ADVERTISEMENT

NIL....i fear this is just the start

denverexpat

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 1, 2006
Maybe it used to happen behind the scenes ( at least I could not see it ignorance is bliss!), but now with NIL it's front and center. Personally, I don't like where this is headed but it cannot be stopped, that genie is out of the bottle. My hope is that it does not overwhelm the game I love and that CBB does not become more of the NBA waiting room than it resembles today
I'm old school I guess.

Reactions: KDSTONE and Ndnyg39
Maybe it used to happen behind the scenes ( at least I could not see it ignorance is bliss!), but now with NIL it's front and center. Personally, I don't like where this is headed but it cannot be stopped, that genie is out of the bottle. My hope is that it does not overwhelm the game I love and that CBB does not become more of the NBA waiting room than it resembles today
I'm old school I guess.

Kentucky players probably have mixed emotions about nil. Before nil they were paid and didn’t pay taxes on it.

One thing these kids need to remember that I think is going to hit sooner or later. If your not being talked about or your not producing sponsors may begin to back away . But let’s face it , the majority of players making the big NIL endorsements should be able to go straight to the league they are only going to be in college for six months .

I love it. As long as the stay eligible and produce on the court, I couldn't care less what type of endorsements or how much money they get off the court.

Reactions: youngman42
I'm all for it. It's about the only way to prevent the college game from getting completely watered down at this point.
Heard ou quarterback spencer rattler was given two brand new vehicles by local dodge dealership and he has been benched and barring injury may never start another game. Oops

Reactions: geddoughton23
I'm old school I guess.

College has always been an NBA waiting room. Some just waited longer than others. The goal has been NBA for these players

I love it. As long as the stay eligible and produce on the court, I couldn't care less what type of endorsements or how much money they get off the court.
Yeah, but how many will be kept academically eligible by enrolling in bogus classes (a la UNCheat)? At that point, it becomes a big joke.

Reactions: sheyduke
NIL will play to Duke... or UK... or Kansas... in a BIG way. It is going to cause more of a separation of the "haves" and the "have nots", Part of the recruiting pitch will involve TV scheduling and viewer rating numbers. I think this will accelerate the destruction of college athletics.

I wish that the funds that are derived by NIL would be put in some sort of trust fund -- the longer you stay the bigger the payout. Graduate and you get the biggest payout. The 1-and-done guys will not be interested, but all the other athletes have just been given more opportunities to screw up their futures.

I am not optimistic.

Reactions: denverexpat
NIL will play to Duke... or UK... or Kansas... in a BIG way. It is going to cause more of a separation of the "haves" and the "have nots", Part of the recruiting pitch will involve TV scheduling and viewer rating numbers. I think this will accelerate the destruction of college athletics.

I wish that the funds that are derived by NIL would be put in some sort of trust fund -- the longer you stay the bigger the payout. Graduate and you get the biggest payout. The 1-and-done guys will not be interested, but all the other athletes have just been given more opportunities to screw up their futures.

I am not optimistic.
Not really . The biggest pay out so far was to master P’s son and he went to a non blue blood school.
I just think it will have the kids who are thinking about leaving who are border line second round picks into staying .

A guy like Steward might have returned, although he did seem hell bent on declaring. And Keels probably goes to Nova if Steward returned.

I find it hard to believe that a kid that’s not a “star” will benefit from this. It’s a lot to sort out, but I’m not optimistic this will be anything positive for the college game.

Most of these kids aren’t ready to be adults, and throwing money at them while in college to me, is gas on an already burning fire.

Reactions: KDSTONE
It’s just a Porsche lol the 4th string QB at Ohio State makes 1.4 million! Kid doesn’t even travel for road games lol

I hope you are right. But I just saw Keels at 20 on a mock draft.
Was it NBADRAFT .com? They had Moore at the same his freshman year. Let’s let the season play out. Hurt was the same his freshman year how did that play out? A lot of basketball to be played before I’m sure he’s gone.

Not really . The biggest pay out so far was to master P’s son and he went to a non blue blood school.
I just think it will have the kids who are thinking about leaving who are border line second round picks into staying .
But in order to stay, you have to be eligible -- I might be projecting my own experience in college, but if I had a Porsche as a freshman it probably would not have helped my grades. And I am not talking about the biggest payouts, I am talking about the majority. Bigger schools, more televised, bigger fan bases will have an even bigger advantage than they already have.... and "yes" I am a Duke fan.

But in order to stay, you have to be eligible -- I might be projecting my own experience in college, but if I had a Porsche as a freshman it probably would not have helped my grades. And I am not talking about the biggest payouts, I am talking about the majority. Bigger schools, more televised, bigger fan bases will have an even bigger advantage than they already have.... and "yes" I am a Duke fan.
So this should help keep college basketball instead of becoming an NBA training camp. But I see what your getting at. One would think college kids still have to be academically qualified in order to benefit off NIL.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
@sheyduke -- I think we mostly agree here. And I agree, NIL will probably help some from staying out of NBA camp -- I just don't think it will help them stay to get their college degree. There has got to be a lawyer or two that reads these posts -- are the NIL deals 1-off agreements between athlete and sponsors? If that is the case, there is probably no legal requirement to stay academically eligible.

I am just brushing close to the "Old Fart Club" and topics like this seem to suggest I'm already there.

@sheyduke -- I think we mostly agree here. And I agree, NIL will probably help some from staying out of NBA camp -- I just don't think it will help them stay to get their college degree. There has got to be a lawyer or two that reads these posts -- are the NIL deals 1-off agreements between athlete and sponsors? If that is the case, there is probably no legal requirement to stay academically eligible.

I am just brushing close to the "Old Fart Club" and topics like this seem to suggest I'm already there.
You're on solid ground here. It's naive to think that there won't be any unintended consequences.

Reactions: sheyduke
You're on solid ground here. It's naive to think that there won't be any unintended consequences.
I agree. I wonder if the player can be fined for showing up late to practice, team meetings due to NIL agreements like say filming a commercial?

Prob so. I hate it that when things are changing and not for the better we’re all meant to be Eastwood in Gran Torino but I hear what you’re saying

The only concern I have is discontent from some players. But I don't think it will be as big a deal on a basketball team like Duke. If a player getting a big payday is smart - and the coaches need to instill this - he will spread some wealth.

But even without NIL, discontent is a problem b/c of the new transfer portal where a player can go straight to another school if he is not happy with the coach or PT.

But I agree that I think it will help some players stay an extra year - and that's a plus for the college game and Duke in particular. Way, way too many Duke players have declared prematurely; only to see them not get drafted or wind up in the D-league or Europe. If a freshman or sophomore "name" player can get a nice financial bonus, and is borderline round 1 or round 2, there is a better chance he will stay.

So, while there will be growing pains and occasional issues; overall I think it's a positive for CBB and Duke.

I hope a gas card comes with that. I’m sure it could be arranged.

Reactions: LTDukeFan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT