ADVERTISEMENT

Is Carter staying???

If he stayed, wouldn’t it be on the same level/surprise as Miles Bridges staying at MSU last year?
Not really because I think Miles was projected somewhere in the 16-20 range in last year’s draft. Don’t quote me on that but it seems like that’s where he was being projected.

I think Carter is gone but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion like some people on here are making it out to be. Some of the same people who say there is zero chance he comes back are the same people who said there was zero chance we would get Zion. Two lottery picks returned to school last year after all. Again, he will probably go. I just don't think there is absolutely no shot he comes back.

Reactions: pisgah101
Instanious thought when he got that 5th foul seeing him on the bench made me think (my first thought ) even with the game going on and everything happening ...he had at least a 1% chance...lol i actually think he really would fit fetter this coming year .

Reactions: springsportster
Lmao man, you cracking me up.
I got nothing else to do lol ....On disability. leave of absence ...bored death. Bad thing is if this happens what happens to Bolden? Or Vernon ? (I know he has to reclassify )Just to early for this endless supply of anxiety !!! Lmao

Last edited:
Reactions: christophero
I got nothing else to do lol ....On disability. leave of absence ...bored death. Bad thing is if this happens what happens to Bolden? Or Vernon ? Just to early for this endless supply of anxiety !!! Lmao
I hear you man! Well just continue to hope and make sure you give it 100% effort while doing it.

Reactions: IPSYCHOSIS
I still think he is gone, but let me make the case for him to stay...

The 2018 draft is extremely big-man heavy. Mostly all mock drafts have Ayton, Bagley, Jackson JR, Doncic, Bamba, and Porter JR all grouped together in some order for the top 6 picks. All 6 of these guys play PF or C. They are the "top tier." Not saying I agree, but the NBA drafts on potential, and they all have more potential than Wendell, however Wendell is better than most of these guys RIGHT NOW.
Wendell would be in the "2nd tier," not really any other bigs in this tier, he then falls in line with Trae Young, Sexton, Bridges, etc. This is not a good situation for Wendell, if he is the SEVENTH best big-man available in a guard heavy league, there is a great chance he goes outside the top 10.

Looking at the 2019 draft, much more friendly to Wendell, the top 5 consists of our 3 stud freshman in some order, along with the guy from Gonzaga. Many consider the 2019 draft to be weak, and not only could it be weak, it's very guard/wing heavy. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT WENDELL IS THE RARE CASE THAT HE COULD ACTUALLY IMPROVE HIS DRAFT SLOT BY COMING BACK. This for 2 reasons, 1. Again, a weaker 2019 draft, very weak for bigs and 2. He absolutely dominates college basketball next year.

I still think he is gone, but let me make the case for him to stay...

The 2018 draft is extremely big-man heavy. Mostly all mock drafts have Ayton, Bagley, Jackson JR, Doncic, Bamba, and Porter JR all grouped together in some order for the top 6 picks. All 6 of these guys play PF or C. They are the "top tier." Not saying I agree, but the NBA drafts on potential, and they all have more potential than Wendell, however Wendell is better than most of these guys RIGHT NOW.
Wendell would be in the "2nd tier," not really any other bigs in this tier, he then falls in line with Trae Young, Sexton, Bridges, etc. This is not a good situation for Wendell, if he is the SEVENTH best big-man available in a guard heavy league, there is a great chance he goes outside the top 10.

Looking at the 2019 draft, much more friendly to Wendell, the top 5 consists of our 3 stud freshman in some order, along with the guy from Gonzaga. Many consider the 2019 draft to be weak, and not only could it be weak, it's very guard/wing heavy. THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT WENDELL IS THE RARE CASE THAT HE COULD ACTUALLY IMPROVE HIS DRAFT SLOT BY COMING BACK. This for 2 reasons, 1. Again, a weaker 2019 draft, very weak for bigs and 2. He absolutely dominates college basketball next year.
Wendell was better than Bagley defensively and Bagley was better offensively.

Wendell was better than Bagley defensively and Bagley was better offensively.
True. But again the NBA drafts on potential. Bagley's potential is through the roof, while Carter is already a very polished player. I don't think Carter's arms are gonna get any longer or his vertical get any higher.
The NBA will teach Bagley how to play defense, and if he becomes a good defender, than wow.

Reactions: DukeRulesBasketball
I think about it like this if true.... I’d listen to Mom before Dad lmao. both want the opposite. I’d have to displease 1?? I’d have to displease Dad before Mom :)

Mom may be trying to improve people’s perception of her as well. Last couple months haven’t been great for her in the media, and her comments regarding Duke before he committed still piss some folks off. Saying she’s pulling for him to stay another year gets her a lot of good exposure and not just from Duke fans. Maybe I’m just cynical.

I'm torn between being hopeful and cynically saying they all say they're thinking of staying and they all leave. Well not everyone but I've heard this song before. Happy to be proven wrong.We'd be nearly unbeatable with Carter, and I think he knows this.

Instanious thought when he got that 5th foul seeing him on the bench made me think (my first thought ) even with the game going on and everything happening ...he had at least a 1% chance...lol i actually think he really would fit fetter this coming year .
That's what I thought too when I saw his face after the BS phantom call to end all BS phantom calls.

It is nice to see that he is forward-thinking enough to see the big picture value of returning to Duke for another year. But there is no way he is coming back.

Frankly, if I were in his position, I would 100% go. The fact that he is even considering staying I think says a lot about how great a kid he is and helps debunk the notion that all of the OAD kids couldn’t care less about school. Sadly, Jabari went through a similar journey about leaving and ultimately decided the NBA was in his best interest which I’m guessing happens here. Also this wouldn’t be the dumbest thing to plant in the press to show NBA teams what a smart, level-headed kid they are getting.

Not to repeat myself, but there are some decent Business/hoops reasons to return, beyond his love of Duke/education.
WC is a big that simply doesn't tick a lot of hot buttons for the NBA. He's not an elite athlete, he's not super long, and he doesn't have elite perimeter skills. He's more than good enough in all those areas, but he's not elite. Further, his lack of elite athleticism will show up more in the workout process, especially as he works against guys like Bamba, Jackson, Knox, and Robert Williams. Those guys are incredibly long, more athletic, and/or have better perimeter skills. I love WC, and I think teams are undervaluing what he brings to the table, but there you go. Next year, Duke will run out what amounts to an ideal NBA lineup and style of play. A sharp shooting PG, 3 versatile Fs that can play anywhere from PG to PF, and maybe some C in a pinch. Being the nominal Big alongside that group will really showcase WC's value to an NBA squad in a way that he couldn't this year. Frankly, I don't think his PPG would go up next year, but he'd be more efficient. If his D improved (and he was starting to really excel on that end down the stretch), along with an upswing in rebounding, he'd really pop for NBA types.
This year, as I've said, there are several bigs that more closely fit what the NBA wants right now. Not so next year. The best bigs in the current HS class are widely seen as needing 2+ years in school. None of them are in the super long, super athletic, or super (perimeter) skilled mold. Teams that need bigs next year, higher in the lottery than he's slotted this year, might relish the chance to draft a known commodity.

Reactions: BlueDaveil
All I know is this. A long time ago, I posted here that I thought Wendell was the kind of kid that may return no matter how well he did his freshmen year. dukiejay , and about 5 others here, basically called me an effing idiot and dogged me pretty hard. I just said okay. Here we are, he's really having a hard time with the decision. His Mom is saying he is 50/50 right now. He can come back, get a great education, a National Championship and will STILL make millions.

Wendell would be a perfect piece for next years team. Hard not to get hopes up on that. Lol

All I know is this. A long time ago, I posted here that I thought Wendell was the kind of kid that may return no matter how well he did his freshmen year. dukiejay , and about 5 others here, basically called me an effing idiot and dogged me pretty hard. I just said okay. Here we are, he's really having a hard time with the decision. His Mom is saying he is 50/50 right now. He can come back, get a great education, a National Championship and will STILL make millions.
I think I remember you saying that actually! Regardless of what others think, I respect your opinions and put a lot of stock in what you say. I mean good grief, you landed us Zion if I remember correctly! :D

At the time of his commitment, or at least when our recruitment of WC was ramping up, such a sentiment was pretty specious. Things change, and the landscape around WC changed.
Way back when, Ayton was seen as a supremely gifted player that didn't try very hard or play very hard. Bags was in the 18 class, and Jackson and Knox were ranked far below WC. And Bamba was another incredibly gifted, but raw, player whom no one was certain would "get it."
We are now firmly in the era of unicorns. Bags lofty HS ranking was largely built before that time. Prior to his commitment to Duke, I think a lot of folks thought he'd be the first or second big off the board, likely in the top 5 overall. Now that the draft wants have changed, and his peers improved, his stock has dipped slightly.
Normally, I'd tell a player projected in the first round, much less the late lottery, to go pro. I can't even fault such a decision, nor will I, if WC ultimately decides to do just that. I hope he enjoys the money if that happens. But WC has fallen into that realm known as Draft Hell. Teams not good enough make the playoffs, but not bad enough to draft a franchise changing talent. WC is an ideal third option on a team. He can defend and rebound, but probably isn't a top 2 scoring option on an elite team. There are some very poorly run teams in the middle to back end of the lottery. Not just bad teams, but teams that are badly run with no clear path forward. Teams like the Hornets wherein the organization seems happy to flirt with playoff status and enjoy profit sharing and being on TV when Bron comes to town. If I was WC, it might be worth it to come back and maybe move up to a better fit, even it a worse team.

Come on Show. We're just one big happy family around here. There's no bickering that goes on.
Family as in The Klumps.

Reactions: pisgah101
I think I remember you saying that actually! Regardless of what others think, I respect your opinions and put a lot of stock in what you say. I mean good grief, you landed us Zion if I remember correctly! :D

I remember this and gave you a thumnbs up!

When I got the ESPN update that his parents said he hadn't decided yet I got a huge wave of false hope. I'm more optimistic now than I was yesterday....

Just imagine being him, looking at the group coming in, fresh off of a E8 loss. I would be drooling with possibilities. I think he is the one freshman we could use the most next year. I'll keep the glass half full until the official announcement.

That being said, I would never expect him to stay when he is projected as a top 10 pick by almost everyone. Miles Bridges and Mikal Bridges were lottery projections last year, stayed, and are predicted in the lottery again this year. I don't think Wendell would hurt his stock by coming back at all. Plus he would most likely be the #1 big man in the 2019 draft.

I don't think I'm alone when I say he is the one I wanted to stay the most. I don't think he will, but I would extremely happy and excited if he did.

I'm not bickering at all. I love the posters here. I've just always felt Wendell is the kind of kid who would come back. First of all, he's smart as hell. Second, I know he loves Duke. Third , his family wants education to be on the top of the list.

When I got the ESPN update that his parents said he hadn't decided yet I got a huge wave of false hope. I'm more optimistic now than I was yesterday....

Just imagine being him, looking at the group coming in, fresh off of a E8 loss. I would be drooling with possibilities. I think he is the one freshman we could use the most next year. I'll keep the glass half full until the official announcement.

That being said, I would never expect him to stay when he is projected as a top 10 pick by almost everyone. Miles Bridges and Mikal Bridges were lottery projections last year, stayed, and are predicted in the lottery again this year. I don't think Wendell would hurt his stock by coming back at all. Plus he would most likely be the #1 big man in the 2019 draft.

I don't think I'm alone when I say he is the one I wanted to stay the most. I don't think he will, but I would extremely happy and excited if he did.

Number 2 big man. Bol Bol has the potential, and the willingness, to be the type of mobile rim protector on D that teams covet. With the added plus of him not being good enough in the short run to hurt a team's chances of getting a good draft pick the NEXT year.

Mom may be trying to improve people’s perception of her as well. Last couple months haven’t been great for her in the media, and her comments regarding Duke before he committed still piss some folks off. Saying she’s pulling for him to stay another year gets her a lot of good exposure and not just from Duke fans. Maybe I’m just cynical.
Didn’t think of that ...some fans did something to her I forgot though.. who knows theses days!

It is nice to see that he is forward-thinking enough to see the big picture value of returning to Duke for another year. But there is no way he is coming back.

Not a snowball's chance in hell on a July day.

He gone.

Maybe the whole Patriots argument between BIll , Robert , Tom, and Jimmy was just talking him up, acting like he wants him. trying to get better offers for him. (And did) Matt Cassell worked as well.. Pretty sure no1 knows what I’m talking about. lmao just a random thought bored...Althogh the trusty media thinks there’s a problem with the Patriots lmao. who knows anything ! Media is like a weapon these days .

Reactions: jwill133
In case anyone was wondering what Wendell might be considering, the #1 picks gets about 16 million guaranteed and a max of 36 million over his first 4 seasons, with the team having the option on the max offer after year 2. Compare this pay to the #10 pick getting 7 million guaranteed and 16 milion max over 4 years. If Wendell thought he could go from a #12 pick to #2 with an extra year of college, then it wouldn’t be insane to risk it. I think I’d take the 7 million and just trust myself to earn a good second contract. Seven million is plenty enough to buy a comfy life. Why risk everything to try and double it? One bad knee injury and you might miss out on that lottery money.

As a college professor, I’ll be lucky to have earned 2 million dollars by the time I’m 65. Wendell is guaranteed 3-4 times that amount in just two years and at the age of 21 by declaring now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alaskan_Assassin_21
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT