ADVERTISEMENT

PIck your lineup..

Buzzooka Joe

Cameron Crazy
Feb 20, 2006
You have to pick 1 of the 2 players listed at each position.. what’s your lineup?

* Skill levels are based on their 1 year at Duke (do not factor in anything they have did since leaving Duke)*

PG ::: Tre or Tyus

Wing 1 ::: RJ or Tatum

Wing 2 ::: Cam or Winslow

PF ::: Zion or Bagley

C ::: Wendell Carter or Jahlil Okafor

The one dukefanKY and Sky’s son have. Coin flip on RJ or Tatum. I like both lineups. Gun to my head, I take Tatum.

Reactions: skysdad
Tre
RJ
Justise
Zion
Okafor

I thought the only extremely difficult choice was the PG. I went with Tre, if I'm gonna have Okafor down low (weak defender, amazing scorer), I need a defensive menace hounding the ball.

Reactions: dukehokie
Tyus, RJ, Winslow, Zion, Jah
That is such a sick lineup.. there are very few weaknesses with the squad except for 3pt shooting.. but there isn’t a whole lot of 3pt difference between any of the choices.. Tatum was a little more accurate that RJ is, but only by 3-4%.

Reactions: DukefanKY
I feel bad for Bagley. Literally, the only way you could keep him out of a Duke freshman lineup would be to put him up against Zion in the midst of the one of the greatest freshman seasons of all-time.

Throw Bags at the 5 and I am taking Tyus, RJ, Winslow, Zion and MB3.

Tre
RJ
Justise
Zion
Okafor

I thought the only extremely difficult choice was the PG. I went with Tre, if I'm gonna have Okafor down low (weak defender, amazing scorer), I need a defensive menace hounding the ball.

Think how physically strong all those guys are for their position.. that would be hell to play against.

Winslow and Zion on the same team would produce so many amazing fast breaks that they would own all 10 spots on ESPN’s top ten every week.

I can't figure it out but I'd love to see these guys go 5 on 5 down in Cameron sometime. OFC

Reactions: Skeelow22
Man that’s tough. You can go so many ways with this one. A team with Tatum and RJ would be a menace if I could have picked that way.

Tyus
RJ
Cam
Zion
Carter

Tre may well prove to be as good a scorer as his bro, but I think Tyus’s offensive prowess outweighs Tre’s defense.

RJ is amazing and I’d put him with any Duke team ever and I’d win a lot of games.

I’d like to have Tatum with RJ, but since I can’t, I’ll go with Cam over Justise. IMO, they’re close to equals as defensive players (slight edge to Justise). Cam is a better shooter and he’s starting to heat up. We’re going love him when he really gets going. Justise is a better driver, but I won’t need that with my set up. Edge to Cam for me.

Zion. Nough said. Loved Bags, but Zion.

Wendell is a better defender and can space the floor more than Oak. That bodes well for RJ and Zion. Okafor was a superior college player, he just doesn’t fit my lineup as well.

I feel bad for Bagley. Literally, the only way you could keep him out of a Duke freshman lineup would be to put him up against Zion in the midst of the one of the greatest freshman seasons of all-time.

There are some on this board who would take Matt Christensen over Bags. I kid, I kid. ;)

i love this question but in the era of "positionless basketball" I would want to mix and match. I'd start BOTH Joneses, Winslow AND Zion, put Bagley at the 5 and take my chances against any combination. I am confident that Winslow and Zion would cover any defensive lapses by Bagley.

i love this question but in the era of "positionless basketball" I would want to mix and match. I'd start BOTH Joneses, Winslow AND Zion, put Bagley at the 5 and take my chances against any combination. I am confident that Winslow and Zion would cover any defensive lapses by Bagley.
You would have everything with that line-up, scoring big from Zion and Bags, shooting from Tyus, Bags and Winslow, menacing defense from Tre, Zion and Winslow, rebounding out the ass...my, my, my that would be insane.

Give Bagley Tre or Tyus in his one year at Duke and averages close to 30 a game if not 30.

I don't think there's really a wrong answer here. Put them all in a bag and shake them up and the first 5 to fall out is gonna be a hell of a team.....even if you are unlucky and neither Tyus and Tre fall out

I would go:

Tyus
Tatum
Justice
Zion
Carter

The slightly better shooting of Tyus/Tatum/Carter creates so much space and the D would be outstanding. If I could take any of the group though I would go:

Tre
RJ
Tatum
Zion
Bagley

This group shoots well enough and would get every offensive rebound so it wouldn't matter anyway.

Tyus
Tatum
Winslow
Zion
Carter

I know that seems crazy, to go Carter over Jah, but...

Man that’s tough. You can go so many ways with this one. A team with Tatum and RJ would be a menace if I could have picked that way.

Tyus
RJ
Cam
Zion
Carter

Tre may well prove to be as good a scorer as his bro, but I think Tyus’s offensive prowess outweighs Tre’s defense.

RJ is amazing and I’d put him with any Duke team ever and I’d win a lot of games.

I’d like to have Tatum with RJ, but since I can’t, I’ll go with Cam over Justise. IMO, they’re close to equals as defensive players (slight edge to Justise). Cam is a better shooter and he’s starting to heat up. We’re going love him when he really gets going. Justise is a better driver, but I won’t need that with my set up. Edge to Cam for me.

Zion. Nough said. Loved Bags, but Zion.

Wendell is a better defender and can space the floor more than Oak. That bodes well for RJ and Zion. Okafor was a superior college player, he just doesn’t fit my lineup as well.

Cam over Justise seems crazy to me. Winslow shot 50 percent from three at Duke.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
You have to pick 1 of the 2 players listed at each position.. what’s your lineup?

* Skill levels are based on their 1 year at Duke (do not factor in anything they have did since leaving Duke)*

Tre, Tatum, Winslow, Zion, and Carter

Reactions: DukeDenver
Cam over Justise seems crazy to me. Winslow shot 50 percent from three at Duke.

I’m projecting what I think will happen for Cam this season. It’s less of a slight on Justise, and more about what I think could be for Cam.

Besides, Justise shot 42%. Cam is currently at 34%.

Tre, RJ, Justise, Zion, Jah

The toughest choice is PG. I went w/ defense over stones. The most painful choice is leaving Bags off, but it's an easy call.

Tre - defensive beast and doesn't make mistakes. don't need him to score
Tatum - lights on scorer
Cam - floor spacer and plus defender
Zion - no explanation needed
Okafor - unstoppable in the post

Am I not valuing RJ enough by picking Jayson, or giving Jay too much credit for his NBA work?

And I can’t imagine NOT taking Tyus at this point. You take Stones. Always take Stones. By the end of the year, Tre might be there, but right now... Stones.

Tre, RJ, Justise, Zion, Jah

Reactions: dukephysics
Tyus - taking Tre would be purely recency bias in my opinion. Tyus is more of a legend among Duke fans than Okafor - who should have been national player of the year. You could make the argument that if picking the two most important players as captains, you'd pick Tyus and Zion from this list.
RJ. This one is the hardest for me. I just think RJ gets the edge on killer instinct.
Winslow. If I remember correctly, Justice came on more and more as the year went on. Hopefully Cam has a similar trajectory.
Zion. I'm in the camp of people who are amazed that choosing a player over Bagley is such an easy choice. I truly believe Bags would shatter the double-double record if he were on this team. But Zion is amazing.
Okafor. Jah was as polished offensively as anyone we've seen for a freshman. I really liked Carter's game, and I feel he would have excelled on any of the other recent squads, but I think some forget that Jah should have been NPOY. The only other guy on this list you could say that about is Zion.

Snubs ranked: Bagley, Tatum, Tre, Carter, Cam
The positionless squad: Tyus, RJ, Tatum, Zion, Bagley

Since I’ve seen some others stretch/twist the rules of the OP I’m going to do the same. lol

Tre-PG
Tyus-SG
Justise-SF
Zion-PF
Wendell-C

With that lineup we have 4 good to really good 3 point shooters and a really strong defense. Wendell and Zion would have a block party because Zion is averaging 2 bpg and Wendell averaged 2.1 bpg while he was at Duke and they would also rack up on rebounds because Zion is averaging 9.4 rpg and Wendell averaged 9.1 rpg while he was at Duke and Justise averaged 12.6 rpg while he was at Duke. Their rebounding totals add up to 31.1 rbg. That lineup would rack up a lot of assists too. If you add up theit assist averages while they were at Duke it would be 17.5 apg. They’d also average a lot of steals because Zion, Tre, Tyus and Justise steals averages while at Duke add up to 7 spg.

If I can bend the rules and take who I want, I've got
1. Tyus
2. Tatum
3. RJ
4. Zion
5. Bags

Hart—-PG (poor guard)
Dirt—-SG (smelly guard)
Sky—-SG (see Dirt)
Topps-PF (power eating forward)
Ipsy—-SF (**strange**forward)

All I want is my fair of shots and touches. OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
The one dukefanKY and Sky’s son have. Coin flip on RJ or Tatum. I like both lineups. Gun to my head, I take Tatum.

I think we are confusing NBA Tatum with college Tatum. Based on how they played in college, I'd take RJ. Better D, better overall offense. At least so far in their college career. The Tatum we saw in the ACCT would be the choice over RJ, no doubt. But to the same point in their college career, RJ is the choice.

Reactions: Mac9192
All I want is my fair of shots and touches. OFC

I also at my age must take advantage of the tools I've been blessed with. I hold, trip, knee, undercut, grab and if on the floor in a pIle up I gauge. Now some people would call me a dirty player but it all has to do with aging reflexes. :eek: OFC

I think we are confusing NBA Tatum with college Tatum. Based on how they played in college, I'd take RJ. Better D, better overall offense. At least so far in their college career. The Tatum we saw in the ACCT would be the choice over RJ, no doubt. But to the same point in their college career, RJ is the choice.

You debunked your own argument. Tatum gets a full body of work, in college, RJ does not. People will fondly remember Tatum’s run after December, as they should. He was incredible once he got his timing down after missing the early part of the season.

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT