ADVERTISEMENT

Playing Time Next Season

What Would Jesus Do?

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Nov 28, 2010
Now that the Baldwin distraction is out of the way, how do you think PT will shape up this coming year?

Who starts? Who backs up? Who are the first couple of guys off the bench?

Moore will play some point and some 3. AJ will play a lot of 4. Paolo will play small ball 5 along with John. Joey plays if he hits his first shot and is aggressive with it. Keels will be first guard off the bench. Blakes plays in emergencies. That's it right?

Moore,Keels, Griffin, Paolo and Williams start.
Roach, Baker and John off the bench.
Once Roach shows he’s improved Moore to lead the second unit with Blake.

Reactions: christophero
Dukedevilz is very close to what I see. Banchero gets as many minutes as he can handle because he can play 3 different positions.

I know it is young, but I see a starting line-up of:
Roach
Keels
Griffin
Banchero
Williams

I think that is a better structured lineup as far as balance and shooting, and I think Moore would be an absolute super-sub stud because of his positional versatility. He would be ideal there. But I fully acknowledge that it is going to be really hard to keep a junior Moore off the floor.

Hopefully this is the kind of year (certainly as opposed to last year) where the youngness isn't quite so detrimental because of the physical makeup of the freshmen.

Roach, Moore, AJ, Banchero, Williams. Then Keels, Theo and Baker. Blakes gets a few minutes if needed, Bates could get a few if injuries. Keels gets at least 20 minutes off the bench.

Last edited:
I know it is young, but I see a starting line-up of:
Roach
Keels
Griffin
Banchero
Williams

I think that is a better structured lineup as far as balance and shooting, and I think Moore would be an absolute super-sub stud because of his positional versatility. He would be ideal there. But I fully acknowledge that it is going to be really hard to keep a junior Moore off the floor.

Hopefully this is the kind of year (certainly as opposed to last year) where the youngness isn't quite so detrimental because of the physical makeup of the freshmen.
I like your lineup. Many might forget Roach and keels have played in the he backcourt together.

The 3 top recruits look like studs who will be ready to go right out of the gate. Or by ACC time, at the latest.

K does very well with players like that. And enough depth is there to handle the bumps.

Reactions: sheyduke
Seems like the biggest debate is whether Moore or Keels earn the starting spot.

The argument in favor of Keels isn't so much that Keels is better but that Moore is so versatile that you don't want to lock him into a single role.

Is that about right?

The argument in favor of Keels isn't so much that Keels is better but that Moore is so versatile that you don't want to lock him into a single role.

Is that about right?
I do think Moore has struggled often with good decision making and making open shots. So, while he's a junior and K would love to have a junior on the court as often as possible, I do think there's room for Keels to play himself into the starting position, even separate and apart from the good point you make about Wendell's versatility.

But yes, having Wendell come off the bench hopefully able to competently relieve any of our 1-3 players who get into early foul trouble or are struggling would be a nice little luxury.

I would rather have Moore starting and Keels off the bench. Keels could back up both guard spots if needed. It depends on how ready Blakes is. I imagine Blakes gets 2 to 4 minutes, unless he surprises

Is that about right?

I think there is some validity to that. I also think what that group needs is more shooting, and the perception is that Keels is probably better at that than Moore. Whether that shakes out on the floor is another question. Either way, Moore will be really tough to keep off the floor and will get plenty of minutes.

Reactions: IOWABLUDEVIL
Theo John is a guy who can get minutes if he is healthy. 12 to 15 backing up the 5 and some 4.

Theo John is a guy who can get minutes if he is healthy. 12 to 15 backing up the 5 and some 4.
Theo is getting minutes regardless. He’s got the back up 4/5 spot locked down. Unless a recruit buys in I say role with what Duke has on the roster and let’s get to work.

As long as Griffin, Banchero and Williams are on the court together more than 20 minutes, i don't care who else is out there. Play inside out. K needs to call Roy and get some tips on playing big men all game. To hell with small ball. That works if you have an elite shooting team. We aren't that. We need to lead the nation in 2pt fg and ft

As long as Griffin, Banchero and Williams are on the court together more than 20 minutes, i don't care who else is out there. Play inside out. K needs to call Roy and get some tips on playing big men all game. To hell with small ball. That works if you have an elite shooting team. We aren't that. We need to lead the nation in 2pt fg and ft
The only issue with calling Roy is Paolo and Griffin can play inside out and attack from the perimeter. If Williams improves his jumper from the free throw line Duke doesn’t have to play inside out. There are a lot of movable players on this roster.
I can see a more motion style offense. I think the three point shooting improves for the simple fact you either have to double team Paolo or Williams leaving one man open at all times.

One of my all time favorites is Justise Winslow and from what I've seen in videos, Griffin plays a lot like Justise. Strong, defensive minded, can shoot just enough and takes it hard to the basket. He could be the glue guy.

The only issue with calling Roy is Paolo and Griffin can play inside out and attack from the perimeter. If Williams improves his jumper from the free throw line Duke doesn’t have to play inside out. There are a lot of movable players on this roster.
I can see a more motion style offense. I think the three point shooting improves for the simple fact you either have to double team Paolo or Williams leaving one man open at all times.
We need to get teams in foul trouble and dominate the boards. Mark or Paolo should get a touch 90% of the possessions.

We need to get teams in foul trouble and dominate the boards. Mark or Paolo should get a touch 90% of the possessions.
I think teams will already game plan on that being Dukes offense. Where I think this team differs, from most is that they other teams will have to account for the kick out to the other players. Not even as much as the three point shot but the ability to penetrate and pass especially when the help side defender tries to come off Williams or Paolo.

If Roach improves his shot and Keels shoots it well we could be very good. Joey has an opportunity. There is a spot for Blakes, but only if he is ready. Otherwise Moore will be back up PG, which was not really successful last year. Moore needs to cut down on the turnovers/charges/ falling down. This should come with experience, but it's not guaranteed. Moore did look better at the end of the season. The staff probably knew Goldwire was leaving as Moore was the backup PG at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Roach, Keels, Moore and Griffin should be getting up 500 shots a day. All of them are going to have ample opportunities to knock down open 3's and they need to be able to do so.

Baker too for that matter.

I agree. Williams at 27 minutes will allow him to be more aggressive. Keels looked a little slow in the last video I watched but he's got great size. AJ was guarding him and locked him up. It was from 2 years ago. He almost looks like a forward.

Last edited:
I think Moore plays more minutes because he can play 3 positions (maybe 4) and he is the most experienced player. Joey will be given a chance at the beginning of the season but unless he can create shots I am afraid he will disappear as the season progresses.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I think Moore plays more minutes because he can play 3 positions (maybe 4) and he is the most experienced player. Joey will be given a chance at the beginning of the season but unless he can create shots I am afraid he will disappear as the season progresses.
This is Bakers last year. He needs to leave it all on the court. If his shot is falling he will get a lot of open looks.

Lot of good points here and I agree with a lot of potential scenarios. But, until we see how each guy performs in relation to everyone else, it is hard to predict. Theo is a good example. He is a vet and performed well in the Big East. On the surface, he looks like a pretty well known entity.
But, even as a 5th year guy, he could play a lot better, or, a lot worse than expected. A new system and coach could greatly change his performance in either direction. And, even some 5th year guys make bigger than expected jumps or regress unexpectedly. If he plays great, he could own the 4 and 5 backup and get 25 min a game. Even more likely if Blakes isnt ready and or one or more of Keels, Roach, or Moore disappoint.
But, if Blake's surprises and the other guards are playing well, Theo's minutes could go down even if he is playing well.
The good thing is that even though we only have 8 to 9 guys who have a realistic chance to contribute and only 7 guys that we expect to contribute, the guys we have offer a lot of flexibility, with multiple guys being able to handle 2-3 positions.

AJ is an x factor. If he has an Ingram type impact (more likely Winslow) we will be very good. But if he is up and down like Cam, then we might be up and down as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: bullettoothtony
AJ is an x factor. If he has an Ingram type impact (more likely Winslow) we will be very good. But if he is up and down like Cam, then we might be up and down as well.

I agree. AJ has player-of-the-year potential. I'm not saying that's a fair expectation... and I don't expect that... but the talent is there. I'll be fascinated to see how he evolves over the course of the season.

For what it's worth p.t. starters and who is on the court will be determined like always with Coach K. How practice goes and who is playing well in particular situations and the opposing teams players on the court. Banchero, Griffin and Williams more than likely will get the most minutes but Moore ,Roach and Keels will get their share. Most of our players should be well rested and the old term of "tired legs" will not be a factor. OFC

If his shot is falling he will get all the looks And time he can handle. He has to have no memory on the court. Just let it fly.
Exactly and stop passing on his shot. How many times last year was he wide open and still tried to pass it off? I remember like three back to back games he came in and was wide open and tried to pass it in , instead of taking his shot and it ended up a turn over.
when he’s on his shot is pure when he’s off it’s a deer in the headlights.

Reactions: timo0402
Exactly and stop passing on his shot. How many times last year was he wide open and still tried to pass it off? I remember like three back to back games he came in and was wide open and tried to pass it in , instead of taking his shot and it ended up a turn over.
when he’s on his shot is pure when he’s off it’s a deer in the headlights.
When he’s off it’s a hesitant jerky release. Just let it fly.

Reactions: sheyduke
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT