ADVERTISEMENT

Michael Gbinije

jamsession3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2005
This kid is showing up this year. Yes, I know, 3 games. However, the maturity and leadership is being demonstrated, 18.3pts 3.7rbs 3.3ass 3.0steals. One could also say he's a grown man playing with and against boys:( ;).

He along with the rest of the transfers throughout the years did what they thought was best for them. If he along with Alex and Semi if they had stayed then our team roster would look different. And I feel that Coach never promises a recruit anything other than if they deserve PT they will get it. You have to remember also even though you may indeed giving it 100 % in practice and games there may be other players that are just a bit more ready and qualified for that PT Every recruit knows this when they commit to Duke. OFC

Reactions: dbav
I think it's safe to say Gbinije would not have been a primary ball handler at Duke like he has been at Syracuse. Boeheim has used him more like a combo guard (like how we used Scheyer). Had he stayed at Duke he would have played the 3 and maybe some at the 2. It would have been interesting to see him finish out at Duke but ultimately I think he made the right decision.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mike G. wouldn't even be here at this point if he stayed at Duke -- as he would have exhausted his eligibility last season. He came in with Marshall Plumlee, who redshirted his freshman year. I really liked his talent level as a young player and wish he had stuck it out. Probably could have helped the 12-13 and 13-14 teams. With that said, not sure this is an example that would suggest a mistake was made in how he was used. Mike G. couldn't even a starting job as a RS Soph. and really only earned a prominent role on a bad Syracuse team last year. This is the first year where he's actually playing like an all-conference player. Who knows what exactly went into Mike G's decision to leave -- but the decision to transfer to Syracuse clearly didn't expedite the process towards stardom. If anything, it affirmed that Mike G. needed time.

One thing to keep in mind is that Mike G. wouldn't even be here at this point if he stayed at Duke -- as he would have exhausted his eligibility last season. He came in with Marshall Plumlee, who redshirted his freshman year. I really liked his talent level as a young player and wish he had stuck it out. Probably could have helped the 12-13 and 13-14 teams. With that said, not sure this is an example that would suggest a mistake was made in how he was used. Mike G. couldn't even a starting job as a RS Soph. and really only earned a prominent role on a bad Syracuse team last year. This is the first year where he's actually playing like an all-conference player. Who knows what exactly went into Mike G's decision to leave -- but the decision to transfer to Syracuse clearly didn't expedite the process towards stardom. If anything, it affirmed that Mike G. needed time.

I agree, but I also think this was coming. The issues with Mike and Cuse that has allowed him to be successful are players going pro and transfers. His timing was perfect. I do not think that was available at Duke.

He's having a very good season. Just don't want him to have a good game against us. Syracuse has a pretty darn good team this year. They will be tough to deal with. OFC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT