 5 players as they will most likely lose at least 5

Cole/Antonio/Moore/Stewart/Carey...blended with
James/Alex/Joey/Jack/Jav
Goldy

Could a 4/5 of either Stewart/Bacot and Carey work?

Well see....a lot of minutes to be had next season at Duke for K once again next season!

Last edited:
It cracks me up when ppl say some kids are for sure multi-year guys. You have no idea about that. If they ball out as freshman, they’re gone. No matter where they’re ranked BEFORE their senior years of high school. There are always kids you know are gone for sure. But to think a low to mid range 5 Star would be at Duke for more than one season is kinda crazy.

Reactions: golfwang8
Disagree. Bacot has near ideal size and athleticism, and a developing skillset. He's more raw offensively, but is a solid defender and plus rebounder now. He's looked good this summer, and I expect that to carry over during the upcoming year. That is the trajectory of a OAD, and is, imho, why UNC is no longer quite the lock it once seemed to be.
Stewart, at less than 6-9, lacks the ideal NBA measurements. He's a great rebounder and defender, but he can't play face up at all. I could see him as a guy that plays 2-3 years in college, at a high level, while lacking a few attributes that the NBA really desires in players.
I watched a high school game on YouTube last night of Bacot going against Joey Baker. Bacot is really good and he plays solid defense. Of course it was just one game I watched.

Duke is in great position to Land another excellent class.

My opinion we land

J James PG/ SG
B.Antoine SG/ W
W. Moore SF/ G
Vernon Carey!! PF Unsure why so many don't see this happening. He is the Gem of the class and coach ks main priority in this class. A more mature Bagley!!

Stewart PF/C

I hold out hopes for Cole Anthony because he and his father both stated they want to wait until spring and see where everyone falls. Plus I think the potential of Tre jones becoming a multi year player keeps things a bay.

Wild Card may be RJ Hampton who may also wait out to see if re-classing is best for him. He is really high on Duke but depending on PG play of Tre this year may cause him to stay in the 2020.

*Bacot I do believe we miss on and commits to UNC. He reminds me of former unc bigs Maye and Meeks. Last summer I seen him play a few times live at Myrtle beach with Team Loaded Va and he didn't strike me as a Duke player. Not saying he isn't talented just looking at Coach K's recent track record I don't really consider him to be an elite talent. Kind of differed to other players on his team like McCormack KU recruit this year and kid going to Georgetown. Plus with the players coming in he doesn't exactly fit the uptempo style of play Duke is known to play.

Bacot is leaning toward UNcheat. Pieces will start falling over the next month or 2.
Wendell Moore I feel will be the first to commit to Duke

Good choice by Bacot. I still think Hurt may be a solid possibility and I’m on record on this board saying “we ain’t getting Hurt.” IMO, the tide is changing there a bit.

Good choice by Bacot. I still think Hurt may be a solid possibility and I’m on record on this board saying “we ain’t getting Hurt.” IMO, the tide is changing there a bit.
I don’t think we get Hurt either. Also, Getting kind of worried about a big man next year. Two weeks ago, Duke looked real good with Carey, and now it’s being said that UK is in really good shape with Carey and that Miami might even be ahead of Duke in Carey’s Recruitment. Then when u look at Isaiah Stewart, Villanova has been trending for him.

Why any OAD prospect would consider unc is beyond me. Roy’s track record with OADs are Terrible!

I think most rational UNC fans (there are a few of us surprisingly) would agree with you here. Our hope is that Nas Little and now Bacot can help reverse this trend but with OAD ending soon, I know I'm a little less concerned about it than I was a few years ago.

I think you guys get Stewart, Moore, Antonie, and Carey. If RJ reclasses he's yours also. Who the hell knows on Cole Anthony, I don't think any team should feel good about landing him right now.

I'm looking forward to the Stewart vs. Bacot battles.

I don’t think we get Hurt either. Also, Getting kind of worried about a big man next year. Two weeks ago, Duke looked real good with Carey, and now it’s being said that UK is in really good shape with Carey and that Miami might even be ahead of Duke in Carey’s Recruitment. Then when u look at Isaiah Stewart, Villanova has been trending for him.

I actually am changing my take a bit. I think we have a chance to pull the coup with Hurt. There is some headway being made and the other commitments are opening a path to Hurt. Just my opinion.

Also Carey’s father played football at Miami and for the Dolphins, so that’s where that is coming from. Second place doesn’t matter anyway, Kentucky may be first.

I actually am changing my take a bit. I think we have a chance to pull the coup with Hurt. There is some headway being made and the other commitments are opening a path to Hurt. Just my opinion.

Also Carey’s father played football at Miami and for the Dolphins, so that’s where that is coming from. Second place doesn’t matter anyway, Kentucky may be first.
Amazing how recruiting changes so fast. Literally two weeks ago, it sounded like we were there with Carey.

Amazing how recruiting changes so fast. Literally two weeks ago, it sounded like we were there with Carey.

And we may be able to regain it, but as usual, the question will be “who is staying?” Vernon is most likely a spring commit anyway. And of course, there’s chatter if he and Anthony exploring the overseas and or G-League thing.

I was interested to see if Darius Bazely skipping to G-League might create a new trend, but now it sounds like he’s skipping the G-League too. He might take the Mitchell Robinson private trainer route.

After the 2018 class (mainly Zion), I won't believe that any elite recruit will be going to UK over Duke until it is actually signed and written in ink.

With that said, I REALLY hope Carey comes to Duke.

I think most rational UNC fans (there are a few of us surprisingly) would agree with you here. Our hope is that Nas Little and now Bacot can help reverse this trend but with OAD ending soon, I know I'm a little less concerned about it than I was a few years ago.

I think you guys get Stewart, Moore, Antonie, and Carey. If RJ reclasses he's yours also. Who the hell knows on Cole Anthony, I don't think any team should feel good about landing him right now.

I'm looking forward to the Stewart vs. Bacot battles.

I expect Nassir to be a OAD, but Bacot is a 3-4 year player at UNC. Bacot is a solid pickup and the battles between Stewart and Bacot will be fun to watch. I'm hoping Duke can land some fringe 5 star players that will stay 3-4 years since the OAD rule is changing. Experience is critical on the college level.

Duke is in a weird position, we know we need a big class but we also figure that 1. The OAD rule isn’t changing until what sounds like 2022. So at this point you are almost forced to continue on the same recruiting path. 2. Ironically we need shooters- for years that’s all we had. 3. It’s hard to predict who is staying or going and ideally we hope a number (maybe half) of our targets make spring decisions. In the past it was the opposite.

How is Roy's track record with OADs bad? He's had 3 OADs. They've all gone first round and 2 inside the lottery. What more can you ask for?

Duke is in a weird position, we know we need a big class but we also figure that 1. The OAD rule isn’t changing until what sounds like 2022. So at this point you are almost forced to continue on the same recruiting path. 2. Ironically we need shooters- for years that’s all we had. 3. It’s hard to predict who is staying or going and ideally we hope a number (maybe half) of our targets make spring decisions. In the past it was the opposite.

They are going to keep pushing that proposed change to OAD down the road, indefinitely. Last year, the consensus top 2 picks significantly underperformed two later picks. And every owner (or at least GMs) remember flaming out on some "surefire, can't miss" top lottery picks that ultimately proved flawed.
We had a nice run of years over the last 7-8 that were full of guys that looked like sure fire stars, and ultimately backed that up. This lead to talk of getting rid of OAD because the NBA wanted access to the studs RTFN. Recent classes have featured fewer, if any, can't miss studs, with more downside risk at the top of HS rankings.
In other words, the NBA sees no prospects on the horizon that it is willing to take essentially sight unseen. A year of college to evaluate these kids isn't the worst thing ever.

How is Roy's track record with OADs bad? He's had 3 OADs. They've all gone first round and 2 inside the lottery. What more can you ask for?

3 years out of James Michael McAdoo. 2 out of Barnes. Several others.
He's had a lot of kids that should have been OAD that spent 2+ years in college. He's got a rep for keeping kids in school longer, only for them to not be any more ready for the NBA than OADs.

3 years out of James Michael McAdoo. 2 out of Barnes. Several others.
He's had a lot of kids that should have been OAD that spent 2+ years in college. He's got a rep for keeping kids in school longer, only for them to not be any more ready for the NBA than OADs.

lol "should have been OAD". I know this sounds crazy, but maybe...just maybe, they didn't want to be OAD? I know, that's a weird thought that some kids might have more on their mind than making money but I bet it happens.

Reactions: jchammock
lol "should have been OAD". I know this sounds crazy, but maybe...just maybe, they didn't want to be OAD? I know, that's a weird thought that some kids might have more on their mind than making money but I bet it happens.
No, it doesn't happen, not when millions of dollars are involved. You're wrong.

If a kid wants to turn down millions of dollars in order to play another season of college basketball, well than, clearly he is perfect for the AFAM studies program. Because that is idiotic.

No, it doesn't happen, not when millions of dollars are involved. You're wrong.

If a kid wants to turn down millions of dollars in order to play another season of college basketball, well than, clearly he is perfect for the AFAM studies program. Because that is idiotic.

Barnes turned down millions of dollars...only to sign a contract that when it ages out, he will have made over $100 million. Yeah, what a moron.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT