ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday Thread- Game 3 Duke vs Kansas

Part of me thought we would lose. We're just so young. Disappointed in Grandison. Proctor showed promise. Roach was iffy down the stretch. Flip was great. We can be good, but we also could have 4 losses before Christmas. Nothing is guaranteed. A lot of moving parts. Can only hope we come together.

Part of me thought we would lose. We're just so young. Disappointed in Grandison. Proctor showed promise. Roach was iffy down the stretch. Flip was great. We can be good, but we also could have 4 losses before Christmas. Nothing is guaranteed a lot of moving parts. I can only hope we come together.
Grandison has been my biggest disappointment thus far. Young didn't play to his strengths; Roach forced the issue too much late. Flip was a man. Proctor gave a sample size of who he could be. We're young, it's a process, and I have faith in this coaching staff, and we have the horses to run the race, and it will just take time to figure it out.

I'm not even that disappointed. This team has done nothing to earn a top 10 ranking. Roach is the only guy back from the Final Four that played. That's it. We are a totally different team. We can be good, but we have some work to do. I'm not sure if Lively's injury is lingering. I'm glad Whitehead is coming back soon we need him.

Team has no dominant player on the roster. No Paolo or Zion or Ingram. Who do you go to when you have to have a basket? Which is what they needed the last 4 minutes when they blew a 5 point lead
Yup and with no outside shooters, Kansas just collapsed everytime Roach or anyone drove into the lane

I think we have several guys who can hit big shots, but right now, we're forcing it, and we're too tentative on offense at times. Roach is a guy who can take over. He did it last year on the biggest stage in March. Whitehead, Flip, Mitchell, and Proctor could be those guys too. But hey, at least we didn't almost lose to Gardner Webb at home!

Reactions: sheyduke
Hey a win is a win as they say, still would rather Duke be undefeated with bad wins against Gardner Webb or College of Charleston or UNCW. I also think Duke has a bunch of role players which is not bad but you need some star players. Roach is the closest Duke has to star player but unfortunately he is not there. Hopefully Whitehead is the answer.

Lively is the worst #1 recruit ever.
Lively is still favoring his calf strain. He’s not a fraction of how he can play . His timing is off on shot blocking and his rebounding right now it basically was his first real game and still isn’t starting that should tell you something.
A lot to take from this game. I think everyone knows my stance on Grandison.
Proctor and Mitchell are going to be fine . Duke has shooters but they got to hit three’s when they are open . Flip is coming into his confidence zone . Duke will be fine . Need to continue to talk on defense, really identify the offense and please continue to work on the rebounding.

If Proctor can really get going like he showed flashes of, I would like to see him with longer stretches of running the game while Roach sits. I think Roach killed us in the end and tried to hero ball a little too much.

Filipowski is the man. I said a few weeks ago that he was going to have a mediocre start to the season. Well, where's the waiter because I'm ready to be served some crow. 3 double-doubles to start the year, and a bit of attitude to go along with it (that I did not know he had). Awesome.

Would love to see Proctor - Whitehead - Mitchell - Flip - Lively. Very young lineup, but the most talented.

Edit: Also forgot to mention, that so far this year our free throw numbers have been good. That is huge, hope it continues on for the year because that will single handily win us a few games if we can shoot free throws at a high rate

I’m proud of the young pups! We didn’t get the win, but I expect this to be a work in progress team. We had the defending champs on the ropes. We could’ve been ran out of the building. Our defense is going to keep us in a lot of games and when Whitehead comes back, our offense will look better. I’m still optimistic about this team. There doesn’t seem to be any juggernauts this season which also helps.

To every Duke fan out there, the word for the season is PATIENCE! Have some! Have more than some!

Always stinks to lose, but I think we are a solid team and will be a contender all year. Have to get Dariq back, and Lively needs to keep getting more minutes. As others have said, disappointed in Grandison so far.

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
The biggest disappointments last night were the upper classmen....Young/Grandison were the 2 worst players on either team last night.. and Roach played 39 minutes, and had only had 1 assist? He just doesn't make anybody else better (there is no reason for him to take 18+ shots/game)....The "hero ball" mentality didn't work in the 1st half, and it certainly didn't work down the stretch...

Maybe maybe not, but he shot a lot in the tourney last year and we don’t get to the FF w/o it
Not trying to be that guy but outside of those ncaa tourney games he’s just too inconsistent. Hopefully proctor improves, he seems to see the court a lot better

His inconsistency is ridiculous, particularly given his experience.

And he should never take 17 shots in any game.

Not sure who else on the team would have been better last night taking more of those shots away from Roach, it's not like our other players were lighting it up. Maybe Proctor? but he's had his struggles as well and my guess is that if he had 17 shots there would be posts about him being a bust. Mitchell struggled in most facets of the game last night and I don't think he would have been a better option given how he was playing.
Roach was pretty effective at getting into the paint and made some nice finishes just like he did in the NCAA tournament. He's shown now that he can be quick off the dribble. He did, however, take some rushed/forced shots and drives as well and he was not good down the stretch at all. I think he is a very good starting guard but probably shouldn't be asked to be the main scorer, but there actually has to be other guys on the team who step up into that role and make plays, which just wasn't happening last night.

Last edited:
Pleasantly surprised and disappointed at the same time...up 1 then a sequence of self-inflicted errors that lead to KS taking the lead and extending. The big difference was they had poise and Wilson...we seemed to be frenetic and had no leader..sounds familiar in late game situations. I expected a bigger loss but the game showed we have pieces just not put together yet. One glaring hole is 3pt shooting...we still dont have that reliable threat, and thats needed for deep runs in the NCAA

As much as I like Young; he's probably more of 10-15 minute guy than a 20 minute guy in a game like this. Grandison needs to give us more, and I think he will. Kansas was smart and anticipated Mitchell driving to the hoop. I think we played fine; Whitehead coming back soon. Roach looked like he was tired down the stretch. The only thing that bothers me is we seem to have trouble in big, close games in the last few minutes lately. Hopefully this team learns how to grind out big games on the big stage. Not sure how good Kansas is; they look like a Sweet 16 team. This is not the same team that won the title. We just need to get healthy and get more practice as a team.

Last edited:
Lively is still favoring his calf strain. He’s not a fraction of how he can play . His timing is off on shot blocking and his rebounding right now it basically was his first real game and still isn’t starting that should tell you something.
A lot to take from this game. I think everyone knows my stance on Grandison.
Proctor and Mitchell are going to be fine . Duke has shooters but they got to hit three’s when they are open . Flip is coming into his confidence zone . Duke will be fine . Need to continue to talk on defense, really identify the offense and please continue to work on the rebounding.
Who are the shooters? I do not think we have had a decent 3-point shooting night yet. I would not include Grandison among the shooters. OFC

Last edited:
That is what good teams are going to do. They were just waiting for mitchell to barrel into them.

Team has no dominant player on the roster. No Paolo or Zion or Ingram. Who do you go to when you have to have a basket? Which is what they needed the last 4 minutes when they blew a 5 point lead
Roach, Blakes and Proctor will develop into players that can get you a basket. Lively is tall and long, but I do not see him being dominant. Flip is playing relaxed with no pressure. Mitchell must slow down. Young must play to his strengths and do nothing extra. He must realize that his skill is something few players have in 2022. Whitehead may be the answer, but he will need to gel with the team. Grandison is the old man with wisdom. If he gets into double figures, GREAT. However, anything he contributes is extra.

I was upset last night for the loss, but I had to understand we are young and did not know how to close out the game. Wilson, Grady and Kansas just wanted it more. We will see more players like Grady and Wilson, so we need to watch film and step up!

Were we really 3 of 21? Woof.
I have to believe that stat is an outlier. Other than not being happy with the last few minutes collapse, I am happy to chalk it up as a learning experience for a new team very early in the year. Get Lively and Whitehead in game shape and we will start to have a better idea of this team's potential. Should have a fairly easy road ahead for a while as those two get incorporated into the team. I still believe it will be a formidable team in time for March.

Yeah Duke should be fine once they get Whitehead back. He would of been the difference yesterday if he was able to play. Think about it we should of beat them even without him. With him there is no question I think Duke wins that game. We just needed some baskets or points down the stretch to keep that lead and they weren’t able to do that. On to the next game and get better.

We don't really run plays at the end of tight games. We either drive to the hoop or jack up threes. Something to work on, but it seems to come with the territory with young teams. I had no confidence when Kansas tied the game late. It felt like our only chance was to get a decent lead and hang on. Maybe Whitehead can be our go to guy. Plenty of room for us to improve.

Last edited:
Who are the shooters? I do not think we have had a decent 3-point shooting night yet. I would not include Grandison among the shooters. OFC
You must not read here much because I think I’m the most critical poster on Grandison. You have Blakes, Proctor, Roach, Flip, and Whitehead. The issue is they have to hit open shots . No team is going to let Duke shoot from three. They will take them driving the lane all day long ( Kansas showed that weakness). Let Duke hit five threes a game and teams defenses will have to cover shooters and the lanes .

I mentioned this probably wasn’t the game for young at all. I don’t care what no one says that wasn’t a travel on him. His pivot never lifted .

Reactions: bleediteveryday30
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT