ADVERTISEMENT

Jeremy roach

ioliva

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Jul 30, 2009
Is this kid becoming a player or what? Beginning of the year it seemed he was destined for a complimentary average role player but damn he really took over a few times during the course of the game where your jaw just dropped. So happy things are coming together for him

Coach K's philosophy with young teams (and that includes our 2 sophomores who are not upperclassman) is to throw them into the fire and let them play through mistakes. Play them heavy minutes. Sometimes it works; sometimes it doesn't. And can cause the bench to transfer, which honestly drives me crazy. Even though Roach lost his starting spot he was still the 6th man and played plenty. In Roach's case it has worked as he has turned a corner. And I see some recent maturity in Banchero's game as well.

Reactions: jeffrey236
K’s switch to adding him to the starting lineup

*chefs kiss*

Don't you know that K reads this board and he listened to us? So all the credit goes to this board 😂😂
Man I was begging for it so bad. I’m just glad k made the switch because it really didn’t seem like it was going to happen

I thought keels played great today, better than he has in awhile. He finally didn’t force it as much and let the game come to him

Screenshot-20220320-195049-Chrome.jpg

Let's hope he continues his strong play. Many have been asking for Roach to start with Keels coming off the bench. That seems like the obvious choice moving forward. Go get it young man!!!

I think what we are seeing is player development.......something we don't see much of in the (Duke) OAD era. It's a thing of beauty!

There was one poster in particular that hated on Roach all year. I cannot remember his name
I think it was 2 skerz 3 or something like that. Here is one of his posts.

"Our point guard will keep up us from winning a title. Beating a mid major fraud doesn’t dispute that. Roach, simply isn’t a Duke point guard. Sucks, but at least K can go out out with a sweet 16 appearance. Championship pg’s win true road games vs sub par opponents. Roach ain’t it, but unfortunately he’s the best we got"

Whatever happens next week, Roach proved that he is our Point Guard, Once he develops a better shot and possibly a floater in the lane, watch out.

Let's hope he continues his strong play. Many have been asking for Roach to start with Keels coming off the bench. That seems like the obvious choice moving forward. Go get it young man!!!

I think what we are seeing is player development.......something we don't see much of in the (Duke) OAD era. It's a thing of beauty!
Wonder how he will match up next week against the bigger/stronger guards of TT. Are they quick enough to guard him? Is Jeremy strong enough to guard their guards? Gotta go back and re-watch the ND/TT game to see how we will match up

Two big back to back drives by Jeremy at the 7:50 mark. The second one looked like he had the ball on a string. Extremely impressive

But something we haven’t talked about is Keel’s 3 tying it at 72. That was HUGE!!!!! I hope he’s out of his funk cause we can’t win without his productivity off the bench!

But something we haven’t talked about is Keel’s 3 tying it at 72. That was HUGE!!!!! I hope he’s out of his funk cause we can’t win without his productivity off the bench!
So many great highlights. Not at the end, but how about that Mark Williams one legged fadeaway? Definitely didn't expect that 😂

That was a huge balls shot. He had been struggling and he took that with absolute confidence.

Reactions: Quavarius
Roach freaking killed it last night; there is no other way around it. He played elite—like seriously, elite. He reminded me a bit of a seasoned Quinn Cook last night.

But as well as Roach drove and that HUGE three he hit at the end of the game, what he also did was make our whole team better. Last night was the first time in a good while that I didn't feel like we were super stagnant on offense. People were moving without the ball better than I've seen maybe all year.

Also, credit to MSU. They're always so well coached and it took us playing out of our minds to pull off a close one.

We made our last few threes, and MSU missed theirs. If we were up 5 and lost we would be saying we didn't execute down the stretch. Yesterday we did and they didn't. I don't know what Thursday will bring but it was nice to see. The only thing that concerns me is that we did not really stop them until the end. Our D will need to do better against better teams.

MSU shot 11-22 from three. At one point they were 10-15. That’s absurd. So even with them going 1-7 to end the game they still shot out of their minds collectively. Some of them were admittedly bad defense. Others you just shake your head. I didn’t think our defense was as bad as some of the folks I’ve seen. They did a solid job overall I thought but MSU just made a ton of threes they just had no business making. I’ll give Izzo credit on getting them to execute the fast breakout off of a defensive rebound. Reminded me of playing the unc teams under Roy.

When everyone shoots out of their minds against you it's not luck. It's bad defense ha. But we got stops when we needed them.

When everyone shoots out of their minds against you it's not luck. It's bad defense ha. But we got stops when we needed them.
Yes and no, and I never said luck. But you saw and I can point out multiple threes that didn’t even sniff the rim that they hit where we had a guy draped all over them. When you’re a team that shoots 37% (very respectable) but are going out and hitting at 60-70%, that’s just having a night. Luckily they reverted back to their norms a bit. We had a handful that I was pissed about, where we left a shooter open or didn’t get up into them. I can point those out to. So it’s a bit of both. But inside the arc, our defense was pretty solid.

Wonder how he will match up next week against the bigger/stronger guards of TT. Are they quick enough to guard him? Is Jeremy strong enough to guard their guards? Gotta go back and re-watch the ND/TT game to see how we will match up
Hell, Roach has been practicing with and against bigger stronger guards all year. The real question is whether TT's guards will be able to match up against Roach. I've always thought Roach should have been handed the keys at the beginning of the year and allowed to progress as THE point guard. He might be even betterif that had happened. OFC

That was a huge balls shot. He had been struggling and he took that with absolute confidence.
Yes, that’s why it was soooo HUGE! Not gonna lie, I knew it was going it because it was pretty when it left his hands. So happy for that kid!

There absolutely is luck in some situations.....MSU hit some shots that don’t go in over 90% of the time. Hell I remember Singler did it against WVU in the 10 FF - they defended him so well and he still hit some that we’re going in no matter what.

Maybe. But I see some halfhearted hand up 3 point defense. That is not going to stop a good shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT