ADVERTISEMENT

Poor Coach Cal

germantondevil

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Mar 12, 2006
Germanton NC
Calipari whining about oooohhhh we take everybodies best shot when we are on the road. Welcome to Coach K and Dukes world since about 1990 you freakin whiner. Does he really think his program has upped Coach Ks program. He still plays second fiddle to K. He fell into 1 title and now he thinks he is the elite. Wow

Calipari whining about oooohhhh we take everybodies best shot when we are on the road. Welcome to Coach K and Dukes world since about 1990 you freakin whiner. Does he really think his program has upped Coach Ks program. He still plays second fiddle to K. He fell into 1 title and now he thinks he is the elite. Wow

What?

He is an elite coach, but they are not a clear cut number one program in the country either. He does seem to toot his own horn a tad bit too much. Duke, Kansas, UNX, UK Arizona, and etc all get a teams best shot every time out. But when you beat a team as bad as UK beat UCLA last year, it leaves residual effects.

He is an elite coach, but they are not a clear cut number one program in the country either. He does seem to toot his own horn a tad bit too much. Duke, Kansas, UNX, UK Arizona, and etc all get a teams best shot every time out. But when you beat a team as bad as UK beat UCLA last year, it leaves residual effects.

We slept walk through at least the last 3 games prior to UCLA. Tried that again and got punched in the mouth real quick.

And you are right, on one end you had a team pissed off because of last season, and on the other you had a team that was seemingly clueless that the other team was going to come out as hungry as they were.

I don't know what comments the OP is referring to, but Cal says it all the time. It is true, UK always gets the best shot from its opponents on the road, but as someone said a few posts up, many many teams get that same treatment. It is not something exclusive to UK.

You either are prepared for that coming in, or you have a game like last night where it was never in doubt for 3/4's of the game.

UK will always get the other teams best shot away from home just like many teams will. Caliper should have just said UCLA played great and UK played awful. This is not the last time UK will lose this season and they are just one of several teams that will get a crack at number one this season. I certainly wish UK would have played like this when we played them and I don't see how UCLA lost to the 3 teams they lost to.

You guys remember the time John Chaney went after Cal at the post game conference in 1994 ? It probably wasn't the proper time or place but for Chaney to be that upset cal had to have done something pretty bush league shows the character of Cal. I can't remember exactly what went on but it seems Chaney apologized for his behavior. OFC

^ When Calipari was the coach of the Nets, he called a hispanic beat reporter a "Mexican idiot" to his face, causing the team to publicly apologize for the incident.

I remember Chaney said he would kill him and called him an SoB. I would still like to know what Cal had done.

You guys remember the time John Chaney went after Cal at the post game conference in 1994 ? It probably wasn't the proper time or place but for Chaney to be that upset cal had to have done something pretty bush league shows the character of Cal. I can't remember exactly what went on but it seems Chaney apologized for his behavior. OFC

Actually, the rumor is that Cal confronted the officials in the hallway after a much hyped game between Temple and UMass that Cal had won. He wasn't happy with the officiating and let them know about it. When Cheney caught wind of this he stormed into Cal's press conference, threatened to kill him, and said something to the effect that he should have let his player's punch Cal's players in the face. And if you do a little research you'd find that it wasn't the first time Cheney threw a tantrum. But hey, the story wouldn't be as good if Cal didn't end up being the bad guy, right?

Yes please, if you could do so in a coherent manner. The OP's post looked like something you'd see on the UNCheats boards.

Okay I'll try. Duke has been the most dominate program in college basketball during the modern era.. Therefore ever since around 1990 give or take a couple seasons every team we play circles our game and bring the best they have to try and beat us. Most of the time they don't BUT when they do and if it's on the road they always storm the court and act like they just won the super bowl. It happens so much that when you see "rules for court storming" beat Duke is on it. So we always always take every teams best shot it's just as simple as that and usually when a team beats us they lose the next time out (I saw the stat before and it was a crazy percentage of how true it is) anyway I believe the OP was stating that every time Kentucky loses cal gives some slimy news conference and always says something about "we take everyone's best shot" and etc etc making some backhanded excuses while when we lose Coach K ALWAYS gives props to the other team and coach for being prepared and laying it too us. We get everyone's best shot but don't complain and blame loses on that but cal tends to make the excuses... That might help clear it up for ya!

Reactions: skysdad
Okay I'll try. Duke has been the most dominate program in college basketball during the modern era.. Therefore ever since around 1990 give or take a couple seasons every team we play circles our game and bring the best they have to try and beat us. Most of the time they don't BUT when they do and if it's on the road they always storm the court and act like they just won the super bowl. It happens so much that when you see "rules for court storming" beat Duke is on it. So we always always take every teams best shot it's just as simple as that and usually when a team beats us they lose the next time out (I saw the stat before and it was a crazy percentage of how true it is) anyway I believe the OP was stating that every time Kentucky loses cal gives some slimy news conference and always says something about "we take everyone's best shot" and etc etc making some backhanded excuses while when we lose Coach K ALWAYS gives props to the other team and coach for being prepared and laying it too us. We get everyone's best shot but don't complain and blame loses on that but cal tends to make the excuses... That might help clear it up for ya!

It's clear as a bell to me but our UK visitor may have a hard time seeing it that way with all the Cal hair jell covering his eyes. Once again why do guys like him come over here. We've been told to be as cordial as possible but it's hard to do. They know just how far they can get without being banned. I'd rather they just come out and be the trolls and flamers that they really are and stop the phony posters they really are. At least some of the guys over at THR come right out and let you know who they are. OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
Actually, the rumor is that Cal confronted the officials in the hallway after a much hyped game between Temple and UMass that Cal had won. He wasn't happy with the officiating and let them know about it.

Cheney ... said something to the effect that he should have let his player's punch Cal's players in the face.

Cal told the refs that they would never officiate a game at UMass again. Cheney told Cal: "You've got a good ball club. But what you did with the officials out there is wrong, and I don't want to be a party to that. You understand?" Cheney, like most people, does not like a poor winner.

The punching reference was in response to the highly physical play of UMass. Cheney: "Then you send your kids out there pushing and shoving. You had the best officiating you could ever get here. And for you to ride them, I don't want to be a party to that."

Cal told the refs that they would never officiate a game at UMass again. Cheney told Cal: "You've got a good ball club. But what you did with the officials out there is wrong, and I don't want to be a party to that. You understand?" Cheney, like most people, does not like a poor winner.

The punching reference was in response to the highly physical play of UMass. Cheney: "Then you send your kids out there pushing and shoving. You had the best officiating you could ever get here. And for you to ride them, I don't want to be a party to that."

That's more close to what happened than our UK visitor has stated. OFC

Reactions: twdukefan

So basically Cal said to the officials "Gosh Dang it, the officiating was less than admirable in my opinion and it didn't set well with me and you refs will not be invited back to officiate another hoops match". Or something along those lines.

Last edited:
I think the only thing we can all agree on is that Cheney would have gone midieval on Calipari.

Reactions: dbav
That's more close to what happened than our UK visitor has stated. OFC

I watched the video sky, as did you I'm sure. He threatened to kill Cal for pete's sake.

Seems to me you guys just think Cal is a poor loser and doesn't handle himself well in defeat. As an objective person, I can see that point of view. I'd hate on him too if I were the fan of another program. But to say he isn't elite or plays second fiddle to Coach K is ludicrous.

And there's nothing wrong with a little friendly debate. Plus, UK fans account for probably half of your web traffic over here. You'd be lonely without us....

I'm pretty sure everyone plays second fiddle to Coach K. I'm also pretty sure he has earned that respect over his career.

Also there is a huge difference between Coach K carrying himself like everyone is second fiddle to him (like Cal) and everyone showing Coach K the respect he deserves that's been earned over a lifetime of coaching and treating people with respect.

I watched the video sky, as did you I'm sure. He threatened to kill Cal for pete's sake.

Seems to me you guys just think Cal is a poor loser and doesn't handle himself well in defeat. As an objective person, I can see that point of view. I'd hate on him too if I were the fan of another program. But to say he isn't elite or plays second fiddle to Coach K is ludicrous.

And there's nothing wrong with a little friendly debate. Plus, UK fans account for probably half of your web traffic over here. You'd be lonely without us....

Windy seriously! I think Cal is a great coach but he does play second fiddle to Coach K as do all of the elite coaches in every sport. When Cal has a resume such as K's 1026 wins and 5 NCAA Championships we can talk more. Also UK fans are just a very small % of traffic here.

Last edited:
UK fans are the majority of our traffic?!? Before the season y'all were AWOL then you play us and win and you show up like bad in-laws then that FINALLY dies down and you think you are the reason we have a board... Good lord but who am I kidding you think you are college basketball as well.

Believe me, we wouldn't.

OFC

More accurately, I think most of us believe Cal doesn't handle himself well ever.
I think he's Trump-like. Good on camera but makes questionable management decisions. Ultimately, both just want to win at all costs.

John%20Calipari%20Kentucky%20Thoroughdead_1.jpg

An alternate take.

John%20Calipari%20UK%20Fallen%20and%20Cant%20Get%20Up%20Horse.jpg

OFC

Reactions: pisgah101
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT