ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Love versus Jeremy Roach

Oct 6, 2022
As we all know, Caleb Love likes to go off against Duke. However, outside of against Duke, he is pretty bad. It’s well reported he grew up a Duke fan and wanted the Duke offer, but K fell in love with Jeremy Roach’s game instead. Per 247, Love was recruit #14 and Roach #23.

Love:
FR 28 mpg, 10.5 ppg, 3.5 apg, 31% FG (yikes) 3.1 TO
SO 34 mpg, 15.9 ppg, 3.6 apg, 37% fg, 2.7 TO
JR: 36 mpg, 16.6 ppg, 2.9 apg, 38% fg, 2.3 TO

Roach
FR 27 mpg, 8.7 ppg, 2.8 apg, 45% FG, 2 TO
SO 29 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 3.2 apg, 41% fg, 1.6 TO
JR 32 mpg, 12.5 ppg, 3 apg, 39% fg, 2.1 TO

Did K make the right call?

In my opinion, Jeremy is not a great player and hasn't developed into the point guard that Coach K expected. However he seems like a good guy, plays hard on both ends, and isn't the cancer that Love is.

I cannot believe Love took 25 shots last night. He and R.J. Davis have no clue how to win and Hubert doesn't seem to be able to (or want to) reign them in.

No I don't want Caleb Love on my team.

Mannn Roach is so close to being pretty damn good. If he stays and IMPrOVES, we got a guard next year we haven’t had in a LONG time.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
Without any bias. Love is the type of player than can go off and win you games, but also be the worst player on the floor and kill you. Roach is more steady, just not as explosive. Roach is having a disappointing season considering he’s a junior and our captain.

I think it depends on the team surrounding them. Roach was a better fit with our super talented team last year, whereas Love would have taken shots away from Paolo and company.
Love probably would fit better on this current Duke team, who just needs a spark and someone to step up and not be afraid of the moment.

Reactions: hart2chesson
As we all know, Caleb Love likes to go off against Duke. However, outside of against Duke, he is pretty bad. It’s well reported he grew up a Duke fan and wanted the Duke offer, but K fell in love with Jeremy Roach’s game instead. Per 247, Love was recruit #14 and Roach #23.

Love:
FR 28 mpg, 10.5 ppg, 3.5 apg, 31% FG (yikes) 3.1 TO
SO 34 mpg, 15.9 ppg, 3.6 apg, 37% fg, 2.7 TO
JR: 36 mpg, 16.6 ppg, 2.9 apg, 38% fg, 2.3 TO

Roach
FR 27 mpg, 8.7 ppg, 2.8 apg, 45% FG, 2 TO
SO 29 mpg, 8.6 ppg, 3.2 apg, 41% fg, 1.6 TO
JR 32 mpg, 12.5 ppg, 3 apg, 39% fg, 2.1 TO

Did K make the right call?
I think this is an interesting topic. I think most would agree that Love is the better player, a headcase yes, but the better player. That said, I actually think that K preferred Roach because he thought that Love would be one and done, whereas Roach was a multi year player.

I also think that K was thinking ahead because he wanted Keels and having Roach on the team, would help get Keels. I don't think K thought Love would be in college 3 or 4 years. Of course, only the genius Roy Williams knew Love would be at UNC for 3 or 4 years, because that is the Carolina way.

Carolina's struggles have been baffling. Manek was good but he wasn't Larry Bird. They have a lot of talent.
I actually think Carolina's success came from two places. The first part of that was Dawson Garcia leaving in the middle of the season. That is what allowed Manek to play the 4 exclusively and all the other players had their role.

Hubert was trying to make Garcia and Manek flip from the 4 or the 5. Garcia looked like he was crying about his role and played soft. With him gone, and no injuries, Carolina could play the way Hubert wanted.

Lol can’t believe we are asking who is better or who’d you’d rather have .

Roach is at Duke . Love is at UNC . That’s the end of it . Give me Roach any day of the week over Love . For those of you wondering about why guys come to Duke and leave ala Keels. Love would not even be a junior at Duke . The only thing holding Roach back is his assist as a pg . But he was always known as a scoring guard .

In my opinion, Jeremy is not a great player and hasn't developed into the point guard that Coach K expected. However he seems like a good guy, plays hard on both ends, and isn't the cancer that Love is.

I cannot believe Love took 25 shots last night. He and R.J. Davis have no clue how to win and Hubert doesn't seem to be able to (or want to) reign them in.

No I don't want Caleb Love on my team.
Fade away 3s are his specialty

There are rumors on their boards about chemistry issues involving a woman. Supposedly two of their players are not happy with each other and it is affecting the whole team.
And the woman’s name spoiler alert is Amanda Bacot

Reactions: 9dukejames
Lol can’t believe we are asking who is better or who’d you’d rather have .

Roach is at Duke . Love is at UNC . That’s the end of it . Give me Roach any day of the week over Love . For those of you wondering about why guys come to Duke and leave ala Keels. Love would not even be a junior at Duke . The only thing holding Roach back is his assist as a pg . But he was always known as a scoring guard .
Roach is no scoring guard. I’m not going to sit here and critique him . But assists is not what’s holding him back . I should say ONLY thing that’s holding him back. He’s a good player that needs another year. I’ll leave it at that.

Reactions: DanTheDukeFan1982
For me Jeremy has had a better supporting cast so he has not had to score as much. It's tough to say. I thought Coach K did recruit love I may be wrong about that and love chose cheater u. I'm happy we ended up with Roach because love ended up being a cheater u type of player. kind of like paige, berry, white, anthony , you get the picture. All pricks. OFC

Roach is no scoring guard. I’m not going to sit here and critique him . But assists is not what’s holding him back . I should say ONLY thing that’s holding him back. He’s a good player that needs another year. I’ll leave it at that.
Then how do you classify him? Too small for combo , too small for shooting guard yet prior to his injury he was second behind Flip in scoring . He’s a scoring guard period !
That’s the reason he moves off Ball with Proctor in the game .
Give me two shooters on the floor that can hit threes with consistency and Roach flourishes attacking the basket . That’s where most of his points come from.
Also give me two seven footers that don’t play with finesse and we don’t even have this conversation!

What his role on this (can’t throw it in the ocean team) doesn’t make him a “scoring guard”. I see a guy that sits inbetween the assist/“scoring guard” what the hell ever the classification is. He may have been known to be, his role on this team NOW may be, and he may think he is, but he’s not great at either honestly. I’d classify him as just a good player. Idk what he is. He has some bone headed turnovers or poor passes when getting to the basket trying to facilitate. Or he doesn’t finish at the basket with consistency. Then the next possession he makes a great pass or finishes at the rim that will leave you in awe. He doesn’t do either consistently. He devolved a nice pull up jump shot (which I hate). I can’t stand any shot that’s inside the 3 point line. He can break down the defense like no other! But he’s just so close to making the right decision after that consistently… So close.

Then how do you classify him? Too small for combo , too small for shooting guard yet prior to his injury he was second behind Flip in scoring . He’s a scoring guard period !
That’s the reason he moves off Ball with Proctor in the game .
Give me two shooters on the floor that can hit threes with consistency and Roach flourishes attacking the basket . That’s where most of his points come from.
Also give me two seven footers that don’t play with finesse and we don’t even have this conversation!
And he’s not going to get many assists on this team. Because not 1 can shoot a lick lol. You’re not going to get that 1 or 2 cheap assists a game from just a basic pass to the corner and a guy hitting a 3 sort of deal. He’s not going to get any EASY assists I can tell you that now . So I wouldn’t pay too much attention to his apg.

No one does but you don’t blame him on that . Last year Moore was the primary ball handler and Roach was a sixth man . This year Proctor with Roach moving off ball. The one thing he does well is score but it’s hard to do that when teams know your the other scorer on the team . And everyone on this team makes what I call iso turnovers and lazy passes . Not one guard on this team is consistent.

If true, that will be tough to overcome. I still think they'll win enough to get in. But their season hasn't turned out to be the coronation everyone thought it would be thus far. Before the season, I had cheater fans telling me how they would run the table in the NCAA and ACC. I heard how Davis was going to be the king of the ACC. Most were talking undefeated or a one to two-loss season. And they all said that we stood no chance against them. Well....that hasn't aged well, and next to none of them talk to me about basketball now.

Reactions: sheyduke
I actually think Carolina's success came from two places. The first part of that was Dawson Garcia leaving in the middle of the season. That is what allowed Manek to play the 4 exclusively and all the other players had their role.

Hubert was trying to make Garcia and Manek flip from the 4 or the 5. Garcia looked like he was crying about his role and played soft. With him gone, and no injuries, Carolina could play the way Hubert wanted.

I think that unc is playing basically the same way they played last year sans the tourney run....Garcia leaving helped Manek play more, but they did two things that many unc fans always jab at Duke about....they played a core set of guys heavy minutes and jacked a ton of 3s....they just caught fire at the right time...surviving Baylor, oulasting UCLA, gifted the Peacocks, and breaking the hearts of our Blue Devils....THANK YOU KANSAS...:)

I do not like this talk about the Cheaters being dead. They have enough talent to right the ship.

I would not be surprised if their guards put aside their differences and selfish tendencies and start playing for keeps as the tournament nears. It's way too early to count them out.
def not done yet and they could go on a tear like last year, but since there last natty, they are
26-11
29-7
14-19
18-11
29-10
and curently 15-9

that will be 5 double digit loss seasons in the last 6 seasons and to their credit they have still appeared in 3 of the last 6 natty champ games excluding covid year and this year so far

Kentucky and North Carolina could be the play in game. That would be crazy to have 2 preseason top 5 teams in that game. I mean let's be honest the committee is not going to take a no name team over those 2 if it is close.

Caleb and RJ must have buried the hatchet, so to speak. With our luck, I'd say the cheats will go on a tear now. I'm in such a piss poor mood after that bullshit today.

Reactions: The_Only_Blue
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT