ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 6- Duke vs Oregon St

Why don’t we run a pick and roll or pick and pop with Roach and Filip? Why is it Roach and Ryan?

I don't need this kind of stress on Thanksgiving haha. One point lead. 2 minutes left.

This team will need to hang their hat on the fact that defense doesn't slump.

With Filip? No…he wasn’t at the five…..
Yes he was then who was the big Grandison? They went Young and Then rotated flip in for young . Good thing he didn’t put flip in with shooters around him Duke couldn’t buy a shot . Only ones scoring was Young and Flip until Grandisons two free throws.

Whew 3 point win. My thoughts.
1. Flip was incredible. 19 and 14.
2. Ditto Young. 11 and 15.
3. Our backcourt. Woof. Proctor 1 of 7. Roach 3 of 14. Mitchell 0-4. We are not going to win tomorrow playing like that.
Still survive and advance. Jon needs to sit down with Roach and have a talk.. He does not need to be taking 14 shots a game. I'll chalk it up to jet lag and have some turkey.

Last edited:
Whew 3 point win. My thoughts.
1. Flip was incredible. 19 and 14.
2. Ditto Young. 11 and 14.
3. Our backcourt. Woof. Proctor 1 of 7. Roach 3 of 14. Mitchell 0-4. We are not going to win tomorrow playing like that.
Still survive and advance. Jon needs to sit down with Roach and have a talk.. He does not need to be taking 14 shots a game.
The team as a whole is too passive . Grandison had the three but dribbled in to shoot a two for the miss. Lively and Mitchell need to play bully ball. That’s when Mitchell is at his best . Him shooting three’s is not his strong suit. Lively needs to find an edge .

We have a real problem with Mitchell, lively, proctor and maybe whitehead.. these guys outside of the first game for Mitchell have been no shows.

Reactions: christophero
Do you guys think that since we shot well last game, our guys thought they could do the same tonight and then fell in love with the 3 ball? Just a thought. Think it's just natural instinct for people in general to think that
It's early, but being a young team I think they will shoot better at home. I think we will be okay, but tonight proves that we can lose to anyone. Flip is the only freshman playing at a high level right now.

We have a real problem with Mitchell, lively, proctor and maybe whitehead.. these guys outside of the first game for Mitchell have been no shows.
I don’t think so . I think the zone to man threw a big wrench into the offense. They dared Duke to shoot while covering but also took away the driving lanes. Duke needed to be more aggressive on their drives and playing under the basket. . I think this team plays with way to much finesse. The game against Bellarmine was easy shooting because they were hardly covering the perimeter. Scheyer needs to tell them to grow a pair ..

Closer than we think:

Duke 64
OSU 61
Good call Fourteen. Brutal shooting by us - 5/29 from downtown. IMHO, Jeremy still looking to score first a bit too much, but he’s hardly the only one who couldn’t hit. Schutt, who seems pretty firmly entrenched on the bench, must be watching us shoot from outside and say “My misses aren’t any worse than those!”. Lively barely sniffing the floor, and Whitehead seems to have his shooting confidence but not hitting the shots to go with it. Flip and Young playing strong underneath, and they seem to play well together. To me, the best thing about this game is that we got in another down-to-the wire game, which should serve us well in the ACC and hopefully beyond. And in that regard, we hit our FTs all game long, including the deciding stretch.

I don’t think so . I think the zone to man threw a big wrench into the offense. They dared Duke to shoot while covering but also took away the driving lanes. Duke needed to be more aggressive on their drives and playing under the basket. . I think this team plays with way to much finesse. The game against Bellarmine was easy shooting because they were hardly covering the perimeter. Scheyer needs to tell them to grow a pair ..

I hope you’re right

Reactions: Fourteen44
Well, not pretty but congrats Jon for your first close win. Let's get our west coast legs and win tomorrow. Xavier (or Florida) will be a lot better.

Do you guys think that since we shot well last game, our guys thought they could do the same tonight and then fell in love with the 3 ball? Just a thought. Think it's just natural instinct for people in general to think that
I am not sure. One of the announcers kept saying that the constant shifts in defensive strategy was confusing Duke but a lot of those misses were pretty open shots. If they had been hitting at a reasonable rate, Oregon State would have ditched that zone for good. Maybe it was just one of those nights?

I was hoping we wouldn't lose, for obvious reasons. But mainly because we would have to play a better team tomorrow regardless.

Gritty win against Oregon State. The offense of course needs to improve significantly. The defense and rotation are solid for this early in the season.

Filipowski, Young, and Roach were men amongst boys today.

This game had a grind out Virginia type game feel to it. Duke faced adversity and handled crunch time well as opposed to the Kansas game.

I am not sure. One of the announcers kept saying that the constant shifts in defensive strategy was confusing Duke but a lot of those misses were pretty open shots. If they had been hitting at a reasonable rate, Oregon State would have ditched that zone for good. Maybe it was just one of those nights?
The shift in defense really messed with this young Duke team. Duke is going to see zones but it’s the fact they were able to break the zone and go to man back to zone while Duke tried to run offense. I thought it was smart for Oregon St. they could live with Duke hitting a three here and there as long as they took away the driving lanes. The offense needs work and the aggressive level needs to pick up .

On one hand, we won without getting very much from Lively, Mitchell, and Whitehead. Whitehead did hit those early 3s. On the other hand, we really have to start getting more out of those guys. I imagine at least Mitchell will bounce back tomm. Lively I'm not so sure about, and Whitehead was out for months.

Reactions: 9dukejames
I can tell you this team can’t throw it in the ocean lol. This team can’t shoot a lick. But they can rebound and play D with the best . I hate going against teams like us. It’s been forever or ever since I’ve seen us be that team. Reminds me of UNC or Kentucky who just annoy the hell out of you on the offensive boards, while you’re screaming “over the back”! Lol. I’ll take it .

Reactions: jeffrey236
On one hand, we won without getting very much from Lively, Mitchell, and Whitehead. Whitehead did hit those early 3s. On the other hand, we really have to start getting more out of those guys. I imagine at least Mitchell will bounce back tomm. Lively I'm not so sure about, and Whitehead was out for months.
Lively simply needs to quit playing timid. Mitchell wasn’t off his game they just took away his game . Whitehead will be fine . Pretty sure the message was sent to Lively by having him sit out almost the entire second half . Mitchell’s best offense is attacking the basket and finishing . They took away his jumper and he was less then his self on defense. Hate to be in the locker room after this game .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT