ADVERTISEMENT

Keep playing Goldwire and Duke is an easy out in NCAAs

acc hoops

Cameron Crazy
Mar 24, 2004
Can’t shoot. Maybe he plays good defense but his man out scored him 6 to 1.
His 2 bad turnovers at the end of regulation gave Wake the game.
He should play 10-12 minutes a game. No more.

Can’t shoot. Maybe he plays good defense but his man out scored him 6 to 1.
His 2 bad turnovers at the end of regulation gave Wake the game.
He should play 10-12 minutes a game. No more.
Who do you play in his place?

Hurt or Baker? They can’t guard athletic ball players.

Alex can play for spurts but not the whole time.

I agree one of Baker Or Alex or Hurt should start just so Goldwire can come in for Tre. But who do you start because you mention offense but which of those three produce night in and out.

White, who knows what’s going on with him. I’m down for Robinson starting though .

Robinson will at least block some shots, rebound and hit an occasional three.
Up nine with 1:28 to go why keep pressuring the ball w no big underneath? Switch to a zone and not give up easy basket.
With 2 TOs left Coach should have used 1 and settled the team
Bottom line Duke had the game won and Moore/Goldwire made 3 bad turnovers.

Reactions: pisgah101
Yes Goldwire isnt the best offensively, but he has had 2 or 3 decent games consecutively... I just dont think you can NOT PLAY HIM big minutes. His on ball defense is up there with Tre, and that alone gives him the nod, IMO over AOC and Baker... I said it before you gotta surround him with scorer's and you will never know the last he lacks offense... and the loses that we've had recently the "surrounding scorer's" havent been scoring...

Hurt needs 14+ points. AOC and Moore need 6-10 each. Stanley needs 14+. Carey needs to continue to play his game, same with Tre... if you can get these numbers night in, night out Duke will be fine. BUT hasn't been the case. Also, as athletic and defensively capable this them is, it sure has dipped from the beginning of the year...

I would like to see the coaching staff try some zone defense with this group of Blue Devils. Opposing teams are pulling our bigs out on switches and just driving at will on them, the same thing happened to our 15-16, 16-17, and 17-18 teams. Also, I would be a big advocate for giving Tre some more rest and letting Goldy run the team. We want all of The Blue Devils as fresh as they can be once tournament play arrives in less than a month. Duke’s remaining schedule is not easy at all. We will find out a lot from our Blue Devils in the next couple of months.

Reactions: Mac9192 and DBM0828
I like Goldwire, but I think he plays too many minutes. I think Alex needs to play more. We can say what we want about kids and the minutes they get, but there’s truth to how loose they play. That comment was made during the Notre Dame game by the lady reporting from court side about Goldwire. He said he only played 8 minutes a game last season, and worried about getting taken out if he did something wrong. I’ve argued with other posters about that very thing on this board.
But there is truth to it if that’s how a player feels.

Yeah I'm not sure who you play in place of Goldwire. We need his on-ball defense.

Yeah I'm not sure who you play in place of Goldwire. We need his on-ball defense.
You play Stanley/ Moore/ 2 bigs and Jones. Time to change up the defense and not pressure the ball the whole game.

I’m still confident our staff will figure this out. I’m bummed about tonight but 23-5 is still a good season. We are capable of winning out and winning the ACC tourney. Maybe then we will catch fire
I hope you're right!

Reactions: Duke1783
I’m still confident our staff will figure this out. I’m bummed about tonight but 23-5 is still a good season. We are capable of winning out and winning the ACC tourney. Maybe then we will catch fire
23-5 isn’t that good when we’ve played 4 good teams this year. Only one of our losses was sorta acceptable (Louisville), the other 4 have been complete head scratchers. We get on mid majors like Gonzaga, SDSU and others for their weak schedules, ours hasn’t been very good this season either.

It comes down to us not having that killer instinct or an emotional leader in these true road games. (Last year we had two players that loved playing on the road almost as much as playing at home.) At home, we are much better because the crowd gives off energy. Not to mention we never dial back the pressure on defense. It makes no sense to continue playing this super aggressive defense when we're not getting steals and the team is just spreading us out and attacking our bids. Every game except the Louisville game has been the same. We never adjusted the defense. We just change a few players and think that will work. Not to mention we definitely play down to competition. Almost every road game besides MSU has been a nailbiter. Slow starts have to stop! I think we will be ok in the neutral site setting though

Robinson will at least block some shots, rebound and hit an occasional three.
Up nine with 1:28 to go why keep pressuring the ball w no big underneath? Switch to a zone and not give up easy basket.
With 2 TOs left Coach should have used 1 and settled the team
Bottom line Duke had the game won and Moore/Goldwire made 3 bad turnovers.

You said Robinson lol. Absolutely love that dude, but walkons aren’t the answer here.

Reactions: ioliva
You said Robinson lol. Absolutely love that dude, but walkons aren’t the answer here.
He can take those 8-10 minutes Javin will get. They do the same thing. Robinson can open the floor up a little more. He's definitely not the answer to us winning. Having that killer instinct is what we lack in these road games. Lack of adjustments to the defense as well. We're pressuring but not causing turnovers. It just turns into fouls or easy layups

DeLaurier is a fabulous player. It's outrageous that he only played five minutes

refs won’t let him play more. He had five fouls in five minutes. Chase Jeter 2.0

The answer is not on the roster period folks. We have to keep playing Jordan, he’s our best chance. But the answer is strong on court senior leadership. We don’t have that.

This is on K. After Goldwire turned ball over & Wake hits three to tie at 79 we had two timeouts remaining. Ball winds up in Goldwire hands on left sideline, he’s clearly deer in headlights bringing ball up at half speed while standing upright but no timeout? Goldwire hands the ball to Tre and commits foul on screen. A junior should know to call timeout or protect the ball in those circumstances.

My point is K failed to call timeout and players haven’t been taught call timeout as well. Poor job all around.

This is on K. After Goldwire turned ball over & Wake hits three to tie at 79 we had two timeouts remaining. Ball winds up in Goldwire hands on left sideline, he’s clearly deer in headlights bringing ball up at half speed while standing upright but no timeout? Goldwire hands the ball to Tre and commits foul on screen. A junior should know to call timeout or protect the ball in those circumstances.

My point is K failed to call timeout and players haven’t been taught call timeout as well. Poor job all around.
He’s a junior point guard who’s now been in plenty of spots. While i agree a timeout should have been called- If a junior point guard can’t handle it with pressure on the line, that’s on him too. It’s an absolute combination collapse from he, Moore’s inexplicable TO, some awful calls/no call (both against JGold) and K for not bailing him out with a timeout after the first one.

You play Stanley/ Moore/ 2 bigs and Jones. Time to change up the defense and not pressure the ball the whole game.
You don't want to play Goldwire but you're ok with Moore who is a walking turnover? Ok.

JGold is a net plus when he doesn't turn it over or miss too many shots. Last night he blew it big time in some big moments. I am in favor of bringing in Alex a little more instead of Goldwire, but Alex can't guard anyone on the perimeter which exposes Carey to fouls. If you guys think we really need Alex's 3 point shooting, take a look at his % this year. Not good.

Coach K is in a tough spot at off-ball guard. Alex is the key to making it all work IMO. If he can start raining it and playing half decent defense, we're a much better 40-minute team. Our highest ceiling 5 is Tre, Stanley, Wendell, Hurt and Carey. The nightly liabilities are Wendell's offense and Hurts defense. Alex can help fill those gaps if he locks in and becomes the best version of himself in March. If either Jack/Javin can step up and be a reliable 7th man, we can steal #6.

You don't want to play Goldwire but you're ok with Moore who is a walking turnover? Ok.
In a game where 84 FTs were shot Goldwire had 0 attempts. In only 10 minutes more of PT Moore did have 2 more turnovers but he had more rebounds, steals and assists. He also had 25 pts versus 2.

Goldwire was excellent how K was using him early in the season. To spell Tre for a breather, keep pressure on the ball, and run the offense. At times for a change of pace we played both very effectively and we pressed a lot doing it.

It’s much different how we use him now. He plays a ton of minutes, Tre and Goldwire are both getting tired, we don’t use the press much, and he’s a liability offensively. When We have Tre, Goldwire, and Moore on the floor no coach in their right mind would extend out to our perimeter defensively. It’s just congest everything for Carey and it closes down all the driving lanes.

Goldwire is absolutely a key piece to us being successful as a team. But K has completely changed the roles of these guys from what it was through December. If he wants to keep three guys on the floor that are streaky shooters at best then we better be the best defensive unit on the other side of the floor at all times with them because we are very easily defended on the offensive side with that group in long stretches.

He’s a junior point guard who’s now been in plenty of spots. While i agree a timeout should have been called- If a junior point guard can’t handle it with pressure on the line, that’s on him too. It’s an absolute combination collapse from he, Moore’s inexplicable TO, some awful calls/no call (both against JGold) and K for not bailing him out with a timeout after the first one.

He should not have been in the game. That's on K.

Neither Goldwire nor Javin have developed.

I wish he would give White and Baker more minutes. Players need minutes to get comfortable in playing in big games. White has shown in the past he can be an intangibles guy who does little things to win.

I actually think we are okay defensively without Goldwire. You have Stanley and Moore who can both defend 2s and 3s. Then you can switch in Hurt and White and Baker depending on matchups. And, also still use Goldwire for defense at particular points.

The problem is Goldwire getting too much PT.

This is not about 23-5 it's about getting to the FF and having a real shot at winning an NCAA title. This team, as is, does not.

I think making Goldwire a bit player off the bench is a better situation.

And his defense did not make a big difference last night as Wake put up 113 (even if in 2 OT that's a lot of points).

Reactions: Devilinside
So we are just gonna completely blame Goldwire?! Cool
Obviously not. That would be ridiculous- as i mentioned above it’s an absolute combination. His two at the end were glaring and i think it was a deer in headlights in a tight game that we’ve seen before from him. It’s hot potato when he gets it in that spot. I think K should have bailed him out with at least one timeout called. Moore had an awful turnover as well. Tre went to hero ball a bit much for my tastes. We were whistled for 34 fouls leading to 50 foul shots? Our defense was matador like and whenever we did get stops we were often whistled for soft calls. So plenty of blame to go around.

I think the ultimate sentiment here is JGold, while he’s had a really surprisingly good year for us, can’t and shouldn’t be expected to play this many minutes and be in these big spots.

He should not have been in the game. That's on K.

I wish he would give White and Baker more minutes. Players need minutes to get comfortable in playing in big games. White has shown in the past he can be an intangibles guy who does little things to win.

I actually think we are okay defensively without Goldwire. You have Stanley and Moore who can both defend 2s and 3s. Then you can switch in Hurt and White and Baker depending on matchups. And, also still use Goldwire for defense at particular points.

The problem is Goldwire getting too much PT.

This is not about 23-5 it's about getting to the FF and having a real shot at winning an NCAA title. This team, as is, does not.

I think making Goldwire a bit player off the bench is a better situation.

And his defense did not make a big difference last night as Wake put up 113 (even if in 2 OT that's a lot of points).
To say Goldwire of all people on this team hasn’t developed is asinine.

I would agree that (IMO of course) Goldwire is playing too much and being asked to do too much, but to contend he hasn't developed is woefully inaccurate.

He is playing big minutes because of what he does defensively, but that strategic move is negated by the fact that Duke isn't playing good defense right now. In their last ten games, they have given up 80+ 6 times (and had another where they gave up 79) - so they are in a ten game stretch where the opponent is averaging over 80 a game. If our defensive lineup isn't getting stops, which it clearly isn't, then your "defensive lineup" is no longer that, so you may as well put in some offense.

Reactions: tw3301
JGold is a net plus when he doesn't turn it over or miss too many shots. Last night he blew it big time in some big moments. I am in favor of bringing in Alex a little more instead of Goldwire, but Alex can't guard anyone on the perimeter which exposes Carey to fouls. If you guys think we really need Alex's 3 point shooting, take a look at his % this year. Not good.

Coach K is in a tough spot at off-ball guard. Alex is the key to making it all work IMO. If he can start raining it and playing half decent defense, we're a much better 40-minute team. Our highest ceiling 5 is Tre, Stanley, Wendell, Hurt and Carey. The nightly liabilities are Wendell's offense and Hurts defense. Alex can help fill those gaps if he locks in and becomes the best version of himself in March. If either Jack/Javin can step up and be a reliable 7th man, we can steal #6.
I’m a fan of Alex playing a little more. Yeah he is weak on d, but look at our team d at this point. We aren’t exactly shutting teams down with him playing 18 minutes in a double ot loss. Look at how much better he plays in the games when he stays out on the court. No, he’s not an All conference kid, but I feel with a little longer leash, he can help.

Reactions: JCColsCane
There is no doubt this team has not progressed the way we thought they would given the deep bench and amount of young, raw talent. We can't blame injuries either. It's disappointing to say the least.

Fortunately, there is some precedent to a faltering Duke team in February and then a Final Four run. True, in '15 and '10 we didn't lose in February. But the FF run before that, in '04, we lost back-to-back @NC State and @Wake in mid February....sound familiar?...(and even followed it up with a home loss to GT a couple weeks later and a loss to Maryland in the ACCT).

I feel pretty good that Duke wins out the regular season. Very doubtful we lose to UVA coming off a loss. Revenge game at home against State. And then senior night against basement dwelling UNC. But I think these last few games have exposed Duke as a team which doesn't dominate and which isn't consistent enough to win at highest level in the postseason. Hope im wrong

The fact that Goldware must be on the floor so much tells me that this team has a very long way to go before it can be reliably competitive against legitimate FF teams. I do not think he could start for most of the teams in the top 25, if not all of them. This game also tells me that without VC, we are virtually offenseless and defenseless in the middle. That is the way it looks now, but I am totally confident that the GOAT will find a solution.

Reactions: hart2chesson
23-5 isn’t that good when we’ve played 4 good teams this year. Only one of our losses was sorta acceptable (Louisville), the other 4 have been complete head scratchers. We get on mid majors like Gonzaga, SDSU and others for their weak schedules, ours hasn’t been very good this season either.
I don’t disagree with that. Our losses are pretty bad but theres been some games we won and should have lost so it evens out

In a game where 84 FTs were shot Goldwire had 0 attempts. In only 10 minutes more of PT Moore did have 2 more turnovers but he had more rebounds, steals and assists. He also had 25 pts versus 2.
That's 1 game, Moore hasn't exactly been Mr. consistent this season. I agree he is more of an offensive threat than Goldwire, he just turns the ball over a lot and his shot is probably more broken than Goldwire's. Moore was able to draw a lot of fouls last night though and was great from the FT line.

If anyone thinks K isn't going to give Goldwire substantial minutes then they haven't watched Duke very long. Goldwire is the exact kind of player K absolutely loves - a scrappy, tough, balls-to-the-wall effort defensive guard who can't score.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT