ADVERTISEMENT

Khaman Maluach

If we have to portal for a guard we’ll be fine.. it will be WAY easier to add a PG to this group then a big last yr

I have faith that Coach Scheyer knows what he needs for next year. I've seen Shedrick a few times and I'm not sure he would have been that much better than Young, considering what Young has done lately.

Next year is the perfect time for Jon to shoot for the stars and go hard for a stud PG in the portal. Duke would be lethal.

1. I’m still all in on this year, let’s win the title and then who cares, everyone can leave for that matter, Flagg will be good enough to carry us himself.
2. Based on our recruiting. Jon must definitely expect a year 2 from Foster. I think McCain is 100% gone, Roach too. I’d bet Proctor being gone too. Not sure Blakes will ever be anything more than an 8th guy. Maybe we land a transfer SG if Proctor leaves? There will be many good ones available. Can Evan’s play the 2? Even if he can, we need another guard IMO.
3. The glut of bigs and wings we are bringing in tells me Flip and Mitchell are gone, probbaly Reeves too. Keeping Stewart and Power are key IMO.

It’s March, this will all work itself out in May. As of now, and a lot can still happen, it seems like there’s a good chance we’re preseason #1 heading into next season. And I know, who cares, I wanna be postseason #1.

I'd like your 4 but I'd take Proctor or Roach instead of McCain if need be.

I suspect Schutt will stay because he wants to go to college at Duke. I think Power will stay because the coaches will convince him he can be in the rotation (which I believe is absolutely true). I'll go to battle with that group.

Reactions: christophero
So far this year has taught me experience goes a further than a stud out of HS. Mitchell is playing like a 'Strong Forward ', Flip is taking what they give him, and Roach is leading by example.

I trust our incoming freshmen, but I trust Foster, Blake, and Stewart a little bit more with them. I'm Sorry Reeves didn't play, but he knows what is out there. Young's effectiveness and presence has been based on his experience. It mattered.

If our goal is to stockpile white wings then sure
Angel Wings GIF by Angels Skates

I'd like your 4 but I'd take Proctor or Roach instead of McCain if need be.

I suspect Schutt will stay because he wants to go to college at Duke. I think Power will stay because the coaches will convince him he can be in the rotation (which I believe is absolutely true). I'll go to battle with that group.
I'd take Roach too but it sounds like he's moving on. I'd take McCain over Proctor. Now if Tyrese returns I'd take that too. :) I hope Power stays but that wing is crowded next year. I hope they all stay but they won't. Schutt could get time if he is recovered from injury if just Foster returns.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Only_Blue
Power can play at the sg position. Can anyone imagine a line up of

Foster - 6’4”
Power - 6’9”
Flagg - 6’10”
Stewart - 6’9”
Mal - 7’-2”

Or move Flagg to the stretch four and have Evans play at sf.

Power can play at the sg position. Can anyone imagine a line up of

Foster - 6’4”
Power - 6’9”
Flagg - 6’10”
Stewart - 6’9”
Mal - 7’-2”

Or move Flagg to the stretch four and have Evans play at sf.
He seems to want to be a guard...

We need a combo guard who can handle the point if needed in case Foster gets in foul trouble or the unforbidden "i" word that happens to us every year.

One of Roach, McCain or Proctor back would solve that problem. If they did, I'd be fine with Blakes being back up PG.

Not sure Power could guard ACC guards.
I don’t know he’s playing at the sg/sf spot now as a freshman.
Given his limited minutes and sample size he just needs another year to practice on the defensive end.
Duke does not need a combo guard . There simply isn’t enough balls to go around . Every year we start with the portal talk with out getting a good sample size of who can do what . I’m pretty sure Coach Scheyer and staff recruited four sf’s with the expectation that more then one can play multiple positions if needed.

^we'll see. I'm hoping they can but just think another ball handler with more experience would help

Reactions: GAAP
^we'll see. I'm hoping they can but just think another ball handler with more experience would help
At the expense of who ? What happens if McCain or even Proctor decides to come back ? Are we so sure Foster stays? Once again only one floor general can be on the floor and with Flagg and Mal coming in . The only starting spots up for grab are 1-3 . Foster returning he’s a starter. Mitchell if he should return is a starter . Stewart can grab the starting pf spot if Mitchell leaves with Flagg at Sf . At some point Duke has to go with who they recruited . The portal will be hard for Duke outside of bench players .

Reactions: jamsession2
Clearly Foster and McCain were seen as 2-3 year guys. Jon's recruiting reflects that. But McCain caught the eye of scouts with that hot streak, although he has leveled off a bit. In the words of his parents, "things have changed." So he may come back, he may not. Proctor has played well but not first round well, so it may depend on how bad he wants to get to the league. Roach and Blakes seem to be moving on, but maybe one could be convinced to stay if Mccain enters the draft. I think McCain and Mitchell will test the waters. Mitchell is a big guy he may test well. Proctor maybe 75% gone. If somehow we get Proctor or MC/Foster, Stewart, Mitchell that could be a 99 type team.

Last edited:
At the expense of who ? What happens if McCain or even Proctor decides to come back ? Are we so sure Foster stays? Once again only one floor general can be on the floor and with Flagg and Mal coming in . The only starting spots up for grab are 1-3 . Foster returning he’s a starter. Mitchell if he should return is a starter . Stewart can grab the starting pf spot if Mitchell leaves with Flagg at Sf . At some point Duke has to go with who they recruited . The portal will be hard for Duke outside of bench players .
Only the NIL motivates this response. The next 3 games will determine what decisions are made with the present team. It starts with with the UNC game tomorrow.

Clearly Foster and McCain were seen as 2-3 year guys. Jon's recruiting reflects that. But McCain caught the eye of scouts with that hot streak, although he has leveled off a bit. In the words of his parents, "things have changed." So he may come back, he may not. Proctor has played well but not first round well, so it may depend on how bad he wants to get to the league. Roach and Blakes seem to be moving on, but maybe one could be convinced to stay if Mccain enters the draft. I think McCain and Mitchell will test the waters. Mitchell is a big guy he may test well. Proctor maybe 75% gone. If somehow we get Proctor or MC/Foster, Stewart, Mitchell that could be a 99 type team.
Roach is gone, but you have a chance to keep Blake. McCain has shown scouts he can play in the 'modern' NBA. If it changes, which is the motivation, McCain will need to learn how to be a pg.

McCain looks a good 3 inches shorter than Scheyer in that pic. His height is our only chance he comes back, as he may need to be a PG.

If you keep Blakes and Foster, things will be fine.
Not very confident in Blakes after the WF loss -- dreadful air-ball on wide open 3 (he was immediately benched) and then fouled Hildreth with a fraction of a second left in the first half. :eek:

Don't see him as a consistently positive contributor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT