ADVERTISEMENT

Jay Bilas on Officiating this season...

denverexpat

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Feb 1, 2006
Apologies as this is behind the ESPN+ wall so if you dont have it you may not be able to read. The gist is that physical play is being allowed to negate creative and better players and that overall the foul count is down this year. Bilas equates today's games to hockey vs basketball as there has been a reversal of the rules that were implemented a few seasons ago to reward and protect more skills players. This is the link for those who can get there

Do you concur with his sentiments? It certain seems like some more physical play is being allowed on the drives and underneath.

Yes I do agree there is more physical play. I also feel that it's been very inconsistent. For example, after letting incidental body contact on shots at the basket go uncalled for the entire Wake game (which I like by the way), they called Williams at the end of the game.

I remember the year that impeding someone driving to the basket was a "point of emphasis". That lasted one year. I wish they would go back to that. As much as Duke is a physical team this year, it shouldn't take a Keels type physique to be able to drive to the basket.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT