ADVERTISEMENT

Official Gameday thread- duke at VT

I’m a Steelers fan and it’s like watching all the Tomlin defenders….Dude took a Super Bowl team to a superbowl and can live on it forever.

He has only won three playoff games in twelve years since they all retired and hasn’t won a playoff game in seven years now.

But he’s never had a losing season and finishes 9-8 better than anyone! Whoop D Fricken Do…

The standard of the organization has totally regressed from playoffs to non losing seasons. I’d trade Tomlin for a box of popcorn….
Well, if you don't get the Duke job there's always the NFL.

But Duke has the number one facilities . So why with the number one in everything are the injuries continue to pile up ?
It’s a great question. My guess is that it’s something they are doing in training.

I couldn’t answer it without knowing all the ins and outs but it should be looked at.

I’d almost guess it’s something in the weight room, but it could literally be a million things right up to our brand of shoes.

No team in the country has the issues we have continually year to year.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
It’s a great question. My guess is that it’s something they are doing in training.

I couldn’t answer it without knowing all the ins and outs but it should be looked at.

I’d almost guess it’s something in the weight room, but it could literally be a million things right up to our brand of shoes.

But did they not happen under K as well? All lower leg injuries most the time ? Now the shoe. There is definitely something there to look at.

I saw it live. I just get tired of you bad mouthing Coach Scheyer 90% of the time.
Well he should make wiser decisions then. I literally called for the substitution during the timeout and he rolled out with Young….it was dumb.

Maybe we get scored on but it wouldn’t have been because Lively got blown by at the three point line collapsing our entire D with the game on the line.

But did they not happen under K as well? All lower leg injuries most the time ? Now the shoe. There is definitely something there to look at.
Yes they did….it’s something happening in the program….but I don’t know what.

Well he should make wiser decisions then. I literally called for the substitution during the timeout and he rolled out with Young….it was dumb.

Maybe we get scored on but it wouldn’t have been because Lively got blown by at the three point line collapsing our entire D with the game on the line.
Yes but their big could easily role to the basket while lively guards the perimeter on the switch . There is a reason he went at Young and you pointed it out , he’s not a shot Blocker .

Honestly it doesn’t matter…if we got the stop we would have had to score anyways 😂😂 and considering it’s the worst scoring Duke team since the 60s it most likely wouldn’t have happened.

Honestly I think I’m calling it a season…this team sucks and Scheyer doesn’t impress me at all….it’s not even fun to watch Duke play.

I had hope we could get better but we aren’t…we haven’t developed one single thing that is better than it was in November….not one single thing.

This team isn’t making the tournament…

With the number one rated high school class, best facilities, best connections, number one brand in all of college basketball…

A reasonable expectation is to make the tournament.

Saturday is must win…and if they lose they will not make it.

We had a chance and needed one stop. We left Ryan in instead of Lively on defense and he got beat off the dribble…the entire defense broke down from that and they scored.

It’s coaching malpractice not to have had our best defensive lineup in to get a stop….oh and we had a timeout to use if we got it to substitute in for the last shot.

I know not to have Young on the floor for a stop at the end…go back and watch him get blown by….it’s bad coaching….

Maybe he would make the tournament then? Or maybe he needs something better than the number 1 of everything? Facilities, Brand, Support, Players??

If he had me Lively wouldn’t have been on the bench on D…it’s the only thing he does well.

Wait till UNC steamrolls us twice….it’s gonna happen.

So a reasonable expectation isn’t making the tournament?

Is this even Duke anymore??

And stop with injuries…there isn’t another program in the entire country that has as many injuries as a Duke year after year.

We continually have players hurt….bring in new players only to have them hurt….bring in new players and have them hurt…

When is the last time we didn’t talk about all the Duke injuries?

Maybe something in the program needs looked at as to why our guys are continually hurt Year after year after year.

We literally talk about it every single year.

He should easily make the tournament IMO….anything less is a disaster. This should be the absolute lowest of standards at Duke.

I’m a Steelers fan and it’s like watching all the Tomlin defenders….Dude took a Super Bowl team to a superbowl and can live on it forever.

He has only won three playoff games in twelve years since they all retired and hasn’t won a playoff game in seven years now.

But he’s never had a losing season and finishes 9-8 better than anyone! Whoop D Fricken Do…

The standard of the organization has totally regressed from playoffs to non losing seasons. I’d trade Tomlin for a box of popcorn….

Yes they did….it’s something happening in the program….but I don’t know what.
Yikes! Put the bottle down and go to bed. Be better ffs this is exactly why people make fun of uncheat fans. Embarrassing!

Could it be something as simple as stretching prior to working out ?
Yeah it could… but it’s all a guessing game….

I read somewhere awhile back that Dukes Strength guy wasn’t the best and known for doing some absurd weight and things with guys….like he’s way old school. I thought it weird being Duke….who really knows.

I don’t know if that’s why….just read it somewhere a long time ago.

3 and 3 in our last 6. We are trading wins and losses. Thats more important than 14 and 6 right now.
To be honest , I don’t see anything being fixed by Saturday.
People forget . Young was brought in to come off the bench . He’s started most the year. I think A’s fans we just need to let the season play out . There is nothing we can do to change it .

Yeah it could… but it’s all a guessing game….

I read somewhere awhile back that Dukes Strength guy wasn’t the best and known for doing some absurd weight and things with guys….like he’s way old school. I thought it weird being Duke….who really knows.

I don’t know if that’s why….just read it somewhere a long time ago.
But didn’t Scheyer switch to that new hyper barrack method ?

Hate to say it but these injuries might have a lot to do with laid back practices. Something tells me Duke isn’t practicing how you should play .

Reactions: pisgah101
I’ll predict…..

Win @ GT
Win @ Wake
Loss vs UNC
Loss vs Miami
Loss vs virginia
Win vs ND
Loss vs Syracuse
Win vs Louisville
Win vs VT
Loss vs State
Loss vs UNC

5-6 in our last 11.

Young Team, Young Coach...the competition this year is just older and mature, not necessarily more talented. Sadly, talent does not always equal to wins, it makes for a good conversation about potential.

I would like to see Duke stick with a line up instead of four minute intervals . That four guard line up with Young on the floor was head scratching but it’s time for Scheyer to throw something and ask what the heck .

Reactions: jamsession3
I still think we should make the tournament. Now maybe as a 9 or 10 seed, but as long as we get to 20 wins, should be fine. Looking back on last year's bracket- plenty of teams in there with 11-13 losses. We do have a few quality wins so far too.

We for sure need to win these next two.

We will make the tourney.
We’re currently tied for 8th in the ACC and just lost to one of the teams below us. One of the teams we’re tied with threw a big beat down on us. If Selection Sunday was this week, we wouldn’t be close to going. While I remain hopeful, there’s nothing to cause me to be optimistic.

Reactions: Fourteen44
I would like to see Duke stick with a line up instead of four minute intervals . That four guard line up with Young on the floor was head scratching but it’s time for Scheyer to throw something and ask what the heck .
Funny you say that cause lots of Duke fans who wanted K to play a deeper bench are getting exactly what they’ve asked for. I even asked those same fans if we played more players, will you have the patience to deal with losses while we develop 8-9 players instead of 5-6 and everyone said yeah. Well, they lied. K won a lot cause he played his best players a lot even though fans wanted him to play 9-10 players. K’s way was high risk/high reward but it seemed to work more often than not (5 natty’s, 13 FF, 1200+ wins). But what do fans know?

It appeared that the Va Tech guy had turned around to face Flip before he threw the "punch", so at the very least it was very careless. Considering that they are routinely calling at least Flagrant 1's when there is a harmless elbow swung inadvertently, I don't see how that was not a Flagrant foul.

I know Scheyer couldn't risk a technical in that situation but I do feel he needs to blow up at the refs at some point. He is getting disrespected out there.

We’re currently tied for 8th in the ACC and just lost to one of the teams below us. One of the teams we’re tied with threw a big beat down on us. If Selection Sunday was this week, we wouldn’t be close to going. While I remain hopeful, there’s nothing to cause me to be optimistic.
They have to take 68 and Duke would be in as of today

It appeared that the Va Tech guy had turned around to face Flip before he threw the "punch", so at the very least it was very careless. Considering that they are routinely calling at least Flagrant 1's when there is a harmless elbow swung inadvertently, I don't see how that was not a Flagrant foul.

I know Scheyer couldn't risk a technical in that situation but I do feel he needs to blow up at the refs at some point. He is getting disrespected out there.
Liftee you are right on the money:

Jon does need to get more demonstrative, agreed. OFC

I know Scheyer couldn't risk a technical in that situation, but I do feel he needs to blow up at the refs at some point. He is getting disrespected out there.
I think that if it had occurred earlier in the game that a Flagrant 1 would have probably been called. Not a good reason, but I think that the refs were reluctant to make the call late in a tight game in front of a home crowd. I was not shocked at the loss as I figured that it would be a tough game, but I do think that it hurt badly when Whitehead was injured. Not only was he playing well but his absence was felt depth-wise. I have no idea what the injury was, but it is quite possible that his play for Duke is done for the season.

This team is not ready for prime time, on the road at least. I feel last nite was gifted, as was Clemson. I am no expert, but I want someone other than Proctor taking the big shots at the end. I know he hit one in the clutch, but the other didn't even have a chance.

I still think Schutt needs to play, Grandison gave us nothing last nite. We need more 3 pt shooting threats. It's getting later in the season though and K (oops), Scheyer seems settled on his rotation. Btw, I know he's masked right now but Blakes has been awful lately. Thank God for Flip. Prayers up for Dariq. OFC

I don’t mind the deep rotation as long as players are staying . My point is we’ve seen so many line ups it’s unreal . Scheyer is shorting his bench a little now but players have to make shots .

This team is not ready for prime time, on the road at least. I feel last nite was gifted, as was Clemson. I am no expert, but I want someone other than Proctor taking the big shots at the end. I know he hit one in the clutch, but the other didn't even have a chance.

I still think Schutt needs to play, Grandison gave us nothing last nite. We need more 3 pt shooting threats. It's getting later in the season though and K (oops), Scheyer seems settled on his rotation. Btw, I know he's masked right now but Blakes has been awful lately. Thank God for Flip. Prayers up for Dariq. OFC
Blakes is a defensive player. Any points he gives Duke is a plus . He went from being invisible to the best defender on this team this year

Reactions: jamsession3
Lots of hoops left.
Start winning streak in March.
I won't be surprised.
Then I will post here "I told you so"
&
Next%20Big%2012%20Champs_zpsq91cjk2r.png

That lineup was definitely about scoring and picking up the pace. Outside of Young, we lack that post player that can get us either an easy basket or foul. We're a team that drives to the basket. Even if we had a guard that could post it would help. The lack of 'consistent' 3pt shooting plays a role too. It's just a young team that needs to mature emotionally and team wise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT