ADVERTISEMENT

Harry Giles

Jones is a guard. Not the same.

Maybe I misunderstood, but what I'm saying is that a perimeter player is more likely to have a breakout offensive game than a big guy because anyone can get hot from the perimeter whereas big guys are based on a skill that's not likely to come and go. Having said that, my statement is not a comment on Giles' abilities. I haven't seen enough of him to even have an opinion on that.

What says that it has to be a big offensive game that decides it. Amile and Matt were hugely important in 2015 because of their defense which showed up in the NC game. The point was, someone you might not expect to have a big game will have one to spark the team.

sobe, I decided to look at this thread when I saw you were the last to post, knowing you would post some sort of idiocy. Thank you for delivering, once again.
Ok, somebody said Giles has NBA goals for "the right reasons". If you don't see how that begs the question the maybe you should wear a helmet.

Harry just looks lost sometimes to me. He's gonna be lost in the NBA next year too if he goes and pretty sure he will. Wish he would give Duke one more year but he really has no choice. OFC
I agree completely Sky. Really looks like a good kid. I can't blame him at all but it sure is a screwed up system between the NBA and College basketball. As they say 'it is what it is'

Harry just looks lost sometimes to me. He's gonna be lost in the NBA next year too if he goes and pretty sure he will. Wish he would give Duke one more year but he really has no choice. OFC

He might be lost at Duke next year, though, too.

When I say Giles should go after this season it's not because I think he 'should' go, it's because it's the best option for him and his situation. We all know he's not ready, but being ready or not isn't what makes one a first-round pick with a guaranteed contract.

He might be lost at Duke next year, though, too.

When I say Giles should go after this season it's not because I think he 'should' go, it's because it's the best option for him and his situation. We all know he's not ready, but being ready or not isn't what makes one a first-round pick with a guaranteed contract.

I said the same thing in my own way. OFC

Reactions: dbav and dukiejay
I think Giles will end up being a good pro. He has struggled with the pace of the game and his assignment, but I think he'll get it together in the league, in time. I couldn't imagine taking 2 years off, then coming back, to this years ACC.

I know injuries are the reason, but is Giles one of the biggest busts we have seen from a #1 overall recruit? I was trying to think of other players who were so highly recruited and had such little production. Everything I read before the season was how he was such a phenom.

I know injuries are the reason, but is Giles one of the biggest busts we have seen from a #1 overall recruit? I was trying to think of other players who were so highly recruited and had such little production. Everything I read before the season was how he was such a phenom.
Injuries are the reason. Really don't need to go further than that.

I won't call him a bust for the very reason you suggested. Anyone thinking he was going to be the Harry Giles of old this year was doing so with Duke glasses on. Did I expect such little contribution especially at this point in the season, no, but still....bust is a strong word

I think if Giles thinks he's going to get better, he should come back. If he improves to even close to his former self, he will be a top 5 pick easy next year, which would likely actually mean more money. The downside is if he doesn't get better next year, there's a much better chance he falls out of the first round and never gets paid.

I think if Giles thinks he's going to get better, he should come back. If he improves to even close to his former self, he will be a top 5 pick easy next year, which would likely actually mean more money. The downside is if he doesn't get better next year, there's a much better chance he falls out of the first round and never gets paid.

I get what you are saying......several times PRO's will bet on themselves by not taking a extension they don't like and will play on a 1 year deal to prove themselves again and then get a bigger contract.

The thing here is they have made a lot of money already and can take that risk. Should an 18 yr old take a risk of this magnitude that can change his life for the better for the sake of trying to prove himself in college for 10-15 draft spots? Everyone knows that they get PAID on there 2nd contract, so he can make that up easy if he develops, if he comes back to Duke and does not get better then he could lose 4-6 million of guaranteed money that he can NEVER get back.

If you had a 5 million dollar lottery ticket, would you risk it for the chance to win 20 million?

I am not going to call him a bust, that wouldn't be fair to the kid. Hes been thru a lot of turmoil, and he seems like a quality youngster. However, I have to say theres just as strong an argument if he stays at Duke next year, he still doesnt progress much further than the point he's at now.

OFC

To me he seems lost on the floor..I think he struggles with structure on the court.

In High School he had elite athleticism compared to everyone else and structure didn't matter that much...in college his athleticism is lost due to this knee injuries...hopefully it fully returns someday but who knows...everyone he plays against has elite athleticism or at least well above average...and he doesn't understand the nuinances of the game...especially defensively he just wonders and is offten out of position...his athleticism can't make up for that difference right now...maybe never again...only time will tell..

I would agree coming back makes good sense...he needs time to develop and gain more basketball understanding on the court...especially if he never fully returns to his elite athleticism...then he has to have supreme knowledge and awareness...

I also totally understanding losing millions due to another knee injury...and this is why he will go IMO....

Reactions: youngman42
To me he seems lost on the floor..I think he struggles with structure on the court.

In High School he had elite athleticism compared to everyone else and structure didn't matter that much...in college his athleticism is lost due to this knee injuries...hopefully it fully returns someday but who knows...everyone he plays against has elite athleticism or at least well above average...and he doesn't understand the nuinances of the game...especially defensively he just wonders and is offten out of position...his athleticism can't make up for that difference right now...maybe never again...only time will tell..

I would agree coming back makes good sense...he needs time to develop and gain more basketball understanding on the court...especially if he never fully returns to his elite athleticism...then he has to have supreme knowledge and awareness...

I also totally understanding losing millions due to another knee injury...and this is why he will go IMO....

I agree with you 100 percent. I understand taking the money and bolting but if I am a GM and I am watching him there are glimpses every now and then but as a whole he does look lost in terms of being able to play with structure. I am afraid if he leaves after this year he will be out of the league in 2 to 3 years.

If you had a 5 million dollar lottery ticket, would you risk it for the chance to win 20 million?

I'll take it one step further. Would you risk that 5 million ticket for a 20 million ticket when you can take the 5 million and still have a chance to get another 15 million ticket if things go your way

He's going to be as good as he is going to be whether he stays another year or not. It's a silly discussion unless he's really a Rockefeller.

I'll take it one step further. Would you risk that 5 million ticket for a 20 million ticket when you can take the 5 million and still have a chance to get another 15 million ticket if things go your way

He's going to be as good as he is going to be whether he stays another year or not. It's a silly discussion unless he's really a Rockefeller.
Heck yeah I would!! I'm not very risk averse as it is, but you're giving me a chance to make an extra $15 mil? Sign me up!

Heck yeah I would!! I'm not very risk averse as it is, but you're giving me a chance to make an extra $15 mil? Sign me up!

You'll have that chance anyway. You're giving up a guaranteed 5 mil for no financial reason whatsoever. Basically you are risking getting zip in order to potentially get an extra 3 or 4 more over the first 3 years. After those first 3, you are what you are regardless of where you were drafted.

Last edited:
Giles has a mental block and I think a lot came with his set back when he had the knee scrape.

Also remember this is a big playing without a true point guard and Duke is not really using their bigs. I think he is already weighing all this and I think he knows the pros and cons

You'll have that chance anyway. You're giving up a guaranteed 5 mil for no financial reason whatsoever. Basically you are risking getting zip in order to potentially get an extra 3 or 4 more over the first 3 years. After those first 3, you are what you are regardless of where you were drafted.

Again, this is assuming he's guaranteed to be a 1st round pick. It's not an unreasonable speculation to think some team below 20 will take a flyer on him. But, from an evaluation process, teams have to wonder if he will ever overcome those knee issues. No way is he a legit 1st rounder. And, if he doesn't go in the 1st round, he's likely not playing anywhere next year.

There's two threads on Harry Giles (but the other one was just related to his play at Duke). Thought I'd comment a bit more on Giles in the NBA.

Last night's game assured he's going in the 1st round, imo. I think doubts could have been raised about that prior to the 2nd half. However, he will still take a few seasons to develop as a player. I'd say season 3-4 if he remains healthy. Physically he'll get bullied around the NBA at this stage. But, if a team is willing to wait they have great potential.

Giles reminds me of Grant Hill. A great athlete who also has great 'basketball athleticism' - and if he develops timing, physical strength, and gets to 100% he will be a deadly transition player. He has smoothness, finesse, and length. Still not a great player by any means but we are starting to see the flash of his potential. Hope he continues to elevate his game in the tourney - if he does and we go deep - his stock will continue to rise.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT