ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- game 6- Duke vs Oregon St

Yea, realizing that it is still very early, and injuries have factored into the equation, at this point, not all of our freshmen look like surefire 1st round draft picks. I am pretty confident that once Whitehead gets in game shape, he will join Flip as mainstays on both the defensive and offensive ends of the court. Years ago, I would have already stated with confidence that Lively, Mitchell and Proctor were not ready for the NBA. Now, who knows? Obviously, the potential is there, and the NBA loves potential.

The optimistic side of me says give it a couple of months and that ceiling for Duke will remain high.
The pragmatist in me says that we are going to suffer some head scratching, embarrassing losses while waiting on those guys to start reaching their potential.

Yea, realizing that it is still very early, and injuries have factored into the equation, at this point, not all of our freshmen look like surefire 1st round draft picks. I am pretty confident that once Whitehead gets in game shape, he will join Flip as mainstays on both the defensive and offensive ends of the court. Years ago, I would have already stated with confidence that Lively, Mitchell and Proctor were not ready for the NBA. Now, who knows? Obviously, the potential is there, and the NBA loves potential.

The optimistic side of me says give it a couple of months and that ceiling for Duke will remain high.
The pragmatist in me says that we are going to suffer some head scratching, embarrassing losses while waiting on those guys to start reaching their potential.

If all 5 declare then I officially will have lost all faith in Dukes recruiting methods…..

Y’all read the scouting report on Lively . He was rated so high due to being 7’1” with a ton of upside . He’s almost like Moore was coming out of high school . How would he adapt to the college game . The Mark Williams comparison is very good . Both hung around the perimeter more then they should have in high school. Mark is still developing an offensive game . If I’m Scheyer( and we all know I’m not) I’d tell Lively to play hard if you foul out oh well atleast begin to take the contact .
Great Advice. My prayer is someone else ain't in his ear telling him otherwise.

Big Mark learned by mid - season being close to the basket will get him a legit NBA deal. What I find interesting is how Flip is not necessarily close to the rim but manages to get all these rebounds 🤔?

Through six games and two coming off injury? Let’s not act like Flip wasn’t rated the number two center and the number seven recruit . He had to learn to play through contact after the first two games. The thing bothering me is both Lively and Whitehead’s injury’s were lower calf and foot . Both used to get off the floor . If Lively isn’t 80 percent then role the dice and give Reeves some minutes I see where neither have separated their self from the other . Duke did pull his red shirt .
Both guys remind me of Giles’ One year. Hampered by injury

Reactions: jamsession3
I looked back at some of Lively's high school highlights. He did show a decent 3 point set shot and a decent jump hook. So far he isn't even looking at the basket when he gets the ball outside of dunking range. I have to think the coaches will get on him to take a few shots just to keep the defense honest and maybe get to the FT line a little.

Reactions: christophero
Both guys remind me of Giles’ One year. Hampered by injury
Giles barely played at all. Lively and Whitehead are already logging minutes . Giles never recovered to who any one thought he would be .

I looked back at some of Lively's high school highlights. He did show a decent 3 point set shot and a decent jump hook. So far he isn't even looking at the basket when he gets the ball outside of dunking range. I have to think the coaches will get on him to take a few shots just to keep the defense honest and maybe get to the FT line a little.
No . Lively unless completely left open doesn’t need to shoot the three. He needs to just let the game come to him on the inside . If he’s not even doing a hook or a short jumper I don’t want him jacking up three’s.

Reactions: KDSTONE
Giles barely played at all. Lively and Whitehead are already logging minutes . Giles never recovered to who any one thought he would be .
Agreed. I’m not seeing much similarity between Giles and these two. Giles had major knee issues and was out for extended periods prior to Duke. These two, especially Lively, have less severe injuries that should not threaten their careers. If Giles never hurt his knees, he’d still be in the League, and possibly an all-star.

I don’t really follow the NBA. Is Giles still in the League?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT