ADVERTISEMENT

Lance learned how to play Bball at Duke

jamsession3

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Dec 4, 2005
This kid will be in the league for at least 10 years. The small things has got him on the team. Playing time and production will get him the money! Proud of you Lance Thomas....

Being a lottery pick is good for 3 years of money...being a Duke player gets you a pension!

Did not see your thread earlier when I posted another Lance thread. He reminds me of Richard Jefferson who has been around many years.

Do you guys remember how skinny he was coming in to Duke? The kid has obviously put a lot of work not only on his game but his body as well. Go get 'em Lance.

I look at it this way, Lance Thomas has worked his butt off and as of today, he's averaging 8.3 PPG. Then I look at the inflated college numbers of Tyler Hansblow and he's averaging a whopping 2.0 PPG.

Funny how Hansblow put up big numbers in college, but clearly learned very little under Roy. Thomas learns how to have a nice career in the NBA under K.

I think it's obvious who the better developer of talent really is.

Lance Thomas earned a spot at Duke after we struck out with some others and after he impressed K during a last minute meeting. That really worked out for everyone! Goes to show, you just never know.

Lance Thomas earned a spot at Duke after we struck out with some others and after he impressed K during a last minute meeting. That really worked out for everyone! Goes to show, you just never know.

Great point

Before it's over I believe he will be one of the all time greatest knick players.

Come on guys he's only still in the league and scoring because he took the jewelry! Hahaha

I look at it this way, Lance Thomas has worked his butt off and as of today, he's averaging 8.3 PPG. Then I look at the inflated college numbers of Tyler Hansblow and he's averaging a whopping 2.0 PPG.

Funny how Hansblow put up big numbers in college, but clearly learned very little under Roy. Thomas learns how to have a nice career in the NBA under K.

Hans sucks; regarding Thomas, Duke certainly would not have gotten to the FF without his 9 offensive rebounds in the game against Baylor. I still remember blurting a few expletives on his putback dunk and-one to ice the game.

Hansbrough has actually probably had the better career to this point.

Hansbrough was a potential lottery pick...Lance wasnt even thought about as having a NBA carreer. Hansbrough is a disappointment while Lance is by no means tearing it up, I give him huge props for busting his to make it where he is and am proud of the guy.

Hansbrough was a potential lottery pick...Lance wasnt even thought about as having a NBA carreer. Hansbrough is a disappointment while Lance is by no means tearing it up, I give him huge props for busting his to make it where he is and am proud of the guy.
He was a lottery pick, and one that Bird forever regretted. Hansbrough can take that with him for as long as he rides the bench in the NBA.

Duke has had some of the same kind of players over the years.

Hansbrough, somewhat like Nolan Smith, is just extremely undersized for his natural position in the NBA. It has nothing to do with Duke or UNC.

Lastly, players develop at different rates, but even more importantly, the styles of play in college and the NBA better fit certain players. The two examples I used above were both All-Americans and national champions in college. If anything, what Duje and UNC did to get them drafted in the first round and get guaranteed money for them should be viewed as a positive and not a negative.

Hansbrough has actually probably had the better career to this point.

I can agree with this...but I wouldn't say it's by much. Lance is averaging 7.3 PPG this season and 4.7 for his career...while Hans is 2.0 PPG this season and 7.2 for his career.

There is more to the game than just points, but Hans is also a terrible defender as well. While Hans has the better career, it's not by much. And we're also talking about UNC's all-time leading scorer compared to Lance who averaged 4.6 PPG at Duke.

Quite ironic that a relatively unheralded Duke player has turned into a key contributor for the Knicks, considering Phil Jackson's completely moronic comments this past offseason.

Also, Lance essentially won the game the other night against the Raptors. Even hit 3 3-pointers.

Well, Lance is kind of the exception....and not the rule. He isn't the first unexpected player to carve out a niche in the NBA. I think more than anything, especially what school he did or didn't attend, is that obviously Lance has worked extremely hard and been able to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to him.

The NBA is a very cutthroat business, and sometimes it's about being in the right place at the right time. I'd rather celebrate Lance for what he's accomplished than draw in outside comparisons for what they haven't.

When you're Duke, UNC, UK, etc. you're always going to have guys playing at a high level in the NBA, but you're also much more susceptible to guys who don't live up to the standards expected out of them.

I think more than anything, especially what school he did or didn't attend, is that obviously Lance has worked extremely hard and been able to take advantage of the opportunities afforded to him.
I would argue that Duke certainly helped both Lance's work ethic and his subsequent opportunities. Not saying Lance wasn't a hard worker before he was a Blue Devil, but even NBA players readily admit a different level of commitment and intensity in their games after learning under Coach K. As for the opportunities he's been able to take advantage of, I don't think it's a coincidence (even when I set my pro-Duke bias aside) that professional teams are more willing to take a chance on a Duke guy as opposed to a kid who went elsewhere.

I don't disagree....but I think you'd agree with me that for some players it doesn't matter if they're the hardest worker out there. It may just not be meant to be.

As much as I couldn't stand the guy at UNC, it was evident that few players in college worked as hard as Hansbrough on the court. He was a maniac. I don't think he forgot what it means to work hard once he left their program, I just think some of his deficiencies finally caught up to him. Same with Nolan.

Reactions: Mark Gastineau
We could make a very long list of college stars who didn't make it in the NBA, including some POY candidates like Morrison and Fredette. It's no negative reflection on guys like Tyler or Nolan. And I agree with DJ: as much as I rooted against Tyler, there's no way you could criticize his effort.

The NBA is such a different game more fluid and fast. Lance has great length, intangibles, and work ethic. He gives 100 percent everytime he hits floor, and he also has a good basketball IQ. He to this day is the best defender I have ever seen at wedging against guards on screen and rolls. Its kind of funny how Duke is notorious for not developing big men (atleast the Doug Gottliebs of the world) have so many of their recent bigs on NBA rosters today.

Tyler Hansbrough was great college basketball player from day one. But like most UNC players dont have much of a ceiling maybe with the exception of John Henson and Green from San Antonio.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT