ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 6- Duke vs Oregon St

It’s got to be some kind of record . 26% shooting and won the game. Or in so and so years since . Something .

Rewatching the game highlights with some thoughts. Sorry if rambling.
1. Proctor gets bumped out the play by the OSU guard. He needs to get a LOT stronger.
2. Lively on O looks like he doesn't want the ball. He needs to demand it. Also getting bullied on D.
3. Whitehead with 2 nice early 3s. Encouraging.
4. Young catching the ball and going right up. Experience. Nice pass by Roach.
5. Flip with the spin and finger roll. Very nice.
6. Mitchell will be very good, but right now he's raw. Should probably come back for year two. Shouldn't shoot 3s. Suprised he had trouble getting his shot blocked today.
7. What's with the empty arena? No Coach K?
8. Whitehead baseline move and near dunk. I agree in a month it will go down.
9. Young gets the ball down low, it's over. Uses his body and angles well.
10. Blakes gets beat, Young puts Pope on the floor. Pope misses one FT. Nice. Young is our goon lol.
11. Great pass by Grandison to Flip for the and one when we were on the ropes.
12 .Flip is relentless. Great motor.
13. Under 2 minutes, Young rebound, passes back out. Very Zoubekian.
14. Roach with 2 horrible shots in the last 2 minutes. He needs to be better. Young bailed him out.

Last edited:
An ugly game. No one was good on offense. No one. Jon did a good coaching job by going with the best guys in the 2nd half. No Lively, Whitehead, or Mitchell. He coached the last 10 or so on feel.
Yeah it was almost surreal looking over at the bench at end and seeing Lively, Whitehead and Mitchell. Took guts K might not even would had. Kudos to Jon going with best he had today!

OFC

And an added bonus neither one of Lively, Whitehead, and Mitchell were seen sulking on the bench. They were cheering for their teammates.

Jon has really done a great job early in the season having the players buy into the team.

Last edited:
I read somewhere Coach K said he was going to stay out of the way and not be a distraction for Coach Scheyer.
Don't have the link but there was an article last week referencing K's role. They (K & Scheyer) meet after every game, and K brings his game notes in advisory role.
K still very much involved. OFC

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
It ain’t got nothing to do wit nothin but we’re just a terrible shooting team. Sound familiar. BUT we’re a good rebounding and defensive team . Sound unfamiliar

Reactions: hart2chesson
We might take an ass whooping tomorrow. I've watched Kansas a couple times since we played them, and they really aren't that good. We haven't proven a thing yet. Our drives are weak. Mitchell needs to go through guys and play strong. He is not a finesse player, and that's what he's been playing like lately. Young and Flip are the only ones who play through contact. We might just be an average team this year. I still hope Whitehead can be a good player, and I expect that he will improve a lot. But Lively, my expectations were very low offensively, and honestly he's worse on that end than I thought.

I do think we'll get a lot better throughout the year, and today was an especially bad shooting night, but we have loooong way to go.

With all due respect Jimbo, I believe Roach hit a clutch 15 footer in crunch time. The kid has been doing so since last season, specifically the tournament this past season. He also hit a big shot before the half with the shot clock going down in todays game.

Coach Scheyer trusts Roach with good reason to have the ball in his hands in crunch time.

Jimbo, I am not saying you are bashing Roach, I just don’t get why the kid still gets a lot of criticism thrown his way when he’s improved the whole time he’s been at Duke.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
Tim you speak the truth. We need to play better or go home. Oregon State is our best win so far, and they're the worst team in the Pac 12. Roach is a very good player, no doubt. But he needs to realize he is not J Will. He should not lead the team in shots. Other than Flip though, not many guys have stepped up in crunch time. We seem to be taking a lot of late in the shot clock bad shots. That is the PG's job. If not Roach than Proctor. Whitehead is the wildcard. If he comes on, that relieves a lot of pressure on Roach to be the man.

Last edited:
Chris, I agree, I would like to see Proctor, Blakes, and/or Whitehead get more confident in crunch time on offense. Neither one of them have shown they are ready for that responsibility yet, have to go with the experience at this point, until Proctor/Blakes/Whitehead step up. Duke has played 6 games so far, they‘ll get there….

Reactions: christophero
Time will tell, but I don’t recall a year like this with our roster. We have 2 elite freshmen 7 footers, a big man grad transfer, 2 freshmen elite wings, a grad guard/small forward, and 3 guards, with 2 of them being highly rated.
Playing time, and getting comfortable on the court might be an issue. Unless they don’t mind sitting if someone else is getting the job done.

Yes, and it's not even Roach's fault. Other guys vanish in crunch time, so he has to do too much. He needs help on the perimeter.
What other guys vanish in crunch time? Roach is your leader. At the end of any game you want the ball in his hand . Proctor just can’t play against stronger guards and the guy he was guarding was a tank and knew when to catch him off guard to draw the foul.
Lively was always known to have a defensive game but lacked offense. He was and is always going to be a work in progress.
Dukes shooting both threes and twos were horrendous . Blakes is simply in there for defense and defense only . He did his job coming off the bench . Right now Duke needs more out of Lively, Whitehead, Mitchell, Proctor and Grandison. As you saw today when Proctors in they are trying to let Roach play off ball. He’s either going to be a pg or combo but either way he needs to see the floor . It’s a work in progress for sure .

Reactions: bullcity gamer
Tomorrow will tell a lot. Win, and we're learning and improving. Lose, and it's a brutal road trip.
It’s Dukes sixth game . I don’t look for much to change over night . It’s like Lively and Mitchell are scared to play into contact . Tomorrow will tell a lot about Flip. Playing in two college games against good competition.

What other guys vanish in crunch time? Roach is your leader. At the end of any game you want the ball in his hand . Proctor just can’t play against stronger guards and the guy he was guarding was a tank and knew when to catch him off guard to draw the foul.
Lively was always known to have a defensive game but lacked offense. He was and is always going to be a work in progress.
Dukes shooting both threes and twos were horrendous . Blakes is simply in there for defense and defense only . He did his job coming off the bench . Right now Duke needs more out of Lively, Whitehead, Mitchell, Proctor and Grandison. As you saw today when Proctors in they are trying to let Roach play off ball. He’s either going to be a pg or combo but either way he needs to see the floor . It’s a work in progress for sure .
If Lively is a “work in progress” and is the top rated recruit what does that say about the rankings? I know, based on potential which would be fine if he were here two or three years. If he’s gone after one year maybe it’s time to reevaluate recruiting strategy. Wouldn’t be surprised if Young is just as valuable when it’s all said and done as a couple of our ballyhood recruits. Let’s face it: we have a great upside but right now we look like a bubble team

We all root for the same team. I may be in the minority here, but I am not worried about Duke being alright. I was at the game against Kansas, yeah it sucked for Duke to lose, but I didn’t walk out of the game upset, because I was seeing the potential in Game 3 for the Duke team and I’m pretty excited. As Mac alluded to earlier, Duke has not had the problem of having 9 guys who can challenge for minutes in a long time.

Duke returned 1 player, ONE, from a Final 4 team, better yet it was the floor general we were all hoping Coach K would insert into the starting lineup heading into post season play just months ago. When Duke returns point guards with experience they tend to do well. Tre Jones, Quinn Cook, Nolan Smith, Jon Scheyer all come to mind.

Duke’s defense is way ahead for this time of year compared to all of the recent one and done teams. I heard they are Top 10 in defensive efficiency in todays telecast.

The Lively and Whitehead criticism is a bit unfair imo. They are both coming off injuries and are still getting acclimated to playing the college game. Let’s not forget Banchero, Tatum, and Ingram all took awhile to get going with the college game, why should we be impatient with Lively and Whitehead when they are on a deeper Duke squad who can pick up the slack as they are continuing to heal?

I agree the offense is still very much a work in progress, but Dukes solid defense and ability to comfortably play 9 guys throughout the course of a game should quash any notion that Duke is a bubble team.

Kansas is a good team, they returned 2 starters from a national championship team in Harris and Wilson. Wilson is having a stellar year so far. Grady Dick can play and appears on course to be a one and done.

Unc has been challenged in just about every game they have played this season with the exception of a couple. Those guys returned 7 players from this past season and they have not looked leaps and bounds better than Duke. Today, they got Zero production from their bench.

Kentucky is in turmoil and without Oscar, they just aren’t a good team.

I rather have Duke’s ceiling than Kansas, Unc, and Kentucky’s.

Enjoy the process Blue Devils. Duke hasn’t even made it through November yet.

I think the Whitehead criticism is unfair. The Lively stuff though? Come on strong and none of this will matter. But the 4 points 0 rebound games need to improve. Lively is like freshman Mark Williams so far, but if he comes on like Williams did all is good. But not everyone does that. And we are relying on Lively more this year. I love Ryan Young, but if he is our starting 5 we are in trouble. We were perilously close to a humiliating loss today.

Last edited:
If Lively is a “work in progress” and is the top rated recruit what does that say about the rankings? I know, based on potential which would be fine if he were here two or three years. If he’s gone after one year maybe it’s time to reevaluate recruiting strategy. Wouldn’t be surprised if Young is just as valuable when it’s all said and done as a couple of our ballyhood recruits. Let’s face it: we have a great upside but right now we look like a bubble team
Yeah you’re right and Lively has been a little disappointing thus far.

Most people knew he wasn’t going to be an offensive threat - I personally had him pegged for a 7/10/3 guy. Just needed to fill in the Mark Williams role. His reb and def advanced stats so far are worse than Mark’s freshman year…although I acknowledge Mark blew up near the end of the year. We just need him to be more assertive on the boards and defensively IMO. My worry is that the “outside” pressure” from social media and talking heads will over analyze his offensive game, making him try to force things on the offensive side when he doesn’t need to. Just needs to focus on getting boards, altering shots, and getting his points in the fast break.

But yes, being the #1 recruit on whatever site was solely based on height and speed. Rankings can lead to unrealistic expectations. Honestly, Jared McCain will have better stats next year.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Bubble team is a bit extreme. But bad seed, and brutal bracket, is possible if we don't toughen up quickly.

Bubble team is a bit extreme. But bad seed, and brutal bracket, is possible if we don't toughen up quickly.
They’re one of the worst teams in the Pac 12 and they had two threes to take it into OT. Based on that, you could see this team’s losses piling up. The way they are playing right now. The learning curve will be swift we hope and the injuries minimal If the ball bounces the right way we could be a 3 or 4 seed. The deep rotation should help with fatigue come Feb and Mar but it may prolong the early season growing pains a little

Reactions: christophero
I think this year's team would lose to last year's team by 20. But that team had Roach, Williams and Moore. So we have more room to improve. Our freshman need to grow up quickly.

was occupied with family stuff...but seeing the box score...wtf....this team has some serious shooting issues for so many "high ranked" recruits. Maybe its an off night...but jacking 3's you cant make and going ofer on so many levels is troubling.....we have no point guard at this point...no one to run the team and create for others...just a bunch of kids who like to shoot...but arent good at it

With all due respect Jimbo, I believe Roach hit a clutch 15 footer in crunch time. The kid has been doing so since last season, specifically the tournament this past season. He also hit a big shot before the half with the shot clock going down in todays game.

Coach Scheyer trusts Roach with good reason to have the ball in his hands in crunch time.

Jimbo, I am not saying you are bashing Roach, I just don’t get why the kid still gets a lot of criticism thrown his way when he’s improved the whole time he’s been at Duke.
Certainly not bashing Roach in anyway. Having your hand on the ball during crunch time doesn't always need to end with you putting up a shot, and trying to break down a defender one on one, hense my hero ball comment.

It’s Dukes sixth game . I don’t look for much to change over night . It’s like Lively and Mitchell are scared to play into contact . Tomorrow will tell a lot about Flip. Playing in two college games against good competition.

Lively definitely does not want the contact.

Reactions: sheyduke
Y’all read the scouting report on Lively . He was rated so high due to being 7’1” with a ton of upside . He’s almost like Moore was coming out of high school . How would he adapt to the college game . The Mark Williams comparison is very good . Both hung around the perimeter more then they should have in high school. Mark is still developing an offensive game . If I’m Scheyer( and we all know I’m not) I’d tell Lively to play hard if you foul out oh well atleast begin to take the contact .

And based in what I’ve seen, he’s the only player that has any business declaring after the season
Through six games and two coming off injury? Let’s not act like Flip wasn’t rated the number two center and the number seven recruit . He had to learn to play through contact after the first two games. The thing bothering me is both Lively and Whitehead’s injury’s were lower calf and foot . Both used to get off the floor . If Lively isn’t 80 percent then role the dice and give Reeves some minutes I see where neither have separated their self from the other . Duke did pull his red shirt .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT