ADVERTISEMENT

Joey Baker “really excited” for sophomore year at Duke

I think that if he didn’t burn his redshirt, there would be more hype surrounding him for next season. I’m still extremely high on his future at Duke though. I think that upgrading his strength and conditioning will be big in his development so this summer will be a big one for him.

I like the optimism but I’m a bit skeptical at least for this season.

K labels him a more normal type of recruit that grows over time. In the new Duke model that tends to mean if you don’t immediately get time as a freshman...you’re a role player.

Add on the fact that I never like hearing a kid is putting on weight. Muscle always sounds great in theory but I swear so many players feel slow the season after those comments.

I realize people think Baker is/can be better than AOC but that’s only because he’s unknown right now. I expect Alex to have a better year and see much more time than Joey.

K labels him a more normal type of recruit that grows over time. In the new Duke model that tends to mean if you don’t immediately get time as a freshman...you’re a role player.

Add on the fact that I never like hearing a kid is putting on weight. Muscle always sounds great in theory but I swear so many players feel slow the season after those comments.

I realize people think Baker is/can be better than AOC but that’s only because he’s unknown right now. I expect Alex to have a better year and see much more time than Joey.
If AOC anc dribble to his left and hit a pull up 15ft jumper he will be money. that shot was there all seaon. plus, he needs to learn not to telegraph passes.

Reactions: christophero
If AOC anc dribble to his left and hit a pull up 15ft jumper he will be money. that shot was there all seaon. plus, he needs to learn not to telegraph passes.
I agree and that comes with confidence. I have said it before....it's up to him. He has had and will continue to get opportunities. If he can get a little "swagger" goin, he is going to score some points for us next year.

We’re all rooting for him. I think it’s impossible to predict his role/PT next year but we’ll surely see more of him. He’s going to be a big impact player in the future (we just don’t know if that future big impact is next season or further away)

I was wrong with Alex Murphy but right on Grayson Allen in seeing them as becoming stars. I'm due to be right on Baker. I think he's going to be solid this year and a star as a junior and then the non redshirt won't matter.

I tend to agree on being skeptical for this season.

But, at 6'7 and 200 lbs, he can definitely put on weight. Plenty of NBA players in that height range run in the 220-240 range and look thin and athletic. Kawhi Leonard, for example, is 6'7, 230.

So, if Baker goes, say, 210 next year he'll still be relatively thin.

But, I think he's going to have to shoot well to get PT. Even if he's better than Alex overall, Alex may get more PT if he plays better within the system and if he shoots from 3 well because we don't have much in the way of outside shooting.

But, at 6'7 and 200 lbs, he can definitely put on weight. Plenty of NBA players in that height range run in the 220-240 range and look thin and athletic. Kawhi Leonard, for example, is 6'7, 230.

So, if Baker goes, say, 210 next year he'll still be relatively thin.

I guess. But are we really comparing Baker to someone in the NBA. More college players are 6’7” and 200 or 210. Kawhi Leonard is almost a decade older than Joey and one of the best players in the world.

Joey’s body hasn’t even started its initial maturation process. He’s not thin.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT