ADVERTISEMENT

Is Carter staying???

Wendell could get hurt and he’d probably still be a top 10 pick. The nba doesn’t care about injuries. Giles was still a 1st rounder after doing almost nothing for two years . Nerlins Noel #6 pick in the draft torn acl. They’ll draft you based on potential almost regardless of what happens to you. I understand what you’re saying though about losing money and I get that. My point is carter will be okay waiting another year. Kids still going to get drafted, make millions and his second contract will still be huge. Staying an extra year isn’t the death sentence it’s made to be.
True he would still get drafted. However, a 100% healthy Nerlens Noel probably would have been the #1 pick, that was the Anthony Bennett draft, Nerlens was the top pick all season long until the injury. Nerlens injury cost him millions.
If Giles never tears his ACL a second time, he's a top 10 pick, probably top 5, his injury cost him over 10 slots, which equates to millions of dollars.

If he wants to come back to school but he's also worried about a potential injury, he could take out an insurance policy. Leonard Fournette took out two separate $10 million insurance policies while he was at LSU. Obviously there's a much higher risk with football, so it's much more likely for a football player to do this. But Carter has a lot of value so he might want to consider it if he's entertaining the idea of returning... I don't think he would do that, as taking the money while it's there seems like the more sensible approach. But, it's a possibility.

Wendell could get hurt and he’d probably still be a top 10 pick. The nba doesn’t care about injuries. Giles was still a 1st rounder after doing almost nothing for two years . Nerlins Noel #6 pick in the draft torn acl. They’ll draft you based on potential almost regardless of what happens to you. I understand what you’re saying though about losing money and I get that. My point is carter will be okay waiting another year. Kids still going to get drafted, make millions and his second contract will still be huge. Staying an extra year isn’t the death sentence it’s made to be.
I didn’t say it was a death sentence, I said it’s a dumb financial decision. If another year of cbb (notice I’m not saying college, bc Carter can still go to college and do NBA) is worth risking millions of dollars, then I’m wrong.

Also, things can happen worse than what happened to Harry and Nerlens. If you get flagged for a heart issue, if you get arrested or if you get a career ender, your draft position could plummet. Sure, it isn’t likely, but it’s a thought.

I like the idea of a 10 million dollar insurance policy.

I didn’t say it was a death sentence, I said it’s a dumb financial decision. If another year of cbb (notice I’m not saying college, bc Carter can still go to college and do NBA) is worth risking millions of dollars, then I’m wrong.

Also, things can happen worse than what happened to Harry and Nerlens. If you get flagged for a heart issue, if you get arrested or if you get a career ender, your draft position could plummet. Sure, it isn’t likely, but it’s a thought.

They can take out a $10 mill policy

The main benefit of him staying is he will have two or most likely three years of college complete if he decides to stay.

Well Monday is his birthday. I think we will hear something then. As they said in the Airborne community- Stand By.

Carter is gone. Glad he played for our Blue Devils, he was a beast. I hope him or Bags get drafted by the woeful Bulls and the other gets drafted by the Celtics.

I have word from a very good unnamed source that Carter is thinking about staying but that he [the unnamed source] has his own even better unnamed source that says Carter is leaving. Thing is, that source has his EVEN BETTER source that also says he leaves. Supposedly that guy actually knows Carter and Carter says he has a source that says he [Carter] definitely leaving.
Wait, who?

I was a Sophomore at UT when Peyton came back for his SR year. Crazier things have happened. Wish Wendell’s Dad would quit whining. I’m sure the staff told Trent and Duval they would be the key pieces on the team as well.

I was a Sophomore at UT when Peyton came back for his SR year. Crazier things have happened. Wish Wendell’s Dad would quit whining. I’m sure the staff told Trent and Duval they would be the key pieces on the team as well.

I doubt that

Carter reminds me a lot of Chris Bosh, not necessarily his game--although there are some real similarities. But both were extremely bright young men who were invested in education and had interests outside of basketball. Chris Bosh left after his first year at Georgia Tech to chase his dream---probably what Carter does. Buuuut....at the same time, in '03 that was one year longer than he had to stay in college. So just maybe Carter stays one longer too

I don't think his dad is whining. He's just looking at it from more of a business standpoint than anything else.

His parents will support him regardless of his decision.

Reactions: pisgah101
I don't think his dad is whining. He's just looking at it from more of a business standpoint than anything else.

and he played professional ball himself

I, too, think that he is probably gone. Especially after reading the last link but, both parents make great points and it shows that a lot of thinking, weighing heart and mind, is going into this decision. I want him to stay badly but in my eyes, he will be a true Blue Devil no matter what.

I’m good with his dad pushing for him to go to the NBA. Just think he’s whining about why he doesn’t want Wendell coming back based off him supposed to being the man last year and getting passed over again by the incoming Freshman.

I’m good with his dad pushing for him to go to the NBA. Just think he’s whining about why he doesn’t want Wendell coming back based off him supposed to being the man last year and getting passed over again by the incoming Freshman.

If your son was told that then we got another big how would you feel? Just curious

Last edited:

I just think he's trying to factor in everything. I mean, it's true that Duke has many dynamic wings coming into the fold next season. That's not made up. All of those kids are the kinds of players who dominate the ball more than the guards and wings we had this season. Now, there's both potential advantages and disadvantages to that from a dad's perspective. After all, he's looking out for his kid.

I think people are making too much of WC's dad comments. If he is worried about WC playing with good teammates, then moving up to the NBA is going to be particularly hard on him.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT