ADVERTISEMENT

Gary Trent headed to the NBA

Darn. Good luck Gary. This explains us pursuing the grad transfer, who just went from a luxury to a need.

I had some hope, but was doubtful. No one stays at Duke at second more than they have to. It is what it is. But good luck to Gary and thank you. Sorry if that sounded negative.

Anybody who is surprised by this just doesn't understand today's basketball world. It's at the point where if a player has a chance to go in the first round and guaranteed to go in the second, they're pretty much gone. And more power to them.

Can't fault the players, it's their life, their choice. I just wish we would stop recruiting five in five out. But it is what it is.

Yeah it's a little frustrating but I get it. It's just starting to feel like Groundhog Day. But we have a great class coming in. Who will likely all be gone this time next year. Just venting.

Just saw on ESPN that Gary is the #52 prospect. That’s barely in second round. Is that correct?

Reactions: pisgah101
Good luck to him! But, it is a shame. The Shane Battier's are few and far between now (4 year players with super talent). Then again, I wonder if Battier would have stayed 2,3 or 4 years if he played today. Probably not... A guy can wish though :)

Yeah it's a little frustrating but I get it. It's just starting to feel like Groundhog Day. But we have a great class coming in. Who will likely all be gone this time next year. Just venting.
But if you look at the 19 class, we have Joey Baker, and Girard more than likely coming in who are multi year players. I think Isaiah Stewart will be a multi year player as well as Wendell Moore(If he comes to Duke). The only sure fire OAD that Duke is looking at is Carey, Hurt, Antoine, and Anthony. I guess the point I’m trying to make is that Duke seems like Duke might be switching things up and are trying to get more players that will stick around instead of going head strong into the OAD market like these past years.

Anyone mad at these kids for choosing to chase their dreams is dumb as hell! This is an NBA rule; not a Gary Trent, Jr. rule. This is the OAD era. Assume ALL 5 stars/highly ranked recruits are gone after one year no matter mock draft positions. The coaches certainly did by recruiting their replacements.

Last edited:
Anyone mad at these kids for choosing to chase their dreams is dumb as hell! This is an NBA rule; not a Gary Trent, Jr. rule. This is the OAD and era. Assume ALL 5 stars/highly ranked recruits are gone after one year no matter mock draft positions. The coaches certainly did by recruiting their replacements.

I don't think anyone here is mad, but it's okay to feel a kid isn't ready. One could certainly make a case for Trent not being ready. Outside of his NBA-ready frame, and shot (inconsistent or not), what else is ready? You're right though - time to chase that dough. Smart business decision for sure.

Agreed. No one questions a first rounder leaving but losing second rounders is becoming the new norm. I think we're all just adjusting.

Reactions: pisgah101
It is but Cremo and Bolden and Javin and AOC would address that to a degree. Hopefully we retain all four.

I don't think anyone here is mad, but it's okay to feel a kid isn't ready. One could certainly make a case for Trent not being ready. Outside of his NBA-ready frame, and shot (inconsistent or not), what else is ready? You're right though - time to chase that dough. Smart business decision for sure.

And it's not just Duke fans here, but on other social media platforms. Why not just support the kid? I'm sure he and Duval thought this through with all available information made to them. Based on what's coming in next season, their opportunities would be limited and could go from second round to undrafted. This may be their best time to leave when you factor in everything. Look at what happened to Melo Tremble. Who? Yeah, he should've left after one year. These players are almost put into "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations. How bout to just saying "Good luck. You're a Dukie for life" blah blah and look forward to the next class. The OAD rule has everyone trying to CYOA (cover your own ass). We don't get mad when coaches do that; why are we mad when players do it? And some fans think mock drafts are set in stone or will not fluctuate between now and Draft Night.

Just like when coaches move on we wish them the best; we need to do the same for the players.

Ok rant over!

A great talent and kid. Loved watching you play, thanks for picking Duke! Go have a great career!

Reactions: Quavarius
A bit rude to one our own, no?

Rude? No it's true. The kid is making a fine financial decision for the short-term but not a smart one for the future. I hope he has a long career but just like socal said he's not ready

Anyone mad at these kids for choosing to chase their dreams is dumb as hell! This is an NBA rule; not a Gary Trent, Jr. rule. This is the OAD era. Assume ALL 5 stars/highly ranked recruits are gone after one year no matter mock draft positions. The coaches certainly did by recruiting their replacements.
For me. I am not mad at them at all. I wish them well. I am just over recruiting five in and five out every year. I want Duke to win championships and this method proves every year not to win championships.

Rude? No it's true. The kid is making a fine financial decision for the short-term but not a smart one for the future. I hope he has a long career but just like socal said he's not ready
It may well be true. I got no prob with the idea that he’s making a mistake. Your delivery seemed dismissive is all. He’s a Duke guy afterall.

Reactions: Dattier and sgrooms
It may well be true. I got no prob with the idea that he’s making a mistake. Your delivery seemed dismissive is all. He’s a Duke guy afterall.

It's hard to consider so many one and dones "one of our own" though. They technically are of course but it's starting to just feel like a bunch of visitors. Harder to say goodbye to multi-year players. But I do I hope he does well just some of these choices make me wonder what their ultimate goal is

Reactions: DukeDenver
Great kid, solid basketball player. I think he’ll struggle his first couple of years due to his lack of athleticism but once he matures and develops I think he’ll be a solid contributor in the nba. Best of luck Gary!

I'm not upset at any of these one and dones either. Go make what you can.
This board is so divided though over one and dones. Most don't mind recruiting them, but I'm one that doesn't want the starting lineup full of them. Seems that the people that want the best talent we can get assume that those that don't are totally against the one and done. Totally untrue.
I never realized that people that pull for the same team can have such different views. It's almost like we don't like the same team.

Reactions: christophero
I didnt expect Duval to go, but Gary i did. Wish the kid best of luck, it was fun as hell watching him shoot this past season!

- If he wasn't planning OAD from the start, he might have never bothered with Duke. Maybe he would have preferred a school he could be the primary option from Day 1 for 2+ years

- Does the G League success of Cook or even Tyus encourage or discourage players like Trent/Duval from leaving although rated low?

There have been significantly worse declarations: IMO Giles.

It's hard to consider so many one and dones "one of our own" though. They technically are of course but it's starting to just feel like a bunch of visitors. Harder to say goodbye to multi-year players. But I do I hope he does well just some of these choices make me wonder what their ultimate goal is
Probably the same as every Duke undergrad, to get qualified for a great career.

I'm not upset at any of these one and dones either. Go make what you can.
This board is so divided though over one and dones. Most don't mind recruiting them, but I'm one that doesn't want the starting lineup full of them. Seems that the people that want the best talent we can get assume that those that don't are totally against the one and done. Totally untrue.
I never realized that people that pull for the same team can have such different views. It's almost like we don't like the same team.
Î

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT