ADVERTISEMENT

OT...wrestling legend passes away

smashmouth5

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Aug 25, 2001
I know we have some old school wrestling fans on the board.
RIP Mean Gene

Mean Gene was the best in the business. OFC

He was one of the very best.

Bob Einstein, aka Super Dave Osborne, also passed away today. Most recently, he’s played Marty Funkhouser on Curb Your Enthusiasm....or as Larry David liked to call him, The Big Funk.

Here’s one of my favorite Funkhouser scenes ever. Hilarious.

Reactions: skysdad
smashmouth5 glad you brought up Mean Gene.He will be greatly missed. He really helped keep the WWF (Now WWE) on an even keel during a really dark time for the organization (court reports of rampant steroid, drug use, etc). Gene stayed loyal, did an excellent job on interviews and was a steady presence guiding the ship.R.I.P. to one of the sport's best!

OFC

Off topic, but if you guys have a mobile device and want a fun little wrestling game, check out 80s wrestling mania. Fun little game where you book a fantasy Fed. Lots of 80s and 90s references.

Reactions: hart2chesson
I believe Sky was acquainted with Sgt Slaughter’s tag team partner. Don Kernodle.

Know Don very well. On a 1st. name basis with him. Knew him before he was a wrestler. Sgt. Slaughter was a customer of mine at one time. OFC

Remember once going to a Duke football game and I looked over to one of the center isle’s and there stood Duke president and former North Carolina governor Terry Sanford trying to look important.

No one was paying any attention to him. About that time I heard a commotion further down from where I was setting. I looked down and a excited crowd had gathered around a blond haired gentleman wearing sunglasses.

That gentleman turn out to be Rip Hawke. I’m sure a lot of you oldtimers are very familiar with who Rip Hawke was. Was good to see Rip out supporting the Blue Devils.

Remember once going to a Duke football game and I looked over to one of the center isle’s and there stood Duke president and former North Carolina governor Terry Sanford trying to look important.

No one was paying any attention to him. About that time I heard a commotion further down from where I was setting. I looked down and a excited crowd had gathered around a blond haired gentleman wearing sunglasses.

That gentleman turn out to be Rip Hawke. I’m sure a lot of you oldtimers are very familiar with who Rip Hawke was. Was good to see Rip out supporting the Blue Devils.

Swede Hanson was his tag team partner. They were always wrestling Johnny Weaver and George Becker. OFC

Reactions: wormyone42
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT