ADVERTISEMENT

Potential matchup with Texas next week

Guy Smiley

Cameron Crazy
Jan 5, 2012
How do y'all see this matchup? Duke has always been my first love when it comes to basketball, but I am a Texas grad and pull for them as well.

They start:

Bamba--Freshman, lottery selection at the end of this year, super long, blocks a lot of shots
Osetkowski--transfer junior power forward, wide body, shoots the three, crafty, fearless
Jones--soph, almost went pro after last season, athletic, long, shooter, quick two/three guard
Roach--junior, freak athlete, improving shooter, terrific defender, highlight dunker
Coleman--freshman, pass first traditional pg, stirs the drink, mentally tough, quick

Bench

Jericho Sims--6-11 freshman, freak athlete, future pro player
Eric Davis, jr.--junior, shooter, scorer, not overly athletic
Jase Febres--scrappy 6'5 freshman
Jacob Young--soph, shooter off the bench, scored 11 points in about 5 minutes last game, streaky

I see Duke as the clear favorite with more talent, and of course the goat. However, Shaka Smart is a good coach, and Texas is athletic with size, and with several future pro players. Texas must beat Butler first to play Duke.

What do you think about the matchup?

Reactions: christophero
I honestly don’t know a lot about Texas, other than what you just posted. I know we recruited both Bamba and Coleman, and I think we might have flirted with Eric Davis, too at one time.

I honestly don’t know a lot about Texas, other than what you just posted. I know we recruited both Bamba and Coleman, and I think we might have flirted with Eric Davis, too at one time.

Texas will be ranked this season, and I think they are definitely a tournament team. They press a lot, but I think Trevon can handle that. They rebound, and are long and athletic, but they don't shoot it as well as Trent and Allen (who does?).

Again, Duke is better, but this would be an interesting matchup, and not a gimme.

It’s gonna be fun to see Carter and Bamba go at it. I’m really looking forward to this matchup if it happens, but Texas has to beat Butler first.

Duke should win. I could see this game being tight much like the St. John’s/Duke 1K game in ‘15. I mention that game strictly because Duke would be heavily favored but Texas will fight the whole game much like the Johnnies. This ain’t the Cameron Ridley led Horns. They’ll be feisty.

The matchup with Gonzaga could be tough too. Rui Hachimura is a straight up beast. He and Bagley will be a fun matchup.

Duke should win. I could see this game being tight much like the St. John’s/Duke 1K game in ‘15. I mention that game strictly because Duke would be heavily favored but Texas will fight the whole game much like the Johnnies. This ain’t the Cameron Ridley led Horns. They’ll be feisty.

The matchup with Gonzaga could be tough too. Rui Hachimura is a straight up beast. He and Bagley will be a fun matchup.
I think we will see Florida in the finals. They look pretty tough, very long and athletic, great on defense, much like last years Florida team that we beat. They would be a great test IMO, would be nice to destroy a team from the SEC too.

Reactions: dukehokie
Texas is one of the worst perimeter shooting teams from the P6 Conferences. They shot below 30% last year - and are currently sitting at 29.8% this year. That to me, spells a perfect time for zone defense. Texas certainly has some athletes that can ball, but they'll need to hit 10+ threes to win, IMO... also, they'll need to beat Butler.

With that many "freak athletes" how in the world will Duke be favored? Texas sucks, not worried!

With that many "freak athletes" how in the world will Duke be favored? Texas sucks, not worried!

We've certainly got some athletes, too! I will concede, however, that Kerwin Roach had one of the best dunks from two years ago. Dunks don't win games, but still fun to watch.

Reactions: dukephysics
I think we will see Florida in the finals. They look pretty tough, very long and athletic, great on defense, much like last years Florida team that we beat. They would be a great test IMO, would be nice to destroy a team from the SEC too.

Dont forget Mike White (Duke AD Kevin's son) is a heckuva coach as well...OFC

Wait, it isn't a real tournament, is it? I thought you play two rounds and thats it... it doesn't go all the way to a final? So we'd get our first game and then the Butler/Texas winner, and thats it?

Wait, it isn't a real tournament, is it? I thought you play two rounds and thats it... it doesn't go all the way to a final? So we'd get our first game and then the Butler/Texas winner, and thats it?

No then most likely Florida on Sunday

It’s essentially two tourneys at the same time is my understanding. Could be wrong.

Let him try that stuff on Carter, Bagley, or Bolden.

Better yet, let him try it on Vrank.

yahbmhyp

yes but every time TEXAS play,s duke ducks it,s always the TEXAS five VS duke ducks 8 yea you know what I am talking about .

yes but every time TEXAS play,s duke ducks it,s always the TEXAS five VS duke ducks 8 yea you know what I am talking about .
I have no idea what you're talking about but I had a Beagle for 15 years so I'll like this! RIP Roscoe.

Reactions: pisgah101

Do you speak anything other than Pig Latin there Junior? We speak English over in these parts. Study up and get back to us with a full report.

Reactions: dukehokie
I'll be honest I didn't even realize we could play Texas. I have just assumed it would be butler the entire time

It probably will be Butler.

Butler may very well beat Texas, but Texas did play an exhibition game against Texas A&M (that had the intensity of a tournament game), and Texas won. A&M has one of the best front lines in the country.

Duke should win, but I don't think it's a gimme. Hopefully Texas beats Butler so we can find out.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT