ADVERTISEMENT

Henderson Hanstravel Podcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

2004Audi

Devils Illustrated Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2007
they did a podcast together the other day talking about the elbow incident and this years upcoming teams. gerald, imo, basically said his elbow was not intentional and he was trying to foul him hard so there were no more layups in that game. beyond that the podcast was a snooze. these guys were reaching to find something to talk about. at any rate, if anyone is interested its called tobacco road podcast and i think they will do one every week.

Cool. I'll have to check that out.

I've always been of the opinion that G was definitely trying to foul hard, but that Hansbrough's face wasn't the target. If you recall, the foul that stopped play was actually called on Steve Johnson. He interfered w/ Hansbrough's jump and G was already airborne, so Hansbrough wasn't where G projected him to be.

Of course, when it actually happened, UNC fans wouldn't hear any explanation other than G deliberately hit him in the nose, as if he'd punched him in a fight. You can't reason with that, so I've trolled them most of the time ever since, claiming G'd forearm was assaulted, etc.

I think we all would have popped a vein had the situation been reversed and Tyler hammered Gerald. That was a team pissed that the other team was winning and their star still in there, hell I was mad that Roy still had the lumbering bull in there with game already over.

Reactions: hart2chesson
Funny thing is the tarhole fans said it was a good thing they held hanstraveier back or he would’ve killed G......ummmm ok, he was crying like a little beotch.

Prior to that play, DI and THR (then CarolinaBlue) were on pretty good standing. A lot of us posted there and a lot of them posted here. Let's just say cooler heads did not win out. It got pretty ugly. K's comment after the game where he said 'Gerald was the real victim' sent them over the edge. I knew what K meant when he said it....that Gerald would be looked at as the asshole long term. That said, K probably shouldn't have said it at the time.

Reactions: ticket2ride04
Prior to that play, DI and THR (then CarolinaBlue) were on pretty good standing. A lot of us posted there and a lot of them posted here. Let's just say cooler heads did not win out. It got pretty ugly. K's comment after the game where he said 'Gerald was the real victim' sent them over the edge. I knew what K meant when he said it....that Gerald would be looked at as the asshole long term. That said, K probably shouldn't have said it at the time.
Wow, yeah, that did mark the end of an amiable relationship w/ THR.

I thought K's comment was to make himself the lightning rod and take the focus off G as much as possible.

I thought it was the "nanner puddin" and hof coach roy williams' ties that was the downfall of the relationship. All these years I thought it was my fault. OFC

I wasn’t much older than a teenager when that game occurred but I believe it. I listened to the game on the radio on the way home. I remember a lot of my fellow UNC fans were beside themselves when it happened. Not a good day for the rivalry.

It certainly was a propane tank in a flame that's burned for many years.

K was right. Swofford of course suspended G for the 1st game of the tournament, and K later would say he nearly sat that game out HIMSELF in protest of the suspension.

OFC

Roy opting to continue to play his starters ultimately caused this. Henderson didn't hit Hansbrough on purpose, but he sure wasn't going to let unc have an easy look.

I don’t buy that. That’s the cheap way out, just like UNC fans saying Gerald was trying to hurt him on purpose. K has played starters longer than he should have in games too. No one was at fault. It was a hotly contested rivalry game and things got out of hand. It wasn’t the first time it happened or the last.

K was right. Swofford of course suspended G for the 1st game of the tournament, and K later would say he nearly sat that game out HIMSELF in protest of the suspension.

OFC

I never said K was wrong. Just said he shouldn’t have said what he said at the time. As for the Swofford comment, you’re way too paranoid for your own good. You probably think Bilas was behind it, too.

Oh come on, really? You’re going to blame Roy for an opposing player hitting another in the face?

He will. Trust me.

Wow, yeah, that did mark the end of an amiable relationship w/ THR.

I thought K's comment was to make himself the lightning rod and take the focus off G as much as possible.

I think that’s fair too. It’s not the first time K has laid under the bus for one of his players.

While that also marked the end of an amicable relationship with THR, it was also when they were transitioning from CB to THR. A lot of the regular posters over there quit posting altogether. They used to have twice as many posters over there as we had here, and now I’d say it’s almost the opposite. They kind of let the inmates run the asylum....turned a lot of posters off and they left.

I don’t buy that. That’s the cheap way out, just like UNC fans saying Gerald was trying to hurt him on purpose. K has played starters longer than he should have in games too. No one was at fault. It was a hotly contested rivalry game and things got out of hand. It wasn’t the first time it happened or the last.

I never said K was wrong. Just said he shouldn’t have said what he said at the time. As for the Swofford comment, you’re way too paranoid for your own good. You probably think Bilas was behind it, too.

He will. Trust me.

Gerald Henderson did not hurt Tyler on purpose. Hansbrough maintains that as do I. But to blame Roy for it is completely counterintuitive.

Reactions: skysdad
Gerald Henderson did not hurt Tyler on purpose. Hansbrough maintains that as do I. But to blame Roy for it is completely counterintuitive.
What do you expect them to say when the microphone or camera is put in front of them?
Roy left Tyler in too long, K was pissed to not only lose, but to see the Holes run the score up on his team. Emotions ran high, and Gerald wacked the sh*% out of him, and he wasn't making a play on the ball.
Back in 01, I remember a guy from GT intentionally elbowed Dunleavy in the face on a free throw attempt. Not long later, Boozer was going down court, and as he passed the GT guy who had elbowed his teammate, he returned the favor, getting a technical for it. That's sports.

What do you expect them to say when the microphone or camera is put in front of them?
Roy left Tyler in too long, K was pissed to not only lose, but to see the Holes run the score up on his team. Emotions ran high, and Gerald wacked the sh*% out of him, and he wasn't making a play on the ball.
Back in 01, I remember a guy from GT intentionally elbowed Dunleavy in the face on a free throw attempt. Not long later, Boozer was going down court, and as he passed the GT guy who had elbowed his teammate, he returned the favor, getting a technical for it. That's sports.

Are you kidding? That Tyler was left in a tad too long for your liking that means he deserved a broken nose? Nothing UNC had done before that point justified that play. Nothing. So don’t even try to write it off as a legitimate play.

Are you kidding? That Tyler was left in a tad too long for your liking that means he deserved a broken nose? Nothing UNC had done before that point justified that play. Nothing. So don’t even try to write it off as a legitimate play.
No, I'm not kidding. I didn't say he deserved to get his nose busted up, nor did I blame Roy for it getting busted.
Anyone, and I mean anyone who has ever played team ball, whether it's rec league or higher Team ball knows you protect your team. I said Gerald didn't make a play on the ball. Roy left his star in there too long, and I think it pissed K off. Did he tell Gerald to whack him in face, I doubt it, but crap like this happens when emotions get high. Do you see pitchers throw at a batter when a hitter shows him up, or Cam Newton get hit with maybe a cheap shot after he does his Superman imitation? If you would have read my post from earlier in the day, I said Duke fans would have been mad had it been reversed.
I'm right. Calm down.

Not a legit play but not unusual to attempt a hard foul with seconds to play with the game well in hand and an all American trying to seal a victory with a jam after an offensive board on a foul shot.

The play shouldn’t have happened for a lot of reasons, but it isn’t unusual for competitors to show some defiance in that scenario.

Truthfully neither player should have been in the game at that point.

I don’t buy that. That’s the cheap way out, just like UNC fans saying Gerald was trying to hurt him on purpose. K has played starters longer than he should have in games too. No one was at fault. It was a hotly contested rivalry game and things got out of hand. It wasn’t the first time it happened or the last. As for the Swofford comment, you’re way too paranoid for your own good. You probably think Bilas was behind it, too.

I'm "paranoid??" " Lighten up Frances, this is a message board." I am glad several weeks ago you admitted to being "condescending" on occasion. You can't help it though, its in your DNA.

I believe I said Swofford suspended Hendo, but never did I say it stemmed from an anti-Duke perspective. I only said what K said later on in an interview looking back,that he "almost sat the game out" because of the suspension. Btw one of the reporters in the postgame media pool also asked Roy about his starters being in at that point in the game. He said "their starters were in too." Weak in that situation I thought- game was over...

OFC

Last edited:
Oh come on, really? You’re going to blame Roy for an opposing player hitting another in the face?

What was it Mac said? "Calm down."Do you really think if Hansbrough had not been in there dunking w/seconds remaining in a rivalry game that was decided it would have happened?

We would have run the same risk had Okafor been dunking on you guys in a decided game w/seconds remaining.Hey, I would be angry like you too CB, but I would have known K shouldnt have had him in the game.

OFC

What was it Mac said? "Calm down."Do you really think if Hansbrough had not been in there dunking w/seconds remaining in a rivalry game that was decided it would have happened?

We would have run the same risk had Okafor been dunking on you guys in a decided game w/seconds remaining.Hey, I would be angry like you too CB, but I would have known K shouldnt have had him in the game.

OFC
To be fair John Henson was in a blowout game late, dunking , and showboating and giving a death stare towards our bench. I think that game was 82-50? I wish someone had given him the Dusty Rhodes elbow.

Last edited:
To be fair John Henson was in a blowout game late, dunking , and showboating and giving a death stare towards our bench. I think that game was 82-50? I wish someone had given him them Dusty Rhodes elbow.

Good show QC!

OFC

I'm "paranoid??" " Lighten up Frances, this is a message board." I am glad several weeks ago you admitted to being "condescending" on occasion. You can't help it though, its in your DNA.

I believe I said Swofford suspended Hendo, but never did I say it stemmed from an anti-Duke perspective. I only said what K said later on in an interview looking back,that he "almost sat the game out" because of the suspension. Btw one of the reporters in the postgame media pool also asked Roy about his starters being in at that point in the game. He said "their starters were in too." Weak in that situation I thought- game was over...

OFC

You’re condescending too, Sgt. Hulka. Don’t pretend otherwise.

And you maybe didn’t say it about Swofford, but you implied it. Don’t pretend you didn’t....

Reporters asked a lot in that press conference. Does one question make your point or mine? No.

I still think Bilas probably had something to do with it. He was like Roger McDowell, the second spitter...over there in the bushes.

Having starters in at the end of a 12-point game is nothing. There is nothing objective or factual about claiming otherwise, and it's just an opinion that has little credibility. It's as if in the 10+ years since we've accepted K's comment as Gospel and dug our foot backs in over it. G wasn't even a regular starter that season. He was a freshman reserve who was coming on strong down the stretch and warranted as many minutes off the bench as possible.

And you can't very well take Hansbrough out when he's shooting free throws... And you can't very well take him out when he misses the free throw... And you can't really fault him for hustling and getting the rebound and going back up with it.

I think G absolutely made a play on the ball. But Johnson's foul meant the ball wasn't where he thought the ball would be, and Hansbrough's big dopey face was.

You’re condescending too, Sgt. Hulka. Don’t pretend otherwise. "(Quote)

Thanks for admitting it again. Maybe I am, but I dont get consistently personal w/the "whats your reading comprehension level?" "Quit eating paint chips," "you're acting my 3 year old." comments. With you its clockwork w/various posters and only SELECT POSTERS at that. Certain ones are off-limits, you pick your spots.

"And you maybe didn’t say it about Swofford, but you implied it. Don’t pretend you didn’t..."
(Quote)

Didnt say it. Wasnt "implied." "Paranoia" on your end maybe??

"Reporters asked a lot in that press conference. Does one question make your point or mine? No." (Quote)

Didnt say it did, just pointed it out...

"I still think Bilas probably had something to do with it. He was like Roger McDowell, the second spitter...over there in the bushes."(quote)

Now that was funny...:D

OFC

Reactions: Mac9192
UnCheats had every right to have their starters still in the game just as K would have if the roles were reversed. I don't know all the reasons G assaulted Hansbrough or if it was intentional or not. I do however know the crying and look of Hansbrough's face will stick with me forever. He was a really tough payer so to see him crying was priceless.

Last edited:
UnCheats had every right to have their starters still in the game just as K would have if the roles were reversed. I don't know all the reasons G assaulted Hansbrough or if it was intentional or not. I do however know the crying and look of Hansbrough's face will stick with me forever. He was a really tough payer so to see him crying was priceless.
Tears are an involuntary reaction to a broken nose.

You must have loved it when Wayne Ellington's dad was murdered.
I'm sorry but I don't keep up with Wayne Ellington any longer but I'm never glad to hear of any ones dad being murdered. I really did enjoy hanstravel crying though. Dat why don't you put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.

I'm sorry but I don't keep up with Wayne Ellington any longer but I'm never glad to hear of any ones dad being murdered. I really did enjoy hanstravel crying though. Dat why don't you put me on ignore if you don't like what I say.
I bet Wayne Ellington cried. You could probably find someone w/ paparazzi pics from the funeral so you could get a good laugh out of them.

I bet Wayne Ellington cried. You could probably find someone w/ paparazzi pics from the funeral so you could get a good laugh out of them.
Why would I do that when its your idea. Thats also really a rather dark and creepy thing to even think of man. Hurry up and find that ignore button.

Well Dat thats what you always do isn't it. Differ, You do have the well earned reputation as the most differing person as well as the most divisive person on the entire Di board. Please don't bother me anymore.

Would you post some please? We would all just get a big laugh out of some funeral pics. We all need a good laugh after the loss today.
You're such a sweet person Datt, and an inspiration to all here on DI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT