ADVERTISEMENT

If you have lost passion for Duke basketball.....

Did you quit on the program, or did the program quit on you?

• I sold out

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • They sold out

Votes: 14 82.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
There is one fairly simple answer to this that is really tough for some people to get on board with, but it's probably true in basketball more than any other sport: basketball is a game of matchups and Coach Larrinaga and his spread you out office attacks Duke at the heart of its defensive principals.

Duke loves to hedge ball screens and almost always defends over the top or fighting through. Unless we are way late in a game, we don't switch ball screens. If you aren't an elite, experienced defensive team, you're susceptible to being spread out and driven.

If you look back at all the games Coach L has done this to Duke teams, it's the same recipe every time. I've witnessed it twice in person - once in Miami against that 2014 Miami team that just obliterated us.

So you are saying somebody outcoached K? Hmmmmm some on here will defend this to the end or make an excuse

There is one fairly simple answer to this that is really tough for some people to get on board with, but it's probably true in basketball more than any other sport: basketball is a game of matchups and Coach Larrinaga and his spread you out office attacks Duke at the heart of its defensive principals.

Duke loves to hedge ball screens and almost always defends over the top or fighting through. Unless we are way late in a game, we don't switch ball screens. If you aren't an elite, experienced defensive team, you're susceptible to being spread out and driven.
If you look back at all the games Coach L has done this to Duke teams, it's the same recipe every time. I've witnessed it twice in person - once in Miami against that 2014 Miami team that just obliterated us.
Isn’t this it in a nutshell? K wont adjust?
I mean you just described how one coach always plays us....and that it mostly always works against us....

1) Why wouldn’t others do the same?
2) We continually can’t stop it no matter the roster
3) So if the roster keeps changing....what could be the problem for continually not being prepared?
4) If K won’t make adjustments...is he really coaching? What I mean is....is there a team concept? I think not outside of individual development....

We will see...heard this before
And when you heard it we were good. Our last few really talented teams lost because of a roll off the rim. That’s with questionable systems in place. The incoming top 100 class is much better at the top than this previous one.

Well how bout modeling it after the 90's duke teams...unless you want to model it over most OAD duke teams and have the best team but usually don't win any title...acc regular season or tournament or the ncaa tournament....and note I said most not all

What you're talking about doesn't exist anymore. College basketball was different then. Do you honestly think a guy like Grant Hill plays more than one year at Duke, or Laettner two?

The one thing Duke hasn't changed since the late 80s and early 90s? Recruiting the best players in the country.

What you're talking about doesn't exist anymore. College basketball was different then. Do you honestly think a guy like Grant Hill plays more than one year at Duke, or Laettner two?

The one thing Duke hasn't changed since the late 80s and early 90s? Recruiting the best players in the country.

Didn't mean it like that...yes I think hill plays more than 1 year but not 4

Our role players then we're flat out better players than they are now

Isn’t this it in a nutshell? K wont adjust?
I mean you just described how one coach always plays us....and that it mostly always works against us....
Mostly always? It’s less than half the time based on W-L record.

What is sad is I don’t even remember most of the OADs that has come through Duke!! These guys aren’t truly sold out to Duke when they show up on campus. They are sold out to themselves. Most of them could give a rats ass about those retired jerseys and banners hanging in the rafters. All they care about is draft status and their first Bentley. Just like the rest of the country,, history has been erased by the generations coming up now. World history and CIS history!
Have you ever had a kid of your own, in your family, or that you coached that has been recruited before? Wasn't your advice to them to pick the best place for THEM to grow as a player and reach their ultimate goal? Players go to places like Duke because of the exposure they get. They have no true connection to Duke to be truly sold and all in on the school

Q you can't question K on here just in case you didn't know...people get butthurt

Give me a break. When that’s all you have to point to, you have nothing.

One can reasonably think K is at partly at fault, while at the same not burying him in the mud. You’re not smart enough to understand that, though....so I’ve come to expect your childish, little rants.

I mean, seriously, read your posts from just in the last 24 hours. It’s like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Didn't mean it like that...yes I think hill plays more than 1 year but not 4

Our role players then we're flat out better players than they are now

Grant likely plays one year, and one year only. The game has just changed.

To the point about role players, I partly agree. But again, the changes in the game are part of it. Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore are the kind of players who should be here for three or four years, or were in the 90s. It’s not the case anymore.

If we could snap a finger and go back to the way things were, I think it’d be near unanimous by everyone. Back then, Duke got the best players and they stuck around. Today, Duke gets the best players and they leave. That’s not a reflection on Duke as much as it is the game today.

Even still, with the exception of this season and 2016, we’ve been a legitimate Final Four threat the last seven years, and one of the select favorites three or four times. We can certainly say the postseason success for the talent we’ve had has been disappointing, but it’s hard to understand any rationale that says Duke isn’t still among, if not the, premier program in the country.

This obviously isn't a great Duke team, and it is looking like they probably won't make the tournament. We are very fortunate as Duke fans in that that isn't something we say too often.

Looking at the last ten tournaments played (roughly the one-and-done era), I don't know that I would trade places with any other program as far as the frequency in which Duke is a legit championship contender.

2010 - Obviously a contender, with the banner to prove it.
2011 - Upset in the S16, but without question a NC contender and one of the best two or three teams in the country.
2012 - Not a legitimate contender.
2013 - Senior Mason, Ryan, and Seth that lost in E8 to eventual champion - this team was definitely NC good though.
2014 - Not a legitimate contender.
2015 - National Champions
2016 - Ingram and Grayson group was solid, but not a legit NC contender.
2017 - The argument is hurt by the second round loss (in which Duke played South Carolina in South Carolina, one of the biggest kicks in the balls you will see from the NCAA, but I digress), but I would call this team a legit contender for sure. Look no further than their unprecedented ACCT run in which they won 4 games, three of which were against tournament teams, two of which were against legit Final Four threats, and one of which was against the eventual champ.
2018 - Legit contender - a bad block/charge call and a rolled-out shot from the Final Four.
2019 - Legit contender and overall #1 seed in NCAAT.
2020 - Debatable here for sure, but trending the right way and looking like a likely 2 seed - hard not to call that a contender. But alas, no tournament.

In that 11 season window, Duke had what I would call a realistic chance 8 times. I don't know how many other programs could claim the same.

I know the predictable response from some that we should have won more over that time frame (despite multiple championships), but, again, who the hell else won more over that time? There are 26 tournament wins and two championships in ten tournaments. The list of programs that bests that is very small and might even be nonexistent, but I don't know. The best team doesn't always win, but you at least want a chance. The vast majority of the time, Duke has one. Don't lose your minds during one of the rare times they don't.

Give me a break. When that’s all you have to point to, you have nothing.

One can reasonably think K is at partly at fault, while at the same not burying him in the mud. You’re not smart enough to understand that, though....so I’ve come to expect your childish, little rants.

I mean, seriously, read your posts from just in the last 24 hours. It’s like something out of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Grant likely plays one year, and one year only. The game has just changed.

To the point about role players, I partly agree. But again, the changes in the game are part of it. Matthew Hurt and Wendell Moore are the kind of players who should be here for three or four years, or were in the 90s. It’s not the case anymore.

If we could snap a finger and go back to the way things were, I think it’d be near unanimous by everyone. Back then, Duke got the best players and they stuck around. Today, Duke gets the best players and they leave. That’s not a reflection on Duke as much as it is the game today.

Even still, with the exception of this season and 2016, we’ve been a legitimate Final Four threat the last seven years, and one of the select favorites three or four times. We can certainly say the postseason success for the talent we’ve had has been disappointing, but it’s hard to understand any rationale that says Duke isn’t still among, if not the, premier program in the country.

Partly? Hahahaha

Don't read my post then ole holy one...I forgot you know everything about everything

Grant would have played 2 years

To add to my point above, one of the names that comes to mind as a highly successful program over that span is Villanova, the only other team to win multiple championships in that timeframe.

Over those ten tournaments, they amassed 17 total wins (to Duke's 26), including two second round losses as a 2 seed, and two second round losses as a 1 seed. A little further perspective.

That 94 team was one of my favorites.

Hill pretty much carried that team to the Championship game. We where up ten in it too before losing...

I remember they where not supposed to beat Florida that year in the tournament...it’s was an awesome run.

Probably one of the best tournaments K ever coached. Hill helped a lot...lol

Reactions: christophero
Other than 2015 when have we overachieved in the last decade? Crawling into the sweet 16 in 2016 after nearly losing a big lead to Yale (who had upset Baylor) and then getting blasted by the Ducks does not really seem like overachieving. But yes we are in the hunt most years. Hopefully next year will be better. Maybe they surprise everyone Saturday. A win over the Tar Heels is just what we need right now, but if we don't show up and play smart it could get ugly. Sorry if negative just feeling a little glass half empty after the last few weeks.

Last edited:
Have you ever had a kid of your own, in your family, or that you coached that has been recruited before? Wasn't your advice to them to pick the best place for THEM to grow as a player and reach their ultimate goal? Players go to places like Duke because of the exposure they get. They have no true connection to Duke to be truly sold and all in on the school
Are you sure of that? Some of the posters seem to be making assumptions about how the kids feel about the school based solely from their decision to leave after one year. K does like the kids to unpack their bags and take advantage of the school. Some come back over the summer to get their degrees. There are plenty of students who look at college as a place to hang out and party for four years before they have to get jobs. Does the fact that they stay four years mean they are more "sold" on their school than kids who come in and represent the university for one year.

Other than 2015 when have we overachieved in the last decade? Crawling into the sweet 16 in 2016 after nearly losing a big lead to Yale (who had upset Baylor) and then getting blasted by the Ducks does not really seem like overachieving. But yes we are in the hunt most years. Hopefully next year will be better. Maybe they surprise everyone Saturday. A win over the Tar Heels is just what we need right now, but if we don't show up and play smart it could get ugly. Sorry if negative just feeling a little glass half empty after the last few weeks.
It’s nearly impossible for Duke to overachieve. When your goal every year is NC, overachieving doesn’t happen.

Yooo Grant would have played 2 years! FACTS! Get it right !😂😂😂 I’m suprised you even entertained him man 🤔

Do you know he wouldn't have? Oh yeah you probably do...cause like others you seem to know everything

He isn't a primadona like most are...he didn't need money

It does seem weird that we won the title in 2001 and Williams, Boozer, Dunleavy and Duhon all returned the next year. That would never happen now. Maybe Duhon comes back.

Do you know he wouldn't have? Oh yeah you probably do...cause like others you seem to know everything

He isn't a primadona like most are...he didn't need money
I just want to know one thing. How old are you ? 😂

Wow something you didn't already know...didn't think that was possible.
F off
I’m asking...you either got to be knocking on heavens door and lost all motor functional ability or 13 lol . I’m so curious

I’m not the one saying Grant would have stayed 2 years..... but I know everything 🤔

Sorry grant would have stayed one year especially given his injury plagued NBA career.

I hear this a lot. It’s valid, because clearly none of us are thrilled with recent NCAAT success....or maybe disappointment is the better word. Because there’s really no other program who has been more successful. That also makes it hard to overachieve.

I wasn’t even alive so I don’t know a damn thing about Grant staying; leaving, blah blah. . But what I do know is Jay said “iikely would have left after a year” and you wanna argue and say he WOULD have stayed for 2..at the same time saying “EVERYBODY KNOWS EVERYTHING”..that’s all I know...😂 lol

Well Mr Richard head...seeing that I don't know him personally it was implied it was IMO...you weren't alive so you don't know shit....jay? Lol

Go to bed

va, you literally, are the biggest unwanted asshole to ever hit rivals. It’s got to suck to be as miserable of a prick as you are. It’s also got to suck, or perhaps you’re proud of it, to be the biggest reason 85 % of the best posters who ever posted here have created a new forum. Do you enjoy just spreading dissent every damn day? Here’s a challenge, our last 4 games. Go to the game threads here and just roll through and read your reply’s only. Dude, that’s a huge conglomeration of sadness. You, and about 8 or 9 others, single handedly destroyed this board. You sound like a broken, miserable record. I’ve never understood why guys dig in and stay at a forum where 90% of its posters literally despise you, but hey, I guess you’re that guy. You talk like Duke deserted you. Buddy, you don’t even deserve to pull for this program. You’re a chump.

I think part of it (whatever "it" is) is with so many new faces coming in every season, it is hard to grow attached to players. Zion was a fluke who we all got attached to. But gone are the days of Battier and Jay Williams. Hell, I'd settle for a Horvath lol. And part of it is Covid has kinda ruined sports for me this last year. I was a freshmen in college in 2001 and man, those were fun Duke teams to watch. Really lucky to have seen them play

I think part of it (whatever "it" is) is with so many new faces coming in every season, it is hard to grow attached to players. Zion was a fluke who we all got attached to. But gone are the days of Battier and Jay Williams. Hell, I'd settle for a Horvath lol. And part of it is Covid has kinda ruined sports for me this last year. I was a freshmen in college in 2001 and man, those were fun Duke teams to watch. Really lucky to have seen them play
Furthermore we had an immense rivalry with Maryland at the time, even meeting in the NCAA Tournament (Final Four).

Rivalries have declined in almost all sports but they are especially important in College athletics where history and traditions are central to the fan experience. College Football is facing the same dilemma and their stars feature for an extra year or two.

As a fan I don't think there is anything superior today except the number of outlets avaliable to watch. But that has never been an issue for the marquee programs. On the flip side there is ALOT that has worsened for the fan.

Reactions: Showenuff
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT