ADVERTISEMENT

Khaman Maluach

Great to see us land the kid. What a class.

If we lose several of the guards (McCain & Roach seem certain and perhaps Proctor - 🤷🏼‍♂️ - but would love to retain him with Foster), that could be a big place to recruit in the portal. Especially a 2G shooter who can handle to relieve Foster.

This move and Sean’s emergence may allow Coop to play the 3.

Foster
??
Coop
Seab
Khaman
Timo- I know Evans isn't a true 2 guard, but he HAS to start. He's been an absolute terror his senior year and should finish in top 10 in the class...

My guess on who returns
Foster
Stewart
Hopefully Mitchell (he is key)
Maybe Proctor
Maybe Power. Roach would be great but he may move on.

Last edited:
After the season we will do a full breakdown of what we expect, these are just my opinions. One I’ll share is Roach- I’ve been told this is it. He just doesn’t want to do the college thing anymore. Thankful we got 4 out of him. Could have left after Soph or junior year.

If Mitchell returns , I think we see a decommit from one of Harris, Evan’s or Knup.
Mitchell wouldn’t return to come off the bench, Flag and Mal are starters as well and Foster returning would lock down four of the five starting spots .

Leaves Power, Evans, Harris and Knup at the sg to Sf spot .
Ngongba might not play leaving a front court of Flagg , Mal and Stewart . IMO need to keep Reeves or get another veteran big to help the freshman while they adjust to the college level.

Gone I would say , Roach, Proctor, Young, Flip.
50/50 test the league or transfer Mitchell

50/50 transfer Reeves , Power ( just because he might see the need to want more minutes somewhere) and Schutt.

Blakes would be the only back up point guard on the roster or he could leave and Duke look at the portal .

Either way looking forward to the off season and next year .

Welcome to the brotherhood young man !

Timo, you think Schutt will be out yet another season? Wow. Is your info reliable?

Reactions: sheyduke
If Mitchell returns , I think we see a decommit from one of Harris, Evan’s or Knup.
Mitchell wouldn’t return to come off the bench, Flag and Mal are starters as well and Foster returning would lock down four of the five starting spots .

Leaves Power, Evans, Harris and Knup at the sg to Sf spot .
Ngongba might not play leaving a front court of Flagg , Mal and Stewart . IMO need to keep Reeves or get another veteran big to help the freshman while they adjust to the college level.

Gone I would say , Roach, Proctor, Young, Flip.
50/50 test the league or transfer Mitchell

50/50 transfer Reeves , Power ( just because he might see the need to want more minutes somewhere) and Schutt.

Blakes would be the only back up point guard on the roster or he could leave and Duke look at the portal .

Either way looking forward to the off season and next year .

Welcome to the brotherhood young man !
Reeves staying...

I'm not convinced that more than 3 freshmen play at least at first. Others might come along slowly like Power and Stewart. The days of the ready-on-day-one One and Dones are gones. They aren't as well prepared due to the Pandemic in some cases, and just not as well prepared in other cases. I think these guys are being told they may not play on day one.

Which is what I would like . You simply would need him to come in and rebound , alter shots and block them in spare minutes to give Mal breaks .
This allows for him to relax and play his game. Don't get it twisted, I would love for him to be healthy and play Flip at the 4. The staff had other ideas. Cooper can play at the natural 3 and every else fill in the where they fit. Size is essential.

I'm not convinced that more than 3 freshmen play at least at first. Others might come along slowly like Power and Stewart. The days of the ready-on-day-one One and Dones are gones. They aren't as well prepared due to the Pandemic in some cases, and just not as well prepared in other cases. I think these guys are being told they may not play on day one.
NIL and COVID brought grown men back to the game.

Reactions: sheyduke
The only way I see Mitchell leaving is if his stock were to significantly rise in the post season. He is not a 1st round draft pick at the moment and the kid loves Duke, he’s said as much when Mark’s father made the tweet and Mark said, “that has nothing to do with me, I am grateful to be at Duke and Love it here!”

I think Mitchell will play in the nba, but not yet. His ceiling is Gerald “Crash” Wallace. I can see Mark being a 3 or 4 year Duke guy.

The only way I see Mitchell leaving is if his stock were to significantly rise in the post season. He is not a 1st round draft pick at the moment and the kid loves Duke.
I think he leaves. If I’m wrong though, at least one of Power, Stewart, or an incoming freshman won’t be wearing a Duke uniform next season. We would be overcrowded.

Reactions: christophero
So it sounds like Roach and Blakes are moving on. Damn, but okay. Foster returns. We would need another guard if McCain and Proctor both go. I'm not confident either of those guys return. You can't have just one true guard on the roster. Wings don't count we discuss this every year. Maybe one of those guys surprises and returns. And we haven't had great luck in the portal. If McCain or Proctor returns we are golden.

Reactions: jamsession2
So it sounds like Roach and Blakes are moving on. Damn, but okay. Foster returns. We would need another guard if McCain and Proctor both go. I'm not confident either of those guys return. You can't have just one true guard on the roster. Wings don't count we discuss this every year. Maybe one of those guys surprises and returns. And we haven't had great luck in the portal. If McCain or Proctor returns we are golden.
McCain is having fun, but why stay. Proctor has more of an ego(than Roach), so I think he's gone. Caleb is here. I really believe Blakes stays if Proctor and McCain gone. The wings are fine, because Blake is a mature guard. Experience is key. Experience with the system is essential. Young showed us that.

Sign and keep what we have...

With or without Blakes, we need another guard if only Foster is back and no other guards. He's no where near ready to play. His outside shot is broken. In 4 years it doesn't seem he's developed enough.

I don't like talking about next year, but here goes. Duke has 6 signed: 2 centers, and the other 4 are either shooting guards or small forwards, ranging in size from 6-5 to 6-8. Let's assume Stewart and Power both stay. That's 6 non centers. Flagg will start, unless the entire planet is wrong on him. Stewart probably will too. I think Foster returns, so there's the point guard.

It seems like we might be a little thin at the guard spot (Foster only ball handler) next season, and loaded at the forward spot. But I could be wrong and one of the kids coming in could handle running the point some. This is also saying McCain and Mitchell both leave. I'd love to have both return, especially McCain. If one of them surprises me and stays, I'd say someone that either we expect to stay doesn't, and a recruit decommits.
You hit on alot of my thoughts. I would love for one of McCain, Roach, or Mitchell to stay, and I would be okay losing Reeves and/or Power to have that happen. Actually think Mitchell would stay but I’m guessing that he would go from starting to coming off the bench. I’m really high on Harris. Kid seems to ball out at all the big tournaments and is the player mentioned by the Rival’s National analyst most outside of Flagg. However, he’s not getting the bump in the ratings that others have gotten.

Regarding a recruit potentially decommitting if McCain or Mitchell decides to stay, I get why that would happen if Mitchell stays but not with McCain.

No matter how we slice it, we do not want Blakes as one of the two primary guards playing significant minutes next year. We would need an upgrade. I'm curious how the guards will look come next year as it sounds like Foster is definitely coming back so hopefully Proctor or Roach comes back.

If not, Kon or Evans may be in the 2 guard role.

I think Foster is our PG. But Flagg can handle the ball pretty well - as I said above, he’s the closest thing to Grant Hill we’ve had.

I don’t see Proctor returning . Not saying he won’t but I don’t see it . I am also not wanting to see Flagg as the primary ball handler many said the same about Flip.

Don’t over do each player . If Blakes leaves grab a guy out the portal . You only need a back up .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT